Forum Jump: 

#421 of 483 Old 08-27-2009, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Chickpea Fritters

There's sure to be a name for these, but I don't know what it is. Went to a family wedding a month ago, and one of the "safe" appetizers was "chickpea fritters". They were round, deep-fried, the size of a donut hole. And they were served hot, on top of a schmear of pureed chickpeas (or other bean) with some kind of spice in them.

So I asked a couple people and looked at a bunch of recipes. It sounds like there's a lot of ways to make them. And it's technique, not the recipe, that matters (I don't know if I have the technique down yet).

So last night I made zucchini fritters (the original one was carrot and DS can't have carrots).

1 c. shredded zucchini
1 c. chickpea flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
3 grinds of black pepper (see how well I measure when I'm trying something the first time?)
1/4 tsp. corn-free baking powdr
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 medium-hot yellow pepper, finely diced

Mix. Add enough water so it comes together (I was told it was supposed to be like pancake batter, so I probably had too much water in it last night). Heat about 1" of oil (I used canola). Deep fry a few minutes on each side, until browned.

DS loved them. DD2 didn't like it. DD1 wouldn't try it. DH and I liked them.

Tonight I chopped cauliflower really small (pea sized). I added about 1/2 cup of water (I measured it tonight) and didn't use the medium hot pepper or the chili powder. But I added a little finely diced red onion. This time the batter was thicker and I actually made it into rounds before frying. I liked them better than the zucchini ones, but DS didn't like them as well.

I used a can of cannelini beans, and pureed them in the food processor with 1 Tbs. olive oil. And 2-3 tsp. of curry powder. And I dipped my fritters in that.

I'm figuring you can probably use any veggie in it. At the wedding, they had carrot fritters and potato fritters.

It's Indian (India, not Native American). In case anybody can find a real recipe for it.
Kathy! i just want to thank you--I made this tonight and it was AWESOME! never had anything like it! -man was my hubby just waiting to head out to costco to get a rotisierri chicken (I told him he could if dinner was bad)--he wants me to make this OFTEN!!1
a neighbor gave me LOTS of zuchinni and so I thought I'd try it--I did what you named second--(no chili powder and red onion instead of the yellow pepper (what kind of pepper were you saying to use anyways to try for next time?) --I doubled the recipe--YUM!! cooked in coconut oil and then dipped in some plain coconut yogurt--MMM! thanks again--this isn't on your blog yet right? I need to comment there!
#422 of 483 Old 08-28-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
Kathy! i just want to thank you--I made this tonight and it was AWESOME! never had anything like it! -man was my hubby just waiting to head out to costco to get a rotisierri chicken (I told him he could if dinner was bad)--he wants me to make this OFTEN!!1
a neighbor gave me LOTS of zuchinni and so I thought I'd try it--I did what you named second--(no chili powder and red onion instead of the yellow pepper (what kind of pepper were you saying to use anyways to try for next time?) --I doubled the recipe--YUM!! cooked in coconut oil and then dipped in some plain coconut yogurt--MMM! thanks again--this isn't on your blog yet right? I need to comment there!
It's on my blog under "vegetable fritter". The yellow pepper I used was one from my garden. It just says "Medium Hot Yellow Pepper" on it so I don't know what's comparable. I liked the cauliflower one better but DS definitely liked the zucchini one better. Dipping in coconut yogurt sounds great. I was pathetic this summer and never made any.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#423 of 483 Old 08-29-2009, 07:05 PM

Okay, here it is, such as it is. The spices could use a little tweaking.

The normal recipe is 1 c. broccoli, 1 block cream cheese, 1 c. sour cream, 1 envelope Italiad Dressing (the Good Seasons powdered kind), 8 oz. Mexican cheese.

I know, I know, that's a lot of dairy to replace, but I had to try. I've been craving a dip (and as many of you know, pine nuts).

I soaked the pine nuts for 5 hours instead of 1 hour, and it seemed the same, so I wouldn't bother with the extra soaking time.

