Needed: Good calcium supplement with high levels of cal. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-07-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm currently taking a calcium + mag. supplement but two capsules are only 300 mg. My health care provider just told me 1200 mg is recommended. I don't really want to choke down 8 capsules a day and not to mention my digestion really can't handle that. I'm 2 months pregnant.
I've probably should of been taking more all a long since I've been nursing ds for 2 + yrs and we don't eat dairy and other foods due to his allergies. Although once he's fully weaned in ~ 2 months I can. I do try to eat foods that I know have calcium but I don't keep track and I don't really know if 1200 mg / day is practical with non-dairy food.
So, what are so good calcium supplements with high levels of calcium, magnesium with it too would be great? I don't want other extra stuff with it.

Thanks!

x posted in nutrition and good eating too.

Mama to two kiddos on the go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-07-2008, 05:44 PM

citrical has a calcium/mag with 600 per capsule.
#3 of 6 Old 05-07-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiesgrandma View Post
citrical has a calcium/mag with 600 per capsule.
Citrical has something in it that made DD react (we're off dairy + a million other things), so I wouldn't recommend it if you're avoiding allergens. In fact, their website even says (you have to look hard to find it) that vegetarians and people with allergies should only take their Kosher version. So apparently the regular one has some sort of animal product in it.

I searched a long time for an allergen free calcium supplement and finally found one at a local health food store. It's TwinLabs Calcium Citrate Caps. It has 300mg of calcium and 150mg of magnesium (in a 2-pill serving)- oops, exactly the same dose that you already have.

But I did find (by tracking my diet in a nutrition software program) that I get around 400-600mg a day from my diet alone (which is dairy free), so you don't necessarily need to get the full 1200mg from a supplement. I think doing that would actually give you too much calcium. You could look for other calcium sources in your diet- like green veggies, even fruits and nuts.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#4 of 6 Old 05-07-2008, 10:37 PM

I highly recommend Kirkland vitamins if you have an allergic child. I use the powdered calcium that they make for baking too...and easy way to make my banana bread extra healthy . This seems to be the #1 brand for kids with food allergies. I use their probiotics, daily, prenatal and powdered calcium+vitD.
#5 of 6 Old 05-08-2008, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use Vital Nutrients (very good for allergy people -no additives). I get them through www.emersonecologics.com. 1 capsule = 200mg Cal and 100mg Mag. Also, I use EnerG baking powder, which is calcium carbonate. 1 tsp = 100% calcium (doesn't say what that is). You use twice as much as regular baking powder. It works in waffles and stuff. Do you drink Enriched rice milk? That has calcium in it, and we do a calcium rich diet here too.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#6 of 6 Old 05-09-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I'm off to look into them. Yes, we eat a calcium rich diet but I'd like more calcium in a supplement than what I'm currently getting in my Twinlab dose.

Mama to two kiddos on the go!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page