Please share your childs gluten/dairy free diet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-05-2008, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I have a 5.5 yr old and a 2 yr old who both have tummy issues and have forever.
I am going to try gluten/dairy free to see if it helps them...but I am not sure what to feed them (my dd cannot have eggs and my ds cannot have nuts either).
We already do rice pasta..but the rice bread is gross...too much corn seems to hurt their tummy's too as does soy...
so what in the world is left? The like meat so that is easy, and fruits, veggies are a little harder to get in them and what do I do for snacks?

I would love to see some examples of your day just to give me ideas.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 07-05-2008, 08:33 AM

We do lots of fresh fruit for snacks. We also make homemade trail mix. In it we put sunflower seeds, enjoy life granola,dried fruit,sometimes a gf cereal. I find the bread is better if you toast it fist. We also do toasted gf bread with sunbutter and bananas.
Heres an example of a typical day:

Breakfast: gfcf waffle or pancakes with agave nectar and fruit. He always has a smoothie right when he gets up. We make them with coconut milk and use whatever fruit I have that day. I put his probiotic into his smoothie.

Snack:trail mix

Lunch: homemade gf "chicken Nuggets" If they won't eat veggies good you can always puree veggies and dip the chicken before breading. My little guy eats veggies no problem but that is what I used to do when we went throught that. I always offer the veggie on the side though no matter what.

Snack: Fruit and maybe some safe pretzels

Dinner: He might have some safe meatballs with homemade sauce and rice pasta. We have vegan parm cheese to sprinkle on top. I usually mix in some broccoli with the sauce.
#3 of 20 Old 07-05-2008, 08:45 AM

We've been GF,DF,EG and PF for six months now.
My ds is 16 months and is allergic to all of that and we are nursing so I am off all of it too.
I agree that the rice bread is gross but if you find the right combination of flours and make your own it is SO much better. It will never be crunchy per se, but you can cut down on the chewy factor this way. There are some great books I got from the library that you may like:
http://www.amazon.com/Kid-Friendly-F...=2M7I2236D3SH7

http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Go...5257999&sr=1-2

We do lots of brown rice, soy milk mixed with rice milk, vegies, GF pancakes, rice pasta (Thinkyada makes a really good one), beans, lean meat. We do mac and cheese too and make it with vegan cheese, which I do not recommend eating unless it is melted

Recipeczar.com has lots of GF recipes too and I just got a really good bread recipe from there too:
http://www.recipezaar.com/148381

You can substitute applesauce for egg in any recipe too
http://www.amazon.com/Incredible-Edi...5258400&sr=8-2
This book is a really great start and helps with the substitutions too
Hope that helps a bit.
Good luck!
#4 of 20 Old 07-05-2008, 12:30 PM

Well, I just got way too frustrated with cooking and shopping for very expensive hard to find stuff...sooo... We just pretty much went to whole foods and make a few things here and there with buckwheat flower.
Typical day for my 10.5 month old (with nursings ofcourse):
breakfast-hot cereal and fruit
Lunch-rice meal with veggies and turkey cooked into it
Snack: Apple or watermelon (something easy to grab from the fridge)
Dinner: Steak or Chicken on the grill and some steamed veggies and "Allergy bread" http://www.fastq.com/~jbpratt/recipe...ol/breads.html

Since I am bfing I also have to adhear to the strick diet she is on and I also like to snack on rice snaps and corn tortillas

Oh, another great thing she likes is beans and cornbread!

And everything we need to make with milk is made with Rice milk

-T, Wife and Best Friend to R 3/2005; Mommie to E 8/2007; and G 3/2009

#5 of 20 Old 07-05-2008, 01:00 PM

The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook by Marjorie Hurt Jones has some really good recipes.

There's also a recipe/meal ideas sticky thread at the top of the Allergy forum.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#6 of 20 Old 07-05-2008, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Buckwheat waffles (dairy, gluten, corn, egg, soy free). I always make a double batch and freeze extras for snacking throughout the day.

Fruit is a good snack -- apples, pears, peaches, grapes, etc.

Rice pasta (for my corn/wheat intolerant kid) and corn pasta (for my rice/wheat intolerant kid). Lots of rice (for everybody but the rice intolerant kid), meat/chicken/fish, sweet potato chips/fries/baked, vegetables galore (celery and carrots are easy to snack on -- mashed avocado to dip in).

Soups (chicken, stew, mini meatball). Desserts: pie (coconut crust), coconut milk ice cream, fruit (watermelon, etc.)

