What kind of vinegar? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-14-2008, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If DS can't have wheat/barley/rice/oats (he's intolerant), I don't think he can have white vinegar (derived from grain, right?). And he also can't have apples, so he can't have apple cider vinegar. What are other choices? Thanks!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#2 of 13 Old 06-14-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
If DS can't have wheat/barley/rice/oats (he's intolerant), I don't think he can have white vinegar (derived from grain, right?). And he also can't have apples, so he can't have apple cider vinegar. What are other choices? Thanks!

Red wine or balsamic seem to be the most readily available. The links list some more exotic varieties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar#Balsamic
http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benef...f-vinegar.html
#3 of 13 Old 06-14-2008, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!! I forgot about red wine vinegar. He CAN have grapes.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 13 Old 06-14-2008, 08:37 PM

Kathy- your post got me worried, because I have been using white vinegar for all sorts of things... including our bone broth!

But I've been googling, and it seems like vinegar is considered ok in a gluten-free diet, even from Celiac.com.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#5 of 13 Old 06-14-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
But I've been googling, and it seems like vinegar is considered ok in a gluten-free diet, even from Celiac.com.
Phew!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#6 of 13 Old 06-14-2008, 10:47 PM

You DO need to worry about white vinegar though if you are being corn free. Although I found a ketchup, made with white vinegar, that dd doesn't react to so I don't think all white vinegar is derived from corn.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#7 of 13 Old 06-14-2008, 11:29 PM

Distilled white vinegar is definitely not safe here.

There's also rice vinegar, brown rice vinegar, ume plum vinegar, balsamic vinegar...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#8 of 13 Old 06-14-2008, 11:58 PM

We are corn-free, but dd has had a few things with white vinegar without any problems. I think it might depend on what part of the corn you're allergic to and how sensitive you are.
#9 of 13 Old 06-15-2008, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

I thought white vinegar was from wheat (according to my friend who has two sons with celiac) but that the distillation process rendered it safe. The problem is that my DS is intolerant to wheat and gliadin, not gluten, so I don't know if it's still safe or not. I had been using rice vinegar, but he tested positive for rice, and apple. I have tarragon vinegar but know nothing about that, so I'll have to figure that one out. I need vinegar to make my own ketchup (without cane sugar or onion) so I was trying to figure this out.

I think I've also run into 1 or 2 false negatives (corn and potatoes, that DS had been off of before the test) on the ALCAT test.

#10 of 13 Old 06-15-2008, 02:20 PM

That celiac site that I found the other day says that most in the US is made from corn, but that it can be made from wheat, corn, potatoes, or wood(!).

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#11 of 13 Old 06-15-2008, 04:36 PM

We used to buy some french mayonaise that had vinegar made from wheat. I do think that white vinegar in the US is mostly from corn.
#12 of 13 Old 06-15-2008, 06:14 PM

My booklet lists white vinegar under wheat, didn't check under corn (NAK).
We avoid it for ds1, ketchup and a few other things w/a lot of vinegar trigger reactions in him so I'm thinking it's that (wheat/gluten/gliadin intolerance).
I think tarragon vinegar is just flavoured white vinegar, for whomever brought that up.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#13 of 13 Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

That celiac site that I found the other day says that most in the US is made from corn, but that it can be made from wheat, corn, potatoes, or wood(!).

I follow the same principle. It worked for me when I was only gluten-free. Heinz uses corn-based vinegar.

Now that I am corn-free, are there any vinegars I can have in public? Rice, white wine, and balsamic is OK for me at home. But, so many condiments contain vinegar.

Can I never have a pickled anything again?

Food Blogger | Wife | Adoptive Dog Parent

Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Egg-free, Soy-free, Corn-free, Oat-free, Teff-free, Hemp-free

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page