Allergen-free recipes and meal ideas! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 483 Old 12-07-2008, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mmmmm.....I frequently make my own "peanut butter cups". it involves putting a heaping spoonful of p.b. into a bowl and pouring lots of enjoy life chocolate chips on it. make sure to get a good ratio in each bite.
that recipe looks DELICIOUS though - probably have to try it.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#242 of 483 Old 12-08-2008, 01:37 AM

Delicious gluten free bread recipe, my husband BEGS for this...

1 cup quinoa flour
1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
3/4 cup arrowroot
1 TB xanthan gum
1/8 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Mix together and set aside.

6 TB dry milk powder
1 TB yeast
3 TB Ener-G Egg Replacer
1 tsp cider vinegar
3 TB canola
1 2/3 cups warm water
Combine in electric mixer bowl. Add dry ingredients from above
and whip on medium for three minutes. Raise in loaf pan for 45 minutes.
Bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes. Enjoy!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#243 of 483 Old 12-09-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liea View Post
Heat 1/2 c brown rice syrup to 240 degrees, stirring constantly.

Mix in 2 1/2 cups "stuff" such as:

1 3/4 cup coconut
1/2 cup crushed almonds
1/4 cup cut up dried mango

It will be hard to mix. Be persistant!

Smash into a greased pan or tupperware with oiled hands or with wax paper over your hand (this is super sticky stuff!) I used a 6x10 tupperware, but you can use anything it just depends on how thick you want the bars.

Immediately dump out onto wax paper to thoroughly cool. Cut with a greased knife. They can stay at room temp in a tupperware for a few days, but I think they should be refrigerated long term.
Hi, I was wondering, what is rice syrup?
#244 of 483 Old 12-09-2008, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_Aya View Post
Hi, I was wondering, what is rice syrup?
Kind of like corn syrup, but made from brown rice. Comes in a jar. You can find it at most health food stores.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#245 of 483 Old 12-09-2008, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So I was trying to make fruitcake yesterday. I think the recipe itself was a failure. BUT in making it, I tried to make sweetened condensed milk using coconut milk, and it turned out FANTASTIC. 3 c. coconut milk + 1/2 c. palm sugar (you can probably use any kind of sugar, but I was making it safe for both kids). And boil at med. low until it is half the volume that it started. And I was reading on the Eagle Sweetened Condensed Milk site, that you can make caramel by just boiling down the condensed milk, so I have to see if I can do that with the coconut milk version as well. Now I'm thinking I can make fudge, and pie, and all sorts of things. It opens up all sorts of possibilities.

My rum balls came out too sweet, so I have to perfect that recipe before I post it. They need to be more milk chocolatey (for me) and they were more dark chocolatey so I have to work on that.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#246 of 483 Old 12-09-2008, 10:20 PM

The stew I made tonight was soooooooooooooo good, if I do say so myself (and DS agreed, but DD1 said ick and made herself some hot dogs in crescent rolls). And I attempted dumplings again. I ate 3. DS ate the rest and declared them "THE BEST".

1/2 c. sweet potato starch
1/2 c. light buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. corn-free baking powder
2 Tbs. milled flax + 6 Tbs. hot water (let stand 5-10 minutes)
3 Tbs. palm shortening
1/4 c. carrot juice

Mix the dry ingredients. Andd shortening and the flax-water goo. Mix. Add carrot juice. Mix well. Chill for 5-10 minutes in the freezer. Roll into balls. Drop in boiling stew. Put lid on and cook for 10 minutes.

Note: If you can do eggs, they might make them fluffier. If you can do rice milk, that would probably be fine instead of the carrot juice. DS can't do any of the alternative milks besides coconut milk and that seemed like too strong a taste for me.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#247 of 483 Old 12-09-2008, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuasmom16 View Post
Lamb meatballs (adapted from Kathy's recipe for mini meatball soup)

