blueberry allergy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2003, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 16 month DD had blueberries (loved them!) for the first time yesterday at about 2:30pm. She was fine all day until 11:30pm when she vomited in bed. She continued to vomit (no fever) until 2am - every hour or so. For dinner she had had spinach salad, corn on the cob, and watermelon. (lunchtime was a turkey and cheese "burrito") The only new food was the blueberries. I have heard they can be allergenic - anyone have a similar experience? My DD has only ever thrown up once before, and only one time, not up all night. Also, the blueberries came up undigested in her vomit. It's just a shame if this is the case, she loves them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2003, 07:13 PM

I have not heard of this before with blueberries.
My thought was the mix of watermelon and veggies. Your stomach excretes different enzymes to digest each of these types of food. I have always heard to only eat melons alone not combined with other foods. But the fact that the blueberries came up whole is peculiar...
How was she the next day? You might want to make sure she is chewing the blueberries. My dd also LOVED blueberries at that age with no problems, (except tooth decay not just the bb's,but I think they were a culprit).
Your dd sounds like a "great eater"!!!!!
My thought is more with the lunch which may have caused the bb's to not digest, but I don't really know.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'm sure it was just a case of bad food combining, or a stomach virus. I had forgotten that she had had dried blueberries in a granola bar before, although not sure if that is quite the same as a dozen or so fresh ones. She is fine now - although asking to nurse more than usual. Aloha! We love Kauai...
Old 07-21-2003, 12:46 AM

Nurse on!!!!!!!!!
Yes, Kauai is a blessed place to live......
Old 02-11-2008, 02:37 AM

I am still working on getting my 3 year old girl to potty train, So she is in pul ups, She is usually pretty normal, but when she's not i know she's had blueberries. What is it in them that throws your digestive tract off so much? She loves them too but her body rejects them. Any ideas? Our 6 year old doesn't seem to have any allergies just VERY picky and hates bread unless it it on pizza and likes my healthy cookies and cakes, and so far our 10 week old just loves me. Talia (3) was 5 weeks early could being pre-term affect how she digests food? She was healthy, just really bad teeth and eczema. thanks for any help

User Tag List