In food processor, combine:
2 cloves garlic
1 c. soaked pine nuts
1 tsp. karaya gum (Wilton's Gum-Tex) or xanthan or guar gum
2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
2 tsp. palm sugar
1 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 crushed red pepper
1 Tbs. parsley
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. ground mustard

Mix that with 1 c. steamed broccoli and 2 Tbs. chopped onion. Put in shallow pie plate and bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

I had mine with rice thins rice crackers. DS dipped broccoli in it.

Probably could have used a little lime (or lemon) juice, but I was out. I'm still taste testing as we speak, and trying to figure out the spices. May be a little more salt. A little less sugar. A little more pepper. Basil if you can have it. The Italian Dressing packet says "spices" so I'm not sure exactly what's in it. Maybe it needs a little more garlic too. But here's a starting spot for modifications.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#424 of 483 Old 09-06-2009, 05:35 PM

Goldfish Crackers - totally yumm!

Starting with this recipe, we se subbed 1/2 brown rice flour and 1/2 tapioca starch. We also used ghee as the oil (we've done it with coconut oil as well, but the ghee is far tastier). We squished the dough flat with our fingers on wax paper to make it easy to transfer to the parchment paper. Totally yumm! I'd suggest making 1/2 batch, the whole recipe makes a LOT of crackers.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#425 of 483 Old 09-06-2009, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
subbing! ::

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#426 of 483 Old 09-07-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Goldfish Crackers - totally yumm!

Starting with this recipe, we se subbed 1/2 brown rice flour and 1/2 tapioca starch. We also used ghee as the oil (we've done it with coconut oil as well, but the ghee is far tastier). We squished the dough flat with our fingers on wax paper to make it easy to transfer to the parchment paper. Totally yumm! I'd suggest making 1/2 batch, the whole recipe makes a LOT of crackers.
Thanks for the recipe! I am going to try this for the kids! They have never even had the regular goldfish crackers- so they will think this is a big treat! I just hope I don't like them!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#427 of 483 Old 09-14-2009, 05:49 PM

Easy (and easily substituted) Sunflower/veggie pate

1 1/2 cup sunflower seeds- ground
1/2 flour (original recipe calls for wheat, I use brown rice)
1/2 nutritional yeast
1 large carrot- grated
1 large onion- grated
1/3 cup oil (I usually do olive oil)
salt, basil, sage, ground pepper- to taste

Mix all together with 1 cup hot water (or my method- don't bother grinding or grating and throw everything in the food processor until it's a "slurry").

Bake at 350 for one hour in a 1 1/2" deep pan.

I do lots of substitutions: I almost always add garlic and red pepper, too. Today I used beets instead of the carrot. It's great with hot peppers, or cayenne and paprika.

This is great on bread, with crackers, as a spread on sandwiches, or as a thick dip for veggies. We freeze in small portions to take for lunches.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#428 of 483 Old 09-15-2009, 08:05 AM

We made up a recipe for rice/millet muffins two days ago when we went wheat and GF hoping to finally stop DS' sore poops. We used what few ingredients we had on hand. I've never made GF anything before so I have no idea what a good texture/taste is but we were pleasantly surprised. DS, DH and I all loved these. They were a little crumbly but we kinda liked them that way.

1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1 tsp corn free baking powder (hain's)
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 c. sweetener (I used brown sugar)
2 really ripe pears, peeled and mashed
5 TBSP oil (we used half canola, half olive)
1/4 tsp salt

Baked at 375 for 20-25 minutes. It made 11 muffins.

Now we just need to figure out what else to eat!

ETA: Woops, forgot to put the sweetener in the recipe previously. Added that.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#429 of 483 Old 09-15-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
How about some snack ideas? I have a hard time finding something to throw in my mouth on my way out the door... everything seems like it has to be cooked when your diet is restricted. I am addicted to the Enjoy Life bars and cookies, but I would prefer to get away from the packaged foods, even if they are allergen free.

Apples and bananas are the only things that I can ever think of to just 'grab and go'.
Crispy brown rice cereal, honey and your favorite seed/nut butter (or other goodies, like raisins, etc.) rolled into little balls. Sticky to make, but yummy. I don't remember the ratios I used but got the idea from the side of Erewhon's brown rice cereal.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#430 of 483 Old 11-12-2009, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Just made this for the first time, and was surprised how delicious it was!