1 pound ground lamb
1/2 cup smashed rice chex (or crackers or bread)
2 Tbl hemp milk (or ricemilk)
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp parsley
dash salt & pepper

mix together, form into 3/4" balls, bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
they are moist & delish, slightly crunchy with the rice chex
DS loves them!
Thanks for posting this! I'm not a big lamb fan, but it's on our good list so I finally bought some lamb when I saw this recipe figuring there'd be enough spices in it to balance out the strong flavor of lamb and I loved it! I used leftover GF bread, instead of rice chex, that I'd made for T-Day to use as stuffing, had leftovers and crushed it into crumbs. Yum!
Thanks again! :

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#248 of 483 Old 12-11-2008, 01:13 PM

Glad you like them!! We make them a lot now! Thanks goes to Kathy who created the original recipe! She has lots of great recipes on her website:
kathysrecipebox.com
:
#249 of 483 Old 12-18-2008, 02:07 AM

Just found this gem but haven't had a chance to peruse it yet.
Posting here more so I don't lose it than anything.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#250 of 483 Old 12-18-2008, 03:48 PM

Okay, I told you I'd try to make fudge. Next time I'll bring it to the right temperature, but my back hurt and I'd been standing there for a couple hours making things, so I quit. It still tastes really good. It's just that it gets soft when it's out of the fridge. I quit ar 224F. I was trying to get to 240F (soft ball stage). It takes a couple hours to make the "sweetened condensed milk" and then at least another hour to make the fudge. So you really have to have a craving for this one. On the other hand, last night DS had 3 pieces, and DD2 had 2 pieces. And DS asked for a piece in his lunchbox as well. So that's the upside. I want them to have treats during the holiday!!

To make the "sweetened condensed milk", mix 2 14-oz cans of coconut milk, + 1/2 c. sugar (I used palm sugar so both my kids could have it). Heat over low/med-low until it's reduced to about half it's volume (about an hour and a half), stirring occasionally.

In another pan, combine 12 Tbs. cocoa + 14 Tbs. palm sugar (or other sugar) and 1/2 c. palm shortening. Heat until just combined. If you can do the Enjoy Life chocolate chips, then just use 12 oz. of chocolate chips (DS can't have cane sugar, so I did it this way to sub the palm sugar.

Combine 2 c. of the "sweetened condensed milk" and either chocolate chips or the cocoa-shortening-sugar mixture and 1/8 tsp. sea salt + 3 Tbs. palm shortening + 1/2 c. palm sugar (or other sugar). Heat to 240F (soft ball stage). Stir in 1 tsp. corn-free vanilla or 1/2 tsp. ground vanilla. Now I don't know if this next part is necessary but it looked to me like it was separating, so I let it cool for 10 minutes, then I added 3 Tbs. palm shortening and 1/2 c. more condensed milk, then I beat it with a hand mixer for 30 seconds. Then I let it stand for another 10 minutes, then I beat it for another 30 seconds. Then I poured it into a 9x9" pan that I'd greased with coconut oil. I put ground walnuts on half of them (because I like nuts; kids don't).

I would use an 8x8" pan next time (except that I don't have one!!) so that they were thicker. This is VERY creamy fudge. Tastes like milk chocolate. And not grainy at all. But it melts in your hands or if you leave the pan out very long. That's why next time, I'd definitely wait until the 240F mark. That being said, I made it yesterday afternoon (while DD2 got into a GALLON of white paint in the basement and painted our good double rocker, the wood floor, and some other stuff) and half the pan is gone today. If someone else makes it and takes it all the way up to 240, let me know how it turns out. I have to wait until my shipment of palm sugar comes in since I used up all mine. Also, since I made extra of the sweetened condensed milk, I made a frosting out of it too -- no measurements -- sweetened condensed milk, palm shortening, and corn-free confectioners sugar. It was pretty good on the carrot cake muffins I made yesterday (though I like the coconut milk yogurt frosting better - but I'm waiting for my new starter too).

Added: I got my batch of palm sugar, so I decided to make some more of this awesome fudge. Well, I got it up to 240F this time. ICK. It smells burnt, tastes oily (it is definitely NOT homogenous). I just wasted 3 hours making this nasty gooey glop that is inedible. Ugh. Next time, I'll leave it at 224F like I did the first time. Just in case anybody was going to try it!!

