Food challenge.....scared (UPDATE) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2008, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are 2 days away from our egg challenge, and I am SCARED AS HELL!!! I just hate the thought of my babe happily playing before our meal and puking her guts out after........we've been putting the food challenge off for quite some time now, so we need to get to it, as we've got several other foods we need to get through as well, and the elimination diet is starting to get a bit boring for us all.......we can only eat so many bean dishes, kwim??

I don't really have any questions, just looking for some sympathy I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will be happy to give you some sympathy. The gastroenterologist told me to keep dd off everything for 6 months to give her a chance to heal and that was last April so technically I was supposed to start challenging her in October... and here it is January. The few times she's snuck food, she's been up all night screaming and breaking out in rashes, so I'm convinced that she hasn't outgrown anything and I'm giving her more time. Either that or I'm just chicken.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 01-24-2008, 08:14 PM

It's easy to be scared when the chance is there for your child to be so miserable. Plenty of sympathy here for you, as I have been there. (Still am, really, just between challenges.) You only have to give enough of something to get the reaction, so it isn't necessary to give a lot. Less compound means less time before puking has effectively eliminated, right?

I ended up in the hospital with my son when he vomited violently until he got a "Mallory- Weiss tear" in his esophagus once, so I don't think food challenges are easy, and have been postponing egg myself ever since (Appprox. 6 mos.) I think that particular occurrence was caused by tahini (sesame seed butter).

I am cheering for you...(and your child).

Momma to one small person I call Smoodgie :joy.gif
Old 01-26-2008, 01:33 AM

If you're uncomfortable at the idea, why not postpone the challenge? Do you have some reason that you need to do it now?

I have two daughters with a slew of food allergies. I just look at it as years before they're going to outgrow anything. I'm still nursing dd2, she's months away from her third birthday and hasn't outgrown anything. Her reactions to a few things that I've eaten have lessened, but she's still very unhappy and gets a rash when she has the foods through my milk. I can't even imagine how unhappy she'd be if she ate the foods directly.

Just figured I'd offer another perspective since you seem uncomfortable with the challenge.

homeschooling mamma to dd1 7/01 , dd2 5/05, and '00, '04, '07, 6/09, 12/09
Old 01-27-2008, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Turns out, we'll be waiting several more months now before we can do any of our challenges we needed to do. We finally decided we were going to challenge either egg or soy this morning, but that we were going to wait until DD had eaten breakfast and had some time to play before we challenged. So, we got up and made oatmeal for breakfast. I make oatmeal a lot, sometimes I sweeten it with brown sugar, and some times I sweeten it with agave. Well, I'd noticed DD's face getting red and blotchy after eating oatmeal sometimes, and I started to notice that it was the times that we'd used agave, so I was assuming she had a sensitivity to that. Long story short, and absent-mindedly put a small squirt of agave in the oatmeal, immediately after eating it DDs face broke out bright red, and a few moments later, she's screaming hysterically similar to when she's had other allergens. I gave her a dose of antihistamine, and within minutes she was completely back to herself.

So, inadvertently, on challenge day we discovered (or atleast verified) a new allergy, and will have to hold off our other challenges in order to allow her some time to heal...........I feel like it's never ending with this one and she's only 18 mo old.

Cuckoo Mama - to answer your question, the reason we need to do the challenges is because these aren't verified allergies. She tested negative on the skin test for soy, egg, and chocolate. However, she's had what appeared to be reactions to all three. Now our allergist wants us to challenge those 3 again before proceeding with bloodwork. And, as it takes quite some time to do 3 separate challenges, I need to get along with it so we can proceed with the next step.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't you hate it when that happens? Dd will be 3 in March and we've been doing this since she was 1 (she had been drinking a ton and not sleeping since we started solids, but I didn't make the connection until the doctor said maybe she was lactose intolerant - turns out she was multiple food intolerant). She also tested negative on all skin prick tests. I'm a chicken too. I seem to take more foods away from her than give her back. I'm with you in that boat, mama! At some point, I just pray it will get better. I'm figuring she may not grow out of all of them, but some of them would be nice!
Kathy

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 01-27-2008, 11:39 AM

I know that I'm on a slightly different path, but I'm going to throw it out there because I firmly believe in mamma's instinct.

Is there some reason to verify the allergy/sensitivity through testing? I haven't tested dd2 and joked along with both our ped and naturopath that it really wouldn't matter what a test said because I can see through her reaction that she's allergic. Even if a test came out negative, I still wouldn't feed her what I can see to be her allergans. I also am resigned to the idea of waiting years for the girls to outgrow anything.

