Mothering Forum banner

Allergen-free recipes and meal ideas!

45K views 482 replies 70 participants last post by  WuWei 
#1 ·
To all allergy-suffering moms and T/ED refugees- I think it would be great to have a running thread with recipes and meal ideas that we could share with each other. I'm constantly wondering what to eat and sometimes have trouble trying to put together 3 allergen-free meals a day.

So maybe everyone can post their favorite meal ideas with the group. It would be a good idea to bold ingredients that are potential allergens (of course, everyone's allergen list is different, so just make sure to read carefully before using someone else's recipe!!)

I hope Astromom doesn't mind me quoting her
, but I thought her recent post was great and now I have a new alternative to store-bought tortillas!!

Quote:
I also work full-time. It is so overwhelming to be making all this stuff from scratch but I'm finally getting into the rhythm of it. On the weekend I buy a roaster chicken, 3 lbs of ground lamb, 3 lbs of ground chicken. (I used to do turkey too but I'm sick of turkey.) Then I bake the chicken, save the meat, boil the bones and make a broth overnight. Then I make patties out of the meat and dip them in quinoa flour (which is gluten/wheat free) with some sea salt and cook those in a skillet with some oil (I use safflower oil or grapeseed oil.) I put the roast chicken pieces in the fridge and eat them over the next couple days. I put the patties in the freezer and eat them over the rest of the week. It takes several hours but then I'm done with the main dishes for the rest of the week.

For my bread fix, I make tortillas out of buckwheat. I take buckwheat flour (which is gluten/wheat free), baking powder, a little bit of oil, and enough warm water to make it a good slightly sticky consistency. Squash them flat (onto a plate of buckwheat flour to keep them from sticking) and then cook on a skillet (no oil needed) for like 30 seconds per side.

See less See more
#402 ·
I'm trying to get more veggies into us, our meals w/the allergy situation are so very meat and rice heavy right now.

Quote:
Beef Cabbage Hash

INGREDIENTS

* 1 pound ground beef
* 4 medium baking potatoes, peeled and julienned - sub carrots or sweet potatoes?
* 4 cups shredded cabbage
* 1 large onion, sliced and quartered
* 3/4 cup water
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Does this sound like it would taste good? I'm not sure.

#403 ·
Quote:
Glazed Fall Vegetables

2 large sweet potatoes
1 large russet potato
1/2 pound baby carrots
1 acorn squash, peeled and cut into cubes
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup sorghum
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise; cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
2. Place potato slices, carrots, and squash in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
3. Stir together sugar and next 6 ingredients. Drizzle over potato mixture, tossing to coat.
4. Bake, covered, at 425*F (220*C) for 30 minutes. Uncover and gently stir vegetables. Bake 15 or 20 more minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.
I haven't tried this yet, but plan to.

#404 ·
Quote:
Green Beans with Glazed Onions

2 (16-ounce) bags frozen pearl onions, thawed
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, divided use
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt, divided use
3 pounds fresh green beans, cleaned and trimmed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar

1. In medium saucepan, combine onions, 4 tablespoons vinegar, butter, vegetable oil, thyme, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Heat over low heat until butter is melted; stirring to coat onions. Place mixture on a baking sheet and roast in a 400 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are browned nicely; remove from oven and set aside.
2. Blanch green beans in large saucepan of boiling water just until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside.
3. In small bowl, whisk together olive oil, mustard, sugar, the remaining 4 tablespoons of the vinegar, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
4. In a large bowl, toss the dressing together with the onions and the green beans. Place the mixture in a large casserole dish and cover.* Bake for 20 minutes in a 350 degree F oven.

Serves 8 to 10.

*Recipe can be made ahead at this point and refrigerated for a day. Bring to room temperature before cooking.
I haven't tried this yet but plan to.

#405 ·
Quote:
Marinated Grilled Portobella Mushrooms

4 large Portobella caps, 4 to 6 inches in diameter
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup red or white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dried herbs or 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh herbs

1. Remove the stems from the caps of the mushrooms. Save for use in another recipe, if desired.
2. Combine the remaining of ingredients and blend well with a whisk. Let the marinade sit for 1 hour until the herbs soften.
3. Prepare the grill.
4. Place the mushrooms in a shallow non-metallic dish or pan and pour the marinade over the mushrooms. Let the mushrooms marinate for 10 minutes, turning occasionally to ensure uniform coating. Remove the mushrooms from the marinade and place on the hot grill. Grill on each side for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the grill, slice, and serve immediately.

