Allergy testing for 6 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2007, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS has his 6 month appointment coming up in a couple of weeks, and I think I need to ask for allergy testing for him. For the past week or so, he has had a hard time breathing at night from a stuffed up nose, he has been rubbing his eyes and nose HARD nearly all the time and because of this has constantly red and watery eyes and nose.

It doesn't seem too serious right now, but he is definitely reacting to something. I do have two cats but there is no history of cat allergies in either side of his family. Could it be the cats? Or could it be something else?

I know it really could be anything, but I guess my real question is, Can a 6 month old even be tested for allergies? And if he is allergic to the cats, if I found new homes for them, how would I go about getting the cat dander out of my house? It seems like there is cat hair EVERYWHERE...

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2007, 02:00 AM

A 6 month old can have allergy testing done, but the blood tests (RAST) are not terribly accurate for babies.

Cat dander is difficult to get out of the house even after the cat is long gone. You'd have to rip up any carpets, and have the duct work cleaned.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have any carpets and have only lived here for three weeks, so most of the hair is on the furniture.

Do they still do the old "scratch tests"? Would that be any more accurate?

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 09-21-2007, 03:40 PM

I don't think they would do the scratch tests on that young of a child. I know I had a small scratch test done as a kid, but I was 3, I think. As for getting the dander out, I would get the furniture shampooed and whatever you can, wash on hot in the washer.

Crystal
Old 09-21-2007, 04:23 PM

Hi
My DD was scratch tested at 3 mons old. It is possible BUT you can get false positives with foods etc.. the other way to go is to go to the Naturaopath for Vega testing. 3 of my kids have had both done with almost the same results.. Dairy showed up for my youngest DD on the scratch test but not on vega. I would ask for it..

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
Old 09-21-2007, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmom View Post
Hi
My DD was scratch tested at 3 mons old. It is possible BUT you can get false positives with foods etc.. the other way to go is to go to the Naturaopath for Vega testing. 3 of my kids have had both done with almost the same results.. Dairy showed up for my youngest DD on the scratch test but not on vega. I would ask for it..
What is Vega testing? I have never been to a naturopath, but would definitely like to see one rather than a regular physician, although I do love my ped.

I did call my ped today, and she said not to get rid of the cats yet, as it might actually help to strenthen his immune system and make him more tolerant of them when he is older, but if they go now, he might just be more sensitized to them and have bigger reactions when exposed when he is older. It sort of made sense to me, we will have to see how he keeps reacting.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:02 PM

yup its perfectly safe

User Tag List