Allergen-free recipes and meal ideas! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2008, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son wanted a treat yesterday and didn't like my maple cream cookies (that's okay; more for me) so I used that recipe as a base and made Spice Cookies (snuck a veggie in there that he didn't know about either). He gobbled up most of the batch (almost muffin-y in texture; can't figure out what to do about that).

1 c. pumpkin puree
6 Tbs. coconut oil
1 Tbs. milled flax + 3 Tbs. water (microwaved on high 1 minute)
1 tsp. corn-free vanilla
1 c. light buckwheat flour
1/2 c. sweet potato flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
3 Tbs water
2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 c. date sugar
1/4 c. maple syrup

Mix together. Drop by large Tablespoons on insulated baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 14 minutes.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seriously Kathy- you should publish a cookbook! Your recipes always look so yummy (even though I can't try most... yet.) :

You could be making some money from this adventure!!!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:13 PM

Menomena, have you tried hemp hearts (seeds)? They can be used to make hemp butter.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 08-02-2008, 07:32 PM

I don't want to make money off all these people with food allergies/intolerances. I just want to help them. I know how hard it is finding foods that my kids can have. And if I can help just one person, I will be happy! Besides, my recipes aren't stable enough. I am always trying new things and trying to make them better, so I can't stand still long enough to make a cookbook. Today I said to DH, "I'm thinking about how to make chocolate chip cookies..." and he said, "out of what? nothing? sure, you can do that." A vote of confidence!!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 08-02-2008, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Well, you certainly wouldn't be taking advantage of people. You've put a lot of time and energy into making up new recipes, and those recipes would help a lot of people who didn't have that time. I would certainly pay money for a cookbook that I could actually use!

Old 08-05-2008, 03:15 AM

My favorite food right now is sweet potato fries. They are a hit with the whole family. I got the recipe from Kathy's website. Thank you thank you Kathy! It's recipes like this that keep me going. Nice and simple and yummy.

We do safflower oil instead of olive oil and we don't do pepper, just sea salt. I cut them a little thinner and cook them a little shorter and I can get them to sort of crisp up like chips. Wow. Just wow. :
Old 08-13-2008, 12:30 PM

The other night I made bacon-wrapped scallops. They were so good. Just brushed them with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Stuck them on skewers and on the grill, 4 minutes on each side. Yum. Yum. I'm going to make them for the wine and hors d'ouvres party we're going to on Saturday night. Along with some kind of safe finger food for the kiddies (I don't have any ideas for that yet).

Old 08-13-2008, 02:20 PM

There is no such thing as safe bacon for us. Even the uncured/non-preservative bacon at the HFS has "spices" in it. Spices = garlic. Boo hoo for us. Those scallops sound delish, though.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
Old 08-13-2008, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post
There is no such thing as safe bacon for us. Even the uncured/non-preservative bacon at the HFS has "spices" in it. Spices = garlic. Boo hoo for us. Those scallops sound delish, though.
I found some "bacon" at the Asian market recently. It really was just thin sliced pork- looked like bacon.... I added a little sea salt, and it tasted pretty good. Not exactly like bacon, but pork-y and crispy anyway. I bet it would work great around the scallops.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:23 PM

I go to a local smokehouse. it's just bacon and salt....

Old 08-13-2008, 09:21 PM

me=jealous. i need to see if we have a smokehouse around here...

Old 08-14-2008, 12:28 AM

I looked again (I have one package left in the freezer). There's sugar and sodium nitrate in mine too (but no spices). And it's sooooooooo good.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
We just bought a pig from an organic pig farm and had the slaughterhouse just slice and package it. No smoking/seasonings/curing at all. It isn't like storebought bacon - but sprinkle some salt on it and it tastes bacon-y!

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09
Old 08-14-2008, 07:10 PM

So - you guys have probably all figured this one out already but here goes!

My alternative to "Puppy Chow". (Yes, I know that rice chex is now certified gf)

Pop 1/4 cup organic corn kernels.
Mix your choice of oil(s) with 2/3 cup cocoa + 1/2 tsp (or to taste) stevia powder until it becomes a smooth chocolate sauce.
Discard any unpopped kernels and put the rest into a large paper bag.
Pour the chocolate sauce on top and shake to coat.
Add apx. 2/3 cup (or to taste) powdered sugar and shake to coat.
Enjoy!

Old 08-21-2008, 01:14 PM

www.oscarssmokedmeats.com is the smokehouse where I get my bacon (I don't get the deli meat there because it's got dextrose in it, but the bacon is awesome). I just stocked up on my bacon yesterday -- got 10 pounds, and asked them if they shipped outside the local area and they gave me the website. He said a lot of people buy their meats because they're low on additives.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:00 PM

I want to have an allergy friendly cake for my nearly 1 year old and was looking at the recipe for wacky cake.

What do people do for GF flour? I don't see any specifically GF flour mixes packaged already, so do people just mix with different ones?

thanks!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:33 PM

Well, we're off more than just gluten, so we tend to mix our own flours as a lot of the prepackaged stuff we can't have (dairy, soy, legume, etc).

If that isn't a concern for you, there are a lot of products to help with GF baking.

Bob's Red Mill all-purpose GF baking mix

Bob's Red Mill GF chocolate cake mix

Namaste Chocolate Cake

Namaste Vanilla Cake Mix

HTH!

