Exclusively BF dd with food allergies - HELP!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 03-24-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone out there have experience with food allergies in children WHILE they are exclusively breastfed??

My dd started showing symptoms around 2 months (around the time of her first and only set of vaccines- but that is a different discussion that I will post separately), but I didn't have a clue (never heard of food allergies in babies before!) so didn't put the pieces together until she was close to 4 months. By that time, her symptoms were pretty bad- each time she reacted to a food I ate, they got progressively worse. We asked the pediatrician, he didn't seem to have a clue. He said he didn't think it would be allergies, but he would send us to an allergist if we wanted. We said ok- and the allergist was even less help. She had no interest in hearing about my food diaries or elimination diet (I had seen a nutritionist in the mean time in order to keep myself healthy while limiting foods in my diet), just wanted to do tests. First wanted to do skin testing, I said no because from what I've learned it's not only inaccurate in babies, it's also unsafe for babies this young. We agreed to a blood test (have since learned they aren't accurate either for this young), and it came back negative to everything except peanuts. The allergist said she's allergic to nothing else and that I shouldn't elimninate anything from my diet except nuts. HA! We absolutely know that's not true because I have been keeping a detailed food diary for months and have tracked all her symptoms. Her symptoms are now (just this week) really cleariing up except the poo is still off and now showing a slight hint of blood in the mucous. We took her in to the ped again and had a stool culture sent to the lab... waiting to hear back about that.

BTW, the foods that we're pretty sure she's allergic to: milk, soy, eggs, tree nuts, and we're still on the fence about fish (she reacted when I started taking fish oil caps, but didn't react when I ate fish). And her symptoms have included: eczema (including some pretty bad cradle cap), gassiness, horrible green, smelly, foamy, mucousy poos, raw spot right around the rectum, trouble sleeping (went from sleeping through the night to up every 45 min.), and general crankiness. She is an abslutely different baby (happy, interactive, sleeps good) when she's not seemingly reacting to foods.

Anyway, we are totally at a loss for where to go from here. I'm still on the elimination diet, just starting the challenge phase. I can't afford to continue seeing the nutritionist because it's not covered by insurance. I'm really just looking for resources- online, books, etc. that deal with the food allergies in BF babies. Everything I can find relates to infants that have been started on solids.

Oh also- she's really started asking for foods the last couple weeks, and I'm told that I should wait to start her on solids. I definitely want to wait until I'm done with my own challenge phase of the elimination diet so that it doesn't get too confusing- but after that, what do I do?!? Deny her food even though she is obviously ready, or give her food and risk possible sensitization??

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#2 of 33 Old 03-24-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Does anyone out there have experience with food allergies in children WHILE they are exclusively breastfed??

A LOT of us do. Sorry you are, too

My dd started showing symptoms around 2 months (around the time of her first and only set of vaccines- but that is a different discussion that I will post separately), but I didn't have a clue (never heard of food allergies in babies before!) so didn't put the pieces together until she was close to 4 months. By that time, her symptoms were pretty bad- each time she reacted to a food I ate, they got progressively worse. We asked the pediatrician, he didn't seem to have a clue. He said he didn't think it would be allergies, but he would send us to an allergist if we wanted. We said ok- and the allergist was even less help. She had no interest in hearing about my food diaries or elimination diet (I had seen a nutritionist in the mean time in order to keep myself healthy while limiting foods in my diet), just wanted to do tests. First wanted to do skin testing, I said no because from what I've learned it's not only inaccurate in babies, it's also unsafe for babies this young. We agreed to a blood test (have since learned they aren't accurate either for this young), and it came back negative to everything except peanuts. The allergist said she's allergic to nothing else and that I shouldn't elimninate anything from my diet except nuts. HA! We absolutely know that's not true because I have been keeping a detailed food diary for months and have tracked all her symptoms. Her symptoms are now (just this week) really cleariing up except the poo is still off and now showing a slight hint of blood in the mucous. We took her in to the ped again and had a stool culture sent to the lab... waiting to hear back about that.

You're right. The tests can only give limited information when it comes to young ones. Food journals and elimination diets can give a much better picture.

BTW, the foods that we're pretty sure she's allergic to: milk, soy, eggs, tree nuts, and we're still on the fence about fish (she reacted when I started taking fish oil caps, but didn't react when I ate fish).

