Birthday cake recipe needed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2008, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is turning one soon! Because of my daughters allergies (soy and peanut, avoiding tree nuts and seafood) ds is still mostly allergen free. We did recently introduce wheat adn it's gone very well, but oats lead to blood in his stool.

Anyways, does anyone have a cake recipe that is egg, dairy and soy free?

Mama of three.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 10:35 PM

I just adapted this recipe for my son's birthday. The original recipe is Chocolate Buttermilk Cake from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook. I've adapted it to be gluten-, soy- and dairy-free (it already was egg free). I only made it as cupcakes, but it was awesome!

1 2/3 cups flour (I used Bette Hagman's 4 flour bean mix to make it gluten-free)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk (I used 1 Tblsp. vinegar + hemp milk to make 1 cup)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (used 1/4 c. canola oil & 1/4 c. applesauce)
2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and lightly flour two 8-inch round cake pans or one 9 x 13-inch pan. Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Add the sour milk, vegetable oil (and applesauce), and vanilla, beating until smooth. Spread in the pans or pan and bake, about 20-25 minutes for the small pans, 35-45 minutes for the large one, (23 minutes for cupcakes). Test to see if a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a rack.

Raechel, mom to 3 boys (J-14, K-11, & T-8), car seat tech/instructor, gluten-, dairy-, and soy-free cook, chicken-raising, wannabe gardener living on 5 acres.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Where can I find hemp milk? Also, is it just white vinegar?

Mama of three.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:59 AM

We use a mix from Cherrybrook Farms that I found at Jewel (grocery store) I haven't tried the yellow cake but the Chocolate mix is awesome. I made cupcakes with it and they turned out more like chocolate/chocolate chip muffins. What I didn't know that one box only makes one layer (although it fills a 9x12 pan just fine) or 12 cupcakes.

It is peanut, dairy, egg and nut free.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
Old 02-12-2008, 04:03 AM

I can only buy hemp milk at our natural food co-op. I'm sure any milk alternative would work just fine, though.
I usually use just white vinegar, but I've also used cider vinegar or lemon juice. They all work just fine, depending on what you have on hand.

Raechel, mom to 3 boys (J-14, K-11, & T-8), car seat tech/instructor, gluten-, dairy-, and soy-free cook, chicken-raising, wannabe gardener living on 5 acres.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have several choices on my blog (in my sig.) -- chocolate cake, vanilla cake.... hardly any of my recipes have milk, egg, or soy in them because of my kids' intolerances. The chocolate cake is really easy, and no weird ingredients. A lot of people (without allergies) ask me for the recipe. The vanilla cake is a little bland, but I'm thinking of turning it into a spice cake for dd's birthday. Oh, there's a good carrot cake recipe on there too (for a little nutrition). But if they can do chocolate, that one is the best (my two can't do chocolate anymore and I miss that cake!).
Kathy

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 02-12-2008, 07:04 PM

Wacky cake has no dairy or eggs in it, and is so easy to make that it's a great recipe for kids to "help" with. Just google the name and you'll get a bunch of hits.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You can probably substitute water, juice or coffee for the milk in that recipe- chocolate cakes are pretty forgiving with milk substitutes, vs vanilla/yellow cakes where the milk taste isn't covered up as much.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 02-16-2008, 02:17 AM

I vote with PP for chocolate wacky cake. Having made six others from scratch (all unsatisfying) trying to find one for my ds's birthday, a friend turned me on to this. The trick is the vinegar...it allows the cake to rise without eggs. It was really moist and yummy, and no one knew it was "special" by the texture or taste.

Momma to one small person I call Smoodgie :joy.gif
Old 02-17-2008, 03:24 AM

wacky cake

* 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
* 1 cup sugar
* 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 teaspoon vinegar
* 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 cup cold water

PREPARATION:
In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and salt. Make three wells in the flour mixture. In one put vanilla; in another the vinegar, and in the third the oil. Pour the cold water over the mixture and stir until moistened.
Pour into 8 x 8-inch pan. Bake at 350°F. oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it springs back when touched lightly.

