Forum Jump: 

#301 of 483 Old 04-09-2009, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
why do we need homeade ketchup again?

kathy could you post that cream sauce (for scalloped potatoes) recipe here? I already went through the whole thread and it wasn't one of the recipes I set aside to try later. or you could pm it to me?! pretty please!

just wanted to say I tried your sandwich bread --it turned out fabulous!!! thank you! my son was so excited!
post #253: scalloped potatoes. Leave out the seasonings if you just want standard white sauce.

I need homemade ketchup because I never found one without corn. Even the agave sweetened ones had citric acid in it. And DS can't do cane sugar either (which are in some of them). We needed it because DS missed it. Tonight after he had the baked beans he said, "You're the best mama in the whole world." Gee, all I had to do was make baked beans to win that award?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 483 Old 04-09-2009, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
why do we need homeade ketchup again?
It depends on who you ask and what their allergens are...
Many make their own because of intolerances or allergies to spices used in store bought ketchups, others due to allergies to corn (corn syrup, some vinegars), still others because of wheat concerns (vinegar again)... Kathy, who can't have corn, wheat, certain spices (onions, I believe), brown rice syrup, etcetera and so forth... Depending on your allergies it can be incredibly difficult to find a "safe" commercial ketchup.
I make a ketchup replacer (not ketchup yet) for use in recipes because I can't justify the cost of using the $5 ketchup I buy for ds1's hot dogs for it.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#303 of 483 Old 04-09-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Tonight after he had the baked beans he said, "You're the best mama in the whole world." Gee, all I had to do was make baked beans to win that award?
Aw.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#304 of 483 Old 04-10-2009, 08:18 AM

Sorry guys, this one still has eggs. But it doesn't have dairy, corn, soy, or gluten... And I've only made it once so I probably will change it a couple times more before I'm completely satisfied. It's still a little sweet (I'll probably cut the sugar down to 3/4 c. and I'll cut the coconut oil down to 1/3 c. next time.

Crust:
2 c. flaked unsweetened coconut
4 Tbs. coconut oil, melted
Mix. Press into bottom of pie pan.
Bake 10 minutes at 325F.

Filling:
1/2 c. coconut oil
1 c. white sugar
2 Tbs. tapioca starch
pinch of salt
3 eggs
1 1/4 c. coconut milk
1 c. flaked unsweetened coconut
2 tsp. corn-free vanilla
Mix all. Pour into prepared crust. Sprinkle with another 2 Tbs. coconut (for decoration). Bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes (until set in middle).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#305 of 483 Old 04-13-2009, 10:43 AM

I've decided these were better than I originally gave them credit for. I think if I made them the size they were supposed to be (25 cent gumball) instead of trying to go bigger because that's the size of my scoop, they wouldn't have been as crumbly. I polished off the rest of the batch last night. This is just a mod. of the Betty Crocker recipe.

1 c. almond flour
1 c. palm shortening
1/2 c. corn-free powdered sugar
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. corn-free vanilla
1 c. millet flour (would probably be less gritty w/ light buckwheat flour)
1/2 c. sweet potato flour
3 Tbs. sweet potato flour + 9 Tbs. water (stir with a fork until smooth, microwave for 20 seconds, stir with fork until smooth, microwave for another 20 seconds, stir until consistency of Elmer's Glue)

Chill dough for about a half hour. Roll into balls the size of a 25 cent gumball. Place on insulated baking sheet. Bake at 375F for 10-12 minutes. Cool on baking sheet 3-4 minutes, then roll in powdered sugar.

#306 of 483 Old 04-13-2009, 10:48 AM

Stick 3-4 lb. pork roast in crockpot.
In a heavy saucepan, combine:
2 cans plain seltzer
12 oz. cherry juice (grape juice would probably work just as well, but I'm trying to use up the cherry since no one liked it)
1 1/2 c. red wine vinegar (original recipe calls for apple cider vinegar)
2 c. palm sugar (or brown sugar if you can have it)
1 Tbs. dry mustard
2 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 bay leaves
3 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. chili powder
Bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Pour half of it onto the pork roast. Cook in crockpot for 8-10 hours. With the half of the sauce that's left, keep it on med. heat and boil until thickened, but not burned, about 45 minutes.

When the roast is done, pull it apart with 2 forks and stick it in with the thickened sauce. Then pour about 1-1 1/2 c. of the leftover liquid from the crockpot in with it. Normally served on rolls but since we can't do rolls, last night we had it on rice. I normally serve with baked beans (on top). It's a pile dinner.