Many fish oils contain vitamin E derived from soy, so it may not be the fish at all.

And her symptoms have included: eczema (including some pretty bad cradle cap), gassiness, horrible green, smelly, foamy, mucousy poos, raw spot right around the rectum, trouble sleeping (went from sleeping through the night to up every 45 min.), and general crankiness. She is an abslutely different baby (happy, interactive, sleeps good) when she's not seemingly reacting to foods.

This sounds like so many of us. Is she at baseline yet? How long have you been on the elimination diet?

Anyway, we are totally at a loss for where to go from here. I'm still on the elimination diet, just starting the challenge phase.

When you say the challenge phase, do you mean that you're planning to reintroduce the foods you're pretty sure she's allergic to, or some others that you're still unsure of? IMO, if you know something is causing a problem, you need to keep it out of their/your diet for a while. Some say 6 mths at least to allow time for the gut to heal and for the immune system to calm down, but know that kids with allergies have immune systems that are in flux until age 4 or 5, so eliminating those foods during that time, can give them a better chance of outgrowing the allergy.

I can't afford to continue seeing the nutritionist because it's not covered by insurance. I'm really just looking for resources- online, books, etc. that deal with the food allergies in BF babies. Everything I can find relates to infants that have been started on solids.

I hope Kathy chimes in. She's got lots of information about this.

Oh also- she's really started asking for foods the last couple weeks, and I'm told that I should wait to start her on solids. I definitely want to wait until I'm done with my own challenge phase of the elimination diet so that it doesn't get too confusing- but after that, what do I do?!? Deny her food even though she is obviously ready, or give her food and risk possible sensitization??

Babies can survive on breastmilk alone for the first year. The introduction of food is just that, and introduction. She will be fine if you wait a little while to figure out the triggers and get your diet worked out. Here are a couple of links about introducing food: http://www.soaringcraneclinic.com/Fo...o_Schedule.pdf and http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/allergy.htm

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!!
HTH
#3 of 33 Old 03-24-2008, 09:03 PM

Hi and
I don't have time to write much now but we are going through similar trials (you'll see plenty of threads started by me over the last month ). I just wanted to say that we live in Des Moines, WA (recently moved from Seattle -our whole lives are in Seattle, we just happen to live a bit south) and it would be so cool to have a local person to connect with, share local resources with, etc. How old is your babe? Mine is 9 months tomorrow. I'll try to write more later tonight if I can.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#4 of 33 Old 03-24-2008, 09:11 PM

www.kidswithfoodallergies.org

BTDT got the t-shirt. That site has BFing the FA kid info out the yingyang
#5 of 33 Old 03-24-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the great links! I forgot to post in my original thread that I also got a book from the library that has been a lot of help too- Dealing with Food Allergies in Babies and Children by Janice Vickerstaff Joneja, PdD, RD. Since I'm new to the boards and haven't yet figured out all the tricks to quoting and replying, I am going to reply to everyone at once.

Chinese Pistache - You don't know how relieved I am to hear there are lots of you out there. Not that I'm glad you're suffering too.. but everyone that I've talked to so far, including the medical 'professionals' act like I'm making this whole thing up. So thanks for reassuring me that I'm not in fact crazy (at least in this respect.) That's also great to know about the fish oil. I made sure to get one that stated no allergens, but who knows.

I started the elimination diet about 2 months ago, but it turned out to be not restrictive enough (it allowed nuts, fish, shellfish). So I've been having to take more foods out. Now I think we're at a point where I've taken everything bad out, and for now I'm only challenging foods that I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that she's NOT allergic to- like fish, shellfish, wheat, corn. I'm pretty positive about the milk and eggs, so I won't challenge those for a while.

DoulaMary- My dd is 5-1/2 months. And we're actually in Burien, so right down the road from you! I actually responded to your post about vitamins before I posted this, so I do see that you're having similar issues. (BTW, the calcium supplements I mentioned were at The Grainery on 1st Ave in Burien, just north and across the street from Fred Meyer.) It would definitely be great to know someone in the area to share info with!!

