My research: CSS - c-section syndrome (causing allergies) - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 1043 Old 10-26-2008, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well, first it's important to understand that all of us are exposed to heavy metals, but not all of us are toxic. There are many people that don't sequester metals and are able to excrete them just fine. OF course people who have a heavier exposure will have more difficulty, but if they can excrete and a rapid enough rate they may never notice. Those of us who are are either exposed to more than we can excrete or who have an inability to excrete at all are the ones in trouble. I'm not saying that it doesn't place stress on the body to be exposed at all-it does. But depending on many factors some people's bodies can tolerate the stress and remain functional.

ITA with the hazards of metals and with the fact that we still seem to persevere in our stupidity.

In terms of how it affects taste...if you are heavy metal metal toxic (and I don't know if it's specific to a *certain* metal or metals in general-that is still unclear) then the zinc, even if you are horribly depleted will taste wretched, fuzzy-the works. I have seen people (adults and children) that have been tested up the wazoo-hair, urine and blood (which is not as helpful) and come up deficient in zinc but cannot tolerate the taste. Upon further examination they were also metal toxic. I was able to dig up some research, but as I said I would really like to now if it's a matter of metal toxicity in general, or something specific like lead (which would kind of make sense....)
#362 of 1043 Old 10-26-2008, 08:24 PM

So what is the best kind of metal testing to do?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#363 of 1043 Old 10-26-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Yes!!! I feel this is so true! I've meditated on my dd's issues and I really think it is generations of ignoring the Laws of Health...I am trying to move away from that and ironically feel that I have a better chance than most but still! I second the motion for books and ideas...and I believe yeast can play a huge part as well...

Our story...I've never had a vax nor abx, and neither has dd...my parents fed us way better than mainstream, whole grains ect and aside from a dairy intolerance, I've always felt so above normal in health (DS inherited that from me...my firstborn.) He had abx at birth for CNN and we battled thrush at 9 mos, and I fought it systemically...we healed, DD1 came when ds was 25 mos--yeast came back in pregnancy. When she was 2 1/2 she became intolerant to gluten and soy and had never had dairy...DD#2 came 28 mos after that and she hasn't had dairy, gluten, or soy yet. But she does get hives from nightshades...I had major pre and postpartum depression with her and hence was on many supps for that. I also had a midwife who had me on different things that I feel helped with the deficiencies, but I also ate Haagan Das every night with the depression. Since then I've healed that, but both dd's and I are battling yeast! DD1-- I haven't been able to get her healing and dd2and I recently began battling it as well. So I'm loving this thread and am anxious to try things for yeast and complete healing as well! Maybe we could start a new thread for that? (Renourishing the body back to a higher level of nutrients on store)
As far as an experienced md or np to help--there is NO ONE here like that...I am on my own (small towns, sigh).
So can you really build back what it took generations to break down? In one lifetime? I am trying and I am hoping to begin the healing thru the next generations! But it sure is an uphill climb...and I get a lot of "yeah, if you're so healthy why are you experiencing these problems" sceptism...enough rambling, lol.
Can I just add a few things and ask for advice? My threelac came in the mail and despite the casein we are trying it. Now I know I have yeast as I have thrush. I am up to three packets a day and am not noticing much...DD (who is almost four) has had yeast flares (the pimpled rash on bum and thighs) off and on (more on) for over a year now and about four weeks ago it flared bigtime, and she scratched them and now they are huge masses of sores on both legs past her knees. They get red and inflamed and seem to begin clearing and then flare again. She is on the threelac (one a day, moving to two...) and they seem to be drying out a bit...I know we both have issues, but I'm really wanting to focus on her right now. I really feel that her intolerances are due to gut damage and that she has the tendency to create dependancies on foods (sensitive brain?/allergy-addictions?) What else can I do for her? I really feel she is malabsorbing...I've always been baffled by the yeast being so out of control as we eat a gf/cf diet and she can't handle sugars (altho now I'm thinking the dried fruit isn't helping...)
(Oh, on the threelac--I'm really not noticing any die-off in her and altho the thrush seems a wee bit better, it still hurts like the dickens when dd2 (18 mos)bf's. Is it too soon for die-off to begin at three days?
I don't have the net at home and with the little ones, don't get on here as much as I'd like, but I'd love some ideas! (ANd I promise I'll check back! DH is downloading this for me on our laptop everyday and I read over it in the evenings, lol.) I'd just decided that we'd always have these issues, but now I'm hoping again that she/we CAN heal! :
Thanks so much for this thread! Really!
(And I'd love some book rec's too)