Here's what I did:
  • I used part of a leg of lamb, since it's the leanest cut I could find, and trimmed off all fat. (Fat is supposed to be bad in jerky- goes rancid.)
  • Cut into thin strips.
  • I soaked in a mix of water (to cover), salt (maybe 1t?), pepper, honey (1/2t?) for a few hours (but you could certainly add other safe spices!)
  • Put into my dehydrator overnight at 155*.
  • Then I put it in the oven at 175 for half an hour, because my dehydrator book said to do that to kill salmonella.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#431 of 483 Old 11-21-2009, 10:54 AM

This recipe is based off the one on the Ener-G Tapicoa flour box, but I'll put it the way I did it:

2 flax eggs
1 cup of So Delicious Coconut Milk (in the cartons - more fat than rice milk)
1/4 cup oil (I used olive)
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 banana

Make two flax eggs (6 TBLS water, 2 TBLS flax meal, microwave 90 seconds) and add 1/2 banana to that. Mix with an electric mixer until very fluffy (this worked awesome, don't know why I never tried it before).

In separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix well. Then add milk, oil and flax mixture and combine.

I used a non-stick pan and also added some olive oil, and added more after each pancake. The pancakes got slightly crispy, very delicious!

Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#432 of 483 Old 11-29-2009, 11:02 PM

Heat together 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup butter and 1 large woodenspoonfull honey. Proof with a palmful of yeast. Stir in 1 packet gelatin, 4 eggs, 1/2 cup pecan-hazelnut butter and 2 cups freshground sweet brown rice.

Let rise and stir down. Let rise and stir down and put into a large cast iron muffin tin. Let rise and bake at 300 or so. Enjoy! I sure did...

This recipe is mine. We've been mostly grainfree for 5 months, and I was hungry for our family tradition dinnerrolls for the Thanksgiving feast. So I put these together hoping they'd turn out. They fell a little in the center, but the texture is really nice. Yum.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#433 of 483 Old 11-30-2009, 03:04 PM

I found this tasty recipe on the Turtle Mountain website. It's a very quick and easy soup that is warming and delicious. We eat a lot of it, as soon as it starts getting cold outside. This recipe alone made my hand (immersion) blender worth its weight in gold. But I do find myself using it for all kinds of other things, too.

Curried Carrot Soup

1 onion, coarsely chopped
6 carrots, thinly sliced
2 cups water or vegetable stock
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 cups So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage (Original or Vanilla)
½ teaspoon salt Toasted unsweetened coconut flakes, for garnish (optional)

Combine onion and carrots in a pot with water or broth and curry powder. Cover and simmer over medium heat until carrots can be easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.

Using an immersion blender, slowly add the coconut milk to the pot, and purée until completely smooth, about 2 minutes.

If you don’t have an immersion blender, process soup in small batches in a blender until smooth. Be very careful when blending the hot soup, as steam could blow off the blender lid. Return blended soup to pot and heat gently until hot and steamy. Garnish with coconut flakes if desired.

Serves 4.
#434 of 483 Old 12-03-2009, 12:00 PM

I've been working on this one for a few weeks. Finally got it. Oops, I ate the whole batch. Okay, I let DD2 have one of them, but I ate the rest. With nothing on them. Would probably be good with jam, if I could find some safe jam.... or make some... And sorry in advance for those of you who can't have eggs.

1 Tbs. olive oil
2 eggs
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1/2 c. sorghum flour
1/4 c. tapioca flour
3/4 c. original flavor rice milk

Mix it all together.
Preheat large muffin pan in 425F oven. When pan and oven are preheated, take out pan, grease it quickly with mixture of coconut oil and olive oil and divide the batter into the 6 cups. Bake at 425F for 15 minutes. Without opening oven door, turn oven down to 375F and bake for another 27 minutes. Remove from pan. Devour.

I played with the salt amount, the oil/shortening amount, the flour ratios, and adding gelatin. I think this tastes the most like the real thing. Of course, it's been a while since the real thing. I used to love making popovers in the morning. I'm glad to have them back.