#307 of 483 Old 04-17-2009, 09:51 PM

not sure how many of you can have beans--but you can fix and change what you sprout depending on allergies. I used to make these before allergies- recipe here: http://www.sproutpeople.com/cookery/...n_burgers.html

today I decided to try and do subs (most nervous about the flax instead of egg)--they turned out awesome--I just had them plain or wrapped in lettuce w/ketchup. my son loved these! (check original recipe-if changing to fit allergies so you don't miss something)

Sprouted Bean Burgers --
I used: 1 c. of adzuki sprouts and 2 cups of lentil sprouts
1 tsp. salt and pepper
2 Tbs veg oil (coconut oil for cooking)
1/2 cup flour-(i used 1/6c brown rice, 1/6c sorghum, 1/6c garbonzo bean flour)
1/4 cup milk (rice milk)
2 eggs - slightly beaten (2TB flax ground up+6TB water microwaved 1 min)
2-3 scallions - finely chopped
2 cloves garlic - minced
1 Tbs. fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried thyme
Preparation
Chop the Sprouts up - finely, or grind them in a food processor. Mix all the ingredients together. Shape into thin (1/4 inch) patties.
Heat pan (cast iron works very well) over medium-high heat for a minute. Add oil and heat for a minute or so - until almost smoking.
Place patties in pan. Brown lightly on each side.
#308 of 483 Old 04-27-2009, 03:06 PM

and could I do it with the carton of so delicious coconut milk versus the cans of coconut milk? probably would be thicker using the cans, huh?

we are dairy and egg free too!
#309 of 483 Old 04-27-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuasmom16 View Post
and could I do it with the carton of so delicious coconut milk versus the cans of coconut milk? probably would be thicker using the cans, huh?

we are dairy and egg free too!
I thought mine was already in this thread somewhere, and I need to find it because DS has been asking for it again. Was the So Delicious Coconut Milk shelf stable? or refrigerated? I've never seen it. I always use the cans but now I'm really curious if I've just overlooked it. WF carries their ice cream, so now I want to look for the milk too! Did you do a search on this thread? If it's not here, I'll have to search through all my loose papers stuffed into my recipe box.

#310 of 483 Old 04-27-2009, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

post #162

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#311 of 483 Old 04-27-2009, 03:32 PM

Recipe looks good - thanks! Do you think I can leave out the arrowroot? is it just a thickener?

Kathy - I just saw it at WF for the 1st time on Sunday. I got the last carton of vanilla flavor. It's cold and right below the cold soymilk cartons (across aisle from regular cow's milk). DS is supposedly trying it for 1st time at sitter today (fingers crossed he drinks it!)
#312 of 483 Old 05-09-2009, 07:57 PM

Two things - first off, Kathy, thank you - I just did a test run of your waffles (using the dark buckwheat flour because that's all I could get at the grocery), and now Mother's Day brunch on my ED won't suck :.

Next up, I'm going to try galettes (French buckwheat crepes, great for savory stuff). Millet, I didn't like so much, but buckwheat, that I can work with! I'll report back.

I haven't seen rice bran oil mentioned, I don't think - we use it a lot for frying (it has a really high smoke point) - I used it in the buckwheat waffles, since I picked olive oil for my ED, so I didn't want to add canola too, and rice is already in the ED. It doesn't have much flavor, so it worked pretty well. Also what I think is a good source of non-corn vitamin E.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#313 of 483 Old 05-10-2009, 07:17 PM

This link: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ht=alton+brown Contains recipes for the gluten free microwave bread originally posted on the celiac.org boards and for Alton Brown's awesome gf chocolate chip cookies.
#314 of 483 Old 05-14-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
http://viveleveganrecipes.blogspot.c...te-cake-2.html

Contains xanthan and cocoa.
Rice based.
VERY yummy!
This website will not open. I saw it briefly and the recipe looked like exactly what I'm looking for. Anyone happen to have this recipe? you'd no idea how much I'd appreciate it!!
#315 of 483 Old 05-15-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I use sweet potato flour because DS can't have white potato (it is probably healthier too, vitamin wise, but that's just a side benefit). I order mine from Barry's Farm online. Only place I've ever found it. It makes the best GF gravy of all the starches/flours I've tried.
DD reacted to potato on her patch test, does that mean I have to avoid sweet potato? We don't eat potatoes ever really, but I'd be sad to give up sweet potatoes

CPST & mom

#316 of 483 Old 05-15-2009, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick&jonmom View Post
This website will not open. I saw it briefly and the recipe looked like exactly what I'm looking for. Anyone happen to have this recipe? you'd no idea how much I'd appreciate it!!
It worked for me... maybe it was just down yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
DD reacted to potato on her patch test, does that mean I have to avoid sweet potato? We don't eat potatoes ever really, but I'd be sad to give up sweet potatoes
Potatoes and sweet potatoes are not even in the same food family- they are completely different foods.

