Banana allergy in toddler? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-20-2003, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't want this post to be too graphic but I need to know something. My dd started out eating bananas as one of her first foods and seemed to do fine with them. Then she went through a phase where she didn't want to eat them for a long time. She's 2.5 now and suddenly crazy about eating them. She'll have 1-3 a day! Normally she's very constipated and I've tried everything to get rid of it (prune juice, cutting out dairy, etc).

Well since she's been on this banana craze her bms have gone the other direction. Very loose (not quite runny), slimy and *very* foul-smelling. I thought at first she had a virus, even took her out of cloth dipes for awhile because it was so horrible to clean them (I have m/s). Then we ran out of bananas and she was fine, then bought some more, she ate one and a few hours later had 3 nasty bm's over the course of 6 hours. She will do like 4 bms a day after eating bananas where normally she will do 1 a day or every other day.

Is this an allergy do you think, or are the bananas just giving her the fiber or whatever she needs to cure constipation?
I mean I'm glad they are helping with her constipation but man, it's foul!

Thanks!
Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#2 of 9 Old 07-20-2003, 02:13 PM

I have always heard of bananas as a constipating food...I don't think they have any fiber! That's why they're part of the BRAT diet for diarrhea: bananas, rice, um, something that I forget, and toast. Things that are supposed to plug up the system.

I have also heard that people often crave foods to which they are allergic. At least I've heard this for dairy: that kids who chug 8 glasses of milk a day are often dairy intolerant.

I would think that bananas should be cut way down or out of her diet altogether. Normal poops don't look and smell that way, so I don't think bananas are the answer to her constipation problems!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 9 Old 07-20-2003, 03:03 PM

Dunno.
But, as part of our elimination diet for ds, we cut out all latex foods to look for an allergy. Bananas are one of them. Dr. said that it's such a common first food and it's poss we overdid it. But, we didn't give bananas as much as avocados which are also part of the group.

sorry i don't know more-good luck!
#4 of 9 Old 07-20-2003, 04:40 PM

Bananas are a food that work for both constipation & diarhea.
Maybe it's her way of clearing out some of the toxins in her body built up after being constipated. Perhaps the bananas are helping her cleanse and the foulness is not so much the banana as the built up toxins.
I believe that when kids can choose the foods they want, they will choose the foods that their bodies need. If she eats them like that it could be her body's telling her what it needs.
#5 of 9 Old 07-20-2003, 04:40 PM

Yep! Bananas are on the constipation list.
I would cut them out for now...
What about her diet as a whole? Is she eating other fruits, drinking water? I would definitely be giving her daily doses of probiotics to help balance out her intestines.....
As for an allergy....How young was she when she first had bananas? I have heard that babies who start eating solids early on tend to get more food allergies. But I don't know if this would be an allergy symptom......?
#6 of 9 Old 07-20-2003, 04:50 PM

Are the bananas that she's eating organic? If not, it could be the pesticides and not the bananas.
#7 of 9 Old 07-22-2003, 05:26 PM

I do know that some people with latex allergies are sensitive to bananas because they contain a similar substance. I can't remember where I got this information I know I can't eat bananas.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#8 of 9 Old 07-23-2003, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your input! I stopped giving them and her constipation returned. My SIL and MIL both have very bad chronic constipation that they have had since infancy, and nothing will make it very much better. Not diet changes or even laxitives. I think dd may have picked up that tendency. I even cut out her vitamins for awhile thinking it was the iron and only give her one 1-2 times a week at the most.

She's allergic to fleece (liners in her dipes) so it wouldn't suprise me if she's allergic to latex too. I am slightly allergic myself and can't use condoms or the Keeper.

I started her on bananas at 4 mos. old following the ped's advice. I know better now to delay foods and next baby will start solids at around 9 mos. unless it's begging for them earlier than that. I also was not so great about following the allergy prevention diet. She got peanuts and citrus and other foods before one year but has never shown any sign of food allergies until now, and not quite sure that's what it is yet. I'll try again in a few weeks and see if they have the same effect.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#9 of 9 Old 07-23-2003, 11:18 PM

How about probiotics? I would give them to her on a daily basis knowing her history and that of relatives.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page