Allergen-free recipes and meal ideas! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 483 Old 09-12-2008, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I do rice bowls -- cooked jasmine rice with diced cucumber, carrots, and avocado, with a little rice vinegar and salt & pepper. I started doing it after my sushi fell apart one day that I was trying to make, and I gave up and just put everything together in the bowl (except the seaweed, because it was annoying me). But I haven't had it in a while.... thanks for reminding me!!

Has anyone tried to use millet in cornmeal type recipes, like cornbread and cornmeal mush and polenta? I was making millet pancakes for DS this morning, and to me, millet flour is very similar to cornmeal in texture. I figure in the cornbread, I could use sorghum instead of wheat flour. Anyone experimented already?
I haven't tried it, but someone told me a while back that you can throw some cooked millet on an oven safe skillet, throw it in the oven for a bit, and it comes out like cornbread. (oh- whole millet, not the flour.) Probably want to mix some salt and honey or something in for some extra flavor. But yeah- I bet the flour would would great for that too!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#182 of 483 Old 09-15-2008, 10:47 PM

I finally had to get creative on my TED and since I am having sugar now...
pear crisp (good for people with many allergies!):

5 large pears, peeled and cut into strips
brown sugar (or natural sugar, whatever you like)
oil (of your choice)
rice flour

preheat oven to 375, oil baking pan (I used 9' circle), cut pears and toss with a sprinkling of sugar and a little flour.
In a small bowl mix equal parts (I used 1/4 cup each) sugar, oil, rice flour, and then sprinkle on top of pears.
bake 50 min or until bubbly. serve warm with rice milk on it!
yummy!

Mama to one tween, one toddler, 2 cats & 3 silly hens...
#183 of 483 Old 09-16-2008, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ever since I've been using millet flour, I've been reminded of corn muffins, so here's what I did:

1/4 c. millet flour
3/4 c. millet meal (my idea was to use 1 c. millet flour but I didn't have enough in my cupboard)
1 c. sweet sorghum flour
1 Tbs. corn-free baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. palm shortening
2 Tbs. maple cream (or other sweetener)
1 tsp. white wine vinegar (or other vinegar)
1 c. water
1 Tbs. milled flax + 3 Tbs. water (microwaved on high 1 minute)

Combine dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients. Stir. Put into 12 paper/foil lined muffin tins. Bake 375 for 15-18 minutes.

They were a little crumbly (I expected that since I don't like the gelatin consistency and I can't use xanthan or guar gum) but they were EXCELLENT in taste. I put some cherry preserves on them (no corn syrup there) and it was the best breakfast I'd had in a long time. DS gobbled his down and asked for one in his lunchbox.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#184 of 483 Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 AM

1 can of coconut milk
1 tsp. ground ginger
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. corn-free vanilla extract
2 Tbs. coconut oil
1 tsp. tapioca starch

Mix 1/4 c. of the coconut milk with the 1 tsp. of tapioca starch. Heat the remaining coconut milk and dissolve sugar in it. Add rest of ingredients. When it has just started to boil, remove from heat and stir in the tapioca slurry. Cool. Right before putting it in ice cream maker, use a hand mixer for 3 minutes to put more air into it.

To me, it tastes like eggnog. It's great out of the ice cream maker. For me, it got too hard when leftovers were put in the freezer (not that there was much leftover, but I wanted to see what it did). This is the recipe I was making over the summer.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#185 of 483 Old 09-16-2008, 03:05 PM

does anyone have a good recipe for homemade veggie burgers/veggie cakes?? I love the whole foods veggie burgers in their salad section. I think they're made with br. rice, bulgur wheat/wheat berries, maybe potato?
#186 of 483 Old 09-17-2008, 10:15 PM

tonight we had salmon, broccoli & mashed potatoes made canola oil & a combo of brown rice milk and hempmilk. they came out delicious!! DS was in heaven! finally found some more foods he likes

for lunch I made 'fried rice' with leftover brown rice, canola oil, coconut oil, coconut flakes, mango (frozen) chunks & peas.

still on a mission for homemade veggie burgers. i may try and imitate the whole foods kind - with maybe some of my leftover mashed potatoes, brown rice, bulgur wheat & some spices. any suggestions?
#187 of 483 Old 09-18-2008, 09:55 PM

Squash Soup

1 med. acorn squash, cubed (could probably use butternut instead)
2 Tbs. minced vidalia onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. parsley
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Put in pot with just enough water to cover (mine took 2 1/2 c. water). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until soft. Add 1 c. carrot juice. Using hand mixer, beat until smooth.

