**Cradle Cap Progression Pictures** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-22-2008, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here are my cute son's (see link in siggy, he's a doll) progression pictures. I started the elimination diet on the 17th. His head had been looking continuously worse as time went on, and the week prior it was just out of control. We had gotten it to the much better point by the 17th by rinsing with saline. But it still looked horrible. Now, it looks great!

March 17

March 18

March 21
#2 of 11 Old 03-22-2008, 12:13 AM

Rinsing with saline: I've never heard of this.
Does this go along with the water softener/ocean/dead sea salt alleviation of eczema?
Interestingly, I've noticed that my baby's tears heal his eczema a bit. It's actually pretty noticeable where the tear falls on his face through the eczema.
Congrats on your success.
I am unable to view the March 21 photo!
#3 of 11 Old 03-22-2008, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Fixed the March 21 photo.

My lactation consultant told me to do it to give his head a rest from the crazy things the dr. had me do.
#4 of 11 Old 03-22-2008, 12:27 AM

Like, Desonide? I've got that. :sigh:
I just bought some grapefruit seed extract, as that's supposed to help immensely. I'll have to try the saline...just the regular stuff you use for your eyes?
ETA: Great job on the elimination diet, BTW!
#5 of 11 Old 03-22-2008, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

The dr had me you selsun blue, he lost hair and it got worse. I tried breast milk on my own, which helped at first, then went bad again. They had me try tar shampoo, no change for the better or worse. Then excessive oil treatments, MUCH WORSE. This time last week he looked like a burn victim. When my dh got home from work he was shocked.

I make my own saline, as it is cheaper and easy. The only thing is that it is only good for 24 hours before it is suseptable to bacteria growth. I boil water, measure out 1 cup, add a pinch of baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. After letting it cool, I put in in a sealable containor. I dab it on about two to three times a day with a cotton ball. It really helps dry out some of the oozing nasty stuff. He got a little itchy during this process and ended up rubbing some of the fresh skin off on Wednesday night, so I have been having him wear a hat to sleep. That helps. Also, I apply 1% hydrocortisone as needed for itching.
#6 of 11 Old 03-22-2008, 02:55 AM

thats pretty intense..it does look like a burn wound. DD also had a horrid cradle cap.To this day she haS bald patches on her scalp as she lost her hair due to the cradle cap. She is 18 months old now and hair had grown to about 4 inches but very thin and sparse due to the balness.
I hope her head will cover up completely.
Congrats to u on the success and keep it up with the TED.

Pari, Student, Job Seeker and mom to K (2006) and A(2011)

#7 of 11 Old 03-22-2008, 03:54 AM

thats pretty intense..it does look like a burn wound. DD also had a horrid cradle cap.To this day she haS bald patches on her scalp as she lost her hair due to the cradle cap. She is 18 months old now and hair had grown to about 4 inches but very thin and sparse due to the balness.
I hope her head will cover up completely.
Congrats to u on the success and keep it up with the TED.

Pari, Student, Job Seeker and mom to K (2006) and A(2011)

#8 of 11 Old 03-22-2008, 03:58 AM

That is how dd's did she was a mess hers was eczema related and vax made it a thousand times worse.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#9 of 11 Old 03-22-2008, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So you're saying the saline helped somewhat, but the elimination diet is what cured it? It's amazing if it's only 4 days. Have you figured out the food trigger yet?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#10 of 11 Old 03-23-2008, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

I think it helped that we stopped putting junk on it. For 4 days we treated with just saline and there was some improvement. Then, I started the elimination diet and in 5 days, his scalp was almost completely clear, along with the eczema on his shoulders. So, I feel like the saline did help but that the elimination diet is what REALLY helped.

I dont know what the food trigger is, I have not started adding anything in yet, and I dont really know how to go about doing that either. I keep thinking dairy, but only because I realize I consume a lot of dairy as opposed to the other top allergens, but then at the same time I feel like it could be anything.
#11 of 11 Old 03-25-2008, 07:25 AM

Wow those pictures are incredible. So glad to see he looks so much better!

At my house gluten was responsible for cradle cap. My kids never had it that bad, but they had it well into toddlerhood, until I eliminated gluten.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page