Eliminated Milk-Are withdrawal symptoms normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-24-2007, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, I am on Day 2 of a dairy free world and boy its kinda hard. I meant to start Friday but he was really sick and wouldn't eat anything except you guessed it milk. I gave him a couple of days to get stronger and started yesterday...My question is it normal to have some type of withdrawal symptoms? He has been reallly tantrummy(sp) today with like 5-7 already(its only 1) He seems to be losing it quicker today than normal. Just wondering if this seemed normal and if so when should or may start to normalize itself? Also, if anyone who has ever dealt with this ever seen an increase in their child's appetite after losing the milk? He used to be such a great eater and has not eaten that well in so many months and I thought it could be because of the excessive milk consumption. Any help would be appreciated as my gut tells me I am doing what is right even though this will be a long process...

Have a great holiday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2007, 05:29 PM

I think its probably human nature to want what we can't have. And it's part of the theory behind food allergies that we want what is bad for us. Good luck mama! Have you found any dairy free substitutes for him?

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 12-26-2007, 02:00 PM

Have you tried some kind of a chewable calcium supplement, something similar to Tums? Is it possible that he has a lot of stomach acid and has become accustomed to using milk (calcium in milk) to keep it settled?
Old 12-26-2007, 05:20 PM

OOOh. Good one. What she said.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 12-27-2007, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Hello, thanks for all the replies. I didnt think about his stomache being unsettled but that is a great point. Should I give him a calcium supplement or a type of probiotic which is a something I am also hearing about. Are the two for completely seperate things?

He did eat a bit better today but had some MASSIVE temper tantrums and a bunch last night(woke up like 2-3 times and was going ballistic and having a tantrum when he woke). I have to admit that I was really bummed out last night as I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing with eliminating milk as he still continues to have such massive tantrums. The funny thing is for the most part he is an absolute joy to be around until he gets these jekyl and hyde personality changes. My husband is supporting my decision to try this so that helps but some people are trying to tell me that this is just regular temper tantrums even though I think they are pretty severe. Since I am also a teacher and with kids all day I have seen my share of tantrums::

Keep the advice coming. I really think he has been withdrawing the last couple of days and hope it does improve.

Stephanie
p.s. I am also giving him soy milk as he doesn't care for the rice..should I try to make him have the rice instead or can I stick with the soy???????????
Old 12-27-2007, 12:26 AM

Using probiotics is generally a good idea. Just be careful to get one thats dairy free while you're eliminating milk. The probiotics is to help get beneficial bacteria into the gut. Calcium supplements would be to replace the missing calcium caused by removing milk from the diet. They would also help reduce stomach acid levels, helpful if he's having reflux and has been self-medicating with the milk. Also of kids who have a milk intolerance are also sensitive to soy. This is your call. Hope this is just withdrawal and the tantrums quiet down. That's great you have your hubby's support. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2007, 01:07 AM

You know, whenever I've tried drinking soy milk I get gassy with an upset stomach. I think of it as liquid beans because of it's side effects on me.

You could try both the probiotics and a children's chewable calcium supplement. They'd both be good if used according to recommendations.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:13 AM

I've never had to give up milk but I did have to give up corn for my dd which is in everything like milk is. Honestly I felt TERRIBLE for about 1.5 weeks. I had headaches, was irritable, felt very sluggish, etc. I think it was withdrawal symptoms and if I'd been a little kid you better bet I would have been throwing a fit or two! Actually I was grouchy and cranky enough that I think I did throw at least one fit and I'm 27 yrs old lol.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought usually the withdrawal was more of just a craving. If you hadn't been giving him soy before, and now he's getting a lot of soy, through the soy milk, I'd say it's possible that it's a reaction to the soy. Try keeping him off the dairy and give him rice milk instead, and see if it helps. The correlation between milk and soy protein intolerance is pretty high. I give my son one of the Children's Pepto (bubble gum flavor) every day as a calcium supplement (doctor recommended). It soothes his stomach too.
Kathy

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 12-27-2007, 01:41 PM

I'm going to check out the children's Pepto today. So far I've been breaking Tums in half or thirds for my kids as needed (not as a daily supplement.) I've guessed at that dosage. I'd rather have something that gives dosage recommendations for kids.

User Tag List