Epi pen question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-23-2007, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had to get an epi pen jr for my daughter. She is 21 months old and over the weekend developed a severe reaction to what we have determined to be nuts that I ate. I had them at breakfast, and at 1pm she was covered in hives. I also prepared food for her and changed diapers after handling the nuts.

We will be doing further testing, but since I am in Canada, I have to wait for a referral to a paediatrician.

I picked up the prescription for it this morning, and read the package. It is dosed for children 15 to 30 kg. She is no where near the minimum dosing. She is at the most 10kg (around 22 pounds). Is there an infant epi pen? I am guessing if she has an anaphylactic reaction I will be calling 911, but I don't want to cause further harm if the epi pen is too much.

I'm all : about this.

Sandra SAHM to Kayleigh and welcoming Emily January 2010
#2 of 3 Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 PM

The best they can do for an little one is individule shots adn vials of epinepherine. Call who ever gave you the script and ask if they can do that instead and then ask someone to show you how to do it.

We were lucky to be at the min. weight for the epi-pen jr. but a friend of mine has the individule shots for her son.

good luck.

Mama of three.

#3 of 3 Old 10-24-2007, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Oh dear! That sounds sorta scary, but I will do what I have to do. I suppose I should call our doctor and see what she says. I never even thought that she would be too small for it.

Sandra SAHM to Kayleigh and welcoming Emily January 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page