Now it tasted just fine like that, but I wanted mine a little creamier, so I added 1/2 c. coconut milk. And it was delicious. My kids didn't like it of course so I ate most of it with the following flatbread.

Flax-Buckwheat Flatbread

2 c. light buckwheat flour
1 Tbs. corn-free baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/3 c. milled flax + 1 c. water (microwaved on high 1 minute or sit out 10 minutes)
1/3 c. water
1/2 c. olive oil
Mix together. Pat out onto greased cookie sheet or jelly roll pan until it is about 1/2" thick or a little less. Sprinkle on 1/2 c. sliced olives, 1 tsp. oregano, and 1/2 tsp. cumin. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

It tasted like a cross between a good herb cracker and a flatbread to me. And it solves the problem of my squash casserole too. I'm going to use the leftovers in that! And again, I loved the flatbread. My kids didn't. I struck out tonight for them. But I had an excellent meal!

#188 of 483 Old 09-20-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Egg alert!! These are pretty low-allergenicity EXCEPT for the egg.... so maybe someone can brainstorm another way to make the paint (and replace the egg in the cookies.) This is from a 1957 Betty Crocker cookbook, and one of my favorite recipes to make as a kid. It's so much fun to paint a cookie!!

Paintbrush cookies (in my own words, to avoid copyright)

1/3 c. soft shortening (you could totally use Spectrum palm shortening for this)
1/3 c. sugar
1 egg
2/3 c. honey
1 t. vanilla
2-3/4 c. sifted flour
1 t. soda
1 t. salt

Mix together shortening, sugar, egg, honey, and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. Chill.

Roll out on floured pastry cloth to 1/4" thickness, and cut into shapes.

Set on cookie sheet and paint (egg yolk paint listed below).

Bake 8-10 minutes at 375.

Egg Yolk Paint:
Blend 1 egg yolk and 1/4 t. water. Divide mixture into cups and add different colors to each. If paint thickens, just add a little water. Use small paintbrushes to 'paint' cookies.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#189 of 483 Old 09-20-2008, 08:57 PM

I'm thinking arrowroot or tapioca flour whisked with water or rice milk to replace the egg yolk paint?

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#190 of 483 Old 09-24-2008, 11:42 AM

I followed the recipe on the back of Bob's Red Mill Sweet Sorghum Flour for Sorghum Scones EXCEPT I deleted 3 ingredients, added 1 ingredient, substituted 4 ingredients, so that it would be corn, dairy, and egg free (it was already gluten free) and changed the directions. So is it the same recipe? :

Sorghum Biscuits

1 1/4 c. sweet sorghum flour
1/2 c. tapioca flour
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
4 Tbs. maple syrup
4 Tbs. palm shortening
2 Tbs. milled flax + 6 Tbs. hot water (microwaved on high for 1 minute or let stand 1 minute)
1 tsp. corn-free vanilla
2/3 c. coconut milk yogurt

Mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Put in freezer for 10 minutes. Bake in 400F oven for 12-15 minutes.

These were really good with cherry jam on them (the kind that's sweetened with fruit juice). DD liked them. If I don't eat them all before then, DS can try one after school!!

#191 of 483 Old 09-24-2008, 05:42 PM

(If you can't do fish, sub in your favorite cooked and shredded meat...)

1lb rice noodles - we like the brown rice fusilli
2 6oz cans of safe tuna (JUST water packed)
1 1/2 cups diced mushrooms
5 Tbsp rice flour
5 Tbsp palm oil shortening (or other safe oil)
1/2 tsp sea salt
pinch pepper
2 cups water or fish stock (or other stock to match your meat choice)
a couple handfuls of safe rice crisp cereal - we like erewhon
a few handfuls of nutritional yeast, if you can have it.

