Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sweet Potato Cupcakes

2/3 c. palm shortening
1 c. mashed sweet potatoes
1 c. quinoa flour
1/2 c. tapioca starch
1/2 c. rice flour
2 Tbs. milled flax + 6 Tbs. water (microwaved for 1 minute)
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
2 tsp. corn-free baking powder (equal parts tapioca starch, baking soda, cream of tartar)
1 tsp. rice vinegar then add rice milk to make 1 cup

Cream shortening and sugars. Then add everything else. I made 24 cupcakes. I baked at 325 but I forgot to write down how long I baked them for - DUH! I'm guessing start at 25 minutes and then add more time if needed. They were really good with frosting (palm shortening, vanilla, rice milk - kind of like a buttercream frosting). It probably would have been good with cinnamon but DS can't have it. I also didn't want it to spice-cake like, since I was just looking for a basic cupcake. So you could do more spice if you want. It's a starting point anyway (which is why it's not on my blog yet!).
Kathy

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#62 of 483 Old 06-03-2008, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
No one has posted any good recipes in a while, so I thought I better bump this up.

This one is a recipe from the Allergy Self-Help Cookbook that I modified. I'm just giving general directions so that I don't break any copyright rules (also, this is my modified version.) You can substitute any flours/oils/fruits/sweeteners/etc.

Filling:
5 cups rhubarb (about 5 med/large stalks)
3 T. arrowroot
1/2 c. brown sugar (or honey)
1/3 c. water

Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil 30 seconds and pour into greased 8"x8" pan.

Topping:
1/4 oil (I used safflower, and could have used much less than 1/4 c.)
2 T. brown sugar
1/2 c. flour (they suggest buckwheat, I used brown rice flour)
1/4 c. arrowroot
(This is all I used for the topping, but you can add nuts, cinnamon, etc. if safe for you)

Mix; should be crumbly. Sprinkle over the fruit mixture. Bake @ 350 for 35-40 minutes.

The toping turned out really nice and flaky; tasted like a rhubarb pie! (which I haven't had since I was a kid.)

YUM. :

BTW- this cookbook has some FABULOUS recipes- all you allergy mamas should go out and buy it!!!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#63 of 483 Old 06-03-2008, 02:12 AM

http://www.elanaspantry.com/2008/05/...ream-frosting/

This looks like a delicious frosting. I think I'll test it out soon!

ETA: does anyone know if I could use agar agar or kuzu instead of arrowroot? I happen to have both of those on hand but I've never used arrowroot so I don't know how it differs from the other things I mentioned.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#64 of 483 Old 06-03-2008, 06:10 PM

I used palm shortening, coconut milk yogurt, corn-free powdered sugar, and rice milk for my frosting, and it tasted just like cream cheese frosting. SO good.

I made caramel from Lyle's Golden Syrup, sugar, and coconut milk yogurt on Sunday. It was soooo good I was licking the spoon afterwards, and the bowl. I used Rice Chex and Crispy Brown Rice cereal (both gluten free) and coconut, and a little salt, and then mixed in the caramel. They were sort of like a rice krispie square, only caramely and more like a candy bar. I wanted to eat the whole pan (but they were for my son's birthday party so I couldn't).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#65 of 483 Old 06-03-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I used palm shortening, coconut milk yogurt, corn-free powdered sugar, and rice milk for my frosting, and it tasted just like cream cheese frosting. SO good.

I made caramel from Lyle's Golden Syrup, sugar, and coconut milk yogurt on Sunday. It was soooo good I was licking the spoon afterwards, and the bowl. I used Rice Chex and Crispy Brown Rice cereal (both gluten free) and coconut, and a little salt, and then mixed in the caramel. They were sort of like a rice krispie square, only caramely and more like a candy bar. I wanted to eat the whole pan (but they were for my son's birthday party so I couldn't).
Yummo! Would love that recipe - is it on your website? I guess I can check
One of my new go-to treats is gluten free brown rice cereal mixed in a bowl with ricemellow (now that we can do soy). An instant rice krispy treat!

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#66 of 483 Old 06-03-2008, 07:15 PM

Cereal Squares link and frosting link. I got marshmallow creme for AllerEnergy (same place I get the corn-free marshmallows, which are good for s'mores and treats) but it was not like Fluff. It didn't work on a sandwich. I guess I could've tried it in Rice Krispie Squares, but DS said he didn't like the taste at all. But these were very caramely good. I'm wondering if it would work as a caramel apple covering? You have to get it up to soft ball stage. I'm finding all sorts of new uses for coconut milk yogurt. I made a dill dip out of it on Sunday for veggies. Wasn't thick enough but tasted good :

#67 of 483 Old 06-04-2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
The only Rice Chex I've found has a barley ingredient in it which is on the list from Biotek as "not safe" for GF diets.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#68 of 483 Old 06-04-2008, 02:18 AM

Quote:
I don't know if molasses burns. Anyone help on that one?
I don't remember seeing a response to this, and I know it was a *long* time ago, so for all I know you're finished with your GF granola bars. I phoned and asked my aunt and she said that molasses *will* burn and if you're using it in something which needs to be boiled down to a soft ball stage or further, a double boiler should be used to prevent it from taking on a burnt taste. She made *the best* candies when I was a kid, using only molasses as a sweetener.
HTH (and sorry to be so late!)

