Mothering Forum banner

DS Allergic to Earth's Best Packaging?

772 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Kiyomi 
#1 ·
Hi Mamas!

My 9 month old DS seems to always have a reaction (i.e., eczema flare up) to the Earth's Best baby cereal. I have tried both the rice and the oatmeal.

However, when I give him cooked organic brown rice that I have prepared, he shows no reaction. Weird! This is what makes me think it must be the packaging.

FYI, I first tried the cereal at 6 months of age, tried again around 8 mo, and now he's back to nearly exclusive breastfeeding (not like I mind, it's so much *neater* than cleaning up smeared cereal!).

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any similar experiences?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
That's interesting. I've read that many cereals that say they contain no preservatives have preservatives in the packaging - I wouldn't have thought that Earth's Best would do that but perhaps that's the problem.

#3 ·
My naturopath told me there are preservatives in those cereals too and most likely your baby is reacting to them. (btw, we have the same problem, so you are not alone). Just think about it for a minute, how can a cereal have such a long shelf life and at the same time be prepared (cooked) so quickly? There must be something in it. Also, ANY baby food from the store has preservatives and not just cereals so it is best to prepare all yourself. good luck.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by M_of_M
Just think about it for a minute, how can a cereal have such a long shelf life and at the same time be prepared (cooked) so quickly? There must be something in it.
Good point!

I just emailed Earth's Best regarding this situation...let's see what they have to say.

Thanks, Cathe & M_of_M, for your input!!!

#5 ·
Earth's Best FINALLY replied to my email. Here it is:

Thank you for your interest in our Earth Best products. We strive to
maintain high quality consistent products and appreciate your patronage.

We strive to continually maintain the highest quality industry standards in
every item we manufacture. The inside lining of the packages have a heat
seal coating applied to the paper with a low-density polyethylene, not
recyclable. Boxes are made of recycled paper. No preservatives were
sprayed inside boxes.

Again, thank you for your continued support of The Hain Celestial Group.

------------

OK, so what's with the heat seal stuff? Does anyone know anything about this?

TIA!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.