Need to cut wheat and dairy HELP!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No idea where to start. We eat whole wheat bread, pasta, use ww flour. drink lots of milk, eat yogurt, cheese, cook with butter. I'm overwhelmed. Read about hidden ingredients? Is there a list somewhere of names? help please!

Allison wife and mom to four. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
quick question first. are you really just cutting out wheat or all gluten?

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#3 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Rice pasta can very simply substitute for the whole wheat pasta. Rice cakes can sub for crackers, and for bread in some situations.

Coconut oil or vegan margarine in place of butter, or use more of other oils (olive oil, chicken fat, etc) in assorted cooking.

Rice, soy, or almond milk can sub for milk in some recipes, but I wouldnt' recomend any of them as complete subs, as nutritionally they're more like juice than milk. You're going to have to find new recipes that don't include those ingredients- in the long term that's easier than finding "fake milk, fake bread, etc." Also, if you need to cut out all gluten, some rice milks have barley malt in them- so be careful.

The best way IMO is to rely on as few packaged foods as possible, and have simple, easy meals and snacks- fresh and dried fruits, hard boiled eggs, all kinds of veggies, nuts, meats, dinners are things like a meat with a veggie and rice or quinoa on the side.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults

#4 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Just posting this so I can keep all my info in one spot. This is a cut and paste from my post in the big PDX thread:

Okay I am really overwhelmed. Am I freaking out too much about this? I could not figure out what to feed Marah for lunch. She freaked out because Maddy and Michael had PB and J. I fed her a scoop of PB, a strawberry popsicle , and an orange. Since this is just for ear infections do I need to worry about foods that say MAY contain wheat, dairy or just foods that HAVE wheat and dairy. Is there a complete list somewhere of foods that contain wheat/dairy? A list of the names of ingredients that contain wheat/dairy but would not be obvious to me? What about white flour, I found a list that said it contains wheat what kind of flour do I use? I have a 50 lb bag of flour what the heck am I going to do with it? The list also said baking powder??? So I can't even bake things for her? Where do I buy things in the list Lee suggested? How do I know how much of what to substitute for the ingredients? Seriously freaking out, I don't even know where to begin.

#5 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMary View Post
quick question first. are you really just cutting out wheat or all gluten?
Just wheat and dairy. My DD has had reoccurring ear infections for the past five months. 2 dbl and 3 one ear that were treated by our pcp for, several that we thought she had but did not take her in to get checked. We are looking into CST and a chiro on here (Thanks Korin!) has been giving me some info. She said we should cut wheat and dairy to see if that helps. The ear nose and throat dr our pcp referred us to want us to talk about our options (tubes) at the next appt.

#6 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 04:38 PM

Azure Standard, Trader Joes, Bob's Red Mill, Fred Meyer nutrician center, New Season's and maybe Whole Foods or Wild Oats...

My friend Jenn has a casien free, dairy free and gluten free diet for her whole family...I'll be stocking staples next month from Azure so let me know if you want to add anything to my order...

For Azure Standard you can sign up as a member then see the prices...
#7 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 04:39 PM

Allison, we are cutting out all gluten for the next month to see if it helps with some behavioral stuff for Keagan. Since he still nurses I am also cutting it out.

We are getting our bread from Trader Joe's - they have a Rice flour bread. The pieces are really small and dry, but it is bread. Do you have a breadmaker? You could make your own bread for cheaper than buying it for sure. I know that New Seasons has plenty of options for gluten free flours (I just bought 3 kinds on Saturday). If I remembered what they were I'd tell you - one was rice flour.

Someone suggested to me that we use corn tortillas instead of bread - their 3 year old has PB&J or ham sandwich on tortillas instead of on bread. We haven't tried that yet.

Rices are all gluten free as far as I have been able to tell (just don't buy a packaged rice, then they add stuff in to it).

There are also grains like quinoa and millet. . .lots more but again I can't remember names right now

I'd also suggest a vegan butter - there are some good ones out there. There are also vegan cheeses, sour cream, cream cheese, but I am not sure if they are gluten free.

If you are in fact doing GF instead of wheat-free here is a list for you.
http://www.csaceliacs.org/gluten_grains.php

HTH!

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#8 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsythia View Post
.I'll be stocking staples next month from Azure so let me know if you want to add anything to my order...

For Azure Standard you can sign up as a member then see the prices...
Is it cheaper to order together like a co op? Once I figure this out I would prob want a few things. Poor Marah is going to starve, ALL her regular and favorite foods have wheat/dairy.

#9 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah M View Post
Allison, we are cutting out all gluten for the next month to see if it helps with some behavioral stuff for Keagan. Since he still nurses I am also cutting it out.

We are getting our bread from Trader Joe's - they have a Rice flour bread. The pieces are really small and dry, but it is bread. Do you have a breadmaker? You could make your own bread for cheaper than buying it for sure. I know that New Seasons has plenty of options for gluten free flours (I just bought 3 kinds on Saturday). If I remembered what they were I'd tell you - one was rice flour.