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#69 of 483 Old 06-04-2008, 09:21 AM

Actually I am still working on the granola bars with molasses! DD loves them. I've made 3 batches so far. They're great RIGHT out of the fridge. But 5 minutes later, they fall apart. That's why I want to cook the molasses longer (to soft ball, preferably) and see what happens. I'll try again with a double boiler. Thanks!!

Regular old Rice Chex (can't remember who makes them -- General Mills?) changed their recipe so it doesn't have barley anymore. It's now Gluten Free. The white and blue box. I used up all of mine so I can't go look at the brand.

#70 of 483 Old 06-04-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Actually I am still working on the granola bars with molasses! DD loves them. I've made 3 batches so far. They're great RIGHT out of the fridge. But 5 minutes later, they fall apart. That's why I want to cook the molasses longer (to soft ball, preferably) and see what happens. I'll try again with a double boiler. Thanks!!

Regular old Rice Chex (can't remember who makes them -- General Mills?) changed their recipe so it doesn't have barley anymore. It's now Gluten Free. The white and blue box. I used up all of mine so I can't go look at the brand.
Kathy is this recipe up on your site yet? I've been meaning to find a good recipe for this. Dd will be in preschool next year and I'm going to need to send her snacks.
#71 of 483 Old 06-04-2008, 02:12 PM

I guess we just haven't received the new Chex here yet then. I'll keep checking them. Thanks, Kathy!

#72 of 483 Old 06-04-2008, 04:27 PM

the molasses granola bars are not on my blog yet because I haven't perfected them yet. Today I made english muffins, coconut milk yogurt, and tapioca pudding, so I haven't had time to work on the granola bars!!

And I got the ALCAT results for DS and I'm trying to meal plan on a rotational basis for his green foods, and I'm trying to figure out whether to take out the yellow foods as well. It doesn't leave much, if I only do green foods. I'm at a loss if I can't do wheat, turkey, chicken, rice, yeast, milk, etc.

#73 of 483 Old 06-09-2008, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

I was so excited to hear about the Rice Chex, but I just checked out the box and saw that it has all sorts of vitamins added... probably corn based I would guess. That's a big bummer, because I would love to have a cereal besides my crispy brown rice... But for those that CAN eat it- they have some gluten-free recipes on their website.

HA HA- I tried to make tapioca pudding with just rice milk last night (I didn't have any coconut milk).... I'm sure you all know how that turned out. Pretty runny! But it does have a nice caramel-y flavor with just the rice milk and a splash of vanilla. I'm going to try boiling it and reducing it down some, hope that works.

#74 of 483 Old 06-09-2008, 07:54 PM

DD has corn-based eczema, and she has not reacted to the new gluten free Rice Chex.

#75 of 483 Old 06-09-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
DD has corn-based eczema, and she has not reacted to the new gluten free Rice Chex.
Us, too. My dd can also tolerate enriched Rice Dream rice milk just fine.

I know that everyone has different levels of sensitivity, so just proceed with caution.
#76 of 483 Old 06-10-2008, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Good to know!! Maybe I will try it out. I'm drinking Rice Dream anyway...

#77 of 483 Old 06-13-2008, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

I just had some really yummy buckwheat waffles. The recipe is from the Allergy Self-Help Cookbook- buckwheat pancakes. I made the pancakes a few weeks ago, and they were OK... but we tried it for waffles tonight, and they were really good!!!

Totally gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free....

I'm not going to post the whole recipe because of copyright... but it used buckwheat flour, cream of tarter, water (or soy milk), salt, oil. That's it!! I was really impressed with the taste and texture.

BTW- I tried making pancakes with brown rice and amaranth flour the other day (was out of buckwheat).... I won't be trying that again.

#78 of 483 Old 06-14-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I just had some really yummy buckwheat waffles. The recipe is from the Allergy Self-Help Cookbook- buckwheat pancakes. I made the pancakes a few weeks ago, and they were OK... but we tried it for waffles tonight, and they were really good!!!

Totally gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free....

I'm not going to post the whole recipe because of copyright... but it used buckwheat flour, cream of tarter, water (or soy milk), salt, oil. That's it!! I was really impressed with the taste and texture.

