Rash on my baby's face---allergies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-15-2008, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 8 month old broke out in a rash on just her face about 3 weeks ago. It started on the side of her nose and one cheek and forehead and then spread over the next 3 days to cover her entire face and neck and to behind her ears.
She is breastfeed with the occasional taste of food (steamed carrots mashed with breastmilk, avocado, squash...). She has not tried anything new in 2 months nor have I changed anything with my diet so I really don't think it's a food allergy. I have been using only organic gentle baby wash and lotion on her since birth (same one) and I use chemical, frangrance free, organic laundry detergent on everything in our house.
3 days before she broke out one of my friends had used sunblock on her (yes the bad kind). So I'm pretty sure it was this. The rash is just basically tiny little bumps, not really red unless she's rubbing her face, all over. I have since tried to keep her out of the sun completely but have used some california baby sunblock without fragrance, parabens, chemicals... a few times. It never seems to make it worse but her rash is not going away. I know you're not supposed to use sunblock on babies but I have a very active 3 year old involved in lots of activities and it's impossible not to be out in the sun. I took her into a doc and of course he said he didn't know but wasn't too worried and to just come back if it wasn't cleared up within a week.
So I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar thing happen and if anything helped or if anyone has any other suggestions to what it could be or how to clear it up? Thanks!

Mama to three wonderful girls, H (9-2-04), A (8-23-07), and Q(4-24-11, our Easter baby). Married to D since (6-3-00).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-16-2008, 03:30 AM

I have been struggling with a rash on ds's face for around a week now. (Mine is 18 months old.) Have been worried it's a new intolerance. My ped. suggested I use cetaphil wash on a wash cloth to try to cleanse his whole face in case the rash is about oil or dead skin build up. I don't feel this has helped. I have seen similar issues when he's eaten wheat, which is why I think it could be a food issue. I was glad to see your post, because it is something I am concerned about.

Momma to one small person I call Smoodgie :joy.gif
#3 of 6 Old 05-16-2008, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

What does your baby's rash look like? My daughter's face is just tiny, barely noticeable bumps all over. It almost looks like really dry skin cells kind of popping out.Her cheeks get red from her drool (of course she's teething too) but otherwise it's not red anymore. It did start out red when it first appeared a few weeks ago. I've also read that allergies can just appear sometimes if the allergen has finally been exposed enough, has anyone else heard that? Maybe it is something I'm eating that she's getting?

Mama to three wonderful girls, H (9-2-04), A (8-23-07), and Q(4-24-11, our Easter baby). Married to D since (6-3-00).

#4 of 6 Old 05-16-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floiejo2 View Post
I've also read that allergies can just appear sometimes if the allergen has finally been exposed enough, has anyone else heard that? Maybe it is something I'm eating that she's getting?
This is correct as far as I understand. If your LO is intollerant to something and has been repeatedly exposed then eventually the immune system will say "enough" and start to react. It's definately possible for anyone to develop an intollerance at any point in life. If this is the case you just want to make sure you get her gut healed up so she doesn't start reacting to more and more foods. This rash doesn't seem like an obvious food thing to me but it absolutely could be. You could try cutting out dairy and soy for a few weeks and see if that helps. If the rash goes away you can then trial dairy and soy and see if the rash or other symptoms come back and then you'll know if their is an intollerance to these foods or not. You can do the same protocol with other food too....

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#5 of 6 Old 05-17-2008, 04:13 AM

really quick, just saw something in another thread about yeast die off sometimes causing baby to get a rash on their face...?

Don't have the time now to research it or search this site to find out more, but it may hold true in our situation. I definitely prefer that idea to discovering another thing I can't eat.:

Momma to one small person I call Smoodgie :joy.gif
#6 of 6 Old 05-18-2008, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

I'd like to hear more about the yeast thing. My dd's rash looks to be finally going away--i think. I've thought this before but I really think it is this time. Very slowly getting better and the bumps are starting to disappear but the skin underneath is very dry. It's been over 3 weeks since it appeared. I'm still thinking it's from the sunblock. So what do I do now, I can't just keep her completely out of the sun as our family does a lot outside. I was just getting ready to do an elimination diet but now I'm hoping I don't have too. Surely if it were an allergy to dairy or something it would not go away right?? Well when you have more time let me know what you found about the yeast thing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page