1. Start water boiling for noodles.
2. In a med saucepan, melt oil, add flour, salt & pepper, stirring. simmer until bubbling.
3. add mushrooms & water/stock. simmer until it has thickened to your desired thickness.
4. prepare noodles according to directions, drain & rinse.
5. preheat oven for 350*F
6. put noodles in two large casserole dishes.
7. mix one can of tuna into each dish.
8. mix in half of flour mixture over each dish.
9. sprinkle top with crushed cereal & nutritional yeast. salt to taste.
10. bake in oven for roughly 20 minutes - until the sauce is bubbly and the top is crispy.

(If you can do potatoes, crumbled up chips on top are heavenly.

#192 of 483 Old 09-28-2008, 12:22 AM

http://viveleveganrecipes.blogspot.c...te-cake-2.html

Contains xanthan and cocoa.
Rice based.
VERY yummy!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#193 of 483 Old 09-28-2008, 01:24 AM

: subbing
#194 of 483 Old 10-03-2008, 10:44 AM

I've been trying to incorporate more fermented foods into our diet to help with digestion. The Weston A. Price foundation says:
"Many sources say raw fermented foods are beneficial to the digestive system by increasing the healthy flora in the intestinal tract or creating the type of environment for them to flourish. Sauerkraut and its juice are traditional folk remedies for constipation. Fermentation actually increases nutrient values in the cabbage, especially vitamin C. Fermented foods are also said to facilitate the breakdown and assimilation of proteins. They have a soothing effect on the nervous system."

1 2-3 lb. pork roast
4 strips bacon, chopped
2 c. saurkraut
1/2 vidalia onion
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
bay leaf
2 Tbs. maple sugar
1 c. water

Put pork roast in crockpot (mine was half frozen still). Put saurkraut on top of roast. Saute the onions and bacon in 1 Tbs. olive oil until brown. Pour that on top of saurkraut. Add bay leaf, garlic and maple sugar. Pour water on top. Cook on low 8-10 hours.

Just so you know, my kids didn't like it. I had 3 helpings and DH had two. It was an excellent grown-up meal. The sauerkraut really mellowed in the crockpot. And the meat was very tender.

#195 of 483 Old 10-03-2008, 10:46 AM

And because I can't stop playing with my recipes... here's my third rice pudding recipe.

1 1/2 c. cooked rice (I use jasmine or basmati)
1 14-oz. can coconut milk
1/2 vanilla bean (split and scraped, but stick the whole thing in; this is because I didn't have any corn-free vanilla, or I would have just added a tsp. of that)
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmet
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. shredded (unsweetened) coconut

Put all in pot. Heat 15 minutes. It will thicken. Remove vanilla bean. Cool 10 minutes if you don't want to burn your mouth!! DD and I ate the whole batch before it got cool.

#196 of 483 Old 10-03-2008, 10:46 AM

That sounds yummy Kathy. FWIW, though, I've heard that sauerkraut shouldn't be cooked because it kills the beneficial bacteria. If that's not true, I will be happy, because the only way DH & the kiddos will eat sauerkraut is if it's cooked...

#197 of 483 Old 10-03-2008, 12:05 PM

I'll have to check that out about the sauerkraut.

I also forgot that I made this last night for a meeting:

10 oz. Coconut Milk Yogurt
1 Tbs. dill weed
1/2 Tbs. minced onion
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Mix. Chill for at least a couple hours. Mine stayed thick even when it started getting warm. I did celery, mushrooms, and little carrots to dip in it. Most people didn't even realize it was "special". It didn't taste coconut-y.

I just did a quick look and it said that "live culture" foods where you're eating the bacteria (like yogurt, and yes, sauerkraut) -- you're right, heating kills the good bacteria. Darn. I don't like it cold so I thought that was a way to get it in me. Oh well, it still TASTED good!

#198 of 483 Old 10-03-2008, 10:50 PM

By 140* all the beneficial enymes are dead. They start dying off at 114*. Thats why dehydrators are so great if you have an hour to heat foods up that way.
#199 of 483 Old 10-04-2008, 09:33 PM

No really, they're fabulous.

