dairy, soy, egg free ice cream? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 34 Old 06-29-2008, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have a good dairy, egg and soy free ice cream recipe to make in an ice cream maker? We get sorbets sometimes for ds but they just aren't the same as a creamy ice cream. I don't know how creamy a rice milk based ice cream would be but I thought it might be worth a try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 06-29-2008, 05:44 PM

I don't have a recipe, but we buy Rice Dream Vanilla flavored ice cream.
#3 of 34 Old 06-29-2008, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We couldn't do Rice Dream. I tried a rice milk based ice cream, but it never thickened. I use coconut milk as a base. The recipe I use is on my blog (in my signature). It's pretty creamy.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

#4 of 34 Old 06-29-2008, 07:29 PM

Rice Dream has soy lecithin I think.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#5 of 34 Old 06-29-2008, 11:37 PM

I buy these: http://www.coconutbliss.com/
Incredible!!! and they use only agave nectar to sweeten. What can I say - amazing ice cream!
#6 of 34 Old 06-30-2008, 12:04 AM

We do the Good Karma Rice Divine. But it has soy in it. I wish the coconut bliss was available on the east coast!!
#7 of 34 Old 06-30-2008, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin Yang View Post
Incredible!!! and they use only agave nectar to sweeten. What can I say - amazing ice cream!
Omg that stuff looks delicious AND they sell it here in town! : Now I just have to wonder if there's corn in their vanilla extract. I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask (or rather, I'll make dh call because I hate calling ppl lol).

Another one I've heard of is called Nadamoo but I couldn't find it locally and when I e-mailed them a question they never replied back, so that kind of stinks.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#8 of 34 Old 06-30-2008, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Rice Dream has soy lecithin I think.
I can't get their site to come up right now to check the ingredients, but I'm pretty sure the plain vanilla flavor doesn't. None of the other flavors have been safe for us, though.
#9 of 34 Old 06-30-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
I can't get their site to come up right now to check the ingredients, but I'm pretty sure the plain vanilla flavor doesn't. None of the other flavors have been safe for us, though.
Oops- you're right!! But it has guar gum... so it's out for us. We haven't done Coconut Bliss either, even though it looks fabulous, because they make flavors with nuts... so I'm sure it's made on shared equipment. It's so sad.... it's been REALLY hot here the last couple days. It would be nice to have a cold treat!

#10 of 34 Old 06-30-2008, 02:20 PM

sorbet? Boring but cold.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#11 of 34 Old 06-30-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
sorbet? Boring but cold.
I haven't found any that don't have at least one ingredient on our bad list... I don't know why I even bother looking. I really need to get it through my head that I just can't have ANY packaged food!! I will have to stick to my homemade coconut milk ice cream this summer. Maybe I should buy an ice cream maker... mmm

#12 of 34 Old 06-30-2008, 02:55 PM

I bought one this spring. Clearance special for $14.99 (the kind where you pre-freeze the bowl and it only takes about half an hour of electric churning). It's pretty good for making coconut ice cream. And it's really creamy. It freezes too hard for me if there are any leftovers, but now we just make sure there aren't any leftovers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 of 34 Old 06-30-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I bought one this spring. Clearance special for $14.99 (the kind where you pre-freeze the bowl and it only takes about half an hour of electric churning). It's pretty good for making coconut ice cream. And it's really creamy. It freezes too hard for me if there are any leftovers, but now we just make sure there aren't any leftovers!
Ditto this. We have a cuisinart. The key is cooling the mixture before putting in the frozen bowl. Delish. Haven't tried sorbet but i imagine it would work.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#14 of 34 Old 06-30-2008, 04:13 PM

Where are you guys getting coconut milk that does not have guar gum or some other stabilizer in it? The brand I used to buy didn't have anything added (I think i was Taste of Thai??), but they started adding guar gum or something. Now the only kinds I can find in the whole foods stores have things added. Sorry I am blanking on the brand names we have around here.

What do you buy?
#15 of 34 Old 06-30-2008, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Buy or check out from the library "Vegan Planet." This cookbook has ice cream recipes that don't use tofu. I replace the soy milk with other different vegan milks.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor

Proud member of #teamvaxchoice
#16 of 34 Old 06-30-2008, 04:16 PM

Ok what's bad with guar gum? You guys are freaking me out. What's it a derivative of? I know xanthum gum is corn derived...