#435 of 483 Old 12-18-2009, 08:43 PM

subbing
#436 of 483 Old 01-15-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
basic recipe (all over the internet):
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1tsp baking powder

I rolled into balls and pressed with a fork like you do with traditional peanut butter cookies

I subbed less sucanat for the sugar, and they came out molasses-ey.
I'm thinking that adding a little molasses and some cinnamon/ginger/etc would make yummy (soft) gingerbread cookies.
Probably any nut butter (pine nut, pumpkin seed, almond, tahini?...) could sub for the peanut butter
At least one blog has subbed a flax egg and a half for the egg, so that should work too.

Would this work with sun butter?
#437 of 483 Old 01-15-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnitti View Post
Would this work with sun butter?
I don't see why not, but there's only one way to find out..

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#438 of 483 Old 01-23-2010, 12:54 AM

Foccacia/Flat Bread/Pizza Crust

1 T yeast
1/2 c warm water
1/2 T honey or other sugar (or less)
1 egg
2 T (olive) oil

1 1/2 T gelatin
1/2 t salt
1 c brown rice flour (or less)
1/2 c tapioca starch
1-2 cloves crushed garlic
(other seasonings)

Proof the yeast in the warm water with the honey. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and garlic. Stir in the yeast, egg, oil. The consistency should be like brownie batter - thick, sticky, pourable and spreadable. I usually add a bit more water.

Generously grease a pan (I've been using a pie pan for thicker foccacia, or a cookie sheet for thin crust pizza), spoon the batter into the pan, spread it roughly with greased fingers, cover, and let rise for an hour or so.

Bake at 400 until the whole top is very golden brown. (I don't use timers) Prebake for pizza crust.

Comes out crusty and chewy and everything I've been missing in dipping bread With Italian seasoning, it made a perfect pizza crust tonight, that you can pick up and everything!

#439 of 483 Old 01-24-2010, 12:01 AM

subbing

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#440 of 483 Old 01-26-2010, 11:48 PM

Creamed Kale

Saute an onion, add garlic, throw in kale (minus stems) and some coconut milk. Put a lid on, cook till kale is tender, then puree it all together.

Baked eggs

Grease a ramekin, put a spoonful of creamed kale in, crack an egg on top, add diced tomatoes, bake at 350 or so until the egg white is set (10 minutes or so).

#441 of 483 Old 01-27-2010, 01:53 PM

I'm a newbie to TED, yesterday was our first day. I really thought I was going to starve while I prepared meals for my family and watched them eat. LOL

*a little background*
DS is 6 weeks and has had projectile vomit since about week 2-ish. While this doesn't happen everyday he does have reflux symptoms everyday. This has been getting progressivley worse so we have an appointment with our pedi in three weeks and we'll be trying TED until then.

So, I just had to thank you all for your contributions to this thread. It's going to save me from starvation!
#442 of 483 Old 01-27-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casha'sMommy View Post
I'm a newbie to TED, yesterday was our first day. I really thought I was going to starve while I prepared meals for my family and watched them eat. LOL

*a little background*
DS is 6 weeks and has had projectile vomit since about week 2-ish. While this doesn't happen everyday he does have reflux symptoms everyday. This has been getting progressivley worse so we have an appointment with our pedi in three weeks and we'll be trying TED until then.

So, I just had to thank you all for your contributions to this thread. It's going to save me from starvation!
Heads up, the TED is an extreme diet that can set you up for all sorts of nutritional deficiencies/imbalances. Have you done just top 8 plus gluten and corn?

#443 of 483 Old 01-27-2010, 02:29 PM

This nutritious snack from Gujarat in Western India is popular and available in sweet shops all over India. It tastes very delicious even kids will like it.

