Mothering Forum banner

Allergen-free recipes and meal ideas!

45K views 482 replies 70 participants last post by  WuWei 
#1 ·
To all allergy-suffering moms and T/ED refugees- I think it would be great to have a running thread with recipes and meal ideas that we could share with each other. I'm constantly wondering what to eat and sometimes have trouble trying to put together 3 allergen-free meals a day.

So maybe everyone can post their favorite meal ideas with the group. It would be a good idea to bold ingredients that are potential allergens (of course, everyone's allergen list is different, so just make sure to read carefully before using someone else's recipe!!)

I hope Astromom doesn't mind me quoting her
, but I thought her recent post was great and now I have a new alternative to store-bought tortillas!!

Quote:
I also work full-time. It is so overwhelming to be making all this stuff from scratch but I'm finally getting into the rhythm of it. On the weekend I buy a roaster chicken, 3 lbs of ground lamb, 3 lbs of ground chicken. (I used to do turkey too but I'm sick of turkey.) Then I bake the chicken, save the meat, boil the bones and make a broth overnight. Then I make patties out of the meat and dip them in quinoa flour (which is gluten/wheat free) with some sea salt and cook those in a skillet with some oil (I use safflower oil or grapeseed oil.) I put the roast chicken pieces in the fridge and eat them over the next couple days. I put the patties in the freezer and eat them over the rest of the week. It takes several hours but then I'm done with the main dishes for the rest of the week.

For my bread fix, I make tortillas out of buckwheat. I take buckwheat flour (which is gluten/wheat free), baking powder, a little bit of oil, and enough warm water to make it a good slightly sticky consistency. Squash them flat (onto a plate of buckwheat flour to keep them from sticking) and then cook on a skillet (no oil needed) for like 30 seconds per side.

See less See more
#328 ·
I put this on a thread in Nutrition about non-dairy ice cream. Copying here....

My antibiotics are reacting against each other and I have a horrible metallic taste in my mouth and eating actually makes it worse. So I can't really tell you about the "taste" of the ice cream, but since it's not that much different than my old recipe, I'm figuring it tastes good (it's better than anything else I had today). But the "mouth feel" was much better than my last one. This was like soft ice cream (probably didn't wait long enough; I could have put it in the freezer; and I will be putting the leftover in the freezer; maybe I could try it again when I'm done with the abx).

3 1/4 c. coconut milk (2 14 oz. cans)
1 pinch of salt
1/4 c. Knudsen Black Cherry Juice
4 tsp. corn-free vanilla extract
3/4 c. palm sugar
3 tsp. gelatin (I used Great Lakes Gelatin; made of pork)

In a small bowl, mix 1/4 c. coconut milk and gelatin until dissolved. Set aside.

In saucepan, combine 3 c. coconut milk, sugar, salt, cherry juice, and vanilla. Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved. Take off heat. Add gelatin-milk mixture. Stir until completely dissolved.

Chill.

Follow the directions for your ice cream maker.

I cut up bing cherries and mixed them in with mine (DS didn't want it in his). He only likes chocolate ice cream so he wasn't as thrilled as I was.

DD1 wouldn't try it and I need a "normal" guinea pig to try it for me. DH and DD2 are at Father's Night at preschool.

#329 ·
I don't know if it counts as a "recipe", but this was my desperate attempt to get veggies into my son:

CONTAINS EGG (no idea how it would work with flax egg)

Veggie & Bean Fritter

1/2c grated potato
1/4c squished beans (I just took them out of a can and squished them with a fork)
1/4c grated other veggies - I have used carrot and onion, I suspect most anything would work though
1 egg (I have huge eggs, so you might need to adjust quantities)
1/4c GF flour (you could probably adjust this some depending how "wet" your veggies are)
salt and any other spices/herbs you think would tastegoi

Dump in a frying pan with some safe oil (I used ghee, yum!) and smooth it out (the "right" texture is easy to spread out, but not runny enough to flatten out itself). I cut it up into triangles to eat (a shape my DS likes).

Good by itself or dipped in stuff!

