Need advice: 8 month old - cold/allergies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-04-2003, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, about 3 weeks ago, Kenny had what seemed to be a very bad cold. There was a fever of 104 (under the arm) and dark green, continuously flowing mucus. *lovely, right?* Puffy eyes, crying, lethargic, coughing, could not sleep b/c of the drainage into the back of the throat, sore throat (would cry when coughing). Nursed non-stop.

Seemed to get over the 'gunk' of it within 3 or 4 days, but a cough has lingered, coupled with a runny nose and drainage that I can't suck out his nose (which I'm assuming is running down his throat b/c of the liquid - sometimes gagging - cough). This has been going on for a week. I haven't slept more than 3 hours a night in a week. Kenny tries to sleep - welcomes the sleep - but wakes up to his incessant coughing. The coughing doesn't sound like whooping or any such thing - just like a drainage cough. Finally, around 4:00 am his body seems to always give him a break and he'll sleep a solid 4 hours with hardly any coughing.

The mold count is high right now in GA, but would this be allergies? Is this a lingering cold? It doesn't just occur at night - he coughs off and on all day. It doesn't seem to be 'triggered' by anything. It doesn't want to go away.

I don't want to take him into the Family Practice at our Military Installation Hospital here, because they'll just prescribe antibiotics and tell us to come back in a few days. Plus, they jump all over me that he hasn't had any vacc.s and that we don't come in every two months for them to check his weight, height, breath (j/k).

So, any ideas.
Do colds linger this long?
What can I do?

Last night we did a warm bath with eucalyptus E.O.s and that seemed to loosen up some of the gunk and he stopped coughing - though his and my eyes were watering (maybe a bit too much eucalyptus). However, right out of the bath coughing came full force again. It sounds like it hurts - it has to hurt after a while! How long can a kid cough without doing some internal damage?

I'm leery of vaporizers if it is a mold/allergy issue.

Just out of ideas - other than sleeping in a rocking chair all night. Last night he did 1 hour in one of those infant chairs that you can secure them into (not a car seat, but one that is sort of fabric -backed and 'cups' them). He likes to sleep on his belly, so this was short-lived, but it did keep him 'up' body-wise, so the drainage wasn't so bad.
#2 of 9 Old 09-05-2003, 11:04 AM

I am dealing with a cold with my 5 month old, it's awful to have our babys sick isn't it? I do think that your baby probably has a lingering cough due to the cold. I think you should read the information about colds, on Dr. Sears website,
heres a link, he discribes a colds course almost exactly as you have discribed your DS's symptoms. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081000.asp

My DS and I are also suffering from lack of sleep due to his and my cold...we caught it from the same sweet little girl. I let him sleep in his swing early this morning and he slept 3 hours. (I slept a few mins on and off too, but I also took that time to find the information I linked you above.)
Well, I hope you and your DS get some sleep and some relief soon.
#3 of 9 Old 09-05-2003, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Kathryn,

That is EXACTLY what I did last night. I had let the batteries run down on Kenny's swing, because he normally is too active to be willing to spend ANY amount of time just a-swingin' , but yesterday when running errands I walked by an end cap and saw batteries and it clicked! So, last night we put him in his swing after he woke up the first time and he slept for TWO STRAIGHT HOURS. I really feel if he could sleep better, he could 'heal' better, y'know?

We haven't been supressing the cough until it just seems to exhaust him and then we have given him a touch of Tylenol Cold/Cough. I hate giving it to him b/c I realize he'll only start coughing again once it wears off, but it seems to take off enough of the 'edge' to allow him a bit of rest. We've given it to him now 3x in about 2 1/2 weeks. Surprisingly, he hates the taste of it. I've seen babies gobble meds up in our church nursery ("Oh, he's crying - give him Mylicon by the bucket loads.") Okay, getting sarcastic.

Thanks for posting a link to Dr. Sears. I haven't perused his site for answers on this. I did get the time last night to look through our Prescriptions for Nutritional Healing though and felt a bit relieved that it just could be a lingering cold. Enough to keep me from making an appt. at the doc's office anyway.

Blessings!
#4 of 9 Old 09-05-2003, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
1) How old is Kenny - 8 months? - 9 months?
He turned 8 months the 21st of August
Quote:
2) when he swallows, does he sort of life his head, as if to make more room for the swallow? Almost as if there is "something" there?
I haven't noticed this, but I haven't been watching for it either, so I WILL watch for it the rest of today/tonight and get back to you.
Quote:
3) What is his previous health history?
12.21.02 d.o.b.
No immunizations.
First Born: The day he was born he was gagging . . . they kept telling me it was because they don't 'suction out' babies anymore, but he would scare the crap out of me with this gagging/coughing. The nurses didn't know why he was coughing so much and I thought something was wrong, but would not let them take him for 'observation' in the nursery b/c I felt that they would leave him alone as they did the other babies when I took him in for his 'physical' after he was born.

At 3 months - Kenny picked up a terrible 'cold' much like this, that would not go away and there was the same 'junky' type cough and drainage (very green). I was concerned about infection and took him in. I was told that I had let it go 'too far' and that he had an ear infection that was probably due to sinusitis and sent home with antibiotics (which we flushed). I told them I did not want the antibiotics and was made to sign a 'release' saying that they had ordered antibiotics and that I understood it whether I gave them or not. : At that time I inquired here - you may remember responding to that. He took about 4 weeks to fully get through that episode.

