Join Date: Jun 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FYI, IIRC, about 50% of eczema in kids is food-allergic eczema. My son's eczema was mainly that before we figured out his food triggers, but now it's more from environmental issues.
* vanicream for daily use (you can get it at your local pharmacy; if they don't have it they should be able to order it);
* 20 minute lukewarm baths once a day with NO soap;
* dustmite protectors on beds;
* hot water washes (drying on hot) for bedding once a week;
* all pets and stuffed animals and books kept out of the bedroom; some people also move to no curtains or rugs or carpets in the bedroom
* change of clothing and a bath immediately upon coming inside from playing outside in spring/fall/summer (i.e. pollen season);
* food/allergen exposure diary to try to identify triggers
* we use Sportswash lanudry detergent: soaps etc can be a big trigger of skin issues
* aggressive use of prescription steroids EARLY on problem patches; when we do this (I know you didn't want to do this) on the first day he has a bad patch, after two or three applications it's often gone. We almost never have real flaring problem spots anymore, but when we do and I let a problem patch go, it ends up we use more steroids in the long run. we now only have to do this three or four times a year, usually when he's had a diet exposure by accident.
* daily antihistamine to control itching
* onesies and other clothes that minimize the areas he can get to; plus clipped nails
* all cotton clothing; we aim for organic when he's having a bad flare
We have not had to do this, but wetwrapping can make an enormous difference in a child's skin.
What are your five foods and how long have you been on the diet?
Our lifeline in our allergy journey has been the forums at http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org
It sounds like you are doing a great job! Wow, five foods! How do you do it?
Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.
I didn't list everything we do, but your list is the one I would have written!
*We give him 2 20-minute baths a day. No soap. Fresh washcloth and towel for each bath.
*Goop him up with Vanicream & cortisone on the hot spots. (the vanicream lotion on his face, alternating with cortisone).
*We were wet wrapping him (for his arms and legs and chest) for a few weeks and now have stopped.
*We use a very "clean" detergent and it doesn't seem to aggrevate him.
*We are moving our cats to my MILs house and then we'll do a deep cleaning to get rid of as much dander as possible.
*He sleeps in an Amby hammock (much of the time) and we change his sheet on that daily, pretty much.
*We swaddle him to sleep, still at 7 month old, so he won't scratch in his sleep.
*All cotton clothing.
And we LOVE LOVE LOVE kidswithfoodallergies.com. It's been a lifesaver for us, truly.
Our TED includes:
We just added RICE this weekend (gave it to him directly and for us). So far so good *knocks on wood*.
I would just like to know if other people have cleared up bad eczema without steroids. We're afraid not to use them, because we just can't handle it getting back to being as bad as it was.
|162 members and 19,977 guests|
|*LoveBugMama* , 1babysmom , 2moms15 , agilesheltie , ahuck , Aillidh , Alyssa Cole Beseris , angeebaby , Angelorum , Anne Jividen , apeydef , AuntNi , babymoon16 , badwolf092087 , bananabee , barefootchica , belltree , blessedwithboys , bluefaery , Brittee , calico_aster , captainkitty2 , catladymeow , Celestical , Cherry_Blossom , chickabiddy , cmechelle , Crazybean , Crimson8 , Daisy8s , Dawn's mom , Deborah , drarmywife , DungeonQueen , easydoesit , Emanresu , emmy526 , EMRguy , eternalw , Ethelpea , Evelynflower , floss&ferd , forestfoster , frances bakin' , frugalmama , graphica , greenemami , hb2mom , hillymum , homebirthy , htovjm , ian'smommaya , Incubator , Iron Princess , IsaFrench , JadePlant , JamieCatheryn , japonica , JayaSky , jazzmom74 , Jessica765 , kathymuggle , Kelleybug , kitteh , kivada , kosh , KosmicMama , leftcoaster , lightheartedmom , lilmissgiggles , LiLStar , LittleHoneyFlower , loba , Lomelindi , loveandlight33 , lulu37688 , Mallow , Mama Chickadee , mama2004 , mama24-7 , mamabear0314 , MamaChick , mamadee17 , mamamargo , mamamash , mamaprovides , mariamadly , marilyn612 , MDgal , meeba , metafisica , Mirzam , missmason , MissMuffet , MN BabyDust , mnj77 , MountainMamaGC , Mpattit , MPsSweetie , MulberryMom , Mummoth , MylittleTiger , NaturallyKait , Nazsmum , newmamalizzy , NiteNicole , oaksie68 , oldsmom , orangemomma , pinoke , pokeyac , quantumleap , rainydaywoman , RollerCoasterMama , samaxtics , sandiegongp , SandiMae , sarafl , Satori , SeattleRain , Serafina33 , shantimama , Shmootzi , siennaflower , sillysapling , Smokering , sofreshsoclean , sortacrispy , SplashingPuddle , Springshowers , ssun5 , stardogs , StepGirlfriend , SummerStorm22 , sunshynbaby , suvisade , SweetSilver , TheBugsMomma , thtr4me , Tiffa , Tigerle , tomsmom31 , TourmalineMama , TrishWSU , typebug , Wai , whatacrazyworld , WhiteRose , Wild Lupine , Wild Rose , zebra15 , zoeyzoo|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|