Dizziness as (seasonal) allergy symptom? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-15-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For YEARS I have been so dizzy almost every time I stand up--it lasts for a certain period of time (weeks, maybe months??), then I don't notice it again for a while.

Any time I have brought it up with docs, they say I am just standing up too fast .

So, anyway, at a recent checkup, I mentioned my hearing was bad--thought it was just my age, but she said it was allergies! I have no other allergy symptoms like my DH and DS do (headache, runny nose, red eyes, sneezes, etc), so I never thought I had allergies. Now I am thinking that the dizziness is very likely related, as well.

Anyone else just have these symptoms of allergies? I don't know how to treat the (bothersome) syptoms--all the OTC meds. list the typical allergy symptoms--I don't want to take them since I don't have those symptoms.

Also, is getting tested for allergies worth it, do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 09:45 PM

I get a lot of congestion from my seasonal allergies. One time my hearing was extremely bad, I went to the GP and she said that my ear drums were being blocked by the inflammation, gave me a rx decongestant that cleared it up in no time. I had no idea, and really no other symptoms......so I thought.

I had been living with the congestion for so long that I didn't feel bad even when I should be feeling bad, kwim? I had horrible sinus headaches every time the weather changed and sinus infections on and off.

So, if your congestion from allergies is messing with your ears, your inner ear could be affected, and thus, your balance.

Some things that you might want to try are natural anti-inflammatories (Vitamin C and quercetin come to mind - which is what I take on a daily basis now, but there are others.)

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I get this, as my allergy syptoms are usually ear/sinus related...this can indeed make you dizzy as it messes with your inner ear. I don't get external symptoms like itchy eyes and nose...all of mine are internal and not usually painful.

For example, my ears don't usually hurt when my allergies are bad, but they feel full, like I need to pop them. I don't have a runny noes, but I do get a mild post nasal drip.

For me, putting peroxide in my ears helps as does steaming. I also take Vitamin C. Nettles are good for allergies too, so if my ears are feeling full I will have nettle tea or take it in a capsule form.

HTH

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

Old 07-16-2008, 04:40 PM

The fact it is only at certain times of year makes it seem very possibly allergy related.
One other possiblility would be a inner ear tumor...not to be dismal or anything...lots of folks who have them have symptoms a long time and their MD's miss the connection. One diffinitive diagnostic thing is the hearing loss is in a really small sound range. So the person can hear, but things like speech are tougher to get clearly (consonants are in this sound range, vowels aren't) so they hear the person talking, but can't quite make out what's being said. Very likely to be benign and removable...definitely something to have ruled out by a good doctor.

Momma to one small person I call Smoodgie :joy.gif

User Tag List