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#364 of 1043 Old 10-26-2008, 09:13 PM

FF, you mentioned in the candida thread in TF that a yeast cleanse is dependent on what caused the yeast in the first place. Could you please expound on this and perhaps give a few examples? Thanks!

typos likely

#365 of 1043 Old 10-29-2008, 10:46 AM

We all finally did the spit test this morning. Mine had legs, DD2 (who is my csection baby and lots of food intolerances) passed with flying colors, DD1 (no food intolerances, no surprise was fine), and DS looked disgusting. Does that mean he's not healing and that DD2 is? I've been avoiding the foods with him, and he's been having acidophilus tablets for the last few months, and bone broth (beef, since he's intolerant to chicken and turkey), and I can't get him to eat sauerkraut, coconut milk yogurt, or even smoothies (where I could hide a lot of things). I have some coconut water kefir brewing now, so hopefully I can get that in him. So I guess the question is, do I take even more out of his diet (like fruits and sugars? he doesn't eat much fruit as it is, and the only sweeteners he can have are palm sugar, maple syrup, and honey, since he's intolerant to cane sugar; he's already off soy, dairy, gluten, and a host of other things). He does love meat (it's his one consistent thing) -- beef and pork. And doesn't eat leafy greens. I guess I'm wondering why his spit is bad though and DD2's is good, when I thought her's was going to be bad too. Unless it's just that she's healing faster because she's younger. Every time she does get something, she reacts less (like corn is just causing sleepless nights and not giving her eczema anymore). It's still few and far between with her getting into things but it does happen. I just want to know that I'm on the right path I guess.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#366 of 1043 Old 10-29-2008, 09:02 PM

Hi, Kathy. I've recently chosen to take dd off all sugars for the time being. Like your son, she can only have certain things as it is...so for her it meant cutting out fruits, dried fruits (I think this is huge for her as this is her treat, often times), honey, agave, and date sugar. *sigh* I have.got.to.get this under control. I hate limiting these things as she is not quite four and sometimes it's tough to explain...I told her that she can have honey on her pancakes when her legs get better. Also, she's been on the threelac for a week now and no ill effects (even tho we are cf). Unfortunately, yeast doesn't distinguish between "healthy" sugars and refined...I think it's helping...

typos likely

#367 of 1043 Old 10-31-2008, 06:20 PM

Well I took my last antibiotic on Wednesday, figuring I might as well try and see how I did (didn't get a refill). Oh look, it's Friday, and I've got another infection. Darn! Darn! Darn! (and my daughter's "folliculitis" is back -- see other thread). I've been on the anti-yeast diet since last Monday EXCEPT yesterday was DD's halloween party at preschool and I made cereal squares that she (and I) could have. And I fell off the wagon, and ate 3 of them. And felt nauseous for about 4 hours after. And last night my neck started hurting. And look today I got the UTI. Is it a coincidence? Could the yeast be actually CAUSING this? I'd felt great before I cheated. And coincidentally, my urine pH was 8, which means I was slightly alkaline (I thought, from earlier discussions on this threat that I'd be acid). Ugh. I guess I need to make a doctor's appointment for tomorrow. That'll be fun for our 4-hour each way road trip to go to a party on Saturday night (and drive back in the middle of the night). Can I just say Darn! Darn! Darn! again?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#368 of 1043 Old 10-31-2008, 06:44 PM

Pat

I have a blog.
#369 of 1043 Old 10-31-2008, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

I can help you acidify your urine. Can you check your saliva pH? Use the same strip, check it in the morning before food. That will help me decide which food/herb to use to acidify, depending if both or just urine needs it. BTW, an 8 urine means you are really low on alkaline reserves, which isn't a surprise but I did want that proof. See again my post on the link to alkaline urine and low alk reserves - the acid burden on your system, in my opinion, is one of your main problems/causes.