#330 ·
this makes a pizza dough, or focaccia like bread (if you add 2 eggs it becomes more tender.)

whole grain - gum free pizza dough/bread recipe
I've felt stuck this past year because we can't have xanthan gum or guar gum. I have found recently that my pizza dough recipe works pretty well in a deep dish pan. I've used it as a pizza and foccacia - what a delight to have bread again. Today I am trying it as a hamburger roll. (I will cut circles out of it.)

deep dish pizza dough (adding 4 tsp xanthan or guar gum allows it to be spreadable as a regular dough)

2 tbl active dry yeast
2/3 cup whole grain buckwheat groats (or your preference)
2/3 cup whole grain oat groats (or your preference)
(rice, millet would also work well. I often substitute some millet from one of my grains.)
1 cup potato/tapioca flour
2 tsp gelatin (I've not used it recently since I've run out - no problems)
1 tsp sugar or honey
1 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup milk (any that is possible)
1/4 cup olive oil (or other)
2 tsp vinegar

I use a food processor, but I expect a blender should work (a little worried about thickness). I blend the whole grains, milk and vinegar until grains are mostly broken down, around 5 minutes. Let sit at least 4 hours. I prefer overnight, plus.
When done sitting, blend again for a few minutes.
Add the rest.

preheat 425*
(last time I made this, it didn't rise well. I am experimenting by letting it rise and then gently pouring it into my pan. fingers crossed.)
pour into hot pan heavily coated with oil (i use palm oil.)

Bake until done
sorry I'm not sure about how long 20-30 minutes??

The first time I used the pan, the crust came out yummy crunchy greasy, like deep pan pizza. The second time, I used the same amount of oil, but it came out hard and crunchy like regular pizza. I'm not sure what I did differently.

It was great made into a foccacia and dipped into a olive oil, garlic, nut yeast, salt, pepper blend.''

#331 ·
I made Gluten Free Goddess' English muffins last night (this is a recipe she put up about a month ago), and they were DELICIOUS. DH and DD horked them, and they're not bread deprived like DS and I are! Mine puffed up to at least twice the height of regular English muffins, very light and fluffy. She uses egg replacer, I used real eggs, not sure how flax egg would do). But, GFCFSF, and sooo good!

#332 ·
This was pretty good for just being pears, rice flour and syrup, and oil

TED friendly Pear Crisp

Layer peeled, thinly sliced pear in small oven proof dish. Sprinkle with rice flour, drizzle with brown rice syrup. Repeat. Make a topping out of about 1/4 cup rice flour, spoon of rice syrup, and a little oil. Stir to make crumbs. Spread on top. Bake 350 about half an hour until bubbly. (this made just enough for me, I used one pear)

#333 ·
Contains eggs and tomatoes. My version also contains peas.

I altered this recipe.

Ingredients

* 6 slices bacon
* 2 eggs
* 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
* 2 garlic cloves
* 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato
* salt and pepper
* 6 ounces angel hair pasta (rice pasta)
* 1 1/2 cup frozen peas

Boil water and cook pasta per package instructions. Add frozen peas to cook for the last 5 or so minutes.

While pasta cooks, brown bacon in a skillet for a few minutes, then add garlic. While it cooks, chop sundried tomatoes (roughly same size chop as the bacon; I chop my bacon while it's frozen for little pieces). Add sundried tomatoes to the pan and cook for another minute or so.

In a small bowl, beat eggs, vinegar and salt and pepper.

Drain pasta/peas and put in large bowl. Pour eggs mixture into bacon mixture in skillet and stir. Pour that into the pasta and mix well until the hot pasta cooks the egg. Make sure to incorporate all the peas and bacon.

#334 ·
From last week's chat thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Here's what I'm doing... I'm not sure how it'll turn out yet though.

Rice Noodles with Creamy Garlic Mushroom sauce

8oz phad thai style rice sticks, cooked

sauce:
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz mushrooms, chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil

Saute together then add:
1 tablespoon shortening (I'm still using Crisco

1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
1 teaspoon basil
2 cups rice milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cook until thickened then pour over noodles and toss.

That's the intention right now anyway. Not sure how it'll turn out, but here's hoping.