#6 of 33 Old 03-24-2008, 10:08 PM

Hey, just wanted to reassure you that there are many of us... I started taking foods out of my diet when dd was 2 weeks old and got serious about it at 6 weeks. She's eight months old now and I'm happy to report that the few reactions that she has now are minute in comparison to how things were last fall. I think she's going to outgrow everything with a little help! She's started solids in the last six weeks and is doing great, although all her nutrition still comes from breastmilk. A book you might like is Digestive Wellness for Children by Elizabeth Lipski. Another is Is This Your Child by Doris Rapp. My advice is go slow adding foods back to your diet. I had some fails after 8 days of ingesting. And be careful to only add a food to either your diet or hers at one time, so things don't get confusing if she does react. If you can, find a naturopath or chiro who does muscle testing. They will help you pinpoint things you guys are sensitive to, not just allergic to. And definitely get both of you started on probiotics if you haven't already. Good luck!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#7 of 33 Old 03-24-2008, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

The nutritionist that I saw recommended them, but didn't give me specifics. I called back to see what kind I should take, and am still waiting for a return call 3 weeks later... oh well.

I went to Whole Foods and searched the entire probiotics section until I found 2 brands that stated 'no allergens', and non-dairy derived. I ended up getting the Solgar Advanced Acidophilus Plus, which has L. acidophilus: 250 million viable microorganisms, and B. lactis: 250 million. But I have no idea if this is the right kind... since there are so many.

#8 of 33 Old 03-24-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
The nutritionist that I saw recommended them, but didn't give me specifics. I called back to see what kind I should take, and am still waiting for a return call 3 weeks later... oh well.

I went to Whole Foods and searched the entire probiotics section until I found 2 brands that stated 'no allergens', and non-dairy derived. I ended up getting the Solgar Advanced Acidophilus Plus, which has L. acidophilus: 250 million viable microorganisms, and B. lactis: 250 million. But I have no idea if this is the right kind... since there are so many.
Infants' guts are colonized by bifidus primarily and it's what helps to seal the gut (which is naturally permeable when they are born) to keep foreign proteins from leaking out and causing allergic reactions. You want to find probiotics that will do that and frankly, there aren't a lot of allergy free options on the store shelves. I know there are a few brands out there, but the easiest to get (and it's a quality brand, too) is Kirkman Labs. This is the one I plan to give my newest baby when he's born: http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/products/...do_081_60.html

BTW, to give probiotics to an infant, you can let them suck the powder off your finger (I plan to give 1/4 an adult dose daily).
#9 of 33 Old 03-25-2008, 04:13 PM

We've had pretty much the same thing, except the poop was brownish yellow and water.

Nutritionists are expensive, aren't they? I went to one Saturday; she charges $180 an hour, but had the decency to knock off 15 minutes because we were talking about/playing with the boy.

She found out that I had had antibiotics for mastitis back when John was 3 weeks old, so she suspects bad flora and a resultant heightened immune response. I've been bad about probiotics, and she has me taking a beneficial yeast strain before I start the acidopholus/b. infantitis. What I'm taking is Florastor - 2 capsules 2 times a day for me, 1 capsule 2 times a day for John (I'm putting the contents in BM and spoon feeding it to him).

We started this Sunday. I may be too hopeful, but he let his father rock him back to sleep Sunday night (hasn't done that for a while, usually he insists on boobie); he slept more than 1 cycle in a row last night (I think 3! - 2 hours); and he hasn't pooped as often, and it might be firming up a little (but we're also slowly starting BLW).

We start the beneficial bacteria probiotics in 2 weeks or so. And I'm keeping the status quo on my TED.
#10 of 33 Old 03-25-2008, 07:39 PM

First, I am sending you lots of positive vibes, because this is really hard stuff to handle. (I was trying to send a hug but that emoticon is apparently hiding right now.) The experience of having something wrong with your child and no one seeming able to help fix it is a terrible thing to have to go through.

