going gluten-free:don't feel satisfied - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2007, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I am in the process of working my way toward a gluten free diet (possibly casein too) for my son. He is still bf so I am assuming I have to do this too. My problem is that I could eat lots of gf stuff, but I don't seem to feel satisfied! I want a piece of bread!! Or cereal or something. Maybe it is because I want what I can't have, but I do feel still hungry or something no matter how much gf stuff I eat. Anyone else have this problem?

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2007, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Are you eating enough fat and protein? Have you recently cut down on your fiber intake?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 12-11-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody'smomma View Post
Hi, I am in the process of working my way toward a gluten free diet (possibly casein too) for my son. He is still bf so I am assuming I have to do this too. My problem is that I could eat lots of gf stuff, but I don't seem to feel satisfied! I want a piece of bread!! Or cereal or something. Maybe it is because I want what I can't have, but I do feel still hungry or something no matter how much gf stuff I eat. Anyone else have this problem?
I hear you. I've been gluten free for a few months now and I am definitely eating more to satiate my hunger. When I NEED carbs I'm reaching for rice - but you have to be really careful that you don't eat too much and put on a load of weight. I quit gluten as part of a thyroid diet and thought that I'd lose some weight pretty easily once my thyroid was under control. Instead, I've put on a bit more weight because in the early days I was eating WAY TOO MUCH rice.

It's not easy but you do get used to it and the result will be completely worthwhile.

PS - Besen flour (chickpea flour) is great for yummy savoury snacks.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:29 PM

We're gluten- and dairy-free, too... just made the change a couple months ago. I agree, it can be harder to feel satisfied with some of the foods that are still ok to eat. What seems to help me is to stop thinking about the things I used to eat all the time, and just eat more of what I can eat. And then when I feel hungry (sometimes 15 minutes later!)... eat MORE.

For what it's worth, protein (nuts, eggs, beans, meat) seems to stick around a lot longer than rice does.

As far as wanting bread: when I first changed our diet, I concentrated on learning new foods rather than finding substitutes for our old foods. So rather than trying quinoa or rice pasta, or buckwheat/rice/sorghum/tapioca/fava bean bread, I just made rice, or sweet potatoes, or another veggie as a side dish.

Now that I've learned some new dishes that we like and I can easily prepare, I do make bread occasionally. Bob's Red Mill has a gluten free bread that is excellent... good flavor, and it FEELS like bread. But I'm not so prone to reaching for bread as an easy meal anymore, because I have more options that I've figured out.

I'm happy to share specifics if you'd like... PM me.

Wife and Mama who homeschools-- mostly in the kitchen!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I went to a low-carb diet a few months before going GF, so I guess I went through most of my adjustments then. IIRC, I was extra hungry the first few days and then my body adjusted to lower carbs in my diet. Maybe you need to make similar adjustments with GF even if you're still eating carbs?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 12-11-2007, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

I guess it's hard because bread and pasta and crackers are so easy. And filling. I don't have much experience with this type of diet so I am having a hard time coming up with alternatives. Would anyone care to share simple meals and snacks? Or is there someplace I can go for more info? And I'm not really interested in buying more packaged food. I just want simple, homecooked meals and snacks. But I'm stuck...:

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Old 12-12-2007, 12:22 AM

I actually think it's part of the addiction. Even when you have had enough to eat your body will still be looking for it's gluten fix. In time it will pass, but it's more important than ever to avoid it completely. Sneaking a taste will just prolong the withdrawal.

Until the receptors in the brain die off you will probably feel this way. I found when I went GF that I ate non stop for about a month. Then, all of a sudden I was fine-it was like magic. One day I woke up and I just wasn't ravenous.

I agree with making choices that are nutrient dense. Eat if you feel hungry. As long as you are making healthful choices you will be okay. It's not forever.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:47 AM

I also find it hard to not eat bread. It's pretty much my favorite thing. Food for Life brown rice bread is actually good. The only issue is that it is made in a shared facility with almonds and pecans (don't know if this an issue for you). It is not on shared equipment though. I also like tinkyada pasta (or the Trader Joe's rice pasta which is made by tinkyada, and cheaper).

and for when you're really in a bind...I've heard Fritos are gluten free...
Old 12-12-2007, 01:54 AM

See, when my son went gf he finally got full! I don't hear all day now 'mommy I'm hungry' 'mommy I want to eat something' etc. It was exhausting just feeding him!

We make his bread in a breadmaker and it's really good. We also use Tinkyada pasta instead of normal spaghetti and there's brownies and such that are gf too. I hope you adjust soon. I have a feeling I really need to do this too.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 12-12-2007, 02:33 AM

In the earlier stages of gluten free I did eat cereal to satiate me- Barbara's Honey Rice Puffins and Organic Maple Buckwheat Flakes to be exact. But they both have too much sugar for me now. And yes, I get hungry. Not so much for the old style of eating though, just hungry. I've increased portions, added snacks, soy ice cream for dessert, and still losing weight. Maybe its just the EBF? If I do have a passing craving for something I used to eat, I focus on how badly it effects my little girl- and yes, I eat more potato chips now.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 12-12-2007, 03:01 AM

DH complains about this too, though I don't get it. The problem may lie in your transitioning from wheat recently. I have been gf for years and DH still eats wheat regularly but at home eats GF. He always says he is still hungry. I'd say once you've fully transitioned this will stop. Also, eat something high protien or high fiber....and possibly just eat more....as you work through this. Also, you should not be on a low fat diet and should try to get alot of good fats in like avocado and nuts.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:19 PM

I've been GF for almost 2 months now for my dd's allergies. I also had problems feeling satisfied for the first couple weeks, but like someone else said, it suddenly went away. I've also found myself eating more chips and stuff I wouldn't normally eat, but I'm also eating a LOT more veggies and that helps a ton. It is not uncommon for me to have a micro/baked potato with olive oil and veggies for a meal. It's a ton of carbs but since we are top-8 free and I'm vegetarian, it's hard for me to find a good quick protein. (I do eat beans for other meals).

We've been getting the Steamfresh frozen veggies for quick fixes for meals. It's really helped a lot because if I don't have to take the time to prepare it as a side, I'm more likely to eat it. I've also found several cereals that I love that help with the cravings--my favorites are the Envirokids as they stay crunchy. I second the PP's suggestion for the brown rice bread--I use it with sunflower seed butter & apple butter for a quick meal. And Tinkyada pasta--I eat that at least 5x a week. Yum!

As a sidenote--I've lost 10 lbs in the last 2.5 months as a result of this. :

User Tag List