Is eczema ever just eczema? On TED diet now - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-14-2008, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Started a TED on Sunday, although dd, age 5 months, had to have some of my frozen stash on Mon and Tues due tomy mom going in the hospital and I wasn't able to pump while I was at the hospital with my mom. So she didn't start until Wed. She has severe eczema, and shows no signs of improvement yet. I know food reactions can take up to 4 days, so she could still worsen through Saturday since on Tues she had pre-TED milk.

Will this work for sure? Have you or anyone you know done a TED for eczema and NOT found relief?

I'm eating only:

free range turkey
sweet potatoes/yams
zuchinni (yellow/green)
rice (white/brown - I don't even want to read that article - lalalalala)
pears
sunflower oil
sea salt
fish oil capsules

I hope this works.

Thanks,
Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-14-2008, 04:36 PM

My DS' (2yo) exzema is not caused by food. He is sensative to things touching his skin (like soaps, carpet cleaners, that kind of thing). So elimination diet wouldn't help us at all. (If you're wondering what we do for him, we got rid of all carpets, got leather furiture, and he takes Zyrtec.)

Single mom of 2 boys
#3 of 9 Old 03-14-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wugmama View Post
Started a TED on Sunday, although dd, age 5 months, had to have some of my frozen stash on Mon and Tues due tomy mom going in the hospital and I wasn't able to pump while I was at the hospital with my mom. So she didn't start until Wed. She has severe eczema, and shows no signs of improvement yet. I know food reactions can take up to 4 days, so she could still worsen through Saturday since on Tues she had pre-TED milk.

Will this work for sure? Have you or anyone you know done a TED for eczema and NOT found relief?

I'm eating only:

free range turkey
sweet potatoes/yams
zuchinni (yellow/green)
rice (white/brown - I don't even want to read that article - lalalalala)
pears
sunflower oil
sea salt
fish oil capsules

I hope this works.

Thanks,
Tracy
It isn't always food. However, you need to give a TED a couple of weeks of of strictly following it to see if it works. My dd reacts to sunflower oil, fwiw. She's allergic to sunflower and sesame, and they were among the last allergens we identified because I didn't know to suspect seeds. Canola and olive oil are less allergenic, fwiw.
#4 of 9 Old 03-14-2008, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

I thought that canola oil had corn oil in it, but I just looked and it doesn't. Maybe I could switch to that.

Also, one of the times my dd was muscle tested, olives were mentioned, although when the chiro wrote down the extensive list for me, olives wasn't on it, but now I am nervous about olive oil. She did say people don't usually react to olive oil.

That movie, "Boy in the bubble", is coming to mind.

BTW, I am VERY strict in following the diet.

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#5 of 9 Old 03-14-2008, 04:54 PM

No, canola doesn't come from corn (thank goodness!).
#6 of 9 Old 03-14-2008, 09:57 PM

When my son started getting eczema at around that age as well. We found out that he was allergic to milk and soy products. As soon as I stopped both of those, his eczema cleared up completely.
It can be so frustrating. We are having issues with it again. And he is 4 now.

Homeschooling Mom to 4 boys: Connor, Aiden, Keegan and Tarik
#7 of 9 Old 03-16-2008, 08:47 AM

Fish Oil capsules can have vit E derived from soybeans. Many tablets (i.e. supplemental vitamins, etc) can have corn products in them.

Sunflower oil can be problematic, especially if you're sensitive to sunflowers seeds.

That said, TED didn't work as a diagnostic tool for us, really. We only did the strict version for 10 days, but her eczema and sleep actually got worse, so we had to stop earlier than I would have liked. However, we'd been free of gluten, soy, diary, peanut, tree nut, corn, sesame, garlic and much more for many months, so 10 days should have revealed something.

After that we started doing a four-day rotation diet. The first four days were amazing. Eczema started to clear and we thought we were on to something. Who knows, though, right, because as we got through two more rotations, things went back to our rashy "normal". *sigh*

The one huge variable for us is sugar. I like to do feast/famine with it. Meaning, we'll go WEEKS without it and then suddenly I binge and go nuts and bake muffins (buckwheat cherry muffins - with enough sugar that they are glorified cupcakes, lol) five days in a row. We were starting to notice a sugar connection.

Thus, we are trying the Body Ecology Diet to see if getting a yeast overgrowth (fed by sugar!) under control will make a difference. We are on day 10 and it's amazing. Her sleep is suddenly fantastic. It's hard to tell what's going on with the eczema because as the yeast die off, it can actually make symptoms worse. We should start to see skin improvement within the next week or so, if this is working. Unfortunately for us, we reintroduced peas prematurely because we needed SOMETHING for DD1 to "snack" on easily. That was a mistake and both kiddos had quick and horrible reactions, so we're also waiting for that to clear to see if the BED is helping. (I think it is - the sleep alone is worth it).

See my other thread about BED & allergies for more info.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=859992

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#8 of 9 Old 03-18-2008, 08:35 AM

Menomena's story could have been ours. After avoiding the top 8 (and some more) for months, we finally did a TED and lasted about a week. It didn't help AT ALL and I was going crazy (especially because I was not eating well, not sleeping and dd was looking worse than ever. We also did a rotation diet, but that didn't help either. Then I just gave up and just cut out the allergies I was sure about (much more than the top 8). We have also seen a sugar connection. The biggest improvement actually happened right after I went sugar free. We will also do the Body Ecology diet, or a version of it, soon. I have been thinking that we should do something like it for about a year now. I wish we started earlier. I think if you are willing to try the TED, then you will be able to cope with something like the Body Ecology diet.

Who knows though, maybe the TED works for you.
#9 of 9 Old 03-18-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
No, canola doesn't come from corn (thank goodness!).
Many people on the Avoiding Corn forum have problems with canola oil. They think it has to do with corn in the chemicals used to process the oil.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page