Update on banana allergy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-01-2003, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to thank those of you who posted about my dd's possible banana allergy based on her foul bm's when she eats them, and about her chronic constipation despite me adding things to her diet to help with that. I was especially interested to learn from one poster that people who have a latex allergy are also often allergic to bananas.

That made a lot of sense to me since my dd's also sensitive to the fleece liners we tried in her diapers for awhile. It makes even more sense when I was doing some research on a condition dd has called spina bifida occulta which is manifested as a small deep dimple on her tailbone. I just read that people with sb are very commonly allergic to latex!

The first ped I took dd to as a baby, about this dimple blew me off and said it was cosmetic. But dd's still a clumsy walker (although she can run like the wind), and does funny things with her legs when sitting in a carseat or stroller or sling, as well as when she's falling asleep. It's always bothered me, that she seems to be uncomfortable with something about her legs. She also walks on her toes most of the time when barefoot, and in shoes will tire quickly and stumble and ask for her stroller or for me to carry her. I keep waiting for her to outgrow this.

So after making the connection between the banana allergy and her condition, I started to think maybe she's more affected than the old ped led me to believe. She really did blow me off and made me feel dumb for asking about it.

Apparently people with spina bifida occulta condition should be monitored as they grow to catch problems such as (surprise surprise!) clumsy/odd walking, tingling/numbness in the legs, and bladder/bowel issues, which may get worse as they grow. Some kids are never affected and some are to different degrees. We are going to see our new ped about this in 2 weeks and hopefully I can get some answers and a referral to an expert if necessary.

We have cleft lips/palates in the family which is (I just learned) also considered a neural tube defect. I was told during an MRI for an unrelated back problem several years ago that I had spina bifida occulta, but it has never affected me much except for having a slighty curved back that is not flexible and back pain if I do too much.

I'm 12 weeks pg so this stuff is good to know. My ob suggested the AFP test but I'm going to decline in favor of a high level u/s at 20 weeks to look for any problems.

It's been quite a journey of putting 2 and 2 together but it all started with that banana thread. So thanks and wish us luck!

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#2 of 12 Old 08-01-2003, 09:00 PM

Good luck! It really is amazing how things in our bodies are related... even when they don't appear to be... I had never heard of spina bifida occulta. Thanks for updating.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#3 of 12 Old 08-01-2003, 11:07 PM

OMG that is incredible. Isn't it frustrating that you're paying good $ and yet have to make the connections yourself. Good for you. How awesome to have some answers and a direction to follow.

BTW: When ds1 was born, he had such a dimple and we worried until it disappeared. Dh did some research on it. Someone famous has it. Rush Limbaugh perhaps?
#4 of 12 Old 08-01-2003, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
When ds1 was born, he had such a dimple and we worried until it disappeared.
Most do, but Abi's is pretty deep and has only gotten deeper as she's grown. It looks like a small anus (sorry if that's TMI). She also had a skin tag between it and her anus but that went away as she grew.

Hey, maybe she'll be famous someday! She has a birthmark on one of her bum cheecks too! :-)

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#5 of 12 Old 08-02-2003, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by USAmma
She also walks on her toes most of the time when barefoot, and in shoes will tire quickly and stumble and ask for her stroller or for me to carry her. I keep waiting for her to outgrow this.
Hi Darshani, I have no idea if the tiptoe walking has to do with the spina bifida occulta or not, but I had a problem toe walking when I was young and wanted to let you know about it, so you can keep an eye on your daughter if it might be a seperate issue before its a huge pain in the behind to correct...

I have no idea why I walked on my toes when I was little. But I *always* walked on my toes (different from you dd since she doesn't toe walk all the time). I would also tire out walking *so* quickly. I couldn't make it around one level of the mall. And that was when I was a fit thin healthy child. Well after my dad took me to doctor after doctor (who all blew it off... one doc even said "well all football players run on their toes" : ) he finally took me to shriners in SF (I was about 7ish then). Turned out that because I walked so often on my toes (either most or all of the time) my achilies tendon never grew very long. I couldn't physically at that point even put my left heel on the ground, not even with the doctor's trying to help force it a little. They thought surgery, and then I'd have to wear casts for a year or more after... but decided not to do the surgery (which was if I remember correctly them slightly 'snipping' the tendon and then it would grow better?? : Sorry I was about 7 at the time and don't fully remember it all in detail). So what they did was push my foot as far up as they could and cast both my legs to right below my knees. They replaced the casts monthly, and it took about a year to get to where I could walk ok and bend my feet ok. Then I had to wear braces for another year or so. It was a big pain to go through all of that, and the doctor's said it would have been easier if it was caught earlier.

Soooo while all of this could have nothing to do with your daughter, since I have no clue if its anything even similar to my problem, I thought I would pass along the story, because if there is even a small chance that you knowing this would help your daughter I wanted you to know. Having casts for a year straight was no fun at all. And all the years before that when I couldn't walk/run as much as other kids wasn't fun either.

Hope I didn't bore you with all of that now!

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#6 of 12 Old 08-02-2003, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Lisa!

Our new ped did say her tendons are a little short but not bad-- told me to stretch them daily which I've done. She does walk flat on her feet but like I said it takes a lot of effort for her. She doesn't run on her toes at all though, she runs very normally. So not sure if it's a habit, or tendons, or somehow related to sb. I too have very short tendons. Even though I was a world class long distance runner for 10 years I always failed the Presidential Fitness thing because of toe reach. I fell way short of standards.

Darshani

#7 of 12 Old 08-02-2003, 12:24 PM

Hey Darshani,

have you ever taken dd to a naturopath? Seems like they are more likely to make those kind of connections between food allergies and other physical conditions.

Thats interesting about walking on toes.....My dh does that and I always thought it was bc he is a Sag. You know, the half man half horse symbol. I bet it is his tendons bc he has alot of injuries from playing soccor so many years.........
#8 of 12 Old 08-02-2003, 01:03 PM

Another thing that toe-walking can be an indication of is autism spectrum disorders. I know this because my nephew has asperger's syndrome- and his pediatricians kept missing the diagnosis until my sister researched it herself and took him to be tested (a long waiting list) at theuniversity and that was his problem.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#9 of 12 Old 08-02-2003, 06:35 PM

Well I'm glad it doesn't look like its the problem I had I figured it would probably be a long shot that it was...

Your poor dd though! I love bananas!! Hope your new Ped is good to you both

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#10 of 12 Old 08-03-2003, 02:09 PM

I have a friend who has been an ER nurse for 20 some years. She developed a latex allergy after many years and now gets weird tingling in her mouth and very foul poop if she eats bananna. She was in a minot car wreck last year and had a MRI.
She also was found to have a *very occult* spina bifida occulta. How interesting. She, nor none of her physicians have ever put any of this together. WOW even.
Does your daughter have a tuft of hair by or in her dimple?

You are one smart mamma. Kudos to you for being such an educated and determined advocate for her!!!
#11 of 12 Old 08-04-2003, 12:08 AM

a quick tendon stretching exercise is to stand with her toes on a step , holding on to somehting if she wants, and let her heels drop. DH has a similar tendon issue.
#12 of 12 Old 08-04-2003, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Does your daughter have a tuft of hair by or in her dimple?
Just the dimple, and a skin tag at birth that disappeared as she grew. The dimple seems to be getting deeper though.

I'll update you after her appt. on the 11th!

Darshani

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page