Sorry, in a rush, gotta post a baby thread... high needs grumble grumble...

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#370 of 1043 Old 11-01-2008, 09:34 AM

That urine pH test was around 4pm yesterday afternoon (when I got side pain and realized my predicament). When I took it this morning, it was 6 (and the acid-alkaline book I just got said to use the first morning urine as your test. I'm trying to get into see the doctor this morning. I've been self treating for a yeast infection for the last few days too. I'm getting it all at once. #$%#@%@#%@#%

#371 of 1043 Old 11-03-2008, 11:15 PM

ok, i read this whole thread a couple of times and i have some questions if you are willing.
i posted my history here about 15 pages ago, but a quick rehash is that my dd is outta control with food allergies to the point where i am seriously considering eosinophilic gastrointestinal disorders as a possible diagnosis. she was sectioned, i got abx x1dose after the cord was clamped. i had been on bcp for almost 10 years and was off them for almost a year before conceiving. she and i have incompatable blood types and i received rhogam during and after the pregnancy.
she is 1 year old and we are still bf and losing foods fast and furiously. i keep coming back to this thread and cautiously hoping that we can find some relief here. she also has cradle cap, crustiness behind the ears and a face/body rash that has slowly spread from her cheeks to include her arms and legs over the past 6 months - a ped that we saw before finding this one called it keratosis pilaris but i feel like it flares sometimes and i cant tell why.
my very holistic, very trustworthy pediatrician oat tested us and we show yeast markers. he wrote a rx for diflucan which i am getting the feeling that pp think is a horrible, liver-damaging drug. i bought milk thistle and i take vit c for healing pathways. i take digest gold enzymes, vitastop, candidase, colostrum, lactobacillus duo, vsl#3 (a probiotic which consumes oxalates since ours were high on the oat test), l-glut, ca, mag, d, coq10, biotin, multi vit, clo. i cant do kefir cause dd reacts to the sugar and cant do threelac cause of the lemon.
my question: is the diflucan as bad as pp are saying? my ped's reasoning for not doing the nystatin yet is that he described the nystatin's inability to get down between the microvilli in the intestines and kill all the yeast whereas a systemic drug can attack the yeast at all angles. he recommended a month of diflucan for me (while dd continues to bf and gets it via bm) and then switch to nystatin. what do you think?
#372 of 1043 Old 11-04-2008, 12:17 AM

When I got into the doctor today for my UTI, I told him of my trouble with yeast infections for the last few months while on the abx, and I asked him about Nystatin. He said no one he knows has prescribed that for a long time (at least in the US, he said). Is it really that rare here? He said he could give me Diflucan. But now he's trying me on Flomax (for prostate enlargement in med) and see if that helps. At least I'd be off the abx. Also I got potassium citrate today at Whole Foods -- it was recommended in a Chronic Yeast book that I got. Has anyone used that before?

#373 of 1043 Old 11-04-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
When I got into the doctor today for my UTI, I told him of my trouble with yeast infections for the last few months while on the abx, and I asked him about Nystatin. He said no one he knows has prescribed that for a long time (at least in the US, he said). Is it really that rare here?
When I sspected that DS and I had thrush, my midwife prescribed it for both of us (liquid for me, suspension for him - too bad the suspension was $84 and we just couldn't afford it at the time!). And my mom was prescribed it recently because she had a white coating on her tongue....might be relevent that her HCP os a DO.

