Pregnant w/ #2 - wwy eat/eliminate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-28-2007, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Howdy! I'm 22 weeks along with #2. DD1 is highly allergic, so I've been very careful with my diet ever since she's been born. I've been educating myself for 4 years now in preparation for this pregnancy. I've been dairy and gluten-free for about 2 years. We now eat all organic, traditional foods.

Anyway, yesterday, DD handled some pecans for the first time, and I didn't make her wash her hands like I usually do. This girl has never eaten a nut, but she's been so much better that I had been considering trying her on a nut. But it was a careless mistake of mine to not have her wash her hands. She's handled walnuts plenty of times, but I always make her wash her hands.

So about 30 minutes later, she had a sneezing attack like you wouldn't believe, and her eyes swelled about 1/2 closed. It was horrible, and thank God for the Benadryl! I'm sure this was because she probably used her hands on her nose right about that time.

So this has me thinking - should I eliminate nuts from my diet? Naturally, I've eaten no peanuts or peanut products. I have not eliminated all of DD's allergens from my diet, just the dairy & gluten. I love to eat almonds & almond butter, and occasionally walnuts & pecans.

I know that this baby is starting out so much better than DD. Our entire diet changed when she was born, so I'm really praying that this baby does not suffer the same fate as DD. But with DD's terrible reaction to just touching the pecans, I'm wondering if I should eliminate nuts from my diet. :

What do y'all think? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-28-2007, 06:33 PM

Allergies are not genetic. I mean, if you or your husband has allergies your children are more likely to have them, but there is no guarantee. Also, there is no guarantee that your children will have the same allergies as you. I am allergic to peanuts. Nothing major, thankfully, but am allergic. However, I craved peanuts and peanut butter when I was pregnant with my son. Of my 3 kids, it is only my youngest that I suspect having a peanut allergy. My mom has several food allergies and of her kids, I am the only one who has any food allergies, and we are not allergic to the same things. I guess what I am really trying to say is that if it would make you feel better, cut out nuts, but it won't necessarily make any difference.

Crystal
#3 of 4 Old 08-29-2007, 10:14 PM
DDC

I am also pregnant with #2, and number 1 has a lot of allergies:
egg, milk, soy, shellfish, some beans and peanuts (all these seem to be decreasing thank goodness) also some tree nuts and we just found out: sesame seeds (these might not go away

We see 2 allergists for our son and both advised that my prenatal diet wouldn;t have much impact on #2's allergies, but since nuts, legumes and shellfish weren't essential for nutrients i could cut them out if i wanted.

anyway, for the pregnancy i have cut out nuts and seeds, i eat legumes and shellfish sparingly (2x for each in 7 months)

Once this kid is born i plan on eliminating ALL allergens as i did when breastfeeding #1 (once i found out, at 8 months...), hoping we won't have the same problems with eczema, etc, but we'll see

who knows if he'll have the same allergies even!

knowing about everything but the sesame seeds, we had gotten used to a certain way of eating and what were safe foods when we ate out etc., now knowing about the seeds as well (and the Dr. telling us to avoid ALL seeds (which are everywhere--in cooking oils, etc,) makes me feel like we're starting from scratch and is disheartening, so i know a little how you feel....
#4 of 4 Old 08-31-2007, 11:48 PM

I would take a much more proactive approach than eliminating foods.

Whether one is allergic or not is greatly influenced by the strength of your immune system: and the immune system runs on nutrients and good gut flora. And it is damaged by antibiotics, vaccines, sugar, etc.

This thread explains that even if you avoid the foods while pg/nursing, the proteins will still stick around in your body. It's much better to think about boosting your immune system and considering what can trigger an allergic immune system in the first place:

How Not to Have an Allergic Child
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=471144

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page