Old 08-21-2008, 04:40 PM

I'll check them out. I guess I prefer to make my own GF flour mix. What works that you find? (we avoid dairy, eggs, nuts).

thanks!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:17 PM

I like to do a mix of brown rice and buckwheat. Can you do seeds? A good egg replacer is milled flax seeds mixed with water and then heated to form a gel. 1 tbsp of milled flax seeds to 3 tbsp water for each egg to be replaced...

A basic cake recipe could be:
2 cup GF flours (half and half rice & buckwheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup palm oil shortening
1/2 cup sugar/brown rice syrup/maple syrup
2 Tbsp flax meal (milled flax seeds) + 3 tbsp water, heated and stirred into a gel
3/4 to 1 cup rice milk or other milk sub (e.g. coconut milk) - room temperature
optional: 1 tsp vanilla or other extracts
if you can do chocolate, add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to the flour mixture

mix flours, soda & salt. in a separate bowl, mix shortening & sweetener. add flax gel and vanilla extract. Add flour mixture, stirring until all of the flour is wet. Add milk sub slowly until you reach a "batter" consistency. Bake in two greased round cake pans at 325*F for 15-30 minutes (cake layers will be done when they pull back from sides of pan and spring back to the touch in the middle. you can also do the inserting a toothpick/knife in the middle trick to see if it comes out clean.)

** if you can't do seeds, 1 or 2 bananas can be a nice egg replacer, too.

a quick and easy frosting:
1/2 cup palm oil shortening
1/4 cup milk substitute
1 to 2 tsp vanilla (or other) extract
1 to 2 cups powdered sugar (you can make your own if you are avoiding corn by blending one cup of white sugar with 1 tsp cream of tartar or tapioca starch)
1/4 cup cocoa powder if you want chocolate frosting.

cream shortening, milk sub & flavoring together. (if doing cocoa, add first before sugar) then gradually add powdered sugar until you get your desired frosting consistency. this recipe should be enough for a two layer cake top & sides plus the inside between the cake layers.

does that help?

Old 08-21-2008, 06:09 PM

thanks for the recipe!! I will try that. I am scared of giving DS seeds b/c of his peanut allergy (concern over cross-contamination?) so I'll try it with bananas. I think all the other ingredients should be fine for him! I have those flours at home too, so shouldn't need to get any new ingredients! sweet! I will let you know how it turns out. He's never had cocoa but I eat vegan chocolate so it doesn't seem to affect him through BM, so I'll prob. try it with cocoa!

thanks!
melissa
Old 08-21-2008, 11:32 PM

This is an awesome chocolate cake by Dreena. I swear by it. It's vegan, GF and NF. Contains soy milk though (and unrefined sugar).
I just made it yesterday for DH's birthday. A good time was had by all.
MIL took some home and her bf (a chef) had no idea it was vegan and/or GF.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 08-24-2008, 02:46 PM

These are scrumptious!!!
Absolutely delicious I have never tasted anything GF that tastes this close to a real cupcake! I got the recipe from marthastewart.com and I used special dark baking cocoa and it tastes like a devil dog I also just switched out Beths all purpose GF baking flour at the same amount.

Here it is. I hope you enjoy

Ingredients

Makes 1 dozen cupcakes

* 1 1/2 cups cake flour (I switched to GF with no problem)
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup cocoa powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 tablespoon white vinegar
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* 1 1/4 cups water

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water until well combined. Add flour mixture to the mixer and mix until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as necessary. Batter should look and feel more watery than normal cake batters.
4. Pour batter into prepared muffin tin, filling each cup 1/2 to 3/4 full. Transfer to oven and bake, rotating pan halfway through cooking, until a cake tester inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Immediately remove cupcakes from muffin tin and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool completely before frosting.

Divvies Vanilla Frosting:
Makes enough for 1 dozen cupcakes

* 1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1/2 cup dairy-free margarine, chilled
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* 1 tablespoon rice milk

Directions

1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, margarine, salt, and vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as necessary.
2. Add rice milk and continue mixing until well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary. With the mixer running, slowly add remaining 1/2 cup confectioners sugar, mix until well combined. Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, up to one week.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:03 AM

Does anyone have any idea where I can get a milk-free, soy-free margarine? I'm new to this and I've seen this in my cookbook, but don't know where to find it.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the recipe--it sounds delicious!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin.benavidez View Post
Does anyone have any idea where I can get a milk-free, soy-free margarine? I'm new to this and I've seen this in my cookbook, but don't know where to find it.
I've been wondering that myself as all of the gfcf margarines I find are soy based.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Try Beeler's brand, if you can find it. No garlic. SO HAPPY!!!!!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 09-01-2008, 10:39 AM

I found 2 brands: Benecol (available at my local grocery store, but only so-so) and Mother's brand margarine. It is kosher, so you have to look at either a kosher grocery, around passover time and stock up, or somewhere there is a large concentration of jewish people, but its really good, and completely dairy adn soy free.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin.benavidez View Post

I use Spectrum organic shortening. The ingredient list: mechanically pressed organic palm oil. I love it! I get it at my local natural food store.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Try Beeler's brand, if you can find it. No garlic. SO HAPPY!!!!!
Oh my. I love you. So, so, so much. :

Old 09-01-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuansprincess View Post
I use Spectrum organic shortening. The ingredient list: mechanically pressed organic palm oil. I love it! I get it at my local natural food store.
Us, too. It's good as a spread (it's slightly sweet) and very good for frying/sauteing and for baking. It's more expensive than butter (organic, even), but it's worth it.

User Tag List