As you've seen from above, there are lots of moms (myself included) who saw their DC affected by food issues, even while they were still totally breastfed. I don't want to type my DS's story, but if you want, you will find chunks if you look at previous posts. I totally know the blank looks you get when you're trying to get help from an MD...and my DC bled internally from 2m to 4m because they weren't listening to me at my ped's office. (I switched by the way.) I finally asked for a way to prove it to them. They gave me hemocult cards, and the results were very positive for blood, even in areas it wasn't visible. I'll never know why so many (medical) folks are embracing such denial, but it can feel like you're Alice in wonderland...and with everyone else being in such agreement...I felt crazy sometimes. I doubted myself, and let nurses who thought I was an overly worried first-time mom convince me that I was. Then when it turned out I was right, I felt bad that I hadn't followed my gut.

It's still sometimes hard. (Although it does get easier too.) My DS is now 16 months. The allergist we recently saw could definitively say he's allergic to egg white, but then kept talking about his food sensitivities, and I just asked, "Do you mean his INTOLERANCES?" He said yes. The thing is a lot of the doctors don't know much about intolerance, so they act like there is no such thing. I am glad you found this site, and glad you've been observant and caught your DC's reactions so early. You seem to have a good internal compass about what to do / not do. Call them back if they don't return your call...you deserve an answer if you asked a question. There are lots of us engaged in the same learning, studying every BM, dancing around fragile medical egos because we have hard medical questions and need answers. At least we can share and learn from each other, and be supportive. Oh, there it is...

Momma to one small person I call Smoodgie :joy.gif
#11 of 33 Old 03-26-2008, 10:29 AM

Hi,
I'm glad to see so many people have shown you so much love and support (on here I am a Naturopathic Doctor who specializes in pediatrics and natural childbirth. I thought i'd throw my two cents in...

Food sensitivities are temporary (as opposed to true allergies which are severe immunological reactions.) You are dealing with sensitivities thankfully. As was stated above, a lot of it has to do with the intestinal membrane, and how well it is keeping out what it needs to keep out. In your case, I would imagine that something (perhaps the vaccination) caused inflammation in your little ones intestines, and they have been letting in larger proteins and food molecules than they should. This causes even more inflammation, and "leakiness". The child becomes sensitive to more and more foods.

It sounds like you have done a great job with the food restriction, and have some good ideas what the main culprits are. So, what else can you do? The probiotics and fish oil are great. Additionally I recommend that my patients take digestive enzymes (both "betaine HCL, and Pancreatic Enzymes) before meals. Also, do not drink water or other fluids less than 15 minutes before meals, and 45 minutes afterwards. The enzymes and the water restriction will insure that food is reaching your digestive lining as completely broken down as possible. This will reduce or eliminate reactions to foods.

Typically 4-6 weeks of food restriction with above treatment will solve most of the problems. You may find that after 4-6 weeks there is still one or maybe two foods that prompt a reaction, but that is much easier than 5-10 foods... Find a good Naturopathic Doctor in your area who can help you address what remains. In the state of Washington, they are able to accept most health insurance plans!

Based on your description of your baby's digestive symptoms and behavior, the homeopathic remedy "chamomilla" sounds like it would be helpful. You can find it in the health food store in 30C potency. It is perfectly safe to use these remedies with infants. Simply place a pellet in her mouth, it will dissolve, and it is sweet so she will enjoy it. Do this when her digestion is upset like you described (gassiness, crankiness, green stool, etc.) If you prefer, you can take the remedy under your tongue daily for a week. It will help her indirectly through the breast milk...

Good luck,

Gabriel Archdeacon, ND
#12 of 33 Old 03-26-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I certainly hope this is just a temporary thing but I'm not so sure. Thanks for all the suggestions though.

mommydancer - Thank you SO much for your post and positive vibes. I almost cried when I read it. It's true- after so many 'professionals' looking at me like I'm crazy or responding like I'm making this whole thing up, after a while it gets hard not to believe it yourself. I'm so glad I found this forum where I can be assured that I'm not the only one out there suffering with these problems!!

#13 of 33 Old 03-29-2008, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the advice and support from everyone out there in MDC land.

I think we're finally getting a handle on all these allergies. DD's symptoms are all getting better. Her poo is still a little off, but getting better. The eczema has cleared up, and she seems much happier- so much happier that even when she sprouted her first tooth a couple days ago, she was still smiling and sleeping pretty well, as opposed to the screaming and no sleep with the allergies.

