Allergen-free recipes and meal ideas! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 483 Old 07-05-2009, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sweet potato salad

No measurements again...
Boil white sweet potatoes, then cut into cubes. We peeled them and cut into half inch rounds to boil.

Once cool, mix with mayo, and add crumbled bacon and chopped green onions. Season with curry powder, mixing well.

It might help to mix the curry into the mayo, but I sprinkled it finely after everything was mixed to control how much.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#362 of 483 Old 07-05-2009, 04:23 PM

"Greek" pasta salad

Dressing:
1/2 c EVOO
1/2 c lemon juice
1/2 c white wine vinegar
1 T oregano
1 t basil
1 t marjoram
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 t salt
1/2 t black pepper

Mix all together and let sit for about 1/2 hour.

1 lb rice fusilli, cooked but not entirely cooled
1 red pepper, diced
1 can sliced black olives
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tomato, diced

Pour dressing over pasta and mix in vegetables and parsley. Chill and serve.

"Author's" note: I think it would be better with halved grape or cherry tomatoes and possibly some diced red onion. Everyone liked it anyway.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#363 of 483 Old 07-05-2009, 05:00 PM

I'm anxiously awaiting the recipe for the pinenut ricotta that kathy keeps talking about is it her recipe or did she find it? could someone PLEASE link me to it?!! thanks! excited about the idea of some kind of lasagna for hubby (his old favorite meal-when life was normal
#364 of 483 Old 07-05-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
I'm anxiously awaiting the recipe for the pinenut ricotta that kathy keeps talking about is it her recipe or did she find it? could someone PLEASE link me to it?!! thanks! excited about the idea of some kind of lasagna for hubby (his old favorite meal-when life was normal
I think this is the one?
http://www.bookofyum.com/blog/soy-fr...sagna-366.html

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#365 of 483 Old 07-05-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
That's the one and we have crunchy mama to thank for addicting everyone to pine nuts.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#366 of 483 Old 07-06-2009, 02:12 AM

I am looking for a millet/flax bread recipe that is yeast free. ANyone heard of it?
Thanks,
#367 of 483 Old 07-07-2009, 04:17 PM

There is a recipe on kathysrecipebox.com for millet muffins that I've made several times - they are yeast free. I've made the recipe in a pan too, but make sure you bake it quite a bit longer if you make it that way instead of in muffin tins. My whole family loves them, even the pick pants baby and picky pants dh.

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#368 of 483 Old 07-07-2009, 05:50 PM

What is

Millet meal?
Maple cream?

I want to try the millet muffins. We're corn free now so a corn muffin sub would be great.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#369 of 483 Old 07-07-2009, 06:02 PM

i used to make this all the time and came across it again--it's normally from zonya's health bites here: http://www.zonya.com/pdf/recipes/Chi...nbread_Pie.pdf

I did subs and it worked great a great quick dinner to throw together..it's pretty forgiving--take out the corn and tomatoes and add other veggies--

Chili millet cornbread pie
Preheat oven to 375°.
2 cans (15 oz each) chili beans (i used a red and a kidney--sometimes I do red and black)
1 can (16 oz) corn, no salt added (I used 2 c forzen organic corn)
1/2 med onion, chopped (opt)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (opt)
1 tsp Zippy Zonya Mexi Mix (I guessed-put 1/2 tsp chili powder and 1/2 tsp cayenne) I'll probably put 3/4 chili powder and 1/4 cayenne next time it was a tad hot)
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes with chilies (i use fresh tomatoes chopped and 1/2 a jalapeno)
1/2 tsp salt*

1 cup Millet (just grind it fresh in my blentec)
1 cup flour(1/2 sorghum ½ br rice flour)
1 T baking powder
1 T sugar (agave or honey or another)
1/2 tsp salt*
1 cup rice milk
2 T oil (coconut, palm oil, Unrefined canola oil)
Combine in an 9" x 13" baking dish.
Combine in a medium bowl using a fork to be sure baking powder is evenly distributed.
Add to dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
Spoon 9 even spoonfuls of the batter in a 3 x 3 pattern onto the bean mixture.
Place in oven to bake. Set timer for 30 minutes.!

we love to serve this with lots of raw veggies- carrots, brocolli, and celery (though DD can't have carrots or brocolli
#370 of 483 Old 07-07-2009, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
What is

Millet meal?
Maple cream?