Serves 4.

Cook's Note: If you don't have a grill, you can bake the portabellas in a 350*F (175*C) oven for 5 to 7 minutes.
I haven't tried this yet but would like to. Seems kind of hard to find big mushrooms.

#406 ·
Quote:
Scalloped Mushrooms

1 pound fresh mushrooms
2 cup soft bread crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup white wine
Salt and pepper

1. Combine all ingredients in a casserole dish.
2. Bake at 325*F (160*C), covered, for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer.

Serves 4 to 6.
I haven't tried this yet but was thinking about trying it using Kathy's millet muffins for the bread crumbs.

#407 ·
Quote:
Aaron's Missouri Burger

INGREDIENTS

* 1 pound lean ground beef
* 2 teaspoons onion powder
* 1/4 cup honey mustard
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons olive oil

DIRECTIONS

1. Mix the ground beef, onion powder, honey mustard, garlic powder, sea salt, and brown sugar in a large bowl. Shape into 4 patties.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the burgers, turning occasionally, to desired temperature, 15 to 20 minutes for well done.
I found this online and have made them several times, using sucanat for the brown suger. Everyone loves them. I've made the recipe into meatloaf as well and cooked it that way. I think they were meant to be cooked over an open grill where the grease would drop. Don't really need that much oil to make a meatloaf.

:

#408 ·
I think Kathy has a chicken marsala recipe on her blog. (kathysrecipebox.com)
And ALL of those recipes sound good. I'm trying to get more veggies into us as well, so thanks so much!

#409 ·
I'm shocked, Kathy does have a chicken marsala recipe. The reason I'm shocked is I was totally thinking that she didn't and that if she didn't have a recipe up for it, then it probably couldn't be done, but started looking on the web for a recipe after my dh ordered it out recently and I was so jealous. But she does! How the heck did I miss that? I feel like I'm pretty well versed with her site!

#410 ·
But I add new stuff all the time.... I think I just put my creme brulee on there, and potato pancakes, and hot sauce. I still have to put my mustard recipe on there. When I make chicken marsala or chicken mirabella, DD1 always says it's "chicken blah blah" and she likes them both, but she calls them both the same thing.

I finally figured out pork carnitas last night, on the 5th try. And my DS declared "the best meal I ever ate." I haven't stuck it on my blog yet but I'll put it here.

3-4 lb. pork roast (I use pork loin), cut into 1" x 2" chunks -- make sure you don't trim it, because you need the fat in there
2 c. pineapple juice
2 c. water
2 tsp. sea salt
3 cloves garlic, peeled

Put all in pot. Bring to a boil. Cook for 2 hours, uncovered. After 2 hours, turn heat up to medium to medium-high and cook until all liquid has evaporated and pork fat has rendered (about an hour). Make sure it's browned on all sides. Will start falling apart.

#412 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by marzanmama View Post
Hi there!

Here's my recipe for Turkey Swedish Meatballs. My ds is 21 months old and allergic to wheat, dairy, egg and nuts (and sensitive to a bunch of other stuff):

1 pkg. ground turkey (approx 1.5lbs)
1/4 cup onion
1 tsp. nutmeg
dash allspice
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup breadcrumbs--I use Bread For Life Brown Rice Bread
1/4 plain rice or soy milk (kinda optional)

take all those things and mush them together well and make some meatballs.

Brown them in an inch of oil--I use canola.

But them in a baking dish. Throw out all but two tablespoons of oil from the dish you browned them in. Put in one can of chicken stock and some vegan butter (which often has soy in it). Add some plain rice or soy milk--half a cup maybe? Scrape off the drippings from the meatballs and simmer to make a sauce. I am too lazy to try to thicken the sauce using flour but I'm sure it can be done.

After a few minutes I throw the sauce over the meatballs and put it in the oven at 325 for about 40 minutes. Serve over rice noodles.