Someone suggested to me that we use corn tortillas instead of bread - their 3 year old has PB&J or ham sandwich on tortillas instead of on bread. We haven't tried that yet.

Rices are all gluten free as far as I have been able to tell (just don't buy a packaged rice, then they add stuff in to it).

There are also grains like quinoa and millet. . .lots more but again I can't remember names right now

I'd also suggest a vegan butter - there are some good ones out there. There are also vegan cheeses, sour cream, cream cheese, but I am not sure if they are gluten free.

If you are in fact doing GF instead of wheat-free here is a list for you.
http://www.csaceliacs.org/gluten_grains.php

HTH!
Oh, very helpful link!
#10 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
Is it cheaper to order together like a co op? Once I figure this out I would prob want a few things. Poor Marah is going to starve, ALL her regular and favorite foods have wheat/dairy.
I'm not sure, I know there are other mama's on the co-op...ask Korin or Beth...but if you order over a certain amount it's free shipping, or you can add small amounts to their order. I think if would be good to try some stuff before ordering a bunch in bulk.
Marah will be okay...she will. I thought the same about Madden. It's so hard to wrap your mind around it at first, but you'll get there.

Oh, forgot about Oat's milk. That is another option for milk. Madden really liked that too. They also have rice crackers. Dried fruit? apples dipped in peanut butter and Jelly???

Also you can try a grocery outlet...they had some soy yogurt and they have an organic section.
Does Marah like beans?
#11 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh, very helpful link!
:

#12 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 05:03 PM

If it were me, I'd start with rice bread/rice pasta/cereal, etc. You can get these from FM nutrition center in the "gluten free" aisle. You can also find soy/rice/almond/coconut milk there. And soy cheese/ice cream, etc.

I think there's better long term solutions, but for the first week or 2 when you're just trying to figure out what to eat, it can be a bridge.

Does Marah like burritos/tacos? Use corn tortillas. Rice bread w/ PB&J. Pasta salad w/ rice pasta or another grain--we like quinoa pasta. Rice cakes instead of crackers. I've made my own crackers with ground up oats, but don't worry about all the new recipes at once. Just get some "fake" stuff to buy you time while you research.

Someone suggested that we try Gluten free for L's strabismus (eye thing).
Haven't decided if we want to or not yet.

Also, you can sign up with the "buyers club" as part of the Vancouver food co-op and get Azure deliveries that way. They're trying to cut back on the number of drops they do and currently have a $400 minimum.

Urban homesteader wanna be and homeschooling mama to the artist : 1/2003 and the peanut 6/2008 :
#13 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 05:06 PM

Buyers club link

Urban homesteader wanna be and homeschooling mama to the artist : 1/2003 and the peanut 6/2008 :
#14 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not sure, I know there are other mama's on the co-op...ask Korin or Beth...but if you order over a certain amount it's free shipping, or you can add small amounts to their order. I think if would be good to try some stuff before ordering a bunch in bulk.
Is there a yahoo group or something about the order? If so could you PM it to me, I always see you guys talking about it but never see a link or anything.

#15 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 05:19 PM

A great wheat pasta substitute is Tinkyada rice pasta. I like their spaghetti and penne the best. It does not get mushy like many other brands (be careful) or other grain pastas like corn. I've honestly had the best luck with this brand and have been using it with older ds for 6 years. I can almost always find it at any health food store or food co-op, I'm sure if you call around you could find a store in your area that carries it. There website if nothing else is www.tinkyada.com. If you or your little ones like pasta I highly recomend getting this brand! Good luck!
:;;:;:; considering: Mama to Nick(05-01) and Jon (12-05) married to DH since 2000
#16 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick&jonmom View Post
A great wheat pasta substitute is Tinkyada rice pasta. I like their spaghetti and penne the best. It does not get mushy like many other brands (be careful) or other grain pastas like corn.
I have heard this before. We just bought a couple of their bags to try.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#17 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
Is there a yahoo group or something about the order? If so could you PM it to me, I always see you guys talking about it but never see a link or anything.
I'd pm Beth or Korin...I think they are on it, oh and mamajessica.
#18 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 05:42 PM

I'm just going to pop in here to throw out some ideas for snacks and lunches for Marah, based on things I know Maddy likes.