I got scared off Nystatin back then because ppl would talk about the sugar (well, lactose or whatever) in it. I wish I had taken it.
#374 of 1043 Old 11-04-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Hi, Kathy. I've recently chosen to take dd off all sugars for the time being. Like your son, she can only have certain things as it is...so for her it meant cutting out fruits, dried fruits (I think this is huge for her as this is her treat, often times), honey, agave, and date sugar. *sigh* I have.got.to.get this under control. I hate limiting these things as she is not quite four and sometimes it's tough to explain...I told her that she can have honey on her pancakes when her legs get better. Also, she's been on the threelac for a week now and no ill effects (even tho we are cf). Unfortunately, yeast doesn't distinguish between "healthy" sugars and refined...I think it's helping...
Quoting myself here, lol. I just wanted to update. DD and I have been on threelac for about two weeks now (I think) and she is doing so much better! Her moods are so much more even, her legs are clearing and she is talking and laughing and no stuttering --I am thrilled! DH commented on it last night. She still has a difficult time getting to sleep, but wow! (I, on the other hand, still have thrush and have been sick, but I think it's a healing crisis as my body fights off the yeast. But, sheesh...what was supposed to be a two month supply is almost gone in two weeks! (So worth it, tho!)
:::
Kathy, I cheated two, which is why I think I still have thrush and dd is clearing...arggh...healing vibes...

typos likely

#375 of 1043 Old 11-04-2008, 04:13 PM

My Threelac hasn't come yet!!

Also, Calm: I got my pH test strips today and my saliva was between 7.0-8.0 (it shows a different color for 2.0-6.0, 7.0-8.0, 9.0-10.0, 11.0-12.0). That was at 2pm, and hadn't eaten yet if that makes a difference.

#376 of 1043 Old 11-04-2008, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

k, how is the yeast infection? Things can flare before they die down. I assume that is what happened, although I'm interested to know how it goes.

You may have an emotional override affecting your pH. You can do a test for that now you have the strips. I'll explain that in a sec.

Basically, both the urine and saliva should be at 6.4 to get the most out of food. The more it deviates from that over a 24 hour period, the more issues are apparent. They should also stay within 0.5 of each other, with the urine always more acid than the saliva. The greater the spread, the worse the illness.

To acidify both saliva and urine:
Corn silk tea, Watermelon seed tea, Yellow dock, Apple cider vinegar, Ascorbic acid, Cranberry juice

To alkalise both:
Chaparral, Lemon juice and water, Prune juice, Apricots, Cauliflower and Corn.

To acidify urine/alkalise saliva:

Red or green cabbage, Hominy, Whole wheat bread toasted, Baked beans, Cornmeal, Cottage cheese.

To alkalize urine/acidify saliva:
Bleu cheese, Fresh carrot juice, Tomato juice, Orange juice.

The emotional override test is thus:
Not first thing in the morning, but during the normal course of the day, wait at least two hours without putting anything into your mouth. Work up some saliva and wet the paper with it without touching your tongue with the paper. Write down the result, it is your personal "normal".

Then, get a slice of lemon and suck on it until it is all through your mouth. Dump the lemon, and swallow several times and repeat the paper test. Write down this result.

Now you have 3 possibilities: two numbers that are the same, the first higher than the second or the second higher than the first. Let me know what yours was, if it is in colour, describe how the colours changed.

Quote:
When I got into the doctor today for my UTI, I told him of my trouble with yeast infections for the last few months while on the abx, and I asked him about Nystatin. He said no one he knows has prescribed that for a long time (at least in the US, he said). Is it really that rare here? He said he could give me Diflucan. But now he's trying me on Flomax (for prostate enlargement in med) and see if that helps. At least I'd be off the abx.
They often don't prescribe it because MDs aren't trained to recognise the link between the gut and health, and as nystatin only treats the gut, they can't see why to bother.

Nystatin is my treatment of choice as it is not absorbed, exactly the reason why some doctors want to avoid it really. It only treats the yeast in the gut because it doesn't get into the system. It is very safe because of this, and no adverse affects have ever been seen on anyone, including newborns of mothers using it and debilitated infants.

Something to keep in mind about any man made antifungal is that yeast, like bacteria, can become resistant to drugs. If you take a systemic yeast killer, not only is there a systemic burden on you, but your yeast may get stronger. It isn't something I recommend for the long haul, but instead to decrease the toxic load at the beginning of the treatment. Nystatin has been tested for this and no resistance has been apparent, was non-sensitising at greater doses at lengths of time.