BTW- I tried making pancakes with brown rice and amaranth flour the other day (was out of buckwheat).... I won't be trying that again.
Would you mind pming me the recipe?? Pretty please
#79 of 483 Old 06-19-2008, 05:57 PM

For those who can and do use coconut milk, I found this recipe and thought I might share:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...ilk84749.shtml

#80 of 483 Old 06-20-2008, 12:47 AM

Another recipe I found while searching the net:
http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.co...ch-heaven.html

Soy-free, egg-free, dairy-free, gluten-free mayo. Contains cornstarch (or wheat starch) though.
In case anyone is interested in giving it a go.

#81 of 483 Old 06-20-2008, 10:52 AM

I just made buckwheat waffles this morning and my two food-intolerant kids LOVED them. no eggs, no dairy. DS can have squash (one of the few vegetables on his "safe" list) but he doesn't like it. I put 4 Tbs. of pureed squash in it. I also put cloves, ginger, and nutmeg in it. They were awesome. I need to figure out how to make it savory so he can use it as sandwich bread. This used "white" buckwheat flour which I just found. Now I'm on a roll. I'm going to see if I can do biscuits tonight!

#82 of 483 Old 06-24-2008, 10:17 PM

Supper tonight is barbecued steaks (no gluten-free briquettes though, so I guess technically we're cheating) with

GREEK SALAD
A:
3 tomatoes, diced
2 cucumbers, diced
1 onion(preferably red), quartered then sliced
2 cans black olives

B:
1/4 c lemon juice
3/4 c olive oil
1 T oregano
1 t parsley
1 t salt
Garlic powder to taste

Mix together all B ingredients and pour over A ingredients. Toss and serve.

#83 of 483 Old 07-02-2008, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks rebeccajo and WC_hapamama for this recipe & variations

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (or substitute GF flour mix)
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon vinegar
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup cold water
Preparation:
In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and salt. Make three wells in the flour mixture. In one put vanilla; in another the vinegar, and in the third the oil. Pour the cold water over the mixture and stir until moistened. Pour into 8 x 8-inch pan. Bake at 350°F. oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it springs back when touched lightly.

Here are the "flavor substitutions" off of my favorite wacky cake recipe

Vanilla: omit cocoa. Double amount of vanilla.

Spice: omit cocoa. Add 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice.

Orange: omit cocoa & vinegar. Substitute orange juice for the water.

Lemon: omit cocoa. Substitute lemon juice for vinegar. Some lemon extract can be added

#84 of 483 Old 07-02-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks rebeccajo and WC_hapamama for this recipe & variations 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (or substitute GF flour mix)
If you're using a gluten-free flour mixture instead of all-purpose flour in this recipe, you should also add 1/2 teaspoon or so of xanthan gum or the cake gets very crumbly.

Live and love with your whole being.
#85 of 483 Old 07-02-2008, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder if we can make this a sticky... it takes me forever to find it in all the pages of threads when I want to add (or use) a recipe.

Anyone know how we can do that?

#86 of 483 Old 07-02-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccajo View Post
If you're using a gluten-free flour mixture instead of all-purpose flour in this recipe, you should also add 1/2 teaspoon or so of xanthan gum or the cake gets very crumbly.
As a note, if you're using a store bought gluten free blend, double check to see if it already contains xanthan gum... some of them already include it, and too much xanthan makes things very gummy.
#87 of 483 Old 07-02-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC_hapamama View Post
As a note, if you're using a store bought gluten free blend, double check to see if it already contains xanthan gum... some of them already include it, and too much xanthan makes things very gummy.
Ah, that's a good note. I always made my gluten-free mixture since most store-bought ones I've found have potato in them and my son can't have that. Thanks for the additional information!

Live and love with your whole being.
#88 of 483 Old 07-02-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I wonder if we can make this a sticky... it takes me forever to find it in all the pages of threads when I want to add (or use) a recipe.

Anyone know how we can do that?
To make a thread a sticky, the mod for the forum has to be pm'd with the thread. I can pm her.
#89 of 483 Old 07-03-2008, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Here's my super-fast, super-easy dessert for the week.

Throw some fruit in a pie/cake pan (I'm using strawberries and blueberries, because they are 2 of the few fruits we can still eat...)

Make a 'crisp' topping-
I used equal parts brown rice flour & brown raw sugar;
cut in a couple tablespoons of Spectrum shortening (finally found this stuff- awesome!!) until it's crumbly;
sprinkle on top of fruit.

Bake for ~15 minutes.. around 350ish. I turned the broiler on for a few minutes to get the top a little extra crispy.

I know, my directions are so specific...

Of course, most of you have a much bigger list of allowable foods, so you might add some cinnamon, nutmeg, oatmeal, nuts, etc. to the topping to make it even more scrumptious.

#90 of 483 Old 07-05-2008, 07:18 PM

Homemade Marshmallows
http://homecooking.about.com/gi/dyna...56/whybuy.html

Contains vanilla and powdered sugar, otherwise corn and wheat free. Not vegan (contains gelatin).
I intend to try to make these tonight and then try them in making Rice Crispie treats tomorrow using gf crispy rice cereal and Earthbalance margarine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page