Ingredients :-

Bengal gram/ besan- 1/2 cup
Ginger-jalapeno paste- 1tsp (can do just with ginger paste if you don't like it hot)
sugar- 2 tsp
Water- 1/2 cup
Citric acid crystals- ¼ tsp OR 1 tbsp lime juice
salt to taste
Baking powder / Eno - ¾ tsp

For tempering :-
Oil- 1tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
green chillies- 2 finely chopped (again optional)
curry leaves (optional)

For garnishing :-
Chopped Parsley - 2 tbsp (original recipe has Cilantro!)
grated coconut- 1tbsp

Method:-
1) In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup besan (chickpea flour), 1/4 tsp citric acid crystals, 2 tsp sugar, ½ tsp ginger paste, ½ tsp green chili paste and salt to taste. Stir to mix, then add 1/2 cup water to make a batter of pouring consistency and mix well .
2) Combine 3/4 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp citric acid, and then sprinkle it on the batter. Stir it gently into the batter; you will see it forms bubbles. Pour immediately into the well greased pan.
3) Steam cook for 15-20 minutes, just like you do for Idlis. I use Pressure cooker without whistle for steaming.
4) Once the Dhokla is cooked completely, switch off the stove and leave it for 5 minutes to cool.
Take a serving plate, place it on top of the pan and invert the pan. The dhokla should fall as is into the plate.
5) Meanwhile, prepare the tempering. Heat 1 tbsp oil, and then add 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, curry leaves. Take the tempering off the heat, and pour the tempering mixture over the dhokla. Cut into wedges
6) Garnish with grated coconut and parsley (or cilantro) and serve warm with mint chutney/coconut chutney or ketchup.

If anyone tried and had success with idlis or dosas, I can post few more varieties of them.
#444 of 483 Old 01-27-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casha'sMommy View Post

*a little background*

I wouldn't jump right to TED either. Going off dairy, gluten, soy, corn is easier (they're the top 4 intolerances). Projectile vomiting was DS's thing. We said he was an olympian because the distances he got at 2 weeks. At the time, his was just dairy.

#445 of 483 Old 01-27-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Heads up, the TED is an extreme diet that can set you up for all sorts of nutritional deficiencies/imbalances. Have you done just top 8 plus gluten and corn?
I guess I should have been more specific. I'm not following TED to it's crazy extreme. I've completely removed dairy, soy, gluten, eggs, sea food in general, and nuts. I decided to add corn as well because we don't use much of that around here anyway so it's not too difficult to remove that. I don't eat beef much; mostly chicken, turkey, and pork so I guess you can say that's been eliminated as well. I added citrus to the list because I've been eating a lot of that lately.
That being said, I might as well be following TED because I am a protein junky! I eat double protein bread and eggs every morning with OJ/orange. I also snack on soy protein shakes and whey/soy/casein protein bars during the day to keep up with 3yo dd. (She happens to be a handfull) I'm basically starving right now! lol

DS has stuffy nose, had a diaper rash I couldn't explain until we added probiotics for him (he was on an antibiotic for a risky infection so I added probiotics). Not sure what the rash was about because it was there prior to the meds but went away while on meds and as soon as the probiotics were started. The meds are done but we're still doing the probiotics. He definitely has some reflux issues, I can hear it come up on him sometimes not to mention he's clearly in pain sometimes. He's super gassy but has had a couple of ever so slightly greenish poops so I watched my supply and was able to take care of that easily but the gassiness and fussiness still persists. The projectile vomit started around 2 weeks. It doesn't happen everyday, once every third or fourth day but he completely empties his tummy even if he hasn't just eaten. It comes out of nowhere. He is gaining very well though. He definitely has colic symptoms as well, three hours or so a night of crying/screaming. Gripe water doesn't seem to work. He also doesn't sleep well throughout the day. He usually has to sleep while I wear him in an upright position.

Sorry for the ramble but I thought I'd give you all the info rather than just partial information.
#446 of 483 Old 01-27-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I wouldn't jump right to TED either. Going off dairy, gluten, soy, corn is easier (they're the top 4 intolerances). Projectile vomiting was DS's thing. We said he was an olympian because the distances he got at 2 weeks. At the time, his was just dairy.
LOL
DS is quite the spitter. He can completely label anyone within a couple of feet of him.

Meant to add that I shouldn't have said TED but rather Dr. Sears with a couple of tweaks.
#447 of 483 Old 01-27-2010, 05:09 PM

You might want to start a new thread about you, or jump into the chat thread, so the info. doesn't get lost.