Fluconazole/diflucan, on the other hand, is absorbed high in the gut, so it doesn't hit the yeast in the gut, which is the mother lode. It is used for systemic yeast issues, such as MS, eczema, etc, however, the main issue won't be as effectively addressed as it is in the blood stream, not head to head in the bowel contents itself. It also has common side effects, and some less common such as loss of libido due to the effects it has on hormones and the liver. It can cause other issues, basically, so should only be used after a trial of natural anti yeast treatments and nystatin have both failed to eradicate the problem completely.

The reason to only treat the gut yeast is because your immune system can kill the yeast if that burden is taken off it. The immune system can be relied on for most things, even a sluggish immune system can keep you alive and relatively healthy. Well, we'd be dead if it didn't, and it's amazing what our immunity can do and does do every second of our life.

However, as mentioned, yeast is not an ordinary foe. It evades your immune system in many many ways and therefore is never fully eradicated and it keeps your immune system busy and taxed. Your body is always on the look out for yeast, fighting it everywhere benign or not, as long as there are kilos of it in your gut. In fact, the yeast itself is not the problem, it is the chemicals the yeast produce that are the toxicity. They travel to your brain, causing depression, anxiety, autism, etc and certain chemicals also trigger alcoholism and addiction. The chemicals also wreak havok on your hormone system, liver, kidneys, you name it. All this is absorbed in your gut, like food is. The load is in the gut, it is where 80% (minimum) of your immune system is, and where much of your neurotransmitters are made, including melatonin, needed to regulate sleep – and so many other things.

So the practitioner has a point, there are places nystatin won't reach, and there are cases where fluconozole is appropriate, such as an eczema breakout, severe and systemic yeast such as diabetes and MS. But for allergies, which is this thread, you want to treat the gut, and you want the product you use to be in the gut as much as possible – this is best achieved with nystatin or a probiotic that has above average yeast killing properties as these two things are gut specific.

In other news, I want to RAVE about Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, what a miracle bug!! Please, GET IT. It has cleared eczema in several people I know now. It really does what it promises, and I am very impressed.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#377 of 1043 Old 11-04-2008, 10:34 PM

wow, thank you so much. you really answered my question fully. your knowledge about yeast, gut health and physiology is intimidating, im amazed. how do you know all this?!
im going to call my md and discuss your points with him, since he was willing to be as aggressive or gentle as i wanted with this treatment. i really wish we could take threelac - i feel like i would be eager to try that in combo with nystatin because i really want to get rid of this yeast as fast as possible. we've been at this so long, kwim? the threelac just has those odd ball ingredients that she cant have...
#378 of 1043 Old 11-04-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm View Post
k, how is the yeast infection? Things can flare before they die down. I assume that is what happened, although I'm interested to know how it goes.
Yeast infection was being treated by monistat-ish (generic) suppositories for 3 days (Wednesday - Friday) and all the symptoms of that seem to be gone. The doctor said the Augmentin was the worst yeast infection producer, but it's been working on me, so I'm on that for 7 days and doing Flomax to see if that helps. If it doesn't, he said he'll put me on Tetracycline until summer, then switch me to something else. I know... how about we find out what is causing this in the first place? $%^@$^^%^^ Sorry.

Quote:
Basically, both the urine and saliva should be at 6.4 to get the most out of food. The more it deviates from that over a 24 hour period, the more issues are apparent. They should also stay within 0.5 of each other, with the urine always more acid than the saliva. The greater the spread, the worse the illness.
The pH test strips I got don't have the most accurate or minute numbers. I mean the ranges are pretty broad for each color.

Quote:
To alkalise both:
Chaparral, Lemon juice and water, Prune juice, Apricots, Cauliflower and Corn.

Last week I was doing lemon juice and water all day long for that entire week. And I'd been having a lot of corn (popcorn and tortilla chips), and we have cauliflower every 4 days. So shouldn't that have helped?

Quote:
To acidify urine/alkalise saliva:
Quote:
Red or green cabbage, Hominy, Whole wheat bread toasted, Baked beans, Cornmeal, Cottage cheese.
can't do gluten or cottage cheese. does cabbage in the form of saurkraut work? I've been eating it every day (and I have a batch brewing right now on my counter).

