Red rash around mouth - both kids - allergic to saliva? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-10-2008, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It started in my 4 year old about mid-February; the red chapped lips - but the red spread far around the outside of his mouth, made him look like he had/has "clown lips". He was in Preschool Part Time and it was far worse the days he was there as he was outside for an hour twice a day. They days he was home, I kept lip balm on it and reminded him not to lick his lips all the time, and we didn't go out in the cold as much! : Lip balm usually helped and it usually cleared by morning.

But... now the cold weather is long gone and his lips are still red EVERY day now. He licks his lips a lot. Could he be allergic to his saliva or something? He's had no real change in his diet other than he is drinking A LOT more Rice Milk than he used to. Sometimes it worsens and turns in to red blotches all around his mouth and up near his nose after he eats certain fruits, like strawberries, mango, pineapple, etc or if he gets tomato sauce on his face. He gets a very red bum from tomatoes, which he loves. His whole face used to rash up when he was an infant if apple sauce was not thoroughly cleaned from his face. He had a yeasty bum rash once as a 2-year old.

The odd thing is that my 1 year old just started getting a rash around his mouth too, so far it's just on the bottom on one side, but that's how my older son's started. They do share juice/water all the time. He is also drooling like mad/teething so I wondered if his is just a "drool rash" if such a thing exists. Tomato sauce and apple sauce make his worse. He's had a few bad bum rashes of late.

Perhaps totally unrelated - my DH has had a "yeast-like" rash in the creases of his legs where his legs meet his torso, near his groin (but not in his groin area) - if that makes sense - on and off for the past 2-3 years. His improves with regular showering/keeping the area dry/cortisone cream.

I have had nothing remotely related to any of this and I am not prone at all to yeast infections, (the only thing I can think of is that I very occasionally had a minor rashy allergic reaction to my own sweat as a teen). Could our family have some kind of yeasty-thing or allergy to our saliva or sweat, or ??? Anyone heard of anything like this?
#2 of 4 Old 05-11-2008, 12:15 AM

Not really too sure. But both my kids get this heading into winter (which we are atm). I find that once the rash is there it's hard to clear up. Once the skin is dry it's kind of sore and they lick to make it moist and therefore carry the cycle on. So I think even though you're heading out of winter that it could carry on if they keep licking.

I have managed to clear my ds's up within a week of starting this time by applying a range of things from moisturiser and colloidal silver gel. My dd's is still there slightly, but not as raw and red looking so hopefully if I keep on about it it will clear.

I take it it's not like a cold sore? We don't have that virus in our family, so it's definitely not that here and is just a saliva type rash.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#3 of 4 Old 05-11-2008, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DS only gets a rash around his mouth as a reaction to food: soy and cocoa, in particular. It takes a week for it to go away. It doesn't matter if his seasonal allergies are acting up (when he licks his runny nose -- I know, he's gross, but he's a boy) or not. It's there if he eats soy, it's not there if he's kept clear.

What do you consider a "yeasty" rash near his bottom? Does it look different than say, an eczema rash that is usually around sweaty creases?

And the red around the anus is usually a sign of food intolerance. Tomato sauce is very acidic, as is apple sauce and pineapple.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 4 Old 05-21-2008, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

So we have eliminated tomatoes and apples/apple sauce and VOILA! No more red bum!! *happy dance*

CHOCOLATE! I have noticed that DS gets puffy eyes from chocolate. Hmmm...

His red mouth has lessened since the reduction in tomato based items too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page