I want to try the millet muffins. We're corn free now so a corn muffin sub would be great.
Maple cream is another 100% pure maple syrup product. It's probably just heated to a different temperature. It's only a couple Tbs. in the recipe, so you can probably just sub maple syrup.

I can't remember where I got the millet meal. I only have millet flour at the moment to look at the label. Bob's Red Mill? It's just a coarser grind, like cornmeal.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#371 of 483 Old 07-07-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
What is

Millet meal?
Maple cream?
In the recipe, kathy said she was out of millet flour so used millet meal for some of it. I just use millet flour for all of the millet. And I just use maple syrup or honey for the maple cream. And I've used rice flours for the sorghum sometimes too. They always turn out great! The only time they didn't was when I put them in a big pan but didn't increase the baking time, then they were doughy in the middle.

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#372 of 483 Old 07-08-2009, 10:54 AM

I needed mayo for tuna pasta salad, coleslaw, potato salad, dressing, dips, etc. We were using duck eggs whenever we could find them (at the farmers' market or the co-op, not just out in the wild), but they were too few and far between. So, I started googling and came upon this recipe:

Quote:
1/2 T. flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp sugar
1/4 C cooled water
3/4 C boiling water
2 T lemon juice
1 T vinegar
1/2 C oil
salt & pepper to taste

Mix flour, salt, mustard, sugar & 1/4 C cooled water into a paste. Add boiling water and cook until mixture is "clear". Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm. Add lemon juice, vinegar & oil, beating constantly. Salt & pepper to taste.
I don't know if it was just me or what, but I ended up needing almost a full cup of oil. I use an immersion blender (hand-held) so I know it was emulsifying correctly. I also thought it was too sweet (I used honey instead of sugar) but DH said it was fine. I also used water kefir in place of vinegar since I don't like vinegar in my mayo. I also increased the amount of mustard powder to 1/2 tsp.

Next time I think I'm going to up it to 1T flour (I used rice, but I may try fresh ground buckwheat instead next time) and maybe just 1/2 tsp of honey.

It served its purpose for the meal it was intended, but it could use some tweaking. I posted it here as a jumping off point for everyone. Perhaps inspiration will strike and someone can post back a fabulously modified version.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#373 of 483 Old 07-08-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post
It served its purpose for the meal it was intended, but it could use some tweaking. I posted it here as a jumping off point for everyone. Perhaps inspiration will strike and someone can post back a fabulously modified version.
Thank you! I've been wanting chicken salad for months! Now I've got to bake some bread to go with it! I think I'll use agave instead of honey, and probably buckwheat flour, and lime instead of lemon, just in case DD2 wants to try it. When you say the mixture is "clear", do you just mean everything is dissolved? Because with mustard and buckwheat, I don't think it's going to be clear...

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#374 of 483 Old 07-08-2009, 11:10 AM

yeah, that's why I wrote "clear". i have no idea what the original recipe meant. I just sort of went with it. almost like making gravy, i let it thicken a bit. i think the idea is to cook the flour so you don't have a raw flour sauce. (i found the recipe on a random dietitians' website's FAQ. let's see if i can find the page... here it is!)

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#375 of 483 Old 07-10-2009, 04:07 PM

Here is my pine nut cookie recipe.

#376 of 483 Old 07-10-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Here is my pine nut cookie recipe.
Do you use a kitchen scale?

#377 of 483 Old 07-11-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Do you use a kitchen scale?
No. I was going by the oz. on the side of the packages I was using.
I don't have EVERY gadget, you know!

#378 of 483 Old 07-11-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
No. I was going by the oz. on the side of the packages I was using.
I don't have EVERY gadget, you know!
Oh thank goodness. I was thinking to myself "Oh dear lord, she's going to start weighing her flours next." I've seen a bunch of blogs that do that and I'm left going.... Uhhh... No scale.

