Need Help Interpreting IgG Blood Test Results - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-09-2007, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I just got the results back from my 3 yo son's IgG blood test from Metatetrix. Can anyone help me interpret them and figure out what to do with this info? Here are the foods that were classified as mild or moderate:

Casein - 659 (Moderate)
Milk - 555 (Moderate)
Pork - 63 (Mild)
Walnut - 41 (Mild)

I had this test done to see if my son has any food intolerances/ sensitivities that may be attributing to his (sometimes) aggressive behavior. Does it sound like he maybe intolerant enough to casein/milk that it bothers/aggravates him? I'm assuming I should make sure he has no dairy derivatives, right, and he'll feel better?

Also, do the pork and walnut sound like a big deal at all?

Thanks for your help!
#2 of 6 Old 10-09-2007, 03:00 PM

mild/moderate/etc is relative, IMO.

I would cut everything out and see what happens. Give it a good month to get everything out of his system and for his gut to start healing. I would also supplement with a multi-strain pro-biotic and a vitamin (food allergic kids are notorious for not absorbing all the nutrients they need).

You might find that he is okay with pork, despite the allergy. Or you might find that even a bite of a ham sandwich makes him squirrelly. You'll never know until you do the elimination.

Good luck!

If you need dairy-free recipes and dairy-substitutions let me know and I'll PM you my resources (DD1 is dairy, garlic, turmeric, poppyseed, pinto & navy bean allergic. I'm tree-nut allergic. We are so much fun to cook for. )

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#3 of 6 Old 10-11-2007, 02:54 AM

I interpret it to mean that he's got moderate allergies to dairy and he has trace allergies to pork and nuts. (once they are allergic to a specific nut, you really should cut them ALL out... as they are ALL processed together).

My daughter is trace on pork and carrots and we still completely eliminate it.... just as much as we eliminate her +4 ana reaction allergies.

I agree cutting them all out and seeing how he does.

Meno... my dd was allergic to garlic (and wheat, rye, tree nuts, pork, carrots) for quite a while. We just got garlic and wheat back... we've only formally introduced the garlic (because her rye reaction is still high we won't do the wheat) and MAN... life is sooooooooo much easier with garlic again! I feel your pain!

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#4 of 6 Old 10-11-2007, 09:06 AM

Karen - How long were you garlic-free? I'm totally okay with the dairy at this point i.e. 5 months in. But the garlic is killin' me. I joke and say the first garlic-free meal dd EVER had was the lunch I made after getting her bloodtest results back... I joke, but seriously... [Sorry to hijack. :]

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#5 of 6 Old 10-11-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post
Karen - How long were you garlic-free? I'm totally okay with the dairy at this point i.e. 5 months in. But the garlic is killin' me. I joke and say the first garlic-free meal dd EVER had was the lunch I made after getting her bloodtest results back... I joke, but seriously... [Sorry to hijack. :]
Two VEEEERRRRYYYYYYYY long years! It was brutal!

I smothered EVERYTHING in garlic since I started cooking... and it was very hard for us to give up the flavor. I tried to substitute it with onion, but unfortunately, onions and garlic have the same chemical makeup, so I stopped doing that to make sure she didn't react. I did find some recipes for seasoning salts and taco seasoning that were garlic free, so that helped to get some flavor back in our lives. If you want them, let me know and I'll look them up for you! I also found recipes for things like cream of mushroom soup and other little things that you take for granted in recipes, but contain garlic. I also even found 1 brand of hot dog that was pork AND garlic free and 1 brand of chicken stock that was garlic free (never did find a beef stock, so I just made my own). I can't tell you how many years I've spent on the phone (or at least it felt like years) with manufacturers getting the contents of "natural flavors" or "spices".

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#6 of 6 Old 10-17-2007, 04:04 AM

how old is DS? Does he have any other allergic type symptoms such as eczema, flushing, asthma, etc? My DD had Jeckyl and Hyde aggression (which just wasnt normal for her) w other allergic symptoms that were 98% eliminated after going gluten free and low salicylates/low glutamates/low amines. Everytime we arent careful with her diet...her symptoms all creep back. You could check out Feingold (Fiengold?) diet or FAILSAFE diet for behaviour. Many people sensitive to gluten complain about behaviour changes such as agression and rages. Was he tested for gluten?

We were on very restrictive elimination diet and since we began challenging foods, we have never quite got her health back fully. although now it is mostly different (digestive type) symptoms. Either she is becoming sensitive to new foods that used to be fine for her (??why??) or some other health concern has arisen...??? She is still 90% better than b4 we began eliminating foods....trying a rotation diet next in the hopes that she wont become allergic to anything new.

all the best to you and your son

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page