ETA: Okay, so I increased the flour (I already changed it in the recipe) and it tastes good, but not enough garlic, imo. Next time I'll probably use 6 cloves.
And yes, I'll put it in the recipe sticky.
Chances are it doesn't *need* the nutritional yeast, but I find that it makes things more "creamy".
I'm making something based off this tonight. Will try to update later.

#336 ·
Sweet rice is also known as glutinous rice and it cooks a little bit differently. I find that it has more of a wheat flour texture than any of the other alternative flours I've tried when used for thickening. I'm not sure what the texture would be like with another rice flour or if the other flours would absorb as much moisture. I get it for 79cents a pound at my Asian market.

So, you probably could use another rice flour, but I haven't tested it yet, is the short answer.
Next time I make it, I'll try a different flour, now that they're in the house (finally got brought in from the garage a couple of days ago from when we moved in December
).

#337 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Sweet rice is also known as glutinous rice and it cooks a little bit differently. I find that it has more of a wheat flour texture than any of the other alternative flours I've tried when used for thickening. I'm not sure what the texture would be like with another rice flour or if the other flours would absorb as much moisture. I get it for 79cents a pound at my Asian market.

So, you probably could use another rice flour, but I haven't tested it yet, is the short answer.
Next time I make it, I'll try a different flour, now that they're in the house (finally got brought in from the garage a couple of days ago from when we moved in December
).

Ahhh, good to know! I'll make sure and add that to my Amazon order this week.
thanks

#339 ·
A simple recipe for GF bread

The quantities aren't exact, and I'm certain the flours are flexible. Mine were all fresh milled, so store-bought milled is likely to change the quantities of needed fluids.

A palm of yeast
A teaspoon of sea salt
The wooden spoon dipped in raw honey
Three glugs of olive oil
About a cup and a half of warmish water
A heaping cup of buckwheat-teff-rice flour
A heaping cup of sorghum flour
Then perhaps another 1/2 cup of sorghum flour

Mix it all together and it will be very smooth and wet (yes, it is GF type dough- not thick and kneadable like wheat dough). Let set in a warm place for awhile. Then pour into a 10 inch cast iron skillet greased with OO. Cover with another skillet and set on the stovetop over a heat diffuser (I'm sure you could use an oven too). I flipped it over when I thought it might be halfway done.

It came out beautifully with only a few crumbs to show the lack of gluten.

Enjoy!

#340 ·
Free from all common allergens except garlic:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...ecipe&dbid=140

15-Minute Sautéed Chicken Breasts with Mustard, Tarragon

Try this quick and easy chicken dish that combines the great tastes of Dijon mustard and tarragon. Fresh herbs are a great way to enhance the taste of your meals and add extra nutrition as well. Enjoy!
15-Minute Sautéed Chicken Breasts with Mustard, Tarragon Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

* 1 medium onion cut in half and sliced medium thick
* 5 medium cloves garlic, pressed
* 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
* 3 TBS Dijon mustard (I use Annie's honey mustard - safe)
* 1 TBS chicken broth + ½ cup
* 2 tsp honey
* 1 TBS chopped fresh tarragon (I used dried)
* 2 TBS chopped fresh parsley (I skipped this)
* salt and white pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Slice onion and press garlic and let sit for 5-10 minutes to bring out their hidden health benefits.
2. Heat 1 TBS broth in a 10-12 inch stainless steel skillet. Healthy Saute onion in broth over medium heat for 2 minutes.
3. While onions are sautéing, cut chicken into pieces. Add chicken pieces and continue to sauté for another 3 minutes, stirring frequently to seal chicken on all sides. Add garlic and continue to sauté for another minute.
4. Add mustard, ½ cup broth, and honey. Mix thoroughly and simmer uncovered for about 7-8 minutes on medium high heat stirring occasionally to cook chicken evenly. This will also reduce sauce.
5. While chicken is cooking chop herbs and add at end with salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 4 Serving Suggestion: Serve with
* Mediterranean Swiss Chard

Healthy Cooking Tips:

The key to success with this recipe is the timing. You want to reduce the sauce to a consistency of cream. Too thin and the flavor is weak. Too thick and there isn't enough sauce. By cutting the chicken into 6 pieces you should be able to reduce the sauce perfectly without overcooking the chicken. If you choose to cut the chicken into bigger pieces, increase the amount of sauce ingredients to give the chicken time to cook longer without the sauce drying out.