#317 of 483 Old 05-15-2009, 11:57 AM

Actually, they are not in the same family; sweet potatoes are in the morning glory family and regular potatoes are in the night shade family. So, even though your lo reacted to potatoes doesn't mean they will to sweet potatoes. Also, yams are in the yam family, so that's even another optoin for you.
#318 of 483 Old 05-15-2009, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Also, yams are in the yam family, so that's even another optoin for you.
Yams are also in the morning glory family. But unless you're shopping at an asian market, you're not going to find actual yams in the grocery store. What regular stores sell as "yams" are actually just varieties of sweet potatoes.

#319 of 483 Old 05-15-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Interesting - the link posted above didn't work for me either. But the link in the e-mail update I got worked!

Try this link? http://viveleveganrecipes.blogspot.c...te-cake-2.html

I actually make this cake more often then I want to admit - esp since we are egg free now to try to get back to baseline. It is very, very good! Let us know if it still doesn't work and I'll just pm you the recipe.

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09
#320 of 483 Old 05-15-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuansprincess View Post
Oh dang, it's chocolate . I can't do chocolate either (or more precisely, DS can't, and I'm going on 2.5 years of withdrawal now).

#321 of 483 Old 05-16-2009, 01:48 AM

Awesoome thank you ladies!!

CPST & mom

#322 of 483 Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 PM

Okay I'm sorta scared (nervous) to post anything here, but you guys asked for it!

Drop Biscuits

(tweaked recipe from the whole foods allergy cookbook)

1/2 c. tapioca flour
1 1/2 c. brown rice flour
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp honey
1/4 tsp sea salt
5 tbsp. slightly chilled coconut oil
3 tsp. Ener-G egg replacer mixed with 1/4 c. safe milk (we use half coconut milk/half water)
1/2 c. coconut milk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine dry indredients and then cut coconut oil in to the dry ingredients. (Cut in well) Add the egg replacer and cut in well. Then add the coconut milk. If it seems too dry add a few sprinklings of water or milk and cut in. I drop biscuits closely together (touching) in a pie pan (lightly greased). Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden on top. We like these with honey or hamburger gravy.

dairy, soy, gluten, egg free...

(If you don't like them, don't tell me)

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#323 of 483 Old 05-19-2009, 07:43 PM

This is my first foray into baking anything that my lo can eat. I took a basic cornbread recipe from one of my cookbooks and adapted it. This is wheat-free, dairy-free, egg-free, and corn-free. This was a huge hit, especially for my lo who rarely gets to eat anything fun. Dh and DD#1 loved it as well and they are used to eating "normal food". It was a touch crumbly, but not bad, imo. The idea for the millet in place of the corn meal I think came from someone on this thread, but I can't remember for sure. If you know who you are identify yourself so you get the proper credit I have only made this one time so I am sorry if it doesn't work for you

Beth

Corn-free cornbread

1 cup ground millet (I ground it in my blender to the consistency of corn meal)
1 cup flour (I used 1/2 brown rice and 1/2 quinoa flours)
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbl brown or granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup milk (I used hemp milk) plus 1/2 tsp "acid" (I used lemon juice, you could use vinegar)
1 Tbl ground flax seeds plus 3 Tbl water microwave for 30sec
2 Tbl fat (I used canola oil)

Heat oven to 350 and prepare a 8 or 9-inch square baking dish (I just coated with canola oil). Combine dry ingredients. Add in wet ingredients and combine. Put in prepared baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#324 of 483 Old 05-19-2009, 08:09 PM

Millet "corn" bread sounds like Kathy. I believe she has a recipe for one in her blog.

#325 of 483 Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Millet "corn" bread sounds like Kathy. I believe she has a recipe for one in her blog.
Ok, perhaps she is the one that mentioned it. I also wanted to add that I didn't use the full 2 Tbl of sugar. I don't like things too sweet and I already find the hemp milk to be sweet. I used probably between 4 and 5 tsp of sugar.

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#326 of 483 Old 05-20-2009, 08:47 AM

I used the English muffin recipe from www.buckwheatpete.com and last night I made half into the English muffins, and rolled out the other half way thinner and made tortillas with it. DS and DD2 were excited to get "soft tacos" last night. And the English muffins are a hit with either palm shortening and cinnamon-sugar (or vanilla-sugar) or peanut butter and honey for a school lunch.