1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup palm oil shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar (or honey or maple syrup, etc)
1/2 cup pureed squash/pumpkin
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp tapioca starch
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 tsp sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 350*F
2. Melt shortening
3. Stir in cocoa until well mixed
4. Stir in sugar/sweetener
5. Stir in squash & vanilla
6. In a separate dish, mix rice flour, tapioca starch and sea salt
7. Add flour mixture to cocoa mixture, stirring just until all dry ingredients are wet
8. Pour batter into a greased 8x8 glass pan
9. Bake for 30 or so minutes at 350*F (you will know it's done when a knife or toothpick poked into the center comes out clean)
10. Enjoy

#200 of 483 Old 10-05-2008, 10:10 PM

Best. Ever. So, so, so good.

Ingredients:
1lb organic, free-range chicken thighs
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cups sliced mushrooms
3 medium carrots
1 medium turnip
1 medium sweet potato
1 head broccoli florets
salt & pepper
1 pint chicken bone broth

1. Saute salted & peppered chicken thighs, remove from pan
2. Saute onions & mushrooms in the same pan as chicken, return chicken thighs and add some stock to cover, simmer with lid on
3. Boil peeled and cubed carrots, turnips, sweet potatoes and broccoli florets
4. Strain veggies and reserve water
5. Peel and cube potatoes, boil in reserved veggie water (add stock to cover potatoes).
6. Puree potatoes and their water in a food processor (add salt as it's running)
7. Layer ingredients in a large casserole pan (I used a 9x13 pan) as follows: chicken cut into bite-sized pieces; onions, mushrooms & stock; broccoli, carrots, turnips, sweet potatoes; pureed potatoes
8. Bake at 350*F for 20-30 minutes (until bubbling around edges)

#201 of 483 Old 10-06-2008, 08:35 AM

Is it a pot pie (crust)? Or a shepherd's pie (potato layer on top)? I was waiting for a crust.... while I was drooling.

#202 of 483 Old 10-06-2008, 09:44 AM

So that's why FIL exclaimed "Shepherd's Pie" when he saw it. LOL

It's potatoes on top. Grain-free (no crust).

ALTHOUGH, I have made quiche before with homemade hashbrowns as the crust. You could do that for the shepherd's/pot pie. :

We just had leftovers for breakfast. It is so good.

#203 of 483 Old 10-06-2008, 02:11 PM

1lb organic, free-range chicken thighs
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cups sliced mushrooms
3 medium carrots
1 medium turnip
1 medium sweet potato
1 head broccoli florets
salt & pepper
1 pint chicken bone broth

Let's see, if I want to make it for both my kids... I have to use pork (should I try to find it ground? or cooked so much that it shreds? I can't use turnip. And I can use carrots and broccoli as long as I don't use them on the other days of the rotation. But what could I use in place of the broth -- just water and add seasonings? DD can't have beef and DS can't have chicken/turkey. I think I'll try it in ... 3 days.

#204 of 483 Old 10-06-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Let's see, if I want to make it for both my kids... I have to use pork (should I try to find it ground? or cooked so much that it shreds? I can't use turnip. And I can use carrots and broccoli as long as I don't use them on the other days of the rotation. But what could I use in place of the broth -- just water and add seasonings? DD can't have beef and DS can't have chicken/turkey. I think I'll try it in ... 3 days.
For the pork, I would use ground. You can season the meat however you would like (and then you can just use water in place of the stock and you won't be missing out on flavor). Can you use mushrooms? I found the mushrooms and the onions to make a sort of gravy when fried with the chicken juices. You could always brown the pork and add mushrooms & onions and some spices and water and let simmer down. I know one or more of your LOs can't do potatoes... Do you have a potato-like substitute? Are you guys all dairy-free? (Otherwise, you could do cheese. *drool*).

#205 of 483 Old 10-06-2008, 03:12 PM

Not to be a fuddy duddy, but how do I unsubscribe to a thread? This one's making me sick presently. Heh. (No offense intended. I'm sure the recipes would normally sound wonderful.)

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#206 of 483 Old 10-06-2008, 03:35 PM

i remember that 24/7 queasy feeling.

Go to the top of this thread. In the upper right hand corner you'll see "thread tools" click on this and then choose "unsubscribe."

#207 of 483 Old 10-06-2008, 04:23 PM

My kids can do sweet potatoes, and Whole Foods makes a sweet potato that's a lighter color and not as sweet, so I'd use that one for the topping. When I go to Whole Foods this week, I'll stock up on supplies for this one!! I'm trying to find canning recipes for dilled carrots and pickled beets. I'm going to try to make them with white wine vinegar (since kids can't do corn, wheat, or rice). But I'm trying to figure out safe spices as well.