Or you can use what ever cake recipe you want that has eggs in it and then substitute egg replacer that you buy. I got mine at the health food store.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 02-17-2008, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

I've decided to make the vanilla cake from Kathy's recipe box. I don't mind bland since he's only 1. Everyone else will have a generous amount of frosting on top of theirs anyway. I decided I didn't want chocolate after thinking about it.

Thanks all for your help! My dd is allergic to peanuts and soy so that's my area. Milk and egg free are totally new to me! I can't wait til he gets his testing in April so I can give him those (he'll probably get cheese sometime in March.)

Mama of three.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Kathy! The Vanilla Cake was yummy (not to bland, but man is it sweet!) Simon loved his birthday cake!

Mama of three.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:10 PM

My DS is a Simon too, and he loves that cake as well. He even likes the cakes that I make that are flops!! As evidenced in the last week, when I've attempted to make 3 different recipes for wheat-free, egg-free, dairy-free, corn-free, cocoa-free, etc.-free cakes. My highly intolerant DD's birthday is in a couple weeks and I have yet to find a cake I can make for her! I'm glad you found one you could use.
Kathy

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 02-28-2008, 03:00 PM

I just got on here looking for Kathy's vanilla cake recipe. I SO don't feel like making a cake right now but its dd's birthday. I was thinking of using oat flour. Is that odd?
Old 02-28-2008, 09:55 PM

Is what odd - that you want to use oat flour? or that you don't feel like baking a cake? I can't use oat flour as two celiac kids are coming to DD's bday party, so I've been trying to use every other flour under the sun. So far, three failures. So I decided to take a break and make egg-free, milk-free, butter-free popovers. Three more failures. I'm battin' 1000 these days. I've tried combinations of sorghum, buckwheat, white rice, brown rice, and tapioca. No luck. Let me know how the oat flour works out!
Kathy

Old 02-28-2008, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

That makes my brain hurt Kathy.

Mama of three.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Is what odd - that you want to use oat flour? or that you don't feel like baking a cake? I can't use oat flour as two celiac kids are coming to DD's bday party, so I've been trying to use every other flour under the sun. So far, three failures. So I decided to take a break and make egg-free, milk-free, butter-free popovers. Three more failures. I'm battin' 1000 these days. I've tried combinations of sorghum, buckwheat, white rice, brown rice, and tapioca. No luck. Let me know how the oat flour works out!
Kathy
Well I meant odd about the oat flour but I guess we go with whatever will work right? I think it came out ok, slightly oatmealish in flavor, like one might expect from oat flour , but she's never had anything to compare it to. The texture was pretty good. She was actually thrilled that she had her her own miniature cake to have her way with. She had a blast. Anyway I hope gluten doesn't bother her. I didn't know that was in oats. She is only slightly reactive to wheat. What a sharp learning curve this all is! :
Old 02-29-2008, 10:19 AM

It's a divided camp on oats. Some say that all the oat is contaminated with gluten because of where it's grown in proximity to wheat fields. They've now come out with certified gluten free oats. However, my friend with two boys with celiac, said that she was told no oats the first year after diagnosis, gluten-free or not. That the proteins are too similar in the grains, and that alot of celiacs cannot tolerate oats anyway. So who knows.
K

Old 02-29-2008, 01:53 PM

Kathy I'm going to pm you with an unrelated question
Old 03-09-2008, 11:05 AM

Thank you so much for posting this thread. Right now, my youngest is soy, egg, and dairy allergic and I am avoiding gluten because I think it is making me sick. So, these choices are great. (I am just not going to eat it because I don't have it in me right now to make a gluten-free and dairy, egg, and soy-free cake!) I think we're going to go for wacky cake because then my kids can help.

User Tag List