Quote:
The emotional override test is thus:
Not first thing in the morning, but during the normal course of the day, wait at least two hours without putting anything into your mouth. Work up some saliva and wet the paper with it without touching your tongue with the paper. Write down the result, it is your personal "normal".

Then, get a slice of lemon and suck on it until it is all through your mouth. Dump the lemon, and swallow several times and repeat the paper test. Write down this result.
Okay, since I hadn't eaten anything since dinner, I decided to do the experiment right when I read it.
Normal: yellow: 7.0-8.0
After lemon: between green blue:9.0-10.0 and blue:11.0-12.0
What's it mean?

Quote:
In other news, I want to RAVE about Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, what a miracle bug!! Please, GET IT. It has cleared eczema in several people I know now. It really does what it promises, and I am very impressed.
That is in my "Abx support" probiotic that I've been taking 2xday for the last 3-4 weeks.

Thanks for all the Nystatin info. I really need to find a new naturopath around here.... The doctor said I could see another urologist but I've already seen 5 and been tested up the wazoo (literally and figuratively) and he didn't know any more that I hadn't already seen.

#379 of 1043 Old 11-05-2008, 11:16 AM

i also am taking the l.rhamnosus, although i never called and checked which specific strain (you mentioned gg and another...) because this is the only one that i could find that has no ingredients that dd reacts to.
#380 of 1043 Old 11-05-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasmama2007 View Post
i also am taking the l.rhamnosus, although i never called and checked which specific strain (you mentioned gg and another...) because this is the only one that i could find that has no ingredients that dd reacts to.
Are you doing the Kirkman one? Have you noticed any improvements since starting it? (Are you taking it or your LO?)

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#381 of 1043 Old 11-05-2008, 03:30 PM

we are both taking kirkmans lactobacillus duo ,inulin-free. i take 2 caps/day and dd takes 1 cap/day. now we also started this vsl#3 which has a bunch of lactobacillus and bifido strains, but not the rhamnosus. i havent noticed improvement with either, but we do have yeast overgrowth, so i think i have to get that under control first before we'll really heal, kwim?
#382 of 1043 Old 11-05-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
other news, I want to RAVE about Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, what a miracle bug!! Please, GET IT. It has cleared eczema in several people I know now. It really does what it promises, and I am very impressed.
Where can I find this?
And is it dairy and rice-free?
#383 of 1043 Old 11-05-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention an important point (I'll come back for the other stuff later), about L. Rham. It is a minimum of 20 BILLION a day. I have two bottles here of probiotics, one contains L. Rham, one simply IS that, and nothing else. The one that contains it has 333000, it would do nothing for eczema. They have tested it, they found that it must be a massive dose. I'd have to take that whole bottle every day to reach what I get in one teaspoon full of the other stuff. They also found it must be taken alone, without other bacteria. It is also most effective for eczema when taken by the mother when bfing apparently, although I've seen it work in the baby.

I have only ever found it in a 20 billion dose in this brand: Ethical Nutrients Eczema Shield
Quote:
Therapeutic applications:

A clinical trial showed that when taken by mothers during pregnancy and breastfeeding, Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG®) strain may:

* Reduce the incidence of children developing eczema.
* Reduce the symptoms of eczema such as itching and sleeplessness.
* Reduce the incidence of children with atopic conditions including allergic rhinitis and food allergy.

Product Shot:
eczema-shield.gif
Directions:
Directions for use:

Mothers: Take 4 g (one heaped metric teaspoon) daily for the last two months of pregnancy and during breastfeeding or as directed by a healthcare professional.

Formula fed infants: Take ½ metric teaspoon daily mixed with formula or as directed by a healthcare professional.
Misc:

If symptoms persist consult your healthcare professional. Do not use if cap and/or bottle seals are missing or broken.

No added flavouring, colouring or preservatives. Free from wheat, gluten, cereals, milk, eggs, starches, yeast and salt.

Ethical Nutrients are proud supporters of the Eczema Association of Australasia.
Storage:
Store at 2ºC to 8ºC. (Refrigerate. Do not freeze.)