At 6 months - A shorter, but pretty 'similar' episode.

Now at 8 months - we have been dealing with this now for almost 2 1/2 or 3 weeks from beginning to present. Starts much like everything else . . . runny nose, turns green, coughing, spitting up mucus, but usually only a day of fever (which is what befuddles me). He's in a good mood - he just can't sleep b/c when he lays down he has this drainage problem. Same as the other times. He grabs at his ears, but no more than usual. He hasn't changed his eating - except he nurses whenever he wakes in the night, so he is nursing more than normal since he's up all night.

Edited to say: He has not been sick at all otherwise and is quite the beefmeister (healthy) at 23 lbs. - mostly bf'ing, but started solids at about 6 or 6 1/2 months.
#5 of 9 Old 09-05-2003, 07:23 PM

-
#6 of 9 Old 09-05-2003, 09:30 PM

Heather,

This sounds a lot like my son Reilly's experience.

He'd get these colds he couldn't shake, but was healthy otherwise. We took him (and me) off dairy and got rid of our dog (who was a copious shedder--my sister happily took the dog, which was best for everyone and the dog!) on the advice of the pediatrician. I give him EFA oil and probiotics every day (at first to clear up side effects from the antibiotics, now for general health and reducing inflammation). Did all this at 8 months and in the past nine months he's had one slight cold--lasted 10-12 days, very light, no ear infection, nothing else.

Good luck!

Mel
#7 of 9 Old 09-06-2003, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

:: Hilary - Okay, Jeff and I have 'actively' watched Kenny all night - through his intense coughing/gagging episodes and there isn't any need, it seems to extend the neck to swallow. In fact, rather the opposite.

:: gurumama - We do have a dog and I notice that he coughs more if he's been in one of two places:

1.) Sleeping in his bedroom. However, I have very frequently run humidifiers in that room, because before HE was in there my Meredith was in there and she often dealt with 'like 'symptoms. I'm wondering if there is a mold build-up in there somewhere now. It can often smell musty.

2.) Crawling around the house. We have a dog - and I have wondered if Kenny is allergic to Jack. hmmmmmm . . tonight we went over to a friend's home that has a dog and Kenny had the worst coughing fits after having been on the floor and crawling around.

:: Amnesiac - I have tried to suction out his nose, but get very little compared to what I can hear . . . it is like it is too far back to get out. So, I may try to get some of that saline to help work it out. I was under the impression that the saline dried it out, but does it just shrink the membranes so it can pass?? I'm not certain about that. We are trying to stay away from over the counter decongestants, but definitely want to go the route of immune support as this seems to be re-occurring.
#8 of 9 Old 09-06-2003, 10:54 AM

Heather, DD has had a runny/stuffed nose w/ a cough for awhile too. On and off since birth, but only "troublesome" two times. The suction thing does NOT work for us either- i usually try to suck it out if i can. I put BM up her nose throughout the day also. That has helped to keep the flow going, and keep things moist also. Her snot is mostly back where I can't get to, however- i can hear it, but can't get to it. It's like if she could just snort, she could clear it up herself.
I think she has a mold alergy, so will have to look into this. I do not want to go the traditional western medicene way w/ dealing with allergies, so i have some reading ahead of me i guess.
I have eliminated all dairy from my diet, and i think that helps.
We also use eucalyptus- in the bathroom, and in the room. I put some on a wash cloth and put it infront of a fan, and that gets the fumes out into the air.
Hope Kenny is sleeping better....
#9 of 9 Old 09-07-2003, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Began eliminating dairy today - oh, but I love my yogurt with Flaxseed in the morning.

I have noticed a bit less mucus in Kenny . . . could it take effect that fast?

But get this - oblivious I am (seeing as how I have not dealt with allergies in my life). I'm paying attention to EVERYTHING now for Kenny. There is MOLD EVERYWHERE in GA right now. We had a remarkable amount of rain this summer and of course, the humidity. We have mushrooms growing beneath the monkey grass. The sidewalks and back patio are green from mold, the trees have mold on the side, the mold count (on the news) is high. So, I'm leaning toward that.

However, we did call up a friend who is going to help us experiment with whether Kenny has allergies to our Jack. We'll have the carpets done as soon as we remove Jack for two weeks and just 'see' how it goes from there.

Other than my current Vit C intake and vitamins, is there anything that I can intake that will encourage immune support for Kenny. He has started solids, and in lieu of our lacking in a good Farmer's Market, we have resorted to Gerber's new line of USDA Certified Organic Foods, but again . . . he nurses still a bit more than he eats. And we do not supplement with any dairy and rarely juice (though when he gets juice it is unsweetened and about 1/4 juice to 3/4 water). I want to say every other day or so when I forget to intake enough water myself and my milk depletes.

Which is another subject altogether - does milk production slow considerably as one gets close to the first year. I have been trying to pump to increase supply and it takes 3 settings to get 8 oz! I wonder how much HE gets!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page