Allergic to vinegar? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 3 Old 07-25-2008, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
 
chilliepepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cleaning the floor
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted awhile back about my ds's suspected peanut allergy. I have an appointment to have him tested, but in the meantime I've observed that he has the same reaction (red blotchy skin with little white welts, appearing within minutes of the food touching the skin around his mouth) when he eats ketchup or mustard. So I was reading the ingredients, and it seems like the only thing they have in common is vinegar.

I googled vinegar allergy and didn't immediately see anything very convincing, so I thought I'd throw it out here. Is it possible to be allergic to vinegar? Is a vinegar allergy common?

Thanks...
chilliepepper is offline  
#2 of 3 Old 07-25-2008, 04:08 PM
 
Chinese Pistache's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Under a shady tree, you and me
Posts: 6,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It could just be that your lo has sensitive skin and acidity irritates his skin. How does he do with orange juice?

Or it could be an allergy to corn or another grain, as most vinegars are grown on those. Many corn and wheat allergic people can't do white vinegar. I would expect, though, that you would be seeing other corn/wheat reactions at other times, though.
Chinese Pistache is offline  
#3 of 3 Old 07-25-2008, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
 
chilliepepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cleaning the floor
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
It could just be that your lo has sensitive skin and acidity irritates his skin. How does he do with orange juice?
Hehe come to think of it, I don't think he's ever had orange juice! Oh, I do hope it's just sensitive skin and not an allergy. He's had all kinds of grains including corn tortilla chips with no apparent problem, so yeah, I'm thinking it's just his skin getting irritated. Still, when it did that with a peanut butter cookie (that wouldn't be acidic would it?) it did make me suspect an allergy so I'm steering him clear of peanut products at least till we get him tested.
chilliepepper is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off