8 month old with red circles under eyes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-31-2008, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what could this possible stem from? I was thinking yogurt I have been giving him. He is getting over a ear infection could this show signs around his eyes.

If anyone else has experienced this please let me know.
#2 of 7 Old 02-01-2008, 11:26 AM

Usually dark circles under the eyes means allergy. Keep a food diary. The milk in the yogurt is a likely candidate, but so are any of the top 8 allergens. Ear infectins are also a sign of food allergy/intolerance. Did both the eyes and the ear infection show up after the introduction of the yogurt?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 7 Old 07-25-2008, 03:26 AM

Usually feeding yogurt is unworthy to a baby. If it is advised by a doctor then it would be more adept. This might be the cause for infection.
---------------------
Bert

Wide Circles
#4 of 7 Old 07-25-2008, 03:42 AM

I was always under the impression to not start feeding yogurt until age 1, and to stick with mostly fruit and vegi puree as well as some cereals for introducing food until the child is 1.

If you think it is the yogurt I would stop feeding it to him. Is the only new food he has gotten in week or so yogurt? It's possible that you might have to eliminate all of the foods you introduced recently until he gets older.

After you eliminate the foods, if the red circles are still there I'd mention it at a well child check (or sooner if more symptoms develop or the redness gets worse).
#5 of 7 Old 07-25-2008, 12:15 PM

The mainstream advice is that yogurt is supposed to be "okay" at 9 mths, with other dairy after 1 year. I personally would wait much longer than that. Most commercial yogurt contains all kinds of questionable ingredients like modified food starch and high fructose corn syrup. Your dc could be reacting to any or all of those ingredients. I would eliminate it and reintroduce after a year old 9or longer).
#6 of 7 Old 07-25-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
The mainstream advice is that yogurt is supposed to be "okay" at 9 mths, with other dairy after 1 year. I personally would wait much longer than that. Most commercial yogurt contains all kinds of questionable ingredients like modified food starch and high fructose corn syrup. Your dc could be reacting to any or all of those ingredients. I would eliminate it and reintroduce after a year old 9or longer).
i def agree. red circles are a classic allergy sign...
#7 of 7 Old 07-25-2008, 06:21 PM

hmmm... now I wonder if I just made up a 1 year rule for yogurt in my head???

I like stonyfield's "yo baby" yogurt for kids under 3. No scary additives like yoplait or dannon. When you reintroduce you might want to try their yogurt.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page