Question about Singulair? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-16-2008, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have really bad seasonal allergies ~ they seem to get worse every year ~ this year I started having asthma attacks 4-6 times a day... so in addition to my "rescue" medication my dr prescribed Singulair, since no other allergy medication has helped me to date.

One of the side effects is listed as "sleeplessness." This has been an understatement for me... I'm getting maybe 1, 2 hours maximum of sleep a night. I've been on it for about a week now and am totally drained. Is this going to go away or should I ask my dr about this??

Also, another side effect is "depression or suicidal thoughts" ... and, well my life is crap right now... but I'm having trouble figuring out if the depression I'm currently fighting (for about the past week or so) is more the Singulair, or just a culmination of all the crap I've gone through the last 4-6 months. ~ If you've used Singulair for any length of time, do you have experience with this and if so, how do you know its the medication and not just life??

TIA
#2 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Really no-one huh?

#3 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 10:46 AM

Dr just prescribed this for DD, so I am interested in responses too. I haven't filled it yet. I am waffling.
#4 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well ... since no-one else is responding let me come back and add this: it's been over a week now... I'm sleeping a little better but have bouts of drowsiness during the day that are literally disabling. As in, if I were behind the wheel of a car we'd all be dead. I have NO doubt they're caused by the Singulair as that's the only NEW thing that's been added in to my med list, and I've stopped everything else. In addition I have been having massive depressive moments... uncharacteristically much, even considering what I've gone through the last few months. And to top it all off, it's not working to control my asthma or allergies.

So ... I have to say I think Merck's made Singulair a blockbuster by advertising to physicians ONLY. I'm going to take myself off of it. I just can't see it being worth the risk.

As far as for CHILDREN - it's not even advised for use in children anymore

My dd had great success with Pulmicort respules ... you might look into those.
#5 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 02:11 PM

I haven't taken it and my DS did take it for about 10-12 weeks this winter before I stopped giving it to him and then a few days later saw the FDA's study of links to depression and suicide. It *really* helped with his asthma, but was not worth sticking with as it turned him into an angry little guy. It took a while to see if it was just an age thing (like, maybe all 5.5 year olds suddenly become really mad and angry) and then putting the pieces together and realizing it was tied to the drug.

If I were you, I would try to wean off of it (I read to wean off it slowly as some of the effects can be pronounced coming off of it just as they are coming on) and look for other ways to help your asthma.

I think asthma is so scary -- it's about BREATHING, right, so essential to LIFE and not anything you want to mess with -- but I'd even prefer to have him on prednisone (which is saying a lot, as I can't stand what prednisone does to him either) than have this personality change long term, ykwim?

Good luck, and I hope you are feeling better soon.
#6 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 06:35 PM

I've taken singular in the past and never had any side effects whatsoever. I now just take zyrtec for allergies and have albuteral for a rescue inhaler. When I get really bad, like in the winter, I take flovent as well.
#7 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Never had ANY side effects?

Wow you're lucky ... I get massive side-effects from everything.
#8 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 07:17 PM

My DD 6's behavior/ mood/ sleep is not affected by singulaire, but she was very intense and not a heavy sleeper to begin with. I'm extremely concerned about the reports associated with singulaire though... I would like to find an alternative.
#9 of 10 Old 04-18-2008, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I take singulaire for my asthma, and my 6yo dd and 4yo ds do as well. I have never in my life been as well controlled as I am now that I am on singulaire. I was off of it for several years, while I was having babies. At that point, my pregnancy and nursing hormones seemed to protect me. But as my hormone levels went back to normal I started having serious issues again. Back on the singulaire now, I am in wonderful shape. I actually have not had one side effect from it, and I am generally ultra sensitive to drugs of any type.

My kids. My son has a reactive airway. When he is not on singulaire he vomits EVERY SINGLE NIGHT because he starts to cough and can not stop. Usually several times a night. When he is outdoors, especially near leaves or pollen (uh?...everywhere), or indoors near dustmites, he is in trouble. The singulair makes him NORMAL. And no. He has not experienced even one side effect. He is definately a happier little boy when he gets a full night's sleep and a half day outside playing hard...which he can't do without the little peach pill that he takes every night before bed. Do I absolutely HATE that he is dependant upon MERK? YUP. And do we feel blessed that we have the technology available to us to treat him with more than a glass of warm water. YOUBETCHA!!

DD has had symptoms of asthma since she was 12 mos old. We started her on singulair when she was about 2 years old. It made a difference in the frequency of her symptoms. When we run out of her prescription, she almost always ends up in crisis. Neither do I notice symptoms/side effects in her.

My kids are happy, active, sleep twelve hours a night, when we control their asthma symptoms.

I use vitamins, supplements, herbs sometimes, too, by the way, on top of the inhaled steroids and rescue inhaler. But the one piece of the puzzle that seems to make it all work the best is the singulair.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#10 of 10 Old 04-18-2008, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Crazy! : but glad it works for you!!

I'm going to stop taking it ... there has GOT to be a way to control my asthma... one that doesn't involve being awake ALL freaking night... and having mood swings and now random bouts of crying... and doesn't even touch my asthma. I had 4 asthma attacks today despite the Singulair. I just can't deal with that.

Thanks for your input though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page