#341 ·
I printed this one out from the rice dream web site long ago and have used it many, many times. not sure if it would count as a gravy, but we love it. I'm glad I found it on this site because I could no longer find it on rice dream's site. It comes out much tastier when I use chix broth instead of water. I usually use the imagine brand (I think) in a carton, but would like to try my bone broth. I used to always screw this up and dump all ingredients in the pan - then I wrote on the top a reminder to read the recipe first, then I would remember to make the roux - now I cook so much w/the babies allergies I know how to make a nice sauce, don't even grab the recipe any more:

There are other recipes posted on this link too:

http://www.vegsource.com/sauces.htm

RICE DREAM CREAM SAUCE

2 Tbsp. canola oil
5 Tbsp. unbleached flour (I use rice flour - white or brown)
1 cup water or vegetable stock
1 cup Original Rice Dream
½ tsp. sea salt
Pinch white pepper

In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add flour and gently stir for a few minutes. Bring water or stock to a boil and slowly pour into flour/oil mixture; whisk vigorously. Blend in Rice Dream, salt and pepper. Reduce flame to low or place a heat diffuser under the pan.. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste. Sauce will thicken as it cools and is best served immediately. Yield: 2 ½ cups.

Variations: For Indian cuisine, add 1 tsp. curry powder; for an Italian flair, add ¼ tsp. each of powdered garlic, dried basil, and oregano.

~Tracy

#342 ·
3/4 cup
Ingredients

* 4 kiwi fruits
* 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 1/4 cup white wine vinegar (I used balsamic)
* 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (I used Annie's honey mustard)
* 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)

Directions

1.Mix all ingredients in a blender till smooth.
2.Store in refrigerator.
3.This would be good over a spinach salad with berries, used in making chicken salad, as a sauce for fish, etc.

My friend Terri has about 200 cook books, maybe more. I borrowed a small vegan cookbook - so many wonderful recipes I can use - I want to post more when I have the time. I made this dressing, although I just pulled this one off the web, not sure if it is exactly like the one in the book, but boy, it was good. There were two more I want to try, including one made with mangoes. I've been unable to find a store bought salad dressing that is free from soy, dairy, corn tomatoes.

~Tracy

#343 ·
Haupia

Ingredients:
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch (I'm going to use tapioca starch)
1-1/2 cups coconut milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside. Place the coconut milk and vanilla in a medium saucepan
and cook over low heat for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Whisk the dry ingredients into the coconut milk and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently until the mixture thickens.
Pour the pudding into an 8-inch square pan and refrigerate for about 2 hours, until the pudding is firm. Cut into squares and serve as a dessert for any tropical meal.

Servings: 6 - 8

Again, I found this on the web after searching for it because there is a recipe for this in my friend's vegan cook book. I haven't tried it yet. If you do, PM me!

~Tracy

#344 ·
This is the marshmallow recipe that I made for DD2 last weekend (http://top8free.com/2007/12/13/marshmallows-corn-free/). I used tapioca starch instead of potato starch, for dredging. And I didn't put in the salt because it doesn't say where to put it in.

I made it on Saturday without cane sugar. I used beet sugar.

To make a replacement for corn syrup/Golden Syrup:

3/4 c. water
2 c. beet sugar
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar

Bring to a boil. Simmer until 235F (soft ball stage). It says it makes about 2 c. but I don't think so. I took out the 2/3 c. for the marshmallow batch and it looked like there was only about 1/2 cup left. Store at room temp.

I added a dash of salt when it was at the beating stage at the end (though maybe it was supposed to be at the melting stage), and I added 1/4 tsp. corn-free vanilla near the end.

Oh, and I use the wire whip attachment, not the flat beater, and it only takes 3-5 minutes of beating at high speed, not 10.