#384 of 1043 Old 11-05-2008, 05:40 PM

[QUOTE=Calm;12546101]I forgot to mention an important point (I'll come back for the other stuff later), about L. Rham. It is a minimum of 20 BILLION a day. I have two bottles here of probiotics, one contains L. Rham, one simply IS that, and nothing else. The one that contains it has 333000, it would do nothing for eczema. They have tested it, they found that it must be a massive dose. I'd have to take that whole bottle every day to reach what I get in one teaspoon full of the other stuff. They also found it must be taken alone, without other bacteria. It is also most effective for eczema when taken by the mother when bfing apparently, although I've seen it work in the baby.
QUOTE]

The one I have "ABx Support" by Klaire Labs is 2x/day and each capsule has:
Saccharomyces boulardi 5+ billion
Lactobacillus rhamnosus 2.5+ billion
Bifidobacterium bifidum 1.25+ billion
Bifidobacterium breve 1.25+ billion

It says it's free of: dairy, wheat, corn, soy, gluten, casein. No sugar, magnesium stearate, maltodextrin, artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors, salicylates, or preservatives. The other ingredients that are listed: inulin base derived from chicory root, Vcaps vegetarian capsule, water, and L-leuicine.

So I'd need to take 8 of these a day to get the minimum I need. But I don't know what that does to the other probiotics in there. Can I overdose on them?

#385 of 1043 Old 11-05-2008, 07:25 PM

My question is do you need the excema dose if you don't have excema?I have yeast rash, but never any excema. So would another product be better suited for that.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#386 of 1043 Old 11-05-2008, 08:56 PM

I don't have eczema either, just what I'm thinking is yeast. So do I need that high a dose too? I'm having a hard time getting all the supplements in during the day. Some of them are supposed to be with meals. Some of them away from meals. Some when there's no other supplements taken. So I don't think I'm getting them all in a day. I have:

prescriptions:
Augmentin (twice a day)
Levoxyl (thyroid) 1 tablet every morning 1 hr. before breakfast
Flomax (bladder) 1 capsule every night before bed

herbals/supplements (are any redundant? or the more the merrier?):
ABx Support (with L. Rhamnosus) it says 2 capsules daily with meals
Candex 2 capsules 1 hr. before breakfast and 2 capsules at bedtime (at least 2 hrs. after a meal) - it's what it says on bottle
Vitamin D (2000mg) 1 a day (I take it before bed) -- I have osteopenia
Cal/Mag (200mg) 1 a day (take it with a meal because it makes me nauseous; I should be taking 3-4 a day, but so far I've only been able to take 1)
Travacor: 2 capsules before bed (helps me sleep) - naturopath recommended for Adrenals
Chewable Acidophilus (3 wafers a day; my kids get this one too)
Ultra Pure High Potency Fish Oil (2 capsules am/2 capsules pm) recommended by naturopath for reducing inflammation (didn't do anything for that, but brought my cholesterol down to normal finally!)

Things I've been taking haphazardly because I can't figure out when to take them:
Oxygen Elements (7 drops in 8 oz. water 3xday -- I've been doing it at least 1x/day)
Black Walnut/Wormwood (28-56 drops 3xday in a little water) -- bottle says can only be taken for short term (up to 10 days) so I only did that 1 day last week
Oil of oregano (1-4 drops in water, 1-2xdaily). I've been getting this in 1xday)

Things I haven't tried yet (but have the bottles):
Healthy Trinity (Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Lactobacillus Bulgaricus): 1 capsule with filtered water, with meals (2 hours apart from herbs, garlic or prescription drugs)
Enzymedica Digest Gold (1 capsule before each meal)
GarlicFactors (1 per day) - recommended in the Anti-yeast book I got
Potassium Citrate (1 tablet daily) - also recommended in the Anti-yeast book

I guess the thing is if I take it all at once, is that better because I'm doing a full frontal attack? Or should I be doing things some at a time to determine what works? Or do part until it stops working, then switch? I still haven't gotten my Threelac (ordered last week) and that will have to be worked in as well.

And I should expect to get worse before I get better (die off), right? And then I'll know it's working?

