Food intolerance and behavior problems? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello ladies,
I have a 2 yo girl who has been giving me some trouble for awhile and I want your opinions whether it could be food related.
Here is a little background on her: at 1 mo she started being really fussy - like colicky but pretty much all day long, also started having mucous and blood in her bm. SO I cut off dairy, soy and eggs from my diet until she turned 1yo. After that I introduced them little by little into my and her diet without any problems. So I assumed she had outgrown whatever intollerances she had.
I dont remember when it all started but currently we have problems with her sleeping, bm, and behavior overall. She goes to bed at 9 pm , she wakes up at 6 - 6:30, cranky and sleepy. Our day usually starts with her whining and crying for everything and anything.
She has been constipated too. I cut down her cow's milk to about 10 oz daily. She gets probiotics, fibers and Miralax daily. I've tried to wean her off the Miralax twice so far without much success.
Her skin is otherwise clear - she had some eczema over the winter but now that the weather is worm it has cleared.

So my questions is can excessive tantrums crying and bad behavior be related to food intolerances?

Thanks,
Borislava
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 02:28 PM

Yes, they can. And milk is usually the biggest culprit. There was a huge thread in Health and Healing about this a while ago. If the search feature was working, I'd post a link for you.

You could cut out all dairy (including trace amounts) and see what happens. You'd probably want to give it a good month because dairy and can take a while to get completely out of your system.

Good luck. Oh, this link has good information about what to avoid if you're dairy-free (scroll down to see info on dairy): http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/allergy.htm
Old 06-25-2008, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter's behavior got better after we cut out gluten, and I think for us it was mainly because her sleep got so much better. Hard to know for sure, but she just seemed a bit less irritable overall and so we didn't have as much whininess and the tantrums got a bit better. Much as it's a pain, I'd try cutting out the foods you suspect and see what happens.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:53 PM

In my limited experience, food intolerances just change symptoms. They never go away completely (I'm thinking rotation diet might be the only way my kids will ever be able to tolerate some of their foods). I'd take out all her previous triggers, and see if you get your normal kid back. Then test each food (at least 4 or 5 days apart) to see which food is the culprit(s). Sleep issues and behavior can definitely be food related.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 PM

I don't have much time to post now, but do an internet search for Feingold Diet... we are currently trying this for my DS who has behavior issues, along with allergies, emotional issues, wetting problems, and a few other things. I'll try to post more on it later.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:36 AM
Banned

Food sensitivities are nothing to sneeze at. Over 60% of the population know they must avoid certain foods. Many others are not aware they have food sensitivities. Many think that fatigue, itchy skin or a runny nose are “normal”.

Researchers distinguish between food intolerances and food allergies. Intolerances are reactions that do not involve the immune system, such as lactose intolerance. Food allergies involve typical allergic responses of the immune system. The terms are used interchangeably in this brief introduction to a huge subject.

Food allergies can cause or aggravate an enormous variety of symptoms. According to the American College of Allergy and Immunology, they include upset stomach, gastroenteritis, runny nose, dark circles under the eyes, shock, edema or swelling, anxiety, ulcers, joint pain, asthma, addictions, and rashes. In children they can cause seizures, red ear lobes, red cheeks, excessive talking or aggressive behavior, bedwetting and attention deficit.

Other symptoms are bronchitis, celiac disease, diarrhea, chronic fatigue, colic, colitis, diabetes, depression, failure to thrive, hay fever, headaches, hyperactivity, bowel disease, insomnia, iron deficiency anemia due to blood loss, learning disorders, malabsorption, myalgia, nephritis, acne and sore throat

Still more conditions possibly related to food allergies are bulimia, anorexia, alcoholism, candidiasis, constipation, Crohn’s disease, conjunctivitis, delusions, dyslexia, epilepsy, fever, hypothyroidism, hoarseness, low stomach acid, irritable bowel syndrome, memory loss, multiple sclerosis, obesity, middle ear infections, premenstrual syndrome, psoriasis, ringing in the ears and dizziness.

CAUSES OF FOOD SENSITIVITIES

Eating Habits. For proper digestion and utilization, food needs to be chewed thoroughly, eaten slowly so that it mixes with saliva, and the body needs to secrete the proper enzymes to digest the food. Poor eating habits such as eating on the run, eating too fast, eating when anxious, eating too much, drinking too much water or other beverages with meals, or eating ice cold or scalding foods can all impair the digestion process.

Enzyme Deficiencies. Even if eating habits are excellent, imbalances in body chemistry can result in adrenal gland weakness, liver toxicity, enzyme deficiencies, imbalances in intestinal pH, intestinal inflammation or infection, or other difficulties that can cause food reactions. For example, many adults lack the enzyme to digest milk sugar, causing reactions to milk products.

“Leaky Gut” Syndrome. This is the condition in which the intestine is too permeable. Undigested peptides or other food components pass into the blood from the intestine resulting in allergic reactions.