They were really good.

One of these days I'm going to make caramel again out of the coconut milk yogurt (when I get another batch of it made!) and then you can make s'mores out of granny smith apple slices, toasted marshmallow, and caramel. My DS loved the banana, peanut butter, toasted marshmallow s'more this weekend though.

It's nice to have a treat once in a while. And everyone loved licking out the bowl too!

#345 ·
Easy oatmeal cookies. Soft and chewy and yummy! I've included my version here (a few corn-free, lower-fat tweaks), but you can see her version with this link.

http://www.wellsphere.com/allergies-...cookies/364976

375 deg. oven

Mix the following well
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup milk (I used rice milk)
2 tsp. vanilla

Add
4 cups oatmeal (I used Bob's Redmill certified GF)
1 3/4 cups flour (I used white rice flour)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. guar gum
3/4 tsp. salt

Add Choco chips if you want. I did and they were GOOD!

Drop by 1 inch balls on an ungreased baking sheet. Flatten the balls and bake 8-10 min. and then remove immediately to a wire rack.

#347 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Easy oatmeal cookies. Soft and chewy and yummy! I've included my version here (a few corn-free, lower-fat tweaks), but you can see her version with this link.

http://www.wellsphere.com/allergies-...cookies/364976

375 deg. oven

Mix the following well
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup milk (I used rice milk)
2 tsp. vanilla

Add
4 cups oatmeal (I used Bob's Redmill certified GF)
1 3/4 cups flour (I used white rice flour)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. guar gum
3/4 tsp. salt

Add Choco chips if you want. I did and they were GOOD!

Drop by 1 inch balls on an ungreased baking sheet. Flatten the balls and bake 8-10 min. and then remove immediately to a wire rack.
Omg! Thank You Sooooo much!! I think I love you!
These were just what the dr. ordered
I made them last night
: I halved the recipe and screwed it up in my exhausted delirium and they still ROCKED!
:

#348 ·
here's a GF/CF/EF recipe. It's quite tasty. My family really likes it:

Whisk together:

1 cup rice flour
1/3 cup coconut flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthum gum

In separate bowl eat until lightened in texture:

3 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp other baking oil (I use safflower)
<1/3 cup sucanat
<1/3 cup agave (I'm doing about 1/6th)

Beat in flour mixture until consistency of brown sugar. Then beat in:

2 eggs OR
6 tbsp water heated 30 sec. in microwave PLUS 2 tbsp ground flax (let sit for about a min)

Fold in 2 mushed bananas.

Bake 40-50 min. for a bread. I would guess muffins would be about 20-25.

#349 ·
German Potato Salad, in memory of my ancient neighbor- a mother of 11 kids

Bake 8 potatoes and let them cool.
Chop and fry a 1/2lb of bacon. Drain it and set aside bacon.
Dice a couple of onions, a bulb of garlic and a bunch of celery.
Put veggies in the grease and add 3 t salt and 3 T flour.
Stir together and slow cook until veggies are done.
Cube potatoes and put in a big pot. Add bacon. Top with veggies.
Mix 2/3 c vinegar and 2/3 c honey and 1 1/3 cup water.
Pour over potato salad and simmer on low for a long time.
Enjoy! (It tastes great cold too.)

P.S. the recipe calls for black pepper added at the end.

#351 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
German Potato Salad, in memory of my ancient neighbor- a mother of 11 kids

Bake 8 potatoes and let them cool.
Chop and fry a 1/2lb of bacon. Drain it and set aside bacon.
Dice a couple of onions, a bulb of garlic and a bunch of celery.
Put veggies in the grease and add 3 t salt and 3 T flour.
Stir together and slow cook until veggies are done.
Cube potatoes and put in a big pot. Add bacon. Top with veggies.
Mix 2/3 c vinegar and 2/3 c honey and 1 1/3 cup water.
Pour over potato salad and simmer on low for a long time.
Enjoy! (It tastes great cold too.)

P.S. the recipe calls for black pepper added at the end.
this is just the sort of thing my hubby would LOVE love--what kind of vinegar did you use? THANKS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.