#251 of 483 Old 12-19-2008, 12:31 PM

Since it was requested...we have a twinkie pan from bed, bath and beyond, but I've heard you can make your own molds from wrapping foil around a spice bottle. Obviously, make sure all your ing are safe for your allergies. Preheat to 350*

1 cup butter (butter flavored crisco works as well)
1 and 1/4 cup sugar
3 eggs (I've never used a replacement)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 and 1/2 GF flour mix
(we use 2 cups white rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca)
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp xanthum gum
1 cup milk (soy works well)

Cream sugar, butter and vanilla for one minute
Add eggs, one at a time, blending well for at least one minute
Add dry ingredients, blend for at least three minutes
Pour into prepared pan, nearly to top of the mold
Bake 20 minutes, cake should be springy.

Filling
We use the boiled frosting recipe I mentioned before, but my mom uses this
2 tsp hot water
1/4 tsp salt
7 oz ricemallow creme
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Dissolve salt in hot water and cool.
Combine all other ingredients, beat on high until fluffy
Add salt water and mix well.

To fill cakes, use a straw to make three holes on the bottom of your 'twinkie', place filling into a piping bag and squirt into the cake. Honestly, we've gotten so past needing a twinkie shape that we just make a layer cake with the same ingredients.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#252 of 483 Old 12-21-2008, 06:07 PM

Mint Chocolate Cookies

DD1 was making cookies with the neighbor girl, so of course DS and DD2 wanted some as well. I wanted something "special" or Christmas-y. Not sure if I succeeded on that part (but I've been craving Junior Mints, so I did succeed on that part). But DS immediately ate 5 (I think I contained myself to only 4). DD2 wouldn't try them.

1 c. maple sugar (I'm sure you can use any kind)
1/2 c. coconut milk yogurt
1/4 c. palm shortening
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 c. canola oil (I'm scared to use my olive oil at the moment)
1/8 tsp. peppermint oil
1 1/2 c. light buckwheat flour
1/4 c. tapioca flour
1 1/2 tsp. corn-free baking powder
1/2 c. cocoa
2 Tbs. milled golden flax + 6 Tbs. water (microwaved on high 1 minute)

Mix (I used my kitchenaid, pretty quick). Refrigerate dough 1 hour. Roll into balls (about the size of a walnut in the shell). Bake at 375F for 10-12 minutes. Kind of brownie like in texture on the inside. Sort of melty and fudgy.

I have scalloped potatoes in the oven. If that one works, I'll post it (cream sauce made with palm shortening, sweet potato starch, rice milk and spices over thin sliced red potatoes and thinly sliced onions carmelized in coconut oil).

Now if only I could make bread!

#253 of 483 Old 12-21-2008, 08:49 PM

Okay, between the scalloped potatoes and the mint chocolate cookies, I feel like mooing. I don't know why I didn't think of a dairy-gluten free white sauce sooner. Now I can have creamed onions for Christmas (a tradition in DH's family).

Carmelize 1 thinly sliced vidalia onion in 2 Tbs. coconut oil until golden
Thinly slice 6 med. size red potatoes (I left the skin on; they're from my mother's garden, so I know they're organic)
White sauce:
4 Tbs. palm shortening
4 Tbs. sweet potato flour
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. sea salt
Let bubble. Then add 2 c. rice milk (I used vanilla but plain would be better).
Stir until thickened and bubbly.

Layer half of potatoes, then half of carmelized onions. Repeat. Pour white sauce over all. Put in covered casserole, and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Then remove lid, and bake another 30 minutes.

I served mine with ham. DD2 loved the potatoes (though she wanted the skins removed). DH never liked scalloped potatoes, and I was making him and DD1 pizza anyway, so I could eat most of them (and did). I have just enough left over for tomorrow's lunch.

#254 of 483 Old 12-30-2008, 05:20 PM

New Buckwheat cupcake recipe. Pretty much every-thing free.

2 c. Buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt

1/2 c. palm oil shortening
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract (can get the glycerin version if corn is an issue)

2 med pears, peeled, cored & diced; boiled in 1 cup water

4 tsp arrowroot powder mixed with 2 Tbsp water = "arrowroot slurry"

Set pears & water to boil.

In a large bowl, cream shortening & sugar (may need to warm up shortening first). Add vanilla.

