gluten or barley intolerance? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2008, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is intolerant to wheat. After she reacted to wheat I eliminated gluten entirely because it was just as easy to do that as to eliminate wheat. I didn't feel any different after eliminating gluten, although I'd been mostly off it for several months already because I'd been doing a low-carb candida diet (with occasional cheating) for a while. (I was entirely off gluten for 2.5 months at one point during that time and didn't feel any different).

I've eaten wheat (white flour products) a few times in the year that we've been off gluten, without any apparent reaction. I've also eaten things made with barley flour a few times. I've eaten Newman's wheat and dairy free "oreos" three times and have had an upset stomach afterwards every time. I attributed it to eating the whole bag in one sitting : but after having a similar reaction after eating some cornbread made with barley flour, I think I'm reacting to the barley flour and not the "oreos" themselves. I think DD also reacts to barley although I'm not entirely sure.

I guess I'm wondering what the chances are that we're intolerant to barley as opposed to gluten. I would think that DD would be more likely to be gluten intolerant if she reacts to both wheat and barley, but it doesn't appear that I react to wheat, unless I'm just not having an obvious reaction because I'm eating white flour products as opposed to whole wheat ones (I'm assuming the barley flour is probably whole grain, but who knows). Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2008, 09:01 PM

Only that Newman O's are evil at our house...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 01-10-2008, 09:27 PM

Anything is possible. My corn allergic dd was sensitive to barley malt and barley malt extract and then, I found out that barley malt is often contaminated with corn. Barley flour is a common ingredient in white (wheat) flours, though, and she hasn't reacted to it, so I'm guessing that her reaction to the barley malt/extract is truly because of the corn and not the barley at all. So, I'm sure that was absolutely no help to you, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case (Isn't this allergy journey so much fun)
Old 01-11-2008, 01:51 AM

Barley is high in tannins, which is not the case with wheat. That could be the difference, although chocolate is also high in tannins.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

User Tag List