Testing question? Immunolabs vs. ALCAT - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-15-2008, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've decided to get myself tested. Not sure about DS yet.

Does anyone have any thoughts about immunolabs (IgG) vs. ALCAT?

Has anyone had either covered by insurance.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#2 of 7 Old 05-15-2008, 08:41 AM

I just ordered an ALCAT test for DS (if it works, then I'll get DD and me tested as well). I didn't even think to ask if it was covered by insurance, I just assumed it wouldn't be. Duh. I just did the pediatric test (the least number of foods).
K

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 7 Old 05-15-2008, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Can I ask why you chose ALCAT? I'm curious cause that's what I'm leaning towards. I'm thinking of the 150 panel for myself.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#4 of 7 Old 05-15-2008, 08:50 AM

Isn't Immunolabs the REALLY expensive one?

I tried York Labs first (in FL). Horrible experience and never got the test.

The ALCAT test I chose was only about $275 (50 foods/10 additives/10 food colorings). I KNOW that DS is sensitive to milk, soy, cocoa, white potato, cranberry. I am now trying to figure out whether the extra food that has been bothering him is corn or red dye. So I'm testing ALCAT to see whether their test is accurate. I have no idea what I might be sensitive to, but odds are, it's something. I wanted to trial someone that I knew the answers to (mostly) first just to ensure THEIR accuracy.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#5 of 7 Old 05-15-2008, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Immunolabs isn't that expensive. In fact, I think the ALCAT is more expensive. The really expensive one was Sage Labs ($2700 for a panel). I don't have the costs of immunolabs offhand but it wasn't near that much.

Let me know how your testing goes. I haven't been feeling great but I'm only eating a few foods so I want to test myself to see if any of those are problematic. Then I might test DS.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#6 of 7 Old 05-15-2008, 10:14 AM

You're right. The Sage one was the expensive one. I've looked at so many of them the last couple months, I can't keep anything straight. I know that my digestion is better when I avoid my son's trigger foods, so I'm thinking that I caused his problems in the first place (not feeling guilt because I didn't know such a thing was possible, just that it happened), but I'm wondering if I should take out even more foods or different foods to see if that would help my chronic back pain. That's why I want to get myself tested. And I would love to know if my DD has outgrown any of hers (eliminated most of them for 18 months already, with a couple of infractions) without going through lots of screaming nights if she didn't outgrow them.

I'm just hoping that our doctor will draw his blood, even if he doesn't "believe" in the test.

Kathy

#7 of 7 Old 07-21-2008, 12:21 PM

Immunolabs testing is covered by some insurances. You would need to contact Immunolabs, or a doctor's office in your area that works with them, to get a list of the test insurance codes, then call your provider to see which, if any, of the tests are covered.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page