Can you be allergic/sensitive to milk, but not other dairy products? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 11-11-2007, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD (almost 18 mths) can eat cheese, cottage cheese, or yogurt all day if and be fine (aka, no butt rash, formed stools, happy baby, etc), but you give her a couple of tablespoons of milk and she has a rash/diarhea and is super fussy.

DH is a super coffee fiend, and will often give her a little plastic shot glass full of foamed milk (so maybe 1 tsp total milk, just foamed) and she seems to be ok with this. Until yesterday when she was projectile vomiting all evening and the only thing we can think of was that she had some foamed milk once on Friday and twice on Saturday.

So it is possible to have a milk-only allergy (or sensitivity)? It seems that any processed dairy is fine (yogurt, cheese, etc), but pasteurized cows milk is a no no. I've considered trying to track down some raw milk or try goat milk just for curiosity's sake, but we don't actually care if she drinks cow's milk. Mama milk and water are just fine so far.

TIA!!!

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#2 of 24 Old 11-11-2007, 08:59 PM

Umm no, its not really possible. If she's allergic to milk, then she should avoid everything else. Now she could have an inotlerance to milk, which is why she's tolerating some milk based stuff but not others. Your best bet is to have her tested.
#3 of 24 Old 11-11-2007, 09:54 PM

If she's truly allergic, than while at this point she may tolerate some cheese, yogurt, she shouldn't be eating it. I decided to not give my kids dairy till I thought they were able to handle milk as well (though we don't drink it anymore). This was 2.5yo for the boys and I'm no planning on adding it till at least 2 w/ Ilana either.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#4 of 24 Old 11-11-2007, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Maybe lactose intolerance?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#5 of 24 Old 11-11-2007, 10:13 PM

this is me.

i can eat fermented dairy (yogurt, kefir, cheeses) but give me even just a little bit of pasteurized milk, and i become pretty sick (vomiting/nausea, bloating, cramping and diarrhea ). i can drink raw dairy without a problem, however.

i do think that it's possible to have an intolerance for standard dairy. imo the pasteurization or homogenization process changes the milk proteins.
#6 of 24 Old 11-11-2007, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Ruthla, I'd contemplated lactose intolerance, but she's still nursing and is just fine with my milk, which someone pointed out long ago to me, would have more lactose in it than cow's milk.

nola and peach, so she's probably not allergic, or she'd be reacting strongly to other dairy b/c if you're allergic to milk, then you're allergic to the proteins, which would still be in the processed dairy, right? I probably should get her tested, although I've told the Ped this before and she blew me off.

kidspiration, that's really good to know! I'm glad you mentioned that. So you CAN drink raw milk, but have you tried goat's or other species milk or is it just the pasteurization? Have you had that problem with any of your LO's?

#7 of 24 Old 11-12-2007, 12:09 AM

My DD isn't allergic to milk (she's been tested), but she is intolerant of it (fussy and diarrhea). However, she can eat cheese, and yogurt with no problems. I agree that the proteins are probably changed when the dairy is processed. I haven't tried raw milk, as it's not easy to find around here. We just avoid giving her milk.
#8 of 24 Old 11-12-2007, 11:39 PM

My DS who is almost 2.5 is also allergic to milk but he is ok with cheese and yogurt,
Our ND and MD has said that it is the way cheese and yogurt are processed and fermented, Milk is in a more natural form leaving more room for a reaction.
I know it is possible b/c I have seen it in my son, I gave him 1 tbspn on milk only a few months ago to check his allergy and he started choking, shortly after he broke out in a rash on his face and his bum when he poop.
I do give him cheese and yogurt and he has not had a problem Just my experience though.
#9 of 24 Old 11-15-2007, 07:16 PM

My DD gets very sick from milk or ice cream but can tolerate about one ounce of cheese or butter or yogurt per day. More than that and she's screaming in her sleep from the reflux that milk causes.

The proteins are very soluble in liquid milk and that's why they make so many people sick. I can't drink cow's milk, but I can eat most dairy foods without problems. Some people can tolerate steamed milk because the proteins have been denatured from the heat but cannot drink liquid cold milk.

Some people too can tolerate organic milk but not conventional because they're having a reaction to the antibiotics. :Puke
#10 of 24 Old 11-15-2007, 10:08 PM

When my son was a baby, he would throw up after having dairy. By the time he was 18 months he seemed fine on small amounts of cheese and yogurt. When he was 2 and a half, we moved in with my in-laws while DH was deployed and they have a cow. He did fine on raw milk. Earlier this year, shortly after he turned 4, the baby sitter gave him regular (store bought) milk. I had completely forgotten to tell her to give him the lactose free milk. He didn't throw it up. So we figured that he had outgrown his issues. But he started having nightmares almost every night. It took us about 6 months to figure out the correlation. We have since switched him to almond milk or goat's milk and he's fine. He doesn't have nightmares anymore or any other symptoms that we can see. He doesn't have a true allergy though, just a sensitivity.
#11 of 24 Old 11-15-2007, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm... I think DD has nightterrors. I sure hope her cheese/yogurt consumption isn't causing that.... Weird. And maybe this is indicative of larger issues that I'm not connecting. Sigh.

#12 of 24 Old 11-15-2007, 11:57 PM

My 4 month old can tolerate the raw goat milk and cheese in my breast milk but not pasteurized cow milk or cheese. She can also tolerate organic yogurt and organic sour cream with live cultures... The lactose in Hyland's homeopathics gives her a full body rash and major fussies!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#13 of 24 Old 11-16-2007, 06:01 PM

I am the same way - I cannot process uncultured milk products, but ones that are (cheese, yogurt) don't bother me. I can't remember what the reason was (diagnosed when I was 7). Pasteurization makes no difference - it's something to do with the cultures.
#14 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well all, DD has been on a dairy- and to a lesser degree, food-strike lately. I think she's teething. Anyway, she hasn't had any milk since the "episode" and hasn't had much in the way of cheese or yogurt either. Guess what happened last night???...

