Has anyone used clarified butter in a dairy-free diet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 04-21-2008, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In Joneja's book, it gives instructions on making clarified butter and says that it can be used in the dairy-free diet (in the section on babies with eczema). I'm just curious if anyone has used it. Too afraid to try myself yet... And does it actually taste like butter still? Because that's really what I miss- the yummy buttery flavor on my bowl of popcorn. EVOO just isn't the same... :

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#2 of 38 Old 04-21-2008, 09:20 PM

I don't know the answer to your question but the IBCLC that I just talked to said that in the allergy world butter is often just considered a fat, not a dairy item. Obviously butter is a dairy item but I know it's way down on the Joneja's list and the LC said that any proteins in butter are so destroyed or something that it's usually not a problem. Hhhmmm. I'm not about to try that anytime soon but am also wondering this question, similar to yours. How do you make ghee by the way?

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#3 of 38 Old 04-21-2008, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

This is how the book says to do it (Dealing with Food Allergies in Babies and Children by Janice Joneja):

Quote:
  • Over low heat, melt 1 lb of butter (4 sticks), cut into pieces, in a heavy saucepan.
  • Milk solids will sink to the bottom, and may rise to the top as foam.
  • Skim the foam off the top and discard.
  • Allow the residue of milk solids to sink to the bottom and pour off the clear oil.
  • Discard the bottom solids.
  • The remaining clear yellow oil (about one-fourth less than what you started with) is clarified butter (ghee).
Oh- it also says that you can make it into whipped butter by blending with a polyunsaturated vegetable oil like canola, otherwise it will turn really hard and be difficult to spread.

#4 of 38 Old 04-21-2008, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We don't have allergies, we just need to avoid casein. We've been fine with Purity Farms ghee. It tastes extra-buttery, and we store it at room temp so it's easy to spread (if it were refrigerated, it would be really, really hard). I wouldn't make it myself because I don't think I could get all the proteins out, and I only buy Purity Farms' because they test for casein (and whatever their threshold is for detecting casein, it's been good enough for us). I think if we had actual allergies, I would be more hesitant (unless I just tried it, not realizing it could be a problem, and then it was fine--which is basically what we did).
#5 of 38 Old 04-21-2008, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
We don't have allergies, we just need to avoid casein. We've been fine with Purity Farms ghee. It tastes extra-buttery, and we store it at room temp so it's easy to spread (if it were refrigerated, it would be really, really hard). I wouldn't make it myself because I don't think I could get all the proteins out, and I only buy Purity Farms' because they test for casein (and whatever their threshold is for detecting casein, it's been good enough for us). I think if we had actual allergies, I would be more hesitant (unless I just tried it, not realizing it could be a problem, and then it was fine--which is basically what we did).
Where do you buy that? Grocery store, health food store? I wouldn't mind making it myself, but if they test for casein that would make me feel better... who knows if I would do it right and get all the milk proteins out.

#6 of 38 Old 04-21-2008, 11:59 PM

Lord, yes, it still tastes like butter.
Gloriously like butter.
Because, see, it IS still butter. You just took the ickies out and kept the good stuff. I use it because it cooks better, looks better, doesn't burn, and is better for you. Fewer unhealthy compounds are created as a byproduct of heating it. And it's crucial to good Indian food.

<3 me some clarified butter. if I had enough of it I would use it for confit.
#7 of 38 Old 04-22-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Where do you buy that? Grocery store, health food store? I wouldn't mind making it myself, but if they test for casein that would make me feel better... who knows if I would do it right and get all the milk proteins out.
It's pretty easy to tell. Milk proteins - milky white solids. Stuff to keep - golden liquid. Skim, strain, skim again.
#8 of 38 Old 04-22-2008, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug View Post
Lord, yes, it still tastes like butter.
Gloriously like butter.
Mmmmmm. That's fantastic. I think I'm going to go buy some butter tomorrow so I can try it out. :

#9 of 38 Old 04-22-2008, 12:14 AM

Ohhh...I'm scared but SO tempted. I miss butter more than just about anything else I think. You just can't replicate that flavor.

#10 of 38 Old 04-22-2008, 12:19 AM

Take a pound of butter (4 sticks). Heat it in a saucepot over medium-low heat, until it melts. Take a spoon, tilt the saucepot, and skim off all the stuff on top, the white, milky, solid stuff. Then pour off the golden liquid, being careful to pour through the finest strainer possible (cheesecloth works wonders) and not to pour the white solids that have settled at the bottom. Stop cooking when the butter is melted, do NOT brown it or let it simmer.

Then ... enjoy. Next time you'll want to use three pounds, because it goes so fast once it's available. You seriously want to use it to fry chicken, but you don't, because where would all your lovely clarified butter be then except in chicken fat hell?

Do it in bulk as much as you can, and refrigerate it in glass jars. Don't worry when it solidifies under refrigeration - that's not the milkfat, that's just the butterfat. And the butterfat is what you want.
#11 of 38 Old 04-22-2008, 12:22 AM

We don't do dairy but I make ghee all the time. You are separating the fat from the cream so I'm pretty sure it's okay.
#12 of 38 Old 04-22-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Where do you buy that? Grocery store, health food store?
We get ours from Whole Foods; I've never seen it at our local grocery store (not any kind of ghee). It's expensive or I would use more.

ETA: I think this is one of the gray areas, as to how little casein is a problem. I've seen very small amounts of gluten affect us, so I'm not willing to make it myself, but that may work for other people. And like I said, we don't have actual allergies (which I think may be more difficult than our restrictions); we're GFCF because of the mercury in my fillings (and now in my kids).
#13 of 38 Old 04-23-2008, 04:25 PM

It's a staple here! I do have to balance it with other fats though. If it's the main fat (easy to do since it's so tasty) then the kids start getting dry skin.