In another bowl, mix flour, soda & salt. Add dry mixture to shortening mixture in the first bowl.

Once pears have boiled for a couple minutes, remove from heat. Pour arrowroot slurry into pears & water while stirring. Allow to sit for a few minutes (throwing it in the freezer isn't a bad idea if you don't want to wait).

Add pear/arrowroot mixture to batter, stirring until well mixed. Batter may get glue-y (like over-worked wheat flour, but that's just what buckwheat does, IME).

I used a silicon mini muffin tray plus 2 greased aluminum mini muffin trays. (Yield: 28 mini muffins/cupcakes).

Bake at 350 for 30-45+ minutes (the silicon ones took longer, but were nice and golden around the edges/bottom).

We mixed a dollop of shortening plus some maple syrup and mixed it into a creamy "frosting". We cut the muffins in half like "sandwiches" and made snack cakes.

If you could have chocolate, this would make a faboo chocolate cupcake. :

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#255 of 483 Old 01-15-2009, 10:02 AM

I even remembered to take pictures for my blog!

1 c. sorghum flour
1 c. light buckwheat flour
3/4 c. sweet potato starch
1/2 c. tapioca starch
4 tsp. guar gum
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 c. palm sugar (can probably use any sweetener; this is so both kids can have it)
1 tsp. sea salt
2 1/4 tsp. instant yeast (I prefer this to active dry because it doesn't have to be proofed)
3 Tbs. milled flax + 9 Tbs. water (microwaved 1 minute on high)
1/3 c. palm shortening
1 1/2 c. almond milk (rice milk would probably work too, but DS can't have it)
1 tsp. white wine vinegar

In mixer bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Add the dry ingredients. Mix for about 3 minutes. It'll look like cake batter. Pour into greased 9x5" bread loaf pan. Let rise one hour. Bake at 375F for 55-60 minutes.

DH said "It looks like normal bread." He compared it to his mother's Anadama bread. DS had 2 slices and DD had 1 slice. This morning DS had 2 more slices for breakfast and wanted 2 more slices in his lunchbox. He didn't have anything on it. It was very moist. We haven't tried it toasted yet but we only have about 2 slices left and I really wanted a BLT for lunch so I'll let you know how it toasts. I'm thinking of going down to 2 Tbs. palm sugar next time but I want to make sure I have enough sweetener to feed the yeast. It even rose. It thumped like real bread.

#256 of 483 Old 01-16-2009, 08:21 PM

I've made them with almond butter and made them with sunflower seed butter - both were good, the sunflower butter was my favorite. I've used 1/2 honey and 1/2 sucanant and they were so good that way, but softer and more crumbly. This last time I made them I did 1/2 rice flour, 1/4 buckwheat and 1/4 sweet sorghum flours. Also, I was out of vanilla so just threw in some cinnamon.

Oatmeal-butter drops
1/2 cup sucanant
1/2 cup palm shortening
1/2 cup sun or nut butter
2 TLBS flax meal in 6 TBLS VERY HOT water - stir vigorously before adding
1/2 tsp pure vanilla
1 cup rice flour or buckwheat flour or combination
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp corn free baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups gluten free oats (if they don't say gluten free they are probably cross contaminated with wheat)

But trust me, you're gonna wish you doubled it so here:

1 cup sucatant
1 cup palm shortening
1 cup sun or nut butter
4 TLBS flax meal in 3/4 cup VERY HOT water - stir vigorously before adding
1 tsp pure vanilla
2 cups rice flour or buckwheat flour or combination
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp corn free baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 cups gluten free oats (if they don't say gluten free they are probably cross contaminated with wheat)

Heat oven to 375.
Mix sucatant, shortening, nut/sun butter, flax/water and vanilla.
Stir in remaining ingredients.
Drop by rounded spoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten slightly with a fork.
Bake about 8-10 minutes.

They will be very soft when they come out of the oven so be careful taking them off of the sheet as they fall apart. But once they cool they totally stay together like a real cookie! High in calories too I'd imagine. I took an old Betty Crocker peanut butter cookie recipe and adjusted it. Mine calls for 1/2 of the amount of sweetner as the original and it was just fine. The third time I made these I cut it almost in half again. Obviously they weren't very sweet, but still were good. They were more crumbly that time, and it was either because the texture changed without as much sucatant or because the water for my flax wasn't hot enough.