#327 of 483 Old 05-20-2009, 02:44 PM

Here's the link about the gluten free lavash I made. It's great as a wrap, but also could be used for pizza dough and even soft tacos (if you make them round). Read the comments in the thread for variations, and also, read the comments on her blog.
#328 of 483 Old 05-21-2009, 08:24 PM

I put this on a thread in Nutrition about non-dairy ice cream. Copying here....

My antibiotics are reacting against each other and I have a horrible metallic taste in my mouth and eating actually makes it worse. So I can't really tell you about the "taste" of the ice cream, but since it's not that much different than my old recipe, I'm figuring it tastes good (it's better than anything else I had today). But the "mouth feel" was much better than my last one. This was like soft ice cream (probably didn't wait long enough; I could have put it in the freezer; and I will be putting the leftover in the freezer; maybe I could try it again when I'm done with the abx).

3 1/4 c. coconut milk (2 14 oz. cans)
1 pinch of salt
1/4 c. Knudsen Black Cherry Juice
4 tsp. corn-free vanilla extract
3/4 c. palm sugar
3 tsp. gelatin (I used Great Lakes Gelatin; made of pork)

In a small bowl, mix 1/4 c. coconut milk and gelatin until dissolved. Set aside.

In saucepan, combine 3 c. coconut milk, sugar, salt, cherry juice, and vanilla. Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved. Take off heat. Add gelatin-milk mixture. Stir until completely dissolved.

Chill.

Follow the directions for your ice cream maker.

I cut up bing cherries and mixed them in with mine (DS didn't want it in his). He only likes chocolate ice cream so he wasn't as thrilled as I was.

DD1 wouldn't try it and I need a "normal" guinea pig to try it for me. DH and DD2 are at Father's Night at preschool.

#329 of 483 Old 05-21-2009, 11:13 PM

I don't know if it counts as a "recipe", but this was my desperate attempt to get veggies into my son:

CONTAINS EGG (no idea how it would work with flax egg)

Veggie & Bean Fritter

1/2c grated potato
1/4c squished beans (I just took them out of a can and squished them with a fork)
1/4c grated other veggies - I have used carrot and onion, I suspect most anything would work though
1 egg (I have huge eggs, so you might need to adjust quantities)
1/4c GF flour (you could probably adjust this some depending how "wet" your veggies are)
salt and any other spices/herbs you think would tastegoi

Dump in a frying pan with some safe oil (I used ghee, yum!) and smooth it out (the "right" texture is easy to spread out, but not runny enough to flatten out itself). I cut it up into triangles to eat (a shape my DS likes).

Good by itself or dipped in stuff!

#330 of 483 Old 05-23-2009, 10:38 PM

this makes a pizza dough, or focaccia like bread (if you add 2 eggs it becomes more tender.)

whole grain - gum free pizza dough/bread recipe
I've felt stuck this past year because we can't have xanthan gum or guar gum. I have found recently that my pizza dough recipe works pretty well in a deep dish pan. I've used it as a pizza and foccacia - what a delight to have bread again. Today I am trying it as a hamburger roll. (I will cut circles out of it.)

deep dish pizza dough (adding 4 tsp xanthan or guar gum allows it to be spreadable as a regular dough)

2 tbl active dry yeast
2/3 cup whole grain buckwheat groats (or your preference)
2/3 cup whole grain oat groats (or your preference)
(rice, millet would also work well. I often substitute some millet from one of my grains.)
1 cup potato/tapioca flour
2 tsp gelatin (I've not used it recently since I've run out - no problems)
1 tsp sugar or honey
1 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup milk (any that is possible)
1/4 cup olive oil (or other)
2 tsp vinegar

I use a food processor, but I expect a blender should work (a little worried about thickness). I blend the whole grains, milk and vinegar until grains are mostly broken down, around 5 minutes. Let sit at least 4 hours. I prefer overnight, plus.
When done sitting, blend again for a few minutes.
Add the rest.

preheat 425*
(last time I made this, it didn't rise well. I am experimenting by letting it rise and then gently pouring it into my pan. fingers crossed.)
pour into hot pan heavily coated with oil (i use palm oil.)

Bake until done
sorry I'm not sure about how long 20-30 minutes??

The first time I used the pan, the crust came out yummy crunchy greasy, like deep pan pizza. The second time, I used the same amount of oil, but it came out hard and crunchy like regular pizza. I'm not sure what I did differently.

It was great made into a foccacia and dipped into a olive oil, garlic, nut yeast, salt, pepper blend.''

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page