You can make it easily
#14 of 38 Old 04-24-2008, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Oh how I miss buttahhhh *drool*. We've got moderate to pretty severe dairy allergies here so this sounds heavenly. Glad I saw this!

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#15 of 38 Old 04-24-2008, 05:34 PM

I too make clarified butter, and what a blessing it is! Last nights corn on the cob was much better with it. I was nervous at first too but it is super easy.
#16 of 38 Old 04-24-2008, 11:02 PM

If you are truly allergic to milk, ghee is a very bad idea.

For many other people, who are avoiding dairy for reasons other than true allergy, (Lactose intolerance or a generalized sensitivity, for instance) then ghee would be "good enough."

There is information all over the place--from expert and informed sources-- that ghee is a no-go for a dairy allergy, so tread carefully. If your allergy (or other reaction) is so bad that you are reading labels for "may contain" then ghee is a "definite contain."
#17 of 38 Old 04-24-2008, 11:13 PM

We do ghee with no problems but I buy the Purity Farms because homemade ghee is likely to have some milk protein left in it.
#18 of 38 Old 04-28-2008, 06:38 PM

Okay, I just ate a GF lifestream waffle w/ ghee. It made me nervous but I trust you all who eat this in a dairy free diet. It was delicious and I can't wait to put some on my rice tonight!

ETA: I used Purity Farms.

#19 of 38 Old 04-29-2008, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMary View Post
Okay, I just ate a GF lifestream waffle w/ ghee. It made me nervous but I trust you all who eat this in a dairy free diet. It was delicious and I can't wait to put some on my rice tonight!
That is so exciting (and yummy)!! I still haven't made any yet, because I'm waiting for DD's latest reaction to clear. But I can't wait until I can pour some on a big bowl of popcorn. : (Of course, I still have to do an official corn challenge because I haven't eaten much of that lately....)

#20 of 38 Old 07-03-2008, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I know this thread is super old... but I finally bought (and tried) some ghee!! I found the Purity Farms brand at Whole Foods last week.... I was really nervous about trying it, but -
DD is fine with it- NO REACTION!! :

#21 of 38 Old 07-03-2008, 02:44 AM

Yay! :
Have some for me too.
DS1 has an IgE allergy to dairy so none of us "do" dairy.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#22 of 38 Old 07-03-2008, 07:31 AM

oh i wanna try it!!! i wish i lived near a wf, i love wf!
#23 of 38 Old 07-03-2008, 11:56 AM

CS - SOOOOOO happy for you. It honestly has made a big difference in my enjoyment of various foods so I really hope this stays a good one for you. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

#24 of 38 Old 07-07-2008, 02:28 AM

My DS had no reaction for a while but then it "built up". No other changes to his diet but taking that out got us back to perfect skin & poops.

He has very low IgE levels to dairy and his allergy dr. thinks dairy in general is fine... however if he is reacting with eczema, it's not fine in my book.

So tread carefully. I know it's hard!!
#25 of 38 Old 07-07-2008, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah...... I was just coming here tonight to say that I'm no longer sure about the ghee.

DD has reacted to a couple things in the past week. One was my Vitamin C (pharmaceutic grade straight ascorbic acid- with a "guarentee" to be hypoallergenic and contain no residual corn proteins and the other was to Jones Pure Cane Cola. I wasn't sure why, but then someone said something about caramel color being possibly dairy derived... So I think between that and the ghee, she has started to react. She had a tiny bit of blood in her stool the other day, and dairy is what causes that for her.

So the ghee is out.

#26 of 38 Old 07-07-2008, 02:36 AM

Big bummer. So sorry!

I was actually going to post another ghee thread but maybe someone can answer me here. I eat ghee all the time and DD is fine with it. Is it appropriate to give her some directly or not? We are totally dairy free except for ghee and she has never had dairy directly. I am in no hurry to give it to her, I was just wondering.

#27 of 38 Old 07-07-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
DD has reacted to a couple things in the past week. One was my Vitamin C (pharmaceutic grade straight ascorbic acid- with a "guarentee" to be hypoallergenic and contain no residual corn proteins and the other was to Jones Pure Cane Cola. I wasn't sure why, but then someone said something about caramel color being possibly dairy derived... So I think between that and the ghee, she has started to react. She had a tiny bit of blood in her stool the other day, and dairy is what causes that for her.
Totally unrelated to ghee, but:
I haven't heard of caramel color being dairy derived, but I've heard of it being derived from most of the grains, including but not limited to corn and wheat.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#28 of 38 Old 07-07-2008, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Totally unrelated to ghee, but:
I haven't heard of caramel color being dairy derived, but I've heard of it being derived from most of the grains, including but not limited to corn and wheat.
Someone mentioned it in another thread, and then I found it online (somewhere...) that it can have dairy in it.

Of course, the Jones cola also has 'natural flavors' , so it could be something in that too. I emailed them to see if any of the top 8 or corn are in there... we'll see what they say.

#29 of 38 Old 07-07-2008, 05:23 AM

Here is a site saying caramel coloring can be dairy. Gah.
Just looked in my allergy booklet and it's there too.
Anyway, there's the link.

#30 of 38 Old 07-07-2008, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Stupid hidden ingredients. I took dairy out of my diet so long ago, that I've forgotten some of the hidden ingredients to watch out for!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page