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#257 of 483 Old 01-18-2009, 02:42 PM

Yield: ~2 qt (~8 cups)

1 C dry brown rice, cooked in 2 C water - until all water absorbed. Yields 2 C cooked rice.

I had to do it in two batches in my blender:

1 C cooked rice, while it's still warm
4 C water
1 to 2 T brown rice syrup (maple syrup, honey, etc)
1 T oil/shortening/butter
2 tsp tapioca starch
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt 1/4 tsp?

Blend for several minutes - until smooth.

Pour into saucepan.

Repeat with second batch.

Once you have all of the rice puree in the sauce pan, heat until just starting to boil around edges, stirring the whole time - so tapioca doesn't get gloopy. The tapioca will thicken.

Pour through a fine mesh strainer. You have to stir the puree in the strainer so that everything can get through.

You will get about 7 or 8 cups of rice milk and about 1 or 2 cups (i was estimating) of a thick, yummy rice "porridge".

#258 of 483 Old 01-18-2009, 04:45 PM

Free from all common allergens except contains COCONUT

Wild Rice Casserole

1 c. wild rice (uncooked)
1 lbs hamburger
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can coconut milk
3/4 c. chicken broth
sea salt/pepper to taste
1 tsp sage
2 tsp tyme
hint of cloves
hint of ginger

soak rice overnight, OR bring rice to boil, remove from heat and soak an hour.
Brown hamburger, thow in onion and garlic, then rice.
Put all in 2 quart casserole, add milk, broth and spices, stir. Cover. Bake at 325 for about 1 hour and 40 minutes.

This was dry the last time I made it - probably at least 1 c chicken broth.

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#259 of 483 Old 01-20-2009, 02:40 PM

Since DS can't have rice and DD2 can't have beef, I didn't do Wugmama's recipe. I made it safe for DD2 and made DS something else.

I did not use coconut milk since I was out. And I thought about using rice milk but I only had Vanilla and that didn't sound like the right mix, so I used some of my 24-hour chicken broth that I had in the freezer. Also, no wild rice, so I used brown rice. I used one half of a chicken breast so it was a good meat stretcher too.

1 c. rice
2 stalks thinly sliced celery
1 half chicken breast, diced
1/2 c. finely minced onion
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. sea salt
2 1/2 c. chicken stock
3 Tbs. sweet potato starch (could use tapioca or arrowroot starch)
3 Tbs. palm shortening
1/2 tsp. parsley
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 c. frozen peas (I was going to use carrots but had some frozen peas to use up)

Place rice in casserole dish (mine is 8x12").
Brown diced chicken, onion, and celery in 1 Tbs. olive oil. Put in casserole dish. Add 1 c. frozen peas.
In same frypan, put 3 Tbs. palm shortening and 3 Tbs. sweet potato flour. Let bubble. Add 2 1/2 c. chicken stock and spices and bring to a boil. It will thicken slightly. Pour over everything in casserole dish. Bake at 325F for 1 hour.

DH and I loved it. DD1 was mad that she couldn't go sledding so only picked out the chicken. DD2 wasn't hungry so didn't try it. Oh well. I'm having the leftovers today though. I thought it was excellent.

#260 of 483 Old 01-30-2009, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

I did some major modifications to this recipe, and here's what I came up with:

2 c. buckwheat flour
1/2 c. palm shortening, melted
2 t. baking soda
1 t. arrowroot
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 medium zucchinis, peeled & steamed
1 c. water
1 T. vinegar - optional (I used aged kombucha for my first batch. For my 2nd batch I used nothing, and couldn't tell a difference.)
1 T. molasses

Cook at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. This recipe made about 17 muffins, with each tin filled about 3/4 full. So eventually I will tweak the recipe to actually make 2 whole pans of muffins (24)... but I might not get around to it for a while.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#261 of 483 Old 01-30-2009, 02:59 PM

Pumpkin Pancakes, inspired by this recipe: http://glutenfreemommy.com/pumpkin-pancakes/