She slept 6 straight hours for the first time in her life. :

Weird huh? The best she's done before was 4 hours. In 18 months. She always wakes up screaming and freaking out in the middle of the night. That got worse around 11 mths or so which is also when she started to get dairy products, but lots of other things happened around then as well so I'm not totally sold yet, but I think it's worth a shot.

Anyway, thank you all for posting. I suspect that perhaps we've stumbled upon more than what we bargained for. Maybe projectile vomiting is just the tip of the iceberg.

#15 of 24 Old 11-18-2007, 08:53 PM

Absolutely. Milk is made up of two proteins, whey and casein. My DS is allergic to whey, but not casein. His scratch test was positive for milk and negative for cheese. Ditto for the RAST blood test, where I had both tested.

So theoretically, he can eat cheese, but he can't drink milk. I say theoretically because there could be cross-contamination, so he doesn't get either.
#16 of 24 Old 11-18-2007, 09:00 PM

Ds was highly allergic to milk, but could tolerate a certain amount of yoghurt and cheese. Our allergist told us that this is not uncommon as the proteins are different. We were warned to never give him milk to drink as he could have been anaphylactic to it, but to continue with small amounts of cheese and yoghurt as he'd been eating it with no problems. If he had too much cheese or yoghurt he got worse excema, but as long as I kept it in moderate amounts he gradually outgrew the allergy.

So it's very possible that your dd is allergic to milk but not other dairy products. HTH
#17 of 24 Old 11-18-2007, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

huh.... We slept 5 hours last night... this is really odd.

Good to know about the whey vs casein issue. That makes sense.

#18 of 24 Old 11-19-2007, 04:03 AM

about 18 months old, my oldest boy had big problem drinking cow's milk but tolerated yogurt, cheese, and ice cream fine. he ate baked goods or sauces that included butter. We didn't see a Dr at the time or do allergy testing, because cutting out milk worked fine.

anyway, at age 4, his igE blood tests revealed cow's milk allergy and he had to strictly come off all milk products. oh, and soy and wheat and apple and orange and rice and corn and peanut, etc.

I don't know if we could have changed this outcome, if earlier strict avoidance could have helped him outgrow it or be a 'less allergic" kid now. there's no telling, but like said above, if it is an allergic response there is no excuse to keep the food in the diet, even a little. every exposure builds up the antibodies, risking a bigger reaction in the future. He'll be 5 next month and they just gave us an epi-pen.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#19 of 24 Old 11-19-2007, 04:07 AM

Dairy hurts my gut but for some reason I can eat a little yogurt and butter and not react. DD is the same.
#20 of 24 Old 11-19-2007, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrissyy View Post
about 18 months old, my oldest boy had big problem drinking cow's milk but tolerated yogurt, cheese, and ice cream fine. he ate baked goods or sauces that included butter. We didn't see a Dr at the time or do allergy testing, because cutting out milk worked fine.

anyway, at age 4, his igE blood tests revealed cow's milk allergy and he had to strictly come off all milk products. oh, and soy and wheat and apple and orange and rice and corn and peanut, etc.
I'm seriously considering getting her tested. We slept again last night... 5 hours. She's even been "self soothing" which I'm sure our mainstream Ped will be happy to know about. : Anyway, I think I'm going to call and get an appt. I doubt having the information earlier would be a bad thing, and like you said, it may make things better in the long run.

#21 of 24 Old 11-21-2007, 05:02 PM

Here is a link on this topic which explains why I can mostly tolerate steamed milk but not cold milk and can eat cheese and other casein rich food and my very dairy allergic DD can eat a little cheese and butter.

Casein vs. whey allergy
#22 of 24 Old 11-21-2007, 05:05 PM

BTW, BambooMama, it sounds like silent reflux from the dairy.

My DD screams in her sleep, cries and wakes from silent reflux and never, ever spat up.
#23 of 24 Old 11-24-2007, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Update: We just got our first round of raw milk... she refused to put the glass down and ended up drinking almost a whole cup of it. : 3 hours later, she's pooped, peed and generally played and if anything her poo wasn't as stinky as it normally is (it's been INCREDIBLY stinky over the past few months), and was ... um, healthier in texture... :

No butt rash, no crying, and she actually seems like she's in a better mood than before. Also, she kept wanting more, which she never did with pasteurized milk.

We did ask the doctor about allergy testing last week. She suggested that before we put her through the trauma of a blood test that may not be as definitive as she'd like, to try to see if she's only lactose intolerant. We got some Lactaid... that was a disaster. It instantly gave her a huge red angry looking bum rash that took two days to go away. And the sleeping through the night stopped.

So so far it seems that raw milk was the ticket. I don't think I will put her through the trauma of allergy testing until I have a better reason to suspect an allergy to milk. Right now I suspect either a sensitivity to lactose (I found that pasteurization actually increases how much/fast you absorb lactose from milk b/c it changes to beta-lactose), OR allergic/sensitive to other factors in the milk we were giving her (aka, hormones, reduced useful enzymes, or other "artifacts" of pasteurization).

We have a raw milk cheese that's locally available (though a bit costly), a source of raw milk (which is almost as much as standard milk, and cheaper than commercial organic), and I'll make our own yogurt from the raw milk. We'll stick to those and see if we have problems. If we do then we'll allergy test.

#24 of 24 Old 11-24-2007, 11:28 PM

So glad to hear that raw milk works for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its not a small thing

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page