Digestive enzymes & breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-15-2008, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am taking digestive enzymes as a first step in trying to heal my gut. I'm breastfeeding a 5 month old right now. I'm wondering if its possible for theh enzymes to go through the gut & affect the baby?

I ask because I just started taking a protease enzyme two days ago and the past two night DS has been terribly restless. Last night I couldn't put him down on his stomach without distress.

Other than the enzymes I'm already on a pretty strict elimination diet so I can't imagine what else could be bothering him.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#2 of 6 Old 01-15-2008, 02:16 PM

Hi Chlobo,

I haven't had a problem with digestive enzymes and breastfeeding. In fact, the Weston A Price Foundation recommends giving babies probiotics, which I do for my baby, and have ever since he was 3 months old. I would buy a probiotic that is gentle enough for babies and take that one for yourself just to be sure. The one I give our baby is pretty complex, though, and has pretty much the same strength as the adult probiotic that I was taking.

The directions on ours even states that a nursing mamma can rub a bit of powder in the area that the baby nurses so he can benefit directly.

So, I wouldn't think that is why he was upset. Could be teething? Or maybe trying to fight off a bug that's going around?

Good luck, I hope he's happier today.
#3 of 6 Old 01-15-2008, 05:51 PM

Take a look at www.enzymestuff.com IIRC, some enzymes can cause hyperactivity in some kids. I think the recommendation is to back off on the enzyme dose and gradually increase it over a couple of weeks.
#4 of 6 Old 01-15-2008, 07:52 PM

Hi Carren- I know this isn't concrete information... but in my past months of searching for answers to help Taslyn, I recall coming across something about protease in particular being difficult for a certain group of kids with a particular disorder. Sorry that's not more fleshed out for you, but maybe it will point you somewhere. OT: I was thinking about the inflamed allergy ring- I wonder if slippery elm internally might help calm it down?
Lisa

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#5 of 6 Old 01-15-2008, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the references. I forgot about die off. I'm hoping that's what it is. I didn't take any enzymes today. I'm hoping for a better night tonight & a better day tomorrow.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#6 of 6 Old 01-16-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansmama View Post
Hi Chlobo,

I haven't had a problem with digestive enzymes and breastfeeding. In fact, the Weston A Price Foundation recommends giving babies probiotics, which I do for my baby, and have ever since he was 3 months old. I would buy a probiotic that is gentle enough for babies and take that one for yourself just to be sure. The one I give our baby is pretty complex, though, and has pretty much the same strength as the adult probiotic that I was taking.

The directions on ours even states that a nursing mamma can rub a bit of powder in the area that the baby nurses so he can benefit directly.

So, I wouldn't think that is why he was upset. Could be teething? Or maybe trying to fight off a bug that's going around?
Good luck, I hope he's happier today.
Briansmama,
Digestive enzymes are different from probiotics.

Is your babe exclusively breasted? Many believe that you shouldn't give a EBF any strains beyond bifidobacterium. Some say just B. Infantis, others say B. Longum and B. Bifidus are acceptable. Other strains wouldn't normally be present in their guts until food is introduced.

WAPF aren't EBF advocates and kind of miss the mark in this area. They recommend solids far too early and advocate the usage or formula (albeit homemade)

Since probiotics in an isolated capsule form weren't around when WAP was doing his research these are new recommendations. I tend to take anything from them (though not WAP himself) with a grain of salt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page