anyone with babies on zyrtec? - Mothering Forums
Allergies > anyone with babies on zyrtec?
Joshuasmom16's Avatar Joshuasmom16 01:01 PM 03-19-2008
Just got back from the allergist for DS's severe eczema. The skin tests weren't totally conclusive (don't you hate that?!) but looks like he's allergic to eggs and maybe sensitive to dairy and peanuts. Looks like I will now be eliminating even more from my diet . MD also suggested zyrtec 2x per day and use of vanicream. Does anyone have experience using zyrtec for their babes? I'm worried about giving him more stuff in addition to all the creams, cortisone, etc. Also he was shocked that we only bathe him once a week and said to bathe every day!

Alyantavid's Avatar Alyantavid 01:04 PM 03-19-2008
If he's got ezcema, why bathe him every day?

My oldest was on Zyrtec for awhile. He only took it once a day though. It knocked him out almost immediately. I'd try the diet elimination first if it was me. That might clear his ezcema right up. I know taking out dairy worked wonders on my kids.
txtarheel's Avatar txtarheel 01:22 PM 03-19-2008
We gave DS a couple doses of Zyrtec once a day when he was around nine months. He turned into an absolute terror. Just google zyrtec, side effects, infants or pediatrics and do some reading before you give it.

Bathing will just make the eczema worse unless your washing off stuff you know he got into and is allergic to.

I agree with Alyantavid - try the elimination first. If it's caused by allergies/sensitivities that could well clear it up.
kjbrown92's Avatar kjbrown92 02:56 PM 03-19-2008
All 3 of my kids are on Zyrtec. The oldest is 10yo, the youngest just turned 3 (she's been on it for 6 months). It doesn't make any of them sleepy. Zyrtec is a 24 hour drug though, so I'm curious why they want you to do it twice a day.

I vote for elimination diet too. All three of mine are on it for environmental allergies (though the younger two have food intolerances as well - the Zyrtec doesn't do anything for the food intolerance reactions).

I also thought that with Eczema you were NOT supposed to bathe that often.

My DD only has eczema with corn, and she jumps in the bath or shower when anybody in the family turns it on, so as many as two or three times a day!! But as long as she doesn't have corn, her skin is fine.

Kathy
Joshuasmom16's Avatar Joshuasmom16 11:30 AM 03-20-2008
got the zyrtec yesterday but the label says only 1/2 teaspoon once a day for kids 2 years and up. My MD said to give 1/2 teaspoon twice a day and he's only 6 months! so, I think we will try it because I am desperate for sleep but I am still worried!
faithful2's Avatar faithful2 03:34 PM 03-30-2008
We had the same negative reaction with our dd. It stopped the constant nighttime coughing but it was not worth the side effects. She was extremely loud, hyper, sensitive, cranky and cried at the slightest thing. She also did not smile, play, or laugh the way she usually did. It took several days for her to return to normal. Zyrtec can cause major reactions in some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtarheel View Post
We gave DS a couple doses of Zyrtec once a day when he was around nine months. He turned into an absolute terror. Just google zyrtec, side effects, infants or pediatrics and do some reading before you give it.

Bathing will just make the eczema worse unless your washing off stuff you know he got into and is allergic to.

I agree with Alyantavid - try the elimination first. If it's caused by allergies/sensitivities that could well clear it up.

Up