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#7 of 20 Old 07-05-2008, 08:39 PM

Most rice bread is not good, but the Trader Joe's brown rice bread is excellent toasted. I would not go near any of the others unless they're homemade. Another good substitute is rice or corn tortillas. I make sandwiches with those and do not miss bread at all anymore.
#8 of 20 Old 07-05-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post
Another good substitute is rice or corn tortillas. I make sandwiches with those and do not miss bread at all anymore.
Do you make your own, or have you found pre-made rice tortillas? I would love some rice tortillas...

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#9 of 20 Old 07-05-2008, 09:40 PM

I also get the rice tortillas at Trader Joe's. My co-op has the Food for Life brand but if I remember correctly they have soy or something in them.
#10 of 20 Old 07-05-2008, 09:46 PM

Recipe for gf rice tortillas:
Haven't tried those yet. It uses cornstarch and potato starch though. Maybe that could be substituted with tapioca?

Pre-made rice tortillas on allergygrocer.com:
Haven't tried those either.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#11 of 20 Old 07-06-2008, 01:20 AM

My dd eats the Ener-G foods light tapioca loaf. To me it's like styrofoam (I only eat it grilled or toasted) but she likes it.....but I don't think she remembers regular bread.

My dd's regular meals:
Breakfast-gf/cf waffles (we buy the freezer ones at TJ's or make our own depending on my mood) with sunflower butter, jelly or maple syrup.
-scrambled eggs and fruit
-cereal with rice milk-either rice chex or envirokids puffs
-soy or goats milk yogurt

Lunches-veggies and hummus, rice cakes with sunflower butter, or a sandwich made on the above mentioned bread. We also make big batches of soup and she'd be happy to have this every day.

Dinner- we are gf/cf/corn free as a family for dinner to make our lives easier. We eat rice pasta (I like the tj's brand as well as any for less money), baked white or sweet potatoes, brown rice with stirfried veggies, soups, salads, breakfast for dinner (gf pancakes or waffles, eggs and fruit), tacos/wraps, beans and rice, etc. We are not veggie, so we have some kind of meat 3-4 nights a week.

ETA snacks-my dd eats tons of fruit, veggies and hummus or dairy free dips, I buy Pamela's gf/cf chocolate chip cookies by the case from Amazon.com (they are my guilty pleasure!). We also buy good quality potato chips. Dried fruit or fruit leather, almonds or trail mix that we make ourselves, hard boiled eggs......

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#12 of 20 Old 07-06-2008, 01:21 AM

Subbing in...
I am in WA, and my DS (6) was just put on Wheat free/Dairy Free. As far as I know, Gluten is not yet an issue for him, but the allergy testing is not back yet. Should be sometime next week. Until last week he lived on breads/Pastas and cheese/Dairy but at least the dairy was raw.
So this has been very difficult for him. He has not been eating much because he doesn't like the way anything tastes. (But he could lose 10 pounds and still be a good sized kid).
I have mostly been doing rice bread sandwiches and meats and fruit. He really hates veggies though.
I like the idea about dipping chicken nugget meat in veggies before breading them. I have never before made nuggets though, what would a good breading mixture be? I bought Amaranth flour, could I do something good with that? I also have lots of FLax and maybe a little rice flour.
Thanks in advance for helping me learn....
Karen
#13 of 20 Old 07-06-2008, 05:45 AM

My allergist told me amaranth is better for things like muffins because it has a slightly spicy taste to it. I haven't had a chance to try it yet- haven't found amaranth nor amaranth flour nearby and only had one online "shopping excursion".
I found double-dipping chicken worked best (though we're egg-free here also, so that might not be an issue for you). Use a lot of spices in your rice flour for breading your nuggets. Sage, thyme, oregano, pepper... and some salt.

I have so many issues coming up with good meal ideas.
For suppers, I mostly do roast beef/pork and chicken, soups, hams (need to be careful with those though- many aren't gf), pork chops, mashed potatoes, rice with wheat-free tamari, "dirty rice" is my fall-back meal (we eat a lot of meat, I really need to visit the veggie forum).
A decent gfcf "cheese" (and honestly the only one I've found) when you're ready to venture out to non-dairy, is Follow Your Heart, but it's soy based.