Not knowing your little one's history I have no idea if I'm completely off the right path here. In our case, I could see as infants that they were allergic to things through my milk. DD2 is still nursing and I can still fiddle with allergans there - although I only tried dairy now at almost 3 - still through breastmilk and still allergic.

I just feel badly about all the poking and prodding and you had mentioned that you were reluctant. For our family, waiting until the testing is less intrusive is best for our family. As I mentioned, I couldn't imagine after my experience with dd1 that our allergies would be outgrown in months.

I was just trying to support your mamma instinct at not wanting to do the test and asking if you, not the allergist, really thought it was necessary.
I'm trying to tread lightly and not offend anyone.

homeschooling mamma to dd1 7/01 , dd2 5/05, and '00, '04, '07, 6/09, 12/09
Old 01-27-2008, 11:48 AM

My sister (with a new babe and breastfeeding which is why her slight intolerances are more serious, they can lead to allergies in the babe) can't eat chicken egg whites, but can eat the yolks. And she can eat whole duck eggs, since the proteins or something are different.

If you have a duck egg supplier around you, you might give those a try when you decide to introduce eggs.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuckooMamma View Post
I know that I'm on a slightly different path, but I'm going to throw it out there because I firmly believe in mamma's instinct.

Is there some reason to verify the allergy/sensitivity through testing? I haven't tested dd2 and joked along with both our ped and naturopath that it really wouldn't matter what a test said because I can see through her reaction that she's allergic. Even if a test came out negative, I still wouldn't feed her what I can see to be her allergans. I also am resigned to the idea of waiting years for the girls to outgrow anything.

Not knowing your little one's history I have no idea if I'm completely off the right path here. In our case, I could see as infants that they were allergic to things through my milk. DD2 is still nursing and I can still fiddle with allergans there - although I only tried dairy now at almost 3 - still through breastmilk and still allergic.

I just feel badly about all the poking and prodding and you had mentioned that you were reluctant. For our family, waiting until the testing is less intrusive is best for our family. As I mentioned, I couldn't imagine after my experience with dd1 that our allergies would be outgrown in months.

I was just trying to support your mamma instinct at not wanting to do the test and asking if you, not the allergist, really thought it was necessary.
I'm trying to tread lightly and not offend anyone.

Cuckoo - you haven't offended me in the slightest. We are all entitled to our opions, and in the end will all do what's best for us and our families.

For me, I prefer to know definatively if she is allergic or not. I don't like going to restaurants and stressing over what she can/can't eat. I don't like the fact that no matter where we go I have to carry around an arsenal of food because there's very little she can eat that hasn't been made by or closely monitored by me. I don't like the limited diet we are on at home (I refuse to fix separate meals for my entire family, so because of her allergies and potential allergies we are on a very limited diet at the moment). We are vegetarian, and with a possible egg and soy allergy, and a known dairy intolerance, a lot of our sources of protein are eliminated. DD1 is sick to death of beans and high protein grains, and quite honestly, I'm getting sick of it too. Because of the negative skin tests our allergist won't proceed with the blood work until there has been another food challenge for each food (because when the possible reactions happened we weren't on an elimination so there was the potential for the reactions to be from any number of things.

It seems with her allergies that they have all be sudden onset later in life. I nursed her for 12 months and never had to eliminate anything from my diet. When she started solids she was able to eat all of her allergens with no problems for almost a year. All of this has suddenly happened in the last 6 months.

I don't necessarily prefer the poking and prodding either, but I feel it's necessary in order to have a diagnosis. We aren't doing the food challenges to see if she's outgrown anything....I don't believe that would be possible in just a few months, and we are not challenging the foods we know she's allergic to, only the one's that have thus far been inconclusive.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:15 PM

One thing to consider is that allergy tests by allergists are notoriously inaccurate/inconclusive in children younger than 4. Even our allergist who ordered testing for us said that observations trump results every time. If your child reacts, he/she is allergic and you need to avoid that food. FWIW, the skin test identified 2 of my dd's allergens, but a whole blood panel identified nothigng (it didn't even back up the 2 allergens we found with the skin test). The only thing that worked was a meticulous food journal. My dd has around 12 allergens, and she developed at least 1 new one over the past year.

These are just my experiences/thoughts, but regarding challenges, we are not challenging any of her serious allergens until dd is 4. I don't want to take the chance of resensitizing her every time we try one out. Our ped allergist agrees with this stance and prefers to challenge the child for the first time in his office between age 4 and 5.

Also, are you working on gut-healing between challenges (probiotics, enzymes, glutamine, etc.)? We've been able to reintroduce some fruits after a while and I believe it's because our dd's gut was somewhat healed.

User Tag List