Causes of leaky gut syndrome include bacterial or viral infections, parasitic infestations such as candida albicans or amebic dysentery, Crohn’s disease or celiac disease. Other causes include the use of alcohol, Motrin, Advil, cortisone or other irritant drugs, nutrient deficiencies, antibiotic therapy, excessive sugar in the diet, excessive stress of any kind or impaired digestion for any reason.

Natural Food Constituents. Minerals, vitamins, amino acids and other food compounds are at times responsible for food reactions. For example, soy beans are high in copper while nuts are quite oily. These can cause food reactions in susceptible individuals.

Food Varieties and Processing. The book Eat Right 4 Your Type proposes that different blood types are more compatible with certain foods. While not true in every case, this approach to food selection is helpful for some people.

Many foods we routinely eat are hybrids, and may be genetically altered as well. This may affect the ability of some people to eat these foods. Our digestive tracts may not be prepared to handle the new food varieties.

Food processing and refining can create food intolerance. For example, some people can drink natural, whole milk, but not pasteurized, homogenized milk from cows injected with bovine growth hormone and fed antibiotics.

Many foods contain pesticide residues, as well as a chemical soup of up to twenty or thirty additives, preservatives, artificial flavors, colors, and other chemicals - all in one food!

DETECTION OF FOOD ALLERGIES

Many methods are available to detect food allergies. If you have been eating a lot of a particular food, you are more likely to register sensitivity with many of these methods. Sensitivity can vary from day to day, and food reactions are often delayed, which makes testing more difficult.

Avoid and Challenge Testing. A simple and effective method is to eliminate a suspected food for a week or two and then reintroduce it. Many people will notice they do not feel as well if they reintroduce an offending food. Energy may decrease, or one may develop a runny nose, bags under the eyes, headache, upset stomach, gas or other symptoms.

A more rigorous elimination method is to either fast on just water or juice for a few days, or eat only a simple diet of rice and turkey, for example, for a few days. This will often clear the system of food allergens. Then one introduces other foods, one at a time, and notes any reactions that may occur. This can be done at home, though you must adhere to the routine strictly. Some allergy clinics also offer this as a service, and there are books about elimination regimens that explain it more fully.

Intradermal, Scratch and Sublingual Testing. These are standard methods used by allergists. They involve placing a sample of a food under the tongue, or injecting it under the skin and watching for a reaction. Then neutralizing doses of the substance can be given to desensitize the person.

Blood Tests. Among the blood tests used to detect allergies is the RAST (radioallergosorbent) test. This tests for IgE or IgG antibodies in the blood, and is fairly accurate. Another good test for food allergies is the ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) test, often excellent to detect hidden food allergies and sensitivities. Others include the cytotoxic test, the FAST (fluoroallergosorbent) test, MAST (autoradiographic), IP (immunoperoxidase) and others.

Applied Kinesiology. This procedure employs testing of muscle strength to assess food sensitivities. It is a way to tune in to the body’s energy system. A food that reacts in the body will generally cause a muscle to go weak. The test is performed either by having the person eat a food and then test the muscle, or they hold a suspected food in their hand, and the test is done. Kinesiology in the hands of a skilled practitioner can be very accurate, fast and inexpensive, bearing in mind that sensitivities can change over time.

The Pulse Test. With this simple test, one takes one’s pulse, then eats a suspected food, preferably after not eating it for a week. One waits 10 minutes and then checks the pulse again. If the pulse increases more than about 10 beats per minute it indicates a reaction. This is not an exact method and does not register delayed reactions, but may be helpful.

CORRECTING FOOD ALLERGIES

Improve Your Eating Habits. Regular, relaxed, sit-down meals, eating slowly, chewing thoroughly, and preferably resting for a few minutes after meals greatly assist digestion.

Fifteen years ago I had many food allergies. I attended a friend’s outdoor wedding that was not only relaxed, but hilarious thanks to several noisy ducks next door. I laughed most of the afternoon, and ate half a dozen ‘forbidden foods’ - with no reactions.

Improve Your Diet. Eating a variety of fresh, high-quality, minimally processed and preferably organically grown foods minimizes exposure to pesticides and chemical additives. This reduces stress on the body. Quality food also provides many more vital nutrients needed to maintain the digestive and immune systems. Avoid junk food, refined sugar, refined table salt, refined flour and artificial, chemicalized foods.

Reduce coffee and other irritating foods. Most people also need to avoid wheat and dairy. These are so processed and refined they are no longer quality foods. Goat milk products are often tolerated better. Gluten-containing foods (rye, oats and barley) are also common allergic foods.

Variety And Food Rotation. A good rule of thumb is not to eat the same food two days in a row. Many people will find this difficult. However, it is a worthwhile goal, and can help prevent and correct food allergy problems. Simple meals, simple food combinations, and avoiding excessive quantities of liquids with meals may also benefit digestion and minimize food reactions.

Reduce Stress. Any method to reduce stress may be helpful. Meditation, regular exercise, rest, relaxation, massage and many therapies may benefit food allergies this way. Deep breathing can be particularly beneficial for digestion. A positive mental attitude can be a powerful factor to help reduce stress and restore adrenal gland activity to optimal levels.