A normal day for us:

DS1's breakfast:
Envirokidz Gorilla Munch or Rice Chex with soy/rice milk, Van's Waffles with maple syrup (all contain soy), lately he tried (and hated) toasted white rice bread with margarine, fruit with soy yogourt

Lunch:
Usually leftovers from the night before, otherwise hot dogs with homemade oven-fries or potato salad made with egg-free mayo or veggies with hummus, Chef's salad (no cheese or eggs) with homemade dressing, sometimes (rarely) "personal pizzas" (Van's waffle with pizza sauce, pepperoni and FYH cheese).

For snacks: fruit, soy yogourt, veggies with hummus or mock ranch (not yet perfected, but he likes it anyway), I've managed to make edible breadsticks once or twice and he likes to dip those in garlicky olive oil, we buy pretzels and Lay's chips sometimes. I make granola bars, banana bread and cookies sometimes. Sometimes badly. Oh and another "junky" snack is Veggie booty. Yum.

Desserts:
Cake (this one is *good*), So Delicious ice cream, Coconut Bliss Ice cream on special occasions, we found some gfcf fruit bars from Safeway and Dreyer's (I think), and fruit.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#14 of 20 Old 07-06-2008, 09:31 AM

[QUOTE=kjbrown92;11626335]Buckwheat waffles (dairy, gluten, corn, egg, soy free). I always make a double batch and freeze extras for snacking throughout the day.

recipe please
#15 of 20 Old 07-06-2008, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think I put this recipe on my blog (in my signature), but here's th waffle recipe anyway (but look at my blog if you want more recipes):

2 c. light buckwheat flour (I have only found this in one store)
1 1/2 c. water
1/4 c. olive or canola oil
2 Tbs. honey
2 tsp. white wine vinegar (I use this because DD is intolerant to apples, and DS is intolerant of rice)
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. cloves
1 Tbs. milled flax + 3 Tbs. water (microwaved on high for 1 minute -- replaces 1 egg)
4 Tbs. pureed squash (optional)

I have not tried them as pancakes yet. Just waffles, because to me, they are easier to freeze and toast.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#16 of 20 Old 07-06-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nini2033a View Post
Subbing in...
I am in WA, and my DS (6) was just put on Wheat free/Dairy Free. As far as I know, Gluten is not yet an issue for him, but the allergy testing is not back yet. Should be sometime next week. Until last week he lived on breads/Pastas and cheese/Dairy but at least the dairy was raw.
So this has been very difficult for him. He has not been eating much because he doesn't like the way anything tastes. (But he could lose 10 pounds and still be a good sized kid).
I have mostly been doing rice bread sandwiches and meats and fruit. He really hates veggies though.
I like the idea about dipping chicken nugget meat in veggies before breading them. I have never before made nuggets though, what would a good breading mixture be? I bought Amaranth flour, could I do something good with that? I also have lots of FLax and maybe a little rice flour.
Thanks in advance for helping me learn....
Karen
Hey Karen, we are neighbors! It's been just about a year since we made this transition. My daughter's tastes have really expanded and she practically lives on fruit and veggies now which was not the case before.

For local gluten free/dairy free/ other free shopping, Fred Meyer will be come your best friend. It's not a huge selection but it's got much better prices than anywhere else.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#17 of 20 Old 07-06-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
For local gluten free/dairy free/ other free shopping, Fred Meyer will be come your best friend. It's not a huge selection but it's got much better prices than anywhere else.
There and an Asian market.

#18 of 20 Old 07-06-2008, 05:17 PM

Megan,
Thanks for the tip. I am noticing that it is much more expensive to buy readymade with alternatives. Yikes! ($7 FOR 8 WHEAT FREE FISH STIX!)
I am figuring I will have to learn to make it all from scratch. I did manage pancakes with garbanzo bean/fava bean flour and He did eat them drowned in syrup....
It is just that I am at a panic before each meal stage of what can I feed him that he will eat? And I can't afford to have the whole family eat this way, even if Dh and the 2 teenage DD's would ...
#19 of 20 Old 07-06-2008, 06:57 PM

Fresh fruits are in season right now. She also likes the freeze dried fruits from just tomatoes.com

There are a number of gluten free crackers out there too and rice cakes.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#20 of 20 Old 07-11-2008, 10:24 PM

well some successes and some failures...
Tapioca hotdog buns, we opened the package, took one out, close dthe package and put it in the fridge. 36 hours later, we were packing for a picnic at the beach, I pulled out the buns and the whole package was greenishblue and fuzzy. Yuck! And an expensive waste too!
However, we did find a good substitute for Ranch dip for veggies...Canola oil mayonnaise, coconut milk and a package of Italian salad dressing seasoning mix.
Personally, I prefer it to Ranch, I love the hint of coconut!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page