PUMPKIN PANCAKES

1 1/4 cups GF Flour Mix (I used 1/2 cup sorghum, 1/2 cup rice flour, and 1/4 cup tapioca flour; txtarheel made these successfully with millet flour. )

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon spice (I used apple pie spice)

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 Tablespoons of brown sugar (they were pretty sweet, so you could reduce. especially if you're serving with maple syrup)

6 Tablespoons of pumpkin puree (I used rounded Tablespoons)

2 Tablespoons safe oil (I melted palm shortening)

1 cup rice milk

1 egg substitute w/ gelatin (1 scant T unflavored gelatin with 1 T cold water, mix. Immediately add 2 T boiling water and then, beat until frothy)

Recipe made 12 3-inch pancakes. YUM!
#262 of 483 Old 02-01-2009, 09:56 AM

Adapted from the Failsafe Cookbook:

Quote:
1 1/2 cups rice flour
1 tsp GF baking powder
1 1/2 tbsp arrowroot
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 ish cup water

1. mix dry ingredients
2. in sep. bowl, cream shortening, sugar & vanilla
3. blend wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
4. slowly add water until you get a good dough-y consistency

Bake @ 375*F for 20 to 25 minutes.
I use a silcone liner for my pan so they don't stick. This is like a breakthrough for my GF cookie endevours (of which there have been many). I also like to use a silcone mini muffin baking tray - 2 dozen to the tray. I use 1 tsp of batter per cookie and I get 3 dozen small (perfect-sized for kiddos) cookies.

Okay, here are my various alterations I've made depending on what's in the house:

* millet, sorghum and/or potato flour in various combinations with or instead of brown rice flour
* maple syrup and/or brown rice syrup in place of sugar
* 2pts tapioca to 2pts cream of tartar to 1pt baking soda for GF baking powder
* coffee, juice, or rice milk instead of water

Also - you can frost these, or "ice" them or whatever, and put two together like oreos. If you could do cocoa, & have a safe powdered sugar for icing, they would taste EXACTLY like oreos. ETA: you would add the cocoa to the dry mixture and then use more water. As for the icing, you could follow the buttercream recipe below, but use less water so it's more thick and sort of "dry" like the cream on a commercial oreo.

I've made a shortening frosting: 1/2 cup shortening at room temperature, stirred until creamy, stir in 1/4 cup maple syrup (or honey or brown rice syrup, or jam or coffee and vanilla or... or... or... ).

And then I've made the "vegan buttercream"

1/3 cup shortening mixed until creamy. Blend in 1 cup safe powdered sugar (Trader Joe's now sells powdered sugar w/tapioca instead of corn starch). Add water or rice milk or coffee by the table spoon until you have the right frosting consistency. Add 1 tsp vanilla. YUM!

If you throw them in the freezer for a bit after you frost them, you get a different texture.

#263 of 483 Old 02-03-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post

If you throw them in the freezer for a bit after you frost them, you get a different texture.
I'm wondering, if you throw them in the freezer, do they end up softer? I'm assuming they're usually crunchy.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#264 of 483 Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 PM

let's see - when i make them they are crunchy. i throw them in the freezer more for the frozen frosting texture than the cookie texture. i honestly can't remember how/if the cookie changed. guess i'll have to make another batch!

#265 of 483 Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post
let's see - when i make them they are crunchy. i throw them in the freezer more for the frozen frosting texture than the cookie texture. i honestly can't remember how/if the cookie changed. guess i'll have to make another batch!
I was just wondering since I've been considering trying to modify a gf "Oreo" style recipe to make a gf, df, ef, nut free ice "cream" sandwich.

#266 of 483 Old 02-03-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I was just wondering since I've been considering trying to modify a gf "Oreo" style recipe to make a gf, df, ef, nut free ice "cream" sandwich.
that's kind of what i was going for. (and you quoted my typo. oh nos!)

#267 of 483 Old 02-13-2009, 09:28 PM

Beets and Portobello Mushrooms

This is my whole family's new favorite side dish. Something about the flavor of the beets and mushrooms together is really good...