Reduce Chemical Exposure. The body has a threshold for stress from all sources. Breathing impure air, drinking water containing chlorine, fluorides, heavy metals and other toxins, and general exposure to toxins all tax the liver, the immune system and other body systems. Even sitting under unnatural light all day stresses your body. Reducing your general exposure to chemicals and toxins can reduce food allergies.

Improve Body Chemistry. Biochemical imbalances specifically related to food allergies include depleted adrenal glands. The adrenals, when functioning correctly, produce enough cortisol and cortisone to stop most allergic reactions.

Another common imbalance is excessive cell permeability. Excess permeability allows foreign substances to be absorbed into the cells, where they cause reactions. Many nutrients including vitamin C, bioflavinoids, essential fatty acids and others are needed for proper cell membrane function. Another imbalance that can give rise to allergic symptoms is a high histamine level. Low thyroid is another common condition that can contribute to food allergies.

Nutrients. Correction of body chemistry requires supplementary nutrients to assist the digestive, immune, adrenal and other body systems. Everyone can at least add natural supplements like kelp and nutritional yeast to their diet. I recommend tissue mineral testing, though there are other methods of assessing and guiding the correction of body chemistry.

Detoxify. Many times, allergic symptoms will improve as toxins are removed from the body. The methods I most recommend are the use of the dry, low-temperature, infrared sauna, other means of sweating such as steam baths or exercise, colonic irrigation, enemas, the BEFE machine, and daily skin brushing.

Allergy Testing. Testing via kinesiology, electroacupuncture, blood tests, blood typing or other means may help pinpoint problem foods that you are not aware of. One can often do avoidance and challenge tests at home, keeping a food diary. Then set up a rotation program with the remaining non-allergenic foods. Introduce unfamiliar foods slowly.

Candida Albicans. Overgrowth of candida often produces gas, bloating, skin yeast infections and other symptoms. You can help starve the yeast by avoiding all sugars, fruits, juices and other sweets. You may also need to limit carbohydrate intake and focus the diet more on vegetables and proteins. At times, anti-candida medication and deep correction of body chemistry are necessary to correct the tendency for candida overgrowth.

Neutralization methods. These include allergy shots, NAET (Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Technique) and other methods involving tapping, acupuncture and homeopathy. They work for some people. Homeopathic neutralization using electroacupuncture machines such as the Dermatron or Computron are also helpful for some.

BRAIN ALLERGIES AND ADDICTION

Food reactions can affect not only the body, but the brain and behavior. This can give rise to bizarre symptoms from depression and anxiety to suicidal and psychotic behavior. This has been well-proven by orthomolecular psychiatrists and holistic allergists who pay attention to the behavioral effects of allergies.

In Seven Weeks to Sobriety, author Jane Larson notes that some alcoholics have an allergic reaction to alcohol that contributes to their addiction. One can become addicted to any allergic food or beverage. This may seem odd, but it is one factor that can slow recovery from food allergies and conditions like alcoholism.

CONCLUSION

Food allergies contribute to hundreds of symptoms and illnesses. In part, they are a product of modern unhealthy lifestyles, impure environments, the fast-food mentality and a radically altered and often chemically-contaminated food supply.

There are many wonderful methods to detect and eliminate food allergies. Having been through them myself, the allergies are an interesting if annoying way to force oneself to tune in better to figure out what foods and eating habits are best. Also, it may be our body’s way of keeping us from living on junk foods that aren’t healthful anyway. So don’t despair if you suffer from food allergies. Simplify, substitute, take it slow, and you can overcome.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

WOW! Thank you so much to all of you who replied!

For now I am going to cut off dairy - I will replace it with breast milk ( I am nursing ds and I am dairy and soy-free, and also pumping since I am back to work) as much as possible and use rice milk as an addition and see what happens. She is not huge on eggs so that's another one I will remove as well, along with soy.

I am also sruggling with the fact that most people (including some members of my familly) and also mainstream medicine in general take this as a normal behavior of a spoiled 2 yo. And the fact that I can't tell for sure what exactly is bothering her doesnt make it any easy either....

Thanks again!
Old 06-26-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I am also sruggling with the fact that most people (including some members of my familly) and also mainstream medicine in general take this as a normal behavior of a spoiled 2 yo. And the fact that I can't tell for sure what exactly is bothering her doesnt make it any easy either....
Yeah, but they also think being constantly sick and feeling blah and tired are normal. When you start to piece together your puzzle and figure out what makes you (you and your child) feel better, then you get out of that mindset and then the possibilities are endless. It's very worthwhile.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:05 AM

I think her behavior is b/c she is not getting enough sleep... I see these exact behavioral issues in my 5 yo when he sleeps that schedule and 2 yo's need even more. Which is not to say that food intolerances are not the cause. Sleep disturbances are one of my most valuble tools to discover what DS is and is not reacting to.

I pretty much have tantrums and bad behavior when I don't sleep too enough...

User Tag List