Just one more question for those with milk allergies- do your DC's also react to beef? I think that's what DD's last reaction was to. I hadn't eaten any for a month or more on the elimination diet, but then had a steak and she had a pretty big reaction. From what I've read, people are 'supposed' to be able to eat beef even with a milk allergy, so I'm not sure... but that's the only thing we could narrow down the reaction to, because it was the only new food that day.

#14 of 33 Old 03-29-2008, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gabriel Archdeacon, ND: 4-6 weeks? My DD has been off some of the foods for 18 months, and she still can't have them. That's multiple foods - more than 20. I don't know of anyone who has only had food intolerances for 4-6 weeks.

The Nordic Naturals fish oil was recommended to me, and I looked at the ingredients, and almost bought them because it didn't list soy in the ingredients. But on the side panel, it did say that the Vitamin E was derived from soy. So I agree with Chinese pistache. Read ALL the labeling.

I can understand your frustration with the allergist. The same thing happened to my son when he was 8 months old. "He's not allergic to milk. Go ahead and let him drink it." Took him home, gave him milk, and the vomiting started. Why didn't I trust my intuition and experience? (He had projectile vomited my breastmilk every time I drank milk -- which my pediatrician didn't believe either). He's now 7, and still can't drink milk. We keep thinking he outgrows it, but he's okay for a while, and then gets it back again with differente symptoms. So that's how long I've been dealing with it.

Trust your instincts. My DD's pediatric gastroenterologist (the first doc. my family came across who was very knowledgable about food intolerances) said to stay off the offending foods for at least 6 months before trying the food again to give the intestines a chance to heal and the immune system to reset itself. That was 18 months ago, and she hasn't outgrown any. I'm not trying to scare you, but I do want you to know that it might not clear up as quickly as some people may say.

Breastfeed as long as you can on the ED. It's hard, but soooo worth it. I wish I'd done it longer. And had the support that I've now found here. You're doing a fantastic job!

Kathy

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#15 of 33 Old 03-30-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielArchdeacon View Post
Hi,
. Additionally I recommend that my patients take digestive enzymes (both "betaine HCL, and Pancreatic Enzymes) before meals. Also, do not drink water or other fluids less than 15 minutes before meals, and 45 minutes afterwards. The enzymes and the water restriction will insure that food is reaching your digestive lining as completely broken down as possible. This will reduce or eliminate reactions to foods.

Gabriel Archdeacon, ND
How do you recommend that enzymes are administered to babies? I had been giving my baby half capsule daily, but not in any particular order with BF. I've temporarily halted the enzyme with my own baby, but if I go back to it, can I still give it to him with a bit of breastmilk?
#16 of 33 Old 03-30-2008, 01:15 AM

Changingseasons~ I have had to eliminate beef also. If you can do Bison that would be better if it's available in your area. My DS doesn't react when I eat it.

I've had to eliminate cow's milk products, beef, italian seasoning, pork (took me awhile to figure out this one), wheat, chocolate.
And now we are starting on some solids, but I've backed off because he threw up carrots after his second time trying them.

I have started going to a Bioset practitioner who has been doing allergy testing and clearings on him. It's been working great and his poop has close to normalized and his spitting up has gotten more manageable. I'm also giving him a little bit of digestive enzymes and Primadophilus probiotics.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#17 of 33 Old 03-30-2008, 02:15 AM

I'm going to agree w/ the PP by Kathy about the inability to outgrow intolerances in a matter of weeks. It may be that the longer it goes before we catch it the longer the healing, it may be that kids and guts work differently (and fail to work differently), it may be lots of things...but I think you can't throw 4-6 weeks as an expectation for recovery from a food intolerance. (If that really is the norm then I must be doing something wrong.) Most of the cases in which I have heard of recovery were over a period of years, and there was still kind of a tolerance level that gradually increased. I am certainly not a doctor, so I won't say I know better than anyone else, but I personally know there was no (intentional) milk or soy in our diet from 4 mos. to present. Anytime it was consumed (usually by accident) there was a quick, obvious reaction...and at least one of these was a "blind test" in that I did not believe I had had any dairy, but then by backwards research learned that there was in fact something somewhere that had caused it.

Probably the easiest thing to agree on is that it sucks, and second...it's complicated.