I remember that nauseous all the time feeling as well, and I threw up allllllll the time. I had it with #1 for the first 4 months, 24 hours a day, and nothing helped. Interestingly, she has no food intolerances. The other two, I felt a little nauseous, but never threw up, and they both have lots of intolerances. I wonder if there's any connection. Of course, that's not what this thread is about. Just a ponderance.

#208 of 483 Old 10-06-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
My kids can do sweet potatoes, and Whole Foods makes a sweet potato that's a lighter color and not as sweet, so I'd use that one for the topping.
Cool. That actually sounds fantastic. I'm not so keen on potatoes around here. I'm still not certain that we're okay with them...

Quote:
I'm trying to find canning recipes for dilled carrots and pickled beets. I'm going to try to make them with white wine vinegar (since kids can't do corn, wheat, or rice). But I'm trying to figure out safe spices as well.
Have you considered just doing cultured/fermented veggies? (A LA nourishing traditions and several other books...) my kids scarf down my fermented dill pickles. no vinegar added.

Quote:
I remember that nauseous all the time feeling as well, and I threw up allllllll the time. I had it with #1 for the first 4 months, 24 hours a day, and nothing helped. Interestingly, she has no food intolerances. The other two, I felt a little nauseous, but never threw up, and they both have lots of intolerances. I wonder if there's any connection. Of course, that's not what this thread is about. Just a ponderance.
Not to go too OT, but this is interesting (spin-off?)... I had the super queasy but no puking with both kiddos. I also was a MAJOR gluten and dairy fiend in the first trimester with both. It was all that sounded good. (homemade) Mac and cheese, quesadillas, etc quite a bit, in fact. I think that reflects on my own sensitivities, truthfully. And the pregnancy-yeast connection. The hormonal changes allow the yeast to proliferate. And then I became a slave to my yeast-y overlords and my allergy-addiction cycle. The next time I have a kiddo (TTC in about a year or so) it will be VERY interesting to compare...

#209 of 483 Old 10-08-2008, 07:27 PM

I wanted everything in one pot (I'm getting lazy).

1 roasting chicken
2 Tbs. olive oil (or any other kind of oil)
1 tsp. oregano
sea salt
freshly ground pepper
4 carrots, peeled, cut into 1" chunks
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, and cut into 2" chunks
1/4 Vidalia onion, cut in quarters (optional)
1/4 head of cauliflower (optional)
1 c. water
1/4 c. carrot juice

Preheat oven to 375F
Put chicken in ovenproof pot and slather with oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano. Roast for 15 minutes.
While that's cooking, prepare veggies.
After your 15 minutes are up, add water and carrot juice to the roasting pan. Then put in vegetables. Cook for 15 minutes covered. Then uncover and cook an additional hour.

Remove chicken and vegetables to platter. Put pot on medium pot with drippings/water/carrot juice that's left. Make a slurry of 1/4 c. sweet potato flour and 1/4 c. water. When drippings are boiling, add slurry and whisk until smooth. Add chicken broth (or water) until gravy is desired consistency.

I've been having good luck with the sweet potato flour as the gravy thickener. It's not as lumpy as sorghum and it's not as gel-y as tapioca starch. I was getting sick of plain steamed cauliflower. The carrot juice gave the vegetables a nice flavor.

Also if anyone has done the granola bars using the Nutty Flax cereal that's on my blog, today I added 1/4 c. cocoa to it, and it was just the right amount of sweetness (I used peanut butter instead of almond butter because we have 4 open jars of peanut butter for some reason).

#210 of 483 Old 10-08-2008, 11:30 PM

3 lg sweet potatoes, cut lengthwise and sliced to 1/3 inch
2-3 Tbsp Canola Oil
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp(ish) salt

Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a large baking sheet. Put sliced sweet potatoes in large bowl. Cover with oil and toss. Sprinkle on spice mixture, tossing often. Sprinkle on salt. Place in a single layer in baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, turning sweet potatoes after about 15 minutes.

I forgot about these over the summer but now I swear I could eat them every night. These are also good cold in lunches the next day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page