#379 of 483 Old 07-11-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Oh thank goodness. I was thinking to myself "Oh dear lord, she's going to start weighing her flours next." I've seen a bunch of blogs that do that and I'm left going.... Uhhh... No scale.
My half-brother got a scale when he started baking. I use a Pyrex measuring cup. And my grandmother's wooden spoons. Though I did just get a Cuisinart Nut/Spice Grinder and it's really cool. It's like a bigger version of DH's coffeegrinder (which I used to steal to make confectioners sugar). The sweet potato starch I got was lumpy so I ran it through there to get it finer and it did a really good job. I'm making marshmallows for DD2 now (made the beet sugar version a couple days ago for DS; now it's time for the DD2 version).

#380 of 483 Old 07-11-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
My half-brother got a scale when he started baking. I use a Pyrex measuring cup. And my grandmother's wooden spoons. Though I did just get a Cuisinart Nut/Spice Grinder and it's really cool. It's like a bigger version of DH's coffeegrinder (which I used to steal to make confectioners sugar). The sweet potato starch I got was lumpy so I ran it through there to get it finer and it did a really good job. I'm making marshmallows for DD2 now (made the beet sugar version a couple days ago for DS; now it's time for the DD2 version).
mmmmmm

Do you have a link for the nut grinder. Do you think it would work on small grains? Millet, etc?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#381 of 483 Old 07-11-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
mmmmmm

Do you have a link for the nut grinder. Do you think it would work on small grains? Millet, etc?
Here is the one I got, at Macys. It says "Grinding Suggestions": black peppercorns, nutmeg, whole cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, anise or fennel seeds, flax or sesame seeds, nuts (for chopped nuts), nuts (for nut flour). I have some whole millet.... want me to see if it works?

#382 of 483 Old 07-11-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Here is the one I got, at Macys. It says "Grinding Suggestions": black peppercorns, nutmeg, whole cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, anise or fennel seeds, flax or sesame seeds, nuts (for chopped nuts), nuts (for nut flour). I have some whole millet.... want me to see if it works?
Man, if it can do peppercorns it should be able to do millet. Give it a whirl!!!

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#383 of 483 Old 07-12-2009, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Very cool. Have you noticed if it heats things up like a coffee grinder does?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#384 of 483 Old 07-13-2009, 11:21 AM

looking for dairy free, egg free, nut free recipe for oatmeal bars.
tried one already but came out unformed

thanks!
#385 of 483 Old 07-15-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuasmom16 View Post
looking for dairy free, egg free, nut free recipe for oatmeal bars.
tried one already but came out unformed

thanks!
This might work as bars. The cookies hold up. 12 min. for soft chewy cookies, longer for crispy.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Mix Well:

¾ c. palm shortening
1 ½ c. sucanat or brown sugar
2 flax eggs (6T water, 2T flax seeds)
¼ c. water
1 Tsp. vanilla

Mix Separately:
3 c. oats
1 c. dried cranberries
3/4 c. rice flour
¼ c. tapioca flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp xanthan gum

With Wooden spoon combine wet and dry ingredients.
Bake at 350 for 12 – 15 min

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#386 of 483 Old 07-15-2009, 03:40 PM

Is this going to keep falling off the page because it's not a sticky anymore? How do we get it back to being a sticky.

#387 of 483 Old 07-16-2009, 11:45 AM

thanks Taryn, looks delish! I will give it a whirl. probably bake for twice as long as bars you think?
#388 of 483 Old 07-16-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Man, if it can do peppercorns it should be able to do millet. Give it a whirl!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Very cool. Have you noticed if it heats things up like a coffee grinder does?
It didn't heat things up as far as I can tell. It made walnut flour (like almond flour -- oops, I ground for too long, since I just wanted chopped nuts). And the millet flour was perfect.

#389 of 483 Old 07-16-2009, 12:20 PM

The grinder looks nice. I might feel more patient about not having a blendtec with something like that.
Did you buy it at the regular store?

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#390 of 483 Old 07-16-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
The grinder looks nice. I might feel more patient about not having a blendtec with something like that.
Did you buy it at the regular store?
I got it at Macys. It was $40 I think, on sale. I had sold some of my gold jewelry that I had (rings from old boyfriends and single earrings I couldn't find the match for) and got duplicates of some of my small appliances so I didn't have to move them back and forth every summer. But the grinder was a new one. I really like it. I got tapioca starch and sweet potato starch at the Asian Market last time and it's not as fine as the other stuff I was getting. So I whirl it before I use it so I don't have little clumps.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page