I make this at least once a week, my boy goes around saying "beatballs, beatballs!" if he doesn't have them frequently enough.
My same age son has the same allergies. We should exchange more recipes (by that I mean you give me some of your since I am at a loss lol...we do too much rice pasta!) I am wondering about nutmeg with your nut alergic ds...isn't that a tree nut? Can he tolerate it?

#413 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taryn237 View Post
Kathy - do you think this would be good without the garlic? My DS can't have garlic. Maybe I could add a bit of onion instead?
Is that the carnitas recipe? You can probably do it without the garlic, or add some onion. It's just for a little extra flavor.

#414 ·
Chickpea Fritters

There's sure to be a name for these, but I don't know what it is. Went to a family wedding a month ago, and one of the "safe" appetizers was "chickpea fritters". They were round, deep-fried, the size of a donut hole. And they were served hot, on top of a schmear of pureed chickpeas (or other bean) with some kind of spice in them.

So I asked a couple people and looked at a bunch of recipes. It sounds like there's a lot of ways to make them. And it's technique, not the recipe, that matters (I don't know if I have the technique down yet).

So last night I made zucchini fritters (the original one was carrot and DS can't have carrots).

1 c. shredded zucchini
1 c. chickpea flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
3 grinds of black pepper (see how well I measure when I'm trying something the first time?)
1/4 tsp. corn-free baking powdr
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 medium-hot yellow pepper, finely diced

Mix. Add enough water so it comes together (I was told it was supposed to be like pancake batter, so I probably had too much water in it last night). Heat about 1" of oil (I used canola). Deep fry a few minutes on each side, until browned.

DS loved them. DD2 didn't like it. DD1 wouldn't try it. DH and I liked them.

Tonight I chopped cauliflower really small (pea sized). I added about 1/2 cup of water (I measured it tonight) and didn't use the medium hot pepper or the chili powder. But I added a little finely diced red onion. This time the batter was thicker and I actually made it into rounds before frying. I liked them better than the zucchini ones, but DS didn't like them as well.

I used a can of cannelini beans, and pureed them in the food processor with 1 Tbs. olive oil. And 2-3 tsp. of curry powder. And I dipped my fritters in that.

I'm figuring you can probably use any veggie in it. At the wedding, they had carrot fritters and potato fritters.

It's Indian (India, not Native American). In case anybody can find a real recipe for it.

#416 ·
Friday Fit Recipe #10: Gluten-free Summer Quinoa Salad

This recipe is a customized version of the salad we had at the picnic. Thanks to our friends C. and W. for the great recipe - it went particularly well with a salad made with organic greens from our garden, a light vinaigrette, and a roasted free range chicken, which was our dinner last night. It was excellent.
Ingredients

1 cup uncooked red quinoa

2 cups water

2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved

2 avocados, diced

1 cup artichoke hearts

1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

2 tablespoons of pine nuts, toasted

2 tablespoons of capers, to taste

Caramelized onions:

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 thinly sliced red onion

Basic vinaigrette dressing:

3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice, with zest

2 cloves minced garlic

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

Serves 4-6 as a side dish
Preparation

Bring the quinoa and water to boil. When the water boils, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the water is absorbed, approximately 10 minutes. When cooked, quinoa has a texture similar to perfectly cooked pasta, or rice. Strain and rinse well under cold water.

While the quinoa is cooking, in a skillet heat olive oil over medium heat and saute the onions until transparent.

Prepare the vinaigrette by combining the ingredients and whisking.

In a large salad bowl, toss all of the ingredients together, including caramelized onions and the vinaigrette.
To Serve

Serve cold or at room temperature. With very little to spoil, this would make an excellent accompaniment on a picnic. Couple this salad with fresh greens, chicken or fish for protein, and your wine of choice, and you have an excellent, healthy meal.
Options

The original recipe did not include the artichoke hearts, but we found that it was a very flavorful addition.