FTR, I had dh call Coconut Bliss and asked them about their vanilla extract and they told him it was corn free. Now, is it really? Who knows for sure : But dd's reaction to corn is just a red butt that does not seem to cause her any discomfort...it's only if I keep consuming it that her other reactions begin. So I'm going to go ahead and give it a try and I'll try to remember to update if she reacts to it or not!

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#17 of 34 Old 06-30-2008, 04:34 PM

Guar gum is derived from a legume (guar plant). While I react to two legumes (soy, peanut), I'm fine with the rest of the family.

I blend coconut milk with frozen fruit. It's kinda like soft serve until the fruit melts, then it's more like a smoothie.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#18 of 34 Old 06-30-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post
Guar gum is derived from a legume (guar plant). While I react to two legumes (soy, peanut), I'm fine with the rest of the family.

I blend coconut milk with frozen fruit. It's kinda like soft serve until the fruit melts, then it's more like a smoothie.
Whew! you guys were freaking me out there for a second. Legumes are ok for us.

#19 of 34 Old 06-30-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Where are you guys getting coconut milk that does not have guar gum or some other stabilizer in it? The brand I used to buy didn't have anything added (I think i was Taste of Thai??), but they started adding guar gum or something. Now the only kinds I can find in the whole foods stores have things added. Sorry I am blanking on the brand names we have around here.

What do you buy?
I found a couple ok brands at our huge Asian market here. They both had some type of additive.. one was potassium meta bisulphate or something like that, and the other was __??__ meta bisulphate. No clue what either of them are, but from my googling they didn't look like a corn or legume product, so we went for it. DD seemed ok with them (seemed being the key word, since we are STILL not at baseline... so really, who knows.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
Whew! you guys were freaking me out there for a second. Legumes are ok for us.
Sorry... Legumes are no good for us. Well, green peas and peanuts... and I'm too scared to try anything else in the family.

#20 of 34 Old 06-30-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
Ok what's bad with guar gum? You guys are freaking me out. What's it a derivative of? I know xanthum gum is corn derived...
We used to be on the SCD, for about three or four years, and guar gum was illegal on the diet. It's a polysaccharide. Certain soluble fibers can feed the bad bacteria. We have some gut issues at our house again, so that's just been on my mind.

If you don't have gut issues then I would think it wouldn't be a problem.
#21 of 34 Old 06-30-2008, 08:39 PM

I get my guar-gum free coconut milk at an Asian market as well. I think the one I use is Arroy-D. I use it for coconut milk yogurt and coconut milk ice cream, and all sorts of baking.

#22 of 34 Old 06-30-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I get my guar-gum free coconut milk at an Asian market as well. I think the one I use is Arroy-D. I use it for coconut milk yogurt and coconut milk ice cream, and all sorts of baking.
I never even thought to look at the Asian market! Thanks!
#23 of 34 Old 07-01-2008, 11:28 AM

The Asian market is a heck of a lot cheaper too. And they have all sorts of rice pastas there too (much cheaper than a health food store).

#24 of 34 Old 07-01-2008, 11:52 AM

Kathy, every time you mention the Asian food market, I think, "I've GOT to go over there!" We have one not 3 blocks away and I've never been. I need to put it on my calendar or something
#25 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 10:01 AM

Get over there. Thats where I get my bulk rice to make rice milk too. Now I'm somewhere else for the summer (3 hours from home) and I can't find good coconut milk anywhere. I should have stocked up. Instead, I stocked up on oyster crackers and the triscuit type crackers from Trader Joes and now neither kid can have wheat. Ugh.

#26 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

I'm the OP and I guess I should have added to the list of allergens for us. DS is allergic to coconuts as well as all other tree nuts, so I guess coconut ice cream is out for us. Have ony other of you tried to make ice cream with rice milk? I have searched for recipes and I do find some, I've just not wanted to waste my time experimenting if it's going to tank. DS is 7 yo and I've experimented ALOT! Thought I'd get some help from all you other creative mama's out there!

Thanks!!
#27 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin Yang View Post
I recently heard that vanilla extract contains gluten...is this true? (THe ingredient list lists vanilla...) Thanks! This could be our new treat!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#28 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 07:31 PM

Vanilla extract may or may not contain gluten. It also may or may not contain wheat or corn. Most extracts are made with wheat or corn alcohol.

Also, I just found this recipe online.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#29 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 11:00 PM

I just got Turtle Mountain Purley Decadent with Coconut Milk ice cream today. It so good!We got the coconut flavor. I think it must be very similar to the coconut bliss ice cream.
#30 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 11:07 PM

pureed, frozen mango is a delicious alternative. it would probably rock with some coconut milk.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page