#18 of 33 Old 03-30-2008, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9sarchik View Post
I've had to eliminate cow's milk products, beef, italian seasoning, pork (took me awhile to figure out this one), wheat, chocolate.
Italian seasoning?!? How on earth did you figure that out? And do you know what in the seasoning is causing the reaction? I haven't even begun to think about spices...

I will second the above post that this DOES suck and is super complicated... Every time I think I get things figured out, DD reacts to something new. We were finally at a point where her symptoms were almost completely gone, and yesterday she had projectile spittup after I nursed her! And I had nothing in my diet that I hadn't been eating for weeks. I'm hoping it was just a giant gas bubble or something, and not actually another reaction. :

#19 of 33 Old 03-30-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Italian seasoning?!? How on earth did you figure that out? And do you know what in the seasoning is causing the reaction? I haven't even begun to think about spices...
I thought that it was the tomatoes, but he's fine when I eat ketchup or other things with tomatoes so I was a bit confused. It was the allergy testing that finally confirmed that it was the seasoning.
I don't know what is in the seasoning, except I could guess oregano because I sometimes react to it too. I sure do miss my pasta and pizza!!!
DS's misery is my misery too so it's just so hard when they are feeling bad.

On the positive side, boy am I thin now and I have nice boobs!

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#20 of 33 Old 03-30-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

You know, I was thinking the same thing when I started the ED- at least I will lose some of this baby weight!! I lost 20 pounds in just a couple weeks, but then haven't lost a pound since (3 weeks now)!! And I'm struggling to get more than 1000 calories some days.... what's up with that?

#21 of 33 Old 03-30-2008, 09:21 PM

Just want to let you know that I am in the same boat... HARD! and waiting for it to get easier!
#22 of 33 Old 03-30-2008, 09:23 PM

DS is 6 months. It's so hard and I can't help but feel down on myself sometimes thinking my breast milk is causing all his problems...eczema, refluxy symptoms, gas, fussiness, etc. I've tried eliminating lots of things...which leaves me very hungry! After reading some of the other posts, I know I am not alone. I hope he outgrows alot of this!
#23 of 33 Old 03-31-2008, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I thought things were getting better... DD's eczema was almost completely gone, the mucousy/bloody poos were almost completely gone, the spittup was gone, the screaming fits were gone...

Then, Saturday morning, I noticed DD scratching her forehead (one of her major eczema spots) when she woke up. Then a few hours later, she had some projectile spittup after I nursed her. The spittup has continued all weekend, her butt is all rashy and raw again, her entire head and face are flared up with eczema, and she's super gassy.

I am totally at my wit's end. I spent half the day crying yesterday because I just feel like giving up. I searched and searched through my food diaries to see what could have caused it, and I can't find anything. The only thing that was new in my diet starting on Friday night was a new brand of maple syrup. Is that even possible?!? There's not even an ingredient list, it just says "100% pure maple syrup" on the front. I have been eating maple syrup since the beginning of the ED, but not this brand. I just emailed the company to see if they also manufacture anything with dairy/soy/eggs/nuts, but their website doesn't show any other products...

I'm looking for a ped gastroenterologist that is covered on DD's (DP's) insurance to see if we can get some help there, but I just don't know what else to do.... I'm looking into getting some enzymes and I'm already taking probiotics. Anyone have any good enzyme brands? And do they work if I take them (rather than giving them directly to DD)?

I really just need someone to reassure me that this will get better... feeling really down in the dumps today. :

#24 of 33 Old 03-31-2008, 04:28 PM

{hugs}. It is so frustrating.

Was it organic maple syrup?

I've heard that sometimes they use chemicals in the processing of the syrup, like formaldehyde. Since it was the only new thing I'd switch back to the old brand & see if it helps.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#25 of 33 Old 03-31-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
You know, I was thinking the same thing when I started the ED- at least I will lose some of this baby weight!! I lost 20 pounds in just a couple weeks, but then haven't lost a pound since (3 weeks now)!! And I'm struggling to get more than 1000 calories some days.... what's up with that?
I think our bodies know to keep some extra padding while we're nursing...just wish I could lobby for the storage to occur in some places and not others. (I giggled at K9sarchik's post.)