#417 ·
Banana Pina Colada PuddingI'm thinking (now that I know DS will eat it) that I could hide some extra supplements in here if I need to.1 Tbs. + 1 tsp. gelatin (I use Great Lakes pork)3/4 c. sugar (I use palm)1 c. pineaplle juice2 tsp. corn-free vanilla3 large ripe bananas1 c. coconut milkIn saucepan, combine palm sugar, 1 Tbs. gelatin, and pineapple juice. Stir over medium heat until dissolved.Mash bananas in a bowl.In bowl of mixer, mix 1 tsp. gelatin, vanilla, and coconut milk. Beat for 1 minute.Mix all together. Pour into dessert dishes (mine made 8 small dishes) and chill.Because the adults were having coconut creme brulee, I put a tsp. of sugar on the top of each of the kids' dishes, and used by kitchen torch to melt the sugar (beet sugar for DS, cane sugar for the other kids).DS gave it one thumbs-up. Nephew gave it 2 thumbs and 2 big toes up, and Niece gave it 5 thumbs up. DD1 wouldn't try it (what else is new). I thought it tasted like banana creme pie.

#418 ·
Quinoa with Moroccan Winter Squash and Carrot Stew
Stew
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pinch of saffron
1 cup water
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 cups 1-inch cubes peeled butternut squash (from 1 1/2-pound squash)
2 cups 3/4-inch cubes peeled carrots

Quinoa
1 cup quinoa*
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped peeled carrot
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 cups water
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint, divided

For stew:
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until soft, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; stir 1 minute. Mix in paprika and next 8 ingredients. Add 1 cup water, tomatoes, and lemon juice. Bring to boil. Add squash and carrots. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)

For quinoa:
Rinse quinoa; drain. Melt butter with oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and carrot. Cover; cook until vegetables begin to brown, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, salt, and turmeric; sauté 1 minute. Add quinoa; stir 1 minute. Add 2 cups water. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover; simmer until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.

Rewarm stew. Stir in half of cilantro and half of mint. Spoon quinoa onto platter, forming well in center. Spoon stew into well. Sprinkle remaining herbs over.

#419 ·
Here's what I did:
blend, adding water to make it smooth:
1 cup well-soaked cashews (about 8 hours?)
~1 tbsp lime juice
1-2 tbsp honey
pinch of salt
(this makes a 'sweetened creme fraiche')

add (still in the blender):
1/2 can coconut milk
1 envelope gelatin, softened and dissolved in as little water as possible (about 1/4 cup?)

add frozen strawberries and blend till smooth.

It starts out like a milkshake, and thickens as it sits. I put leftovers in the fridge, and they're like a strawberry mousse.

#420 ·
basic recipe (all over the internet):
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1tsp baking powder

I rolled into balls and pressed with a fork like you do with traditional peanut butter cookies

I subbed less sucanat for the sugar, and they came out molasses-ey.
I'm thinking that adding a little molasses and some cinnamon/ginger/etc would make yummy (soft) gingerbread cookies.
Probably any nut butter (pine nut, pumpkin seed, almond, tahini?...) could sub for the peanut butter
At least one blog has subbed a flax egg and a half for the egg, so that should work too.

#421 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Chickpea Fritters

There's sure to be a name for these, but I don't know what it is. Went to a family wedding a month ago, and one of the "safe" appetizers was "chickpea fritters". They were round, deep-fried, the size of a donut hole. And they were served hot, on top of a schmear of pureed chickpeas (or other bean) with some kind of spice in them.

So I asked a couple people and looked at a bunch of recipes. It sounds like there's a lot of ways to make them. And it's technique, not the recipe, that matters (I don't know if I have the technique down yet).

So last night I made zucchini fritters (the original one was carrot and DS can't have carrots).

1 c. shredded zucchini
1 c. chickpea flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
3 grinds of black pepper (see how well I measure when I'm trying something the first time?)
1/4 tsp. corn-free baking powdr
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 medium-hot yellow pepper, finely diced

Mix. Add enough water so it comes together (I was told it was supposed to be like pancake batter, so I probably had too much water in it last night). Heat about 1" of oil (I used canola). Deep fry a few minutes on each side, until browned.

DS loved them. DD2 didn't like it. DD1 wouldn't try it. DH and I liked them.

Tonight I chopped cauliflower really small (pea sized). I added about 1/2 cup of water (I measured it tonight) and didn't use the medium hot pepper or the chili powder. But I added a little finely diced red onion. This time the batter was thicker and I actually made it into rounds before frying. I liked them better than the zucchini ones, but DS didn't like them as well.