Peel beet, slice to desired thickness. Thinner will be cripsy-ish, thicker will be pliable. I do like 1/4" I think. Put in a bowl and mix with a bit of safe oil (I use safflower) and sea salt. Put on a single layer and bake at 400F between 20 - 30 minutes or longer depending on thickness. Chop and sautee portobello mushrooms in safe oil (I use safflower for this also.)

Mix mushrooms and beets together. It's that easy. Yum~
#268 of 483 Old 02-19-2009, 02:51 PM

Per request, here's my mustard recipe... be forewarned, it's not perfected (hence it not making it to my blog as I was intending to do with it ).

1/2 c water
1/2 c apple cider vinegar (I'm sure any safe vinegar would be fine- assuming it's not flavored)
1/2 c ground mustard
1 1/4 t salt
Optional:
1/4 t turmeric
1/4 t garlic powder
1 pinch paprika

Mix them all together very well in a small pot on the stove (make sure there are no lumps) and bring to a boil over medium heat. This should take about 10 minutes. The heat makes the mustard thicken and makes it less "hot" (turns it from hot mustard into ballpark mustard).
Once the mustard starts to boil, turn the heat down to medium-low and stir constantly. The mixture will slowly thicken. Start tasting the mustard about 5 minutes after turning down the temperature so that you get the right amount of spice/heat for your tastes. As soon as it reaches that point, remove it from the heat and put it into the refridgerator. Heat makes the mustard "mellow", so removal of heat as soon as you reach the desired spiciness is critical.
The garlic and the turmeric (turmeric more so than garlic) are what give this mustard it's "classic French's" flavor, imo.

#269 of 483 Old 03-12-2009, 05:55 PM

Dice 2 sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes (just so they cook a little). Drain.
Fry 5 pieces of bacon. Remove when done and drain on paper towels. Don't pour out any of that delicious grease.
Cut up about half a Vidalia or other sweet onion, and fry in the grease, with the sweet potatoes. I added sea salt and ground pepper. Your goal is golden brown, but if you can't wait, I understand. When it looks about done, crumble the bacon back into it. And add 2-3 Tbs. maple syrup. Toss around until bacon is heated back up and maple syrup has caramelized onto the sweet potatoes.
I made it once when I was out of onions, and it wasn't nearly as good without them. DS and I liked this one a lot. DD1 and DD2 wouldn't try it. We've only made it when DH isn't around and there have never been any leftovers for him to try.

#270 of 483 Old 03-12-2009, 11:26 PM

someone posted this on my blog comments--it's from totallytogetherjournal.com

Gluten, Dairy, and Egg free!
“Thin Mints”-mint chocolate wafer cookies dipped in chocolate
yields 36 cookies (mine made 70!)
for wafer:
1/4 cup butter, melted (USED SPECTRUM SHORTENING(no hydrogenated fats)-melted)
1 (16-ounce) package gluten-free brownie or chocolate cake mix (used pamelas brownie mix)
5 tablespoons milk (can use soy)- I used org. rice milk
1/4 teaspoon mint extract (GF peppermint extract)
for chocolate coating:
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (dairy free ones)
1/4 cup butter (used spectrum shortening)
1/4 teaspoon mint extract (i used more to taste)
1-3 tablespoons water
Combine Butter , brownie or cake mix, milk, and mint extract in a large mixing bowl. Stir with a fork until a ball of dough forms; it will be quite crumbly. Roll dough out 1/4-inch thick between two pieces of parchment paper. Use a 1 1/2 inch cookie cutter (or the lid from a spice container) to cut out circles of dough. Place circles on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Use the blunt end of a skewer to poke 5 holes in each cookie. Bake at 350° for 8-12 minutes. Let sit on sheet for a few minutes before moving.
When cookies have cooled, combine chocolate chips, butter, mint extract and 1 tablespoon of water. Heat in a double-boiler or in a slow cooker (I used a 4 quart crockpot) until liquidy. Stir well, and drop wafers in, one at a time, and ladle chocolate over the top. Lift coated cookie out with a fork, and chill in the refrigerator until set. If your chocolate begins to harden, reheat as needed, and add a bit more water.

---------------------
I froze the extras between wax paper in the freezer!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page