Does this look like an allergic reaction? pics - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-14-2008, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 3 months old. For over a week now she has had a rash that seems to fade and come back. It will look dotty, with single dots and some clusters, then very bright and splotchy sometimes throughout the day but always worst in the morning.Yesterday morning there was also a weird jagged line of a light purple splotch, which also faded but is back this morning. The purple splotch was enough for me to take her to urgent care, as her doc couldn't see her until July 1st (we are new patients, old doc will no longer accept our insurance). They didn't open until noon and of course it was faded by then, as well as the usual morning splotches. The doc said it was heat rash. It is mostly on her legs, though there are some dots on her arms. I think it looks worse this morning than even 2 days ago. Please look at these-

morning 8
morning 8 legs
morning 9
purple splotch
day 9 - you can see how they've faded
morning 10
morning 10

I thought at first this was a contact irritation. I've been washing my and her clothes with no detergent for a week. I washed our bedclothes multiple times with no detergent. No soap in her bath for a week. I don't do perfume or lotion. We've had the air conditioner on for 5 days now. I've been putting her in only cotton clothing for 3 days now. At night she's been sleeping on a cotton receiving blanket, as we have no 100% cotton sheets, for 3 nights now. The receiving blankets are very small though, so I know she is touching our sheets sometimes. One day 8 I read the tags on her cloth diapers, half of them have polyurethane coating, half have vinyl coated polyester. Dp wanted me to try disposables instead (though the rash isn't on her diaper area), so we've been doing that since night 8. The purple splotch freaks me out more than the others for some reason. I don't get why this mostly fades, but is bright again throughout the day, then is so bad first thing in the morning. If this was heat rash, could her rubbing her legs on the bedding, even the cotton, cause it to become irritated and splotchy? Or does this look like some sort of allergic reaction?

blogging.jpg

#2 of 6 Old 06-15-2008, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

bump

PLEASE

I'm looking for second, third opinions on this. I've never dealt with an allergic reaction and I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. Can some of you experienced mommas tell me if this looks like a food reaction? I'm thinking of starting an elimination diet, but dp is discouraging me because he doesn't think its a food. I just don't know but am willing to do anything for dd so this rash will go away. From everything I can find about heat rash it should go away on its own in 2-3 days. This rash has NOT done that.

PLEASE HELP!!! I need your opinions! Does this look like a food reaction or something else?

blogging.jpg

#3 of 6 Old 06-15-2008, 10:56 AM

Well, it could be an allergic reaction to food or it could just be a normal baby rash. Does she have any other food allergy symptoms at all? Has she had a fever lately? Here is where I go whenever I need to look up rash info:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082900.asp

Toward the bottom it lists the cases when to worry. Does the purple one turn white when you press it? The purple rash to worry about stays purple when you press it.

I totally understand your worry. My DS just had a case of hives in the last couple weeks (allergic reaction to something that I never figured out the source of) and then he had the red rash typical of Roseola. I was doing all sorts of rash research! It took a couple weeks for the rashes to go away completely.

Good luck.
#4 of 6 Old 06-15-2008, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

thanks- I'm off to check out that link

blogging.jpg

#5 of 6 Old 06-15-2008, 11:51 AM

does it start in the morning and then fade during the day?
Is it there when she first wakes up in the morning?
Are you co-sleeping, so she is warmer at night?
Does she get it after naps (if she sleeps in the same bed)?
Does she nurse more during the day, or at night?

I guess I'm looking for a pattern.... if she doesn't get it after naps in the same place that she sleeps, then it's probably not the bedding.
If she gets it when she sleeps with you, but not when she's alone, then it could be heat rash (or something you're putting on your skin that is transferring to her).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#6 of 6 Old 06-18-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
does it start in the morning and then fade during the day?
Is it there when she first wakes up in the morning?
Are you co-sleeping, so she is warmer at night?
Does she get it after naps (if she sleeps in the same bed)?
Does she nurse more during the day, or at night?

I guess I'm looking for a pattern.... if she doesn't get it after naps in the same place that she sleeps, then it's probably not the bedding.
If she gets it when she sleeps with you, but not when she's alone, then it could be heat rash (or something you're putting on your skin that is transferring to her).
It could be allergic; my son's dairy-allergy rash originally looked something like that. (Nowadays accidental exposures lead to something more like eczema.) There's no way to tell except to try an elimination diet and see if it goes away, or comes back upon re-introduction of the food. Be aware, though, that dairy in particular takes a looong time to leave the system -- you'll have to keep up the diet for at least several weeks to be sure.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page