Changing seasons - We all have days or weekends where it's just too much. Can I offer a reframe? Think of it this way...something made your DC react. You may be able to isolate yet another thing that isn't tolerated...that would be good information to have. The whole idea here (as I understand it) is to get them to
(A) stop reacting so that we can
(B) add things back in one at a time so at some point they
(C) react and "prove" something to be an "offensive" food for their little body. Then we can
(D) burn the offending compound in the backyard. (Okay, I am trying to be funny there.)

But, the way I'm trying to see it is any reaction is a chance to catch an offender. They are elusive though, so I have had plenty of "chances" that didn't lead to an arrest. That is frustrating. I think it will get better, as you said. It gets to me too...every so often.

#26 of 33 Old 03-31-2008, 04:53 PM

Ugh. Huge bummer. Just wanted to pass on that I just bought Enzymedica Lacto and that Marlene's in Federal Way carries it if you don't want to go to Seattle (they also carry many other products of theirs). I'm not starting her on it until late Thursday because it can make things worse before better and we have a few places we have to be this week - don't want to push it. You do need to give the enzyme directly to the baby. You can take them also if you feel you may have some gut issues but both probiotics and enzymes need to be directly given to whoever is being treated. By the way, Lacto is the closest thing to Houston Neut.'s "Zyme Prime" which I was going to get but chose not to based on jplain's claim that they have hidden corn (just in case it does, and just in case we have to go off corn). Enzymedica also told me this was a nice, gently enzyme to start with and you will also read that if you go to enzymestuff.com.

Also, the current syrup we have (I didn't read ingredients when I bought it because I don't like syrup) has multiple corn products in it and it is a good organic kind from Whole Foods!! Ya just never know. Hope your LO feels better soon and that you can figure out what caused the flare up. I really bet it's the syrup.

#27 of 33 Old 03-31-2008, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Just got a response from the syrup company... they "only produce pure maple syrup."

The only other thing I ate Friday night was some popcorn, and DD's never reacted to corn before. But maybe she is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMary View Post
You do need to give the enzyme directly to the baby. You can take them also if you feel you may have some gut issues but both probiotics and enzymes need to be directly given to whoever is being treated.
Well, that is a big bummer. I've been taking the probiotics myself. I'm not completely comfortable giving the enzymes or probiotics directly to her without a professional reviewing her symptoms and giving me a specific kind for her, so I guess I will wait on that.

I also just left a message for my ped to send a referral for us to go to Children's Hospital to see a gastroenterologist there. Hopefully he will do it soon, since it takes a month or so to get in.

#28 of 33 Old 03-31-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I'm not completely comfortable giving the enzymes or probiotics directly to her without a professional reviewing her symptoms and giving me a specific kind for her, so I guess I will wait on that.
I completely understand this instinct but just be aware that these are things that are not likely to be recommended by western med docs and that you'll probably need to see an ND or chiro or someone else who is familiar with "alternative" treatments like this. (So how are probiotics and dig. enz. alternative and man made drugs that MD's prescribe are normal, mainstream????) - that's a whole 'nother thread!

Quote:
I also just left a message for my ped to send a referral for us to go to Children's Hospital to see a gastroenterologist there. Hopefully he will do it soon, since it takes a month or so to get in.
Just in case you haven't tried, you may be able to make an appointment before the actual referral goes through. Could speed things up by at least a few days.

#29 of 33 Old 03-31-2008, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

OMG... after wracking my brains about this all day, I think I just figured it out. On Friday I had some sugar-snap peas that I apparently forgot to put in my food diary. It also never crossed my mind that they would be a bad idea, even though she had a small reaction after some split pea soup a while back (I wasn't sure if it was the soup or something else I ate that day.) God, I feel like SUCH an idiot!

So I guess our list now includes- dairy, soy, eggs, nuts/LEGUMES, and we're still not sure about the fish/shellfish. At least I figured it out (hopefully)... that makes me feel better. Now we just have to get through the week of symptoms until she gets it out of her system...

#30 of 33 Old 04-01-2008, 12:45 PM

Good for you, Nancy Drew!

I agree w/ the PP about calling the gastro MD for an appt prior to your referral. It actually costs less sometimes if you self refer. (Don't get me started, I'll start soapboxing.) They may only take referrals, but you don't know 'till you call.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page