Gluten or Wheat Allergy - Behavioral Correlation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-25-2007, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can a gluten or wheat allergy present as behavioral in nature? I spent a loooong time with a behavioral psychologist yesterday discussing my 28 month old's behaviors, and the very first thing she mentioned was a possible food allergy. We've long ago eliminated food coloring and preservatives, he eats really just whole foods, but lots of grains. Could his tantruming, hours of crying and head rubbing be a food allergy??
#2 of 13 Old 09-25-2007, 12:17 PM

my ds has a pretty intense behavioural reaction to wheat (possibly gluten). he is inconsolable, tantrums all day long, downright MEAN, angry. . . . it is awful. ever since we figured it out (2-3 months ago), he has been much better.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#3 of 13 Old 09-25-2007, 12:31 PM

My 15 mo old has multiple food allergies. His dairy allergy is anaphylactic and severe. His other allergies manifest absolutely zero symptoms except behavioral ones. We didn't even know until he had positive skin test reactions to several things. Once we cut those out of our diet, his behavior has improved dramatically. Our allergist claims that behavior isn't a symptom of food allergies, but I beg to differ. I suppose the other issue is that they feel so crappy that they act out. At 15 months it's hard to know. I'd assume at 28 months it's difficult as well.
#4 of 13 Old 09-25-2007, 04:02 PM

My daughters soy allergy shows in eczema and behavior changes. She goes freakin nuts when she eats soy protien! She's mean, hits, runs way more than usual (she's always active, but more so with soy), screams, doesn't sleep and generally just crazy. When we slip up, we all pay.

Good luck.

Mama of three.

#5 of 13 Old 09-26-2007, 12:15 AM

I think any allergy can create behaviour issues. Especially food allergies. Especially in really young children who can't fully integrate what's wrong in their bodies. I would look into it.
#6 of 13 Old 09-26-2007, 12:17 AM

I also just noticed your location: Sleep Deprivation, USA. That, in and of itself, could be the culprit, but the underlying sleep issue could absolutely be allergy related. Good luck.
#7 of 13 Old 09-26-2007, 06:03 PM

oh god, for us all the primary signs of our son (5) having eaten gluten are behavioural - obessive behaviour, weeping, screaming, black moods, writhing on the floor, poor sleep - OYE! Other stuff creeps up later. He tests negative with allergy and blood tests though - but we know differently! I asked a similar question on a celiac parents forum and most people said behaviour was a primary symptom.
#8 of 13 Old 09-26-2007, 07:51 PM

My 5yo tested positive for a wheat allergy when he was younger, but now tests negative. His behavior definitely changes when he has wheat.

It's food. It affects everything. Our allergist admits that it's possible that the wheat is still a sensitivity. I think if he told me this connection wasn't possible, I'd get a new allergist.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#9 of 13 Old 09-26-2007, 08:24 PM

Just wanted to say "it's good to see you here..."
You've got what it takes to figure out what's going on with MT!
Go Bethany!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#10 of 13 Old 09-26-2007, 10:31 PM

Best way to tell is to cut out gluten for a few weeks and see if there are changes. You could also also try a digestive enzyme targeted for wheat:
http://www.enzymedica.com/products/GlutenEase

It can take a few weeks before seeing improvements with the enzymes. Read about enzymes here:http://www.enzymestuff.com/

My son is clingy and weepy when I have wheat. He has never had it.

Good luck!

We create our own reality.
#11 of 13 Old 09-27-2007, 11:47 AM

we're in the process of waiting out a celiac diagnosis (biopsy is next.) we see lots of behavioural changes we believe are due to gluten. obsessive, neurotic behavior mostly. incontinence is another problem that only happens on gluten. i've been reading "the 4 a's: asthma, allergies, adhd, and autism" (title is wrong i'm sure.) food allergies are the first thing he recommends addressing...

Aspiring midwife-mama to 2 beautiful homebirthed boys ages 3 and 6...
#12 of 13 Old 09-27-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalex View Post
we're in the process of waiting out a celiac diagnosis (biopsy is next.) we see lots of behavioural changes we believe are due to gluten. obsessive, neurotic behavior mostly. incontinence is another problem that only happens on gluten. i've been reading "the 4 a's: asthma, allergies, adhd, and autism" (title is wrong i'm sure.) food allergies are the first thing he recommends addressing...
The tests can be wrong, so even if he comes out without a diagnosis from the biopsy I still recommend eliminating it and then adding it back in to see what changes in his behavior.

We create our own reality.
#13 of 13 Old 09-27-2007, 03:14 PM

heavy metal toxicity is another reason that kids have a big change in their behavior. A hair analysis may be something to look into.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page