Once you establish a wheat-free cracker that Marah likes, there is a whole variety of spreads that you can offer her that have great nutritional value and still meet requirements. If corn chips are alright, they can be used, too. Maddy loves mild salsa, even medium salsa. Look up recipes for chutneys and bean pates, a lot of simple yet interesting healthy snacks can be made with those, and they can be used over several days or even weeks with some chutneys. Actually, right now I'm eating this strawberry-rhubarb chutney I got a recipe for at my local food coop. I wouldn't have even made it except that they had some on sample and it was delicious! Here's the recipe, which makes a quart, so I halved it and have plenty:

Quote:
1 pint strawberries
3 lbs rhubarb stalks
1 bunch basil
1-2 tbsp agave nectar or honey
1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup sea salt

Mince the rhubarb up into small chunks and then mix in a bowl with the salt, and set aside. Mince up the strawberries, slice up the basil leaves into small strips, and mix in a bowl with the vinegar, sweetener, and pepper. I actually used more honey and less vinegar in mine. Rinse the rhubarb in a colander under cold water until the salt has been washed off (this takes the bitterness out of the rhubarb), and then mix it with the strawberry mixture. All done! It's much better the second day, and can be cooked and canned for storage.
Other things I feed Maddy:
*frozen mixed veggies, steamed until soft, maybe with sunflower seeds sprinkled on top if Marah will chew them

*partially defrosted mixed frozen berries in almond milk (I'm pretty sure Costco has large bags of frozen berries)

*avocados (she will just eat them plain, but I'm sure there are many spreads that contain avocados as well, like a mild guacamole)

*"harvest grains" rice mix from trader joes, cooked in chicken broth, with veggies and/or chopped up chicken. She also loves spanish rice with chopped up carrots added.

*plates with deli-sliced meat, red peppers, pickles, whatever little things Maddy likes. Hummus if we have it.

*homemade fries... I wash a few lbs of russet potatoes, chop them up into strips, toss them in a bowl with vegetable oil and seasoning (salt, pepper, "spike," garlic salt, sweet paprika... whatever strikes my fancy) until they are lightly coated. Then I freeze whatever I'm not using just then and put what I'm using on a non-stick pan or a pizza stone in the oven set at 425 for 10-15 minutes, depending on how thick the fries are. You can turn them halfway through to golden up both sides. The frozen fries should be stored in amounts that can be used at once, not in a big chunk altogether. Then you take out the fries and put them in the oven frozen, and when they are falling apart from each other you can reach in there with a spatula and push them out into a single layer. You can also make sweet potato fries the same way.

*reserved leftovers in toddler-size portions. Just reserve them before serving the meal so you make sure to have them for the next day.

*a lot of asian or asian inspired dishes contain no wheat or dairy as the staple is rice and the flavor is in meats and veggies and herbs like basil, mint, lemongrass, ginger.

I know how hard it is to provide fresh produce all the time with a big family and prices the way they are, so that's why I included things from the freezer.

Bread and cheese and yogurt are very easy high calorie child pleasing foods! I hope my suggestions help you and you find a good rhythm with Marah soon.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#19 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all the info. If anyone has anything to add I would love to hear it.

#20 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 11:33 AM

Hi! I was just checking this post and getting some great non allergen food ideas myself, thanks! Then my 7 yo DS wanted to mess around like he does sometimes with all the icons and this is what I found. Moments like these are too precious and far between not to share it with others:

If you love your Mom.... .... you might say I love you MOM!!!.Or you might say Mom your the :est Mom ever or you love : so much.You might say Mom your the best mom ever.You might even say I love you so much I want you to and me.You might say Mom or your the coolest Mom ever!!!

From NICHOLAS and JONY too
#21 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 02:27 PM

Cute

Allison, how's it going? Sticking with it? Any changes?

We're thinking about going GF for a month to see if it helps w/ Lilly's eye. I've been putting it off 'cuz I'm intimidated by the thought and I haven't found any real evidence that it'd actually be helpful (minus 1 anecdote).

#22 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 11:42 PM

Sometimes I make soups with chicken broth, meat, veggies and maybe some rice or rice pasta. It's just so hard to get filled up without eating bread. Also I made the other day kind've like a chicken pasta salad with brown rice pasta shells, chicken and a homemade white sauce(bar-b-que white sauce that is). It was wonderful!
#23 of 23 Old 05-31-2008, 02:35 AM

We had to go GFDF as well. It's hard at the beginning, but it does get easier. I love how we are all feeling.
I just bought a great cookbook called The gluten-free vegan.
We are not vegan nor vegetarian, but being gluten and dairy free, I was tired of trying to alter other recipes. These are really wonderful and I can always add meat to anything.
She uses lots of coconut oil and milk instead of soy, which I really like.

I am on a mission trying to find a homemade GFDF bars to take with us when we are out and about. I'll post a recipe once I figure it out.
I also LOVE making and eating raw balls. You can soak almost any raw nuts - I use almonds, and walnuts usually, but today I used almonds and macademia, and some hazelnuts. Plus dates (you can add also raisins, or/and any dried fruit), and some cocoa powder (optional), vanilla extract, and today I added about 1/3 c of coconut oil as well. Put it in a food processor and process until fine. Shape into small balls and roll in coconut. Keep in refrigerator. It's heavenly. I have some raw food cookbooks I bought especially for their amazing and very healthy deserts.
Mu kids LOVE them and I feel good about giving those to them.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page