Corn is VERY hard to get out of most people's diet. It's everywhere under a lot of different names. And since it's not a top-8 allergen, most companies don't tell you the source. It's in baking powder, powdered sugar, iodized salt, a lot of meds, even a lot of meats (injected dextrose). Citric acid is usually from corn and it's in tons of things.

So you're on an ED vs. TED. Big difference in terms of nutrients/calories/fat intake.

#448 of 483 Old 01-27-2010, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

I thought I had posted this ages ago, but now when I decided to make them again and search for the recipe, I couldn't find it.... took me 20 minutes searching the entire forum. So here they are:

2 c. buckwheat flour
1/2 c. oil, or palm shortening, melted
2 t. baking soda
1 t. arrowroot
1 1/2 c. sugar or 1c honey
2 medium zucchinis, peeled & steamed
1 c. water
1 T. vinegar
1 T. molasses
sea salt- maybe 1t?

I cooked these for about 15 minutes... no idea what temperature. And the blog where I got the original recipe (that I modified) has been deleted. hmm. Will try 375 this afternoon and report back.

375 for 15 minutes worked pretty good. They're really dense, they don't really rise, so they're more like cake or brownies. Add a couple T of cocoa, and they'd be some delicious brownies! Or use banana instead of zucchini, and banana muffins. Or banana and cocoa- that makes some delicious, gooey brownies.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#449 of 483 Old 02-02-2010, 01:49 AM

Chunky Red Sauce (a.k.a. Everything But the Kitchen Sink Sauce)

1/2 cup good olive oil

1 med red onion, diced

1 carrot, diced

1 zucchini, diced

1/2 sm. can chopped olices

4 (or more) cloves of garlic, diced

3 28-oz. cans GF crushed tomatoes

2 tsp. oregano

4 tsp. basil

1-3 tbsp. honey

dash of salt

dash of pepper (not too much)

In a large saucepan, heat olive oil on med heat. Add onion. Saute for a minute or two. Add other veggies and herbs, leaving garlic til the last minute or so. Turn heat to med-low and simmer til onions are soft. Add canned tomatoes, honey, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Add a lid, leave just a tad uncovered. Simmer about an hour, stirring ocassionally. Use for whatever you need red sauce for. Freezes well. Doubles easily. ( As long as you've got a big enough pot!) Makes enough for two meals for my family of five. For a meat sauce, add 2 lbs preferred (cooked) ground meat.

Note: If your family doesn't like chunky, you can easily exclude some of the veggies (tho I'd leave in the onions, garlic and olives for flavor) or blend the sauce before serving.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#450 of 483 Old 02-02-2010, 01:50 AM

We had a family get together yesterday. Everyone was having lasagna. Until now, I’ve never attempted it because it’s one of the few things with cheese that I really miss. So yesterday I threw this together hoping it would be okay. Unexpectedly, I liked it better than the original cheesy lasagna, and *gasp* so did my husband!

1 pkg ener-g rice pasta

1 batch red sauce, minus meat

1 lb. ground beef or buffalo

1 1/2 c. baby spinach, chopped

4 cloves garlic, diced

3 portabella mushrooms, sliced

1 sm. can sliced olives

1 tsp. oregano

3 tsp. basil

1 tsp salt

a few grinds of pepper

safe bread crumbs ( about 1 cup)

Bring a large pot of water to boil, adding a tablespoon of salt. Cook pasta for twelve minutes. Meanwhile, brown hamburger, drain off grease, and allow to cool slightly. In a bowl, mix spinach, garlic, olives, and seasonings. Add hamburger. In a 9×13″ pan, pour 1 cup of red sauce. Layer 4 noodles. Spread hamburger mixture on top of noodles. Add another cup of red sauce. Layer another 4 noodles. Repeat, only this time add the sliced portabella mushrooms on top of hamburger mix. Continue with layers, leaving enough pasta and sauce for the top. Once all the layers are complete, sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Refrigerate for a few hours before baking. Bake, covered at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour. Remove covering halfway through baking. Remove. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page