#387 of 1043 Old 11-05-2008, 08:57 PM

Holy cow. Some of them were on my kitchen windowsill, the prescriptions were in the linen closet (locked), the chewable acidophilus is with the kids' stuff, the ABx support is in the fridge, and the some of the supplements were in a different bin in the linen closet. Now that they're all in front of me? Yikes! I have a pharmacy.

#388 of 1043 Old 11-05-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
And I should expect to get worse before I get better (die off), right? And then I'll know it's working?
That's how I understand it--and man, it must be working as I've been sick ever since I got on the threelac, ect. Can I please get over this and move on? *sigh*.
So far, I've had allergies then a sore throat, then a sinus infection and now a cough that just robs me of energy...all in two weeks--just movin thru the phases, right?

typos likely

#389 of 1043 Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not actually sure exactly how that bacterium works on eczema. I know antiiflammatory factors and so forth are higher in the breastmilk of women taking it, and that it does something to the immune system of the eczema sufferer, and lines the gut with a good guy, leaving less room for the bad guy. But really, I'm not sure how far the scope is for it. I do know that when I stop using it, within days my son's skin gets a little thingy. nothing like it used to, but it definitely shows when I stop. And it is known as a transitory bug, it only stays for a short while. We were meant to eat them regularly, but I'm a bit slack with fermented things at the moment.

K, I'm fairly sure you can't OD on those strains. Although, that would end up rather expensive. Perhaps you could get it shipped into the US from Aust. for less, esp with the dollar so strong against the Aussie dollar right now, almost half price. And again, I don't know how appropriate that bug is for your issues either. Although it does look promising. The good thing about your probiotic is you have a yeast in it. With all the yeast killing we need to replace the good yeast (stupid cycle, isn't it?). Have you ever read The Yeast Connection? You might get a lot out of that. It talk of cystitis and interstitial cystitis and bladder infections and the connection.
Quote:
Okay, since I hadn't eaten anything since dinner, I decided to do the experiment right when I read it.
Normal: yellow: 7.0-8.0
After lemon: between green blue:9.0-10.0 and blue:11.0-12.0
What's it mean?
I don't know how to say this without being alarming but...

DEAR GOD!!!

Are those numbers right??

First, the numbers going up is a good sign. From yellow to green to blue is good. Your pattern indicates that there is anxiety, or that you are on guard all the time, but really isn't all that bad. However, the numbers themselves are alarming. You're starting too alkaline, but then you get into the kind of alkaline that would be absolutely burning your flesh. Literally. Ammonia is about 9, and it cleans bathroom sinks. Lye is 14, and it will strip paint and eat flesh. Bases are as strong as acid the further they get from mid point, which is 7. A pH of 1/2 will eat through steel, and so will a pH at the other end of the spectrum, 13/14.

Not only is that so alkaline no good bacteria could live there, it is a welcome mat for pathogenic bacteria and yeasts. Everytime you knock out the bacteria, the yeasts remain and they support the bad guys reproducing (this is proven in labs and clinical trials). You have GOT to be on an anti-yeast treatment, for as long as you are on antibiotics. I recommend nystatin because it is safe and not absorbed, however, the yeasts are probably right through you and you'll need more help than that. Big guns, like oreganol and other systemic yeast fighters.

Did you ever do the acid ash challenge, testing the urine pH after two days of eating crap (acid foods)? I bet that has a good tale to tell too.

Acidify your urine, post haste. Sauerkraut acidifies saliva only. Eat walnuts. What happens when you drink cranberry? And most importantly, follow the alkalising side of one of those charts closely, lots of greens stuff and chlorophyll, seaweed. We want to increase your alkaline reserve to help take the ammonia out of your kidneys and bladder/urine. Deep breathe. And by deep, I don't mean big. Slow, steady breaths LOW into the lung, as though you are breathing into your gut. Don't take big breaths. On my blog, read about CO2 and asthma. It's not about the asthma, but about how to breathe well and help to heal. You can first do the CO2 test

Lemme know how you go (what your CP is).

Then, read breath control exercises
and Asthma, The Truth which has breath control for children.

Ignore the fact that it is about asthma, as it is about healing.

Gotta run again...

#390 of 1043 Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

cross posts...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page