I used a can of cannelini beans, and pureed them in the food processor with 1 Tbs. olive oil. And 2-3 tsp. of curry powder. And I dipped my fritters in that.

I'm figuring you can probably use any veggie in it. At the wedding, they had carrot fritters and potato fritters.

It's Indian (India, not Native American). In case anybody can find a real recipe for it.
Kathy! i just want to thank you--I made this tonight and it was AWESOME! never had anything like it! -man was my hubby just waiting to head out to costco to get a rotisierri chicken (I told him he could if dinner was bad)--he wants me to make this OFTEN!!1
a neighbor gave me LOTS of zuchinni and so I thought I'd try it--I did what you named second--(no chili powder and red onion instead of the yellow pepper (what kind of pepper were you saying to use anyways to try for next time?) --I doubled the recipe--YUM!! cooked in coconut oil and then dipped in some plain coconut yogurt--MMM! thanks again--this isn't on your blog yet right? I need to comment there!

#422 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
Kathy! i just want to thank you--I made this tonight and it was AWESOME! never had anything like it! -man was my hubby just waiting to head out to costco to get a rotisierri chicken (I told him he could if dinner was bad)--he wants me to make this OFTEN!!1
a neighbor gave me LOTS of zuchinni and so I thought I'd try it--I did what you named second--(no chili powder and red onion instead of the yellow pepper (what kind of pepper were you saying to use anyways to try for next time?) --I doubled the recipe--YUM!! cooked in coconut oil and then dipped in some plain coconut yogurt--MMM! thanks again--this isn't on your blog yet right? I need to comment there!
It's on my blog under "vegetable fritter". The yellow pepper I used was one from my garden. It just says "Medium Hot Yellow Pepper" on it so I don't know what's comparable. I liked the cauliflower one better but DS definitely liked the zucchini one better. Dipping in coconut yogurt sounds great. I was pathetic this summer and never made any.

#423 ·
Okay, here it is, such as it is. The spices could use a little tweaking.

The normal recipe is 1 c. broccoli, 1 block cream cheese, 1 c. sour cream, 1 envelope Italiad Dressing (the Good Seasons powdered kind), 8 oz. Mexican cheese.

I know, I know, that's a lot of dairy to replace, but I had to try. I've been craving a dip (and as many of you know, pine nuts).

I soaked the pine nuts for 5 hours instead of 1 hour, and it seemed the same, so I wouldn't bother with the extra soaking time.

In food processor, combine:
2 cloves garlic
1 c. soaked pine nuts
1 tsp. karaya gum (Wilton's Gum-Tex) or xanthan or guar gum
2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
2 tsp. palm sugar
1 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 crushed red pepper
1 Tbs. parsley
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. ground mustard

Mix that with 1 c. steamed broccoli and 2 Tbs. chopped onion. Put in shallow pie plate and bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

I had mine with rice thins rice crackers. DS dipped broccoli in it.

Probably could have used a little lime (or lemon) juice, but I was out. I'm still taste testing as we speak, and trying to figure out the spices. May be a little more salt. A little less sugar. A little more pepper. Basil if you can have it. The Italian Dressing packet says "spices" so I'm not sure exactly what's in it. Maybe it needs a little more garlic too. But here's a starting spot for modifications.

#424 ·
Goldfish Crackers - totally yumm!

Starting with this recipe, we se subbed 1/2 brown rice flour and 1/2 tapioca starch. We also used ghee as the oil (we've done it with coconut oil as well, but the ghee is far tastier). We squished the dough flat with our fingers on wax paper to make it easy to transfer to the parchment paper. Totally yumm! I'd suggest making 1/2 batch, the whole recipe makes a LOT of crackers.

#426 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Goldfish Crackers - totally yumm!

Starting with this recipe, we se subbed 1/2 brown rice flour and 1/2 tapioca starch. We also used ghee as the oil (we've done it with coconut oil as well, but the ghee is far tastier). We squished the dough flat with our fingers on wax paper to make it easy to transfer to the parchment paper. Totally yumm! I'd suggest making 1/2 batch, the whole recipe makes a LOT of crackers.
Thanks for the recipe! I am going to try this for the kids! They have never even had the regular goldfish crackers- so they will think this is a big treat! I just hope I don't like them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.