My research: CSS - c-section syndrome (causing allergies) - Page 35 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2009, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
There is a fascinating program called Juice Feasting. http://www.juicefeasting.com/ It is no food, just juice.

Generally, I've been reading that fruit is ideally consumed separately from vegetables, due to acidity issues. The fruit just ferments in the stomach, rather than being digested rapidly, as when eaten alone.

I believe it is more palatable for folks to try green juice, if there is a fruit base, however. Currently, we just juice vegetables (plus a lemon) in the mornings. And make smoothies with fruit in the afternoon, tossing in some baby spinach.

Pat
Wow. This thread has taken quite a turn.

Pat, fruits and veggies combines is generally NOT a good scene. However In Boutenko's writings she explains that greens aren't the same as veggies. The leafies are in a class all their own which is why they can be readily combined with fruits. You may know that already, but I figured I'd post it.

I have done the green juice feasting (I don't love the taste or idea of juicing fruit personally) and while it felt great I didn't have all the nasty symptoms. I'm really not sure I would do that for a kiddo. I only did it because it felt like a good idea and I was drawn to it. IT was actually a great feeling.

I have also done a lot of research on the frugivore stuff and even tried it (following Doug Graham's program in order to eliminate yeast.) IT totally worked-I have posted about it before maybe 2 years ago. It was an amazing feeling, but not sustainable for me. IT was VERY expensive and I didn't feel so great after awhile. I never did it as a lifestyle choice, but more as a "hey, this guy says that this will help...is he nuts or what?" I just can't see it being sustainable. I know a few families (not in real life) that are frugivores...in fact there is a family that publicizes their lifestyle that are and I have never thought the kids looked all that great. Narrow palates, crowded teeth, way too thin etc. Anyway-it's just one family but they've put themselves out there to champion the cause publicly declaring that they are the healthiest people they know so I think it's okay to evaluate!

Long story short...I don't agree with the above post at all in terms of natural diet based on my own research and experiences. IF that were the case we'd see some indigenous cultures that ate like that throughout history. But it's an interesting idea to explore to be sure.

There is a book that is very interesting called Primal Mothering that discusses the fruitarian diet and babies. She discusses how fruit is the natural food for infants. It might of interest to those thinking about it.

WRT the digestive systems....they are consistent (again in my research) with the idea that we are omnivores. They are longer than a carnivores and shorter than an herbivores. There is, of course much else to say on the matter. However this is a debate that has never been settled in science, and likely never will be except within our own hearts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 01:03 PM

I suppose I still belong here, sigh. I never did get rid of the yeasties on my breast, but it did get to a point where it didn't bother me anymore (pain), so as I had so man other things going on, it got placed on a back burner.
Now am wanting to be over it, as I can see it flaring in pregnancy. (Am not preg. yet).
I am trying mycostat (caprilic acid) and water kefir.

I guess we'll see what happens...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 07-06-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Regarding breastfeeding, it is the best thing for it. The amount of nutrition I got while on a juice fast is probably 10 times that of a SAD diet. That's the general misconception, that to eat well while pregnant or nursing is to eat a lot of carbs and protein and crap. It's just not so. We need to eat a lot of nutrients, and that's entirely different to eating just a lot of "food".

I'm not a frugivore myself. I also agree that children have such a hankering for sweet things for a reason. I think we tend to quench that with the wrong things, but it is there. Very few children like, or can even eat with any ease, green veggies. I think the diet of humans changes with stages and if we were living a more natural existence we would be able to hear those needs from within ourselves.

The treatment for yeast still stands. I have just found that to keep it at bay, alkalising is all but essential. It is the acidic burden that allows the beasties to take that foothold. Staying alkaline can be difficult but I make sure my daughter drinks a green shot if she has anything too acid forming. It's about balance. But initially, that cleanse is the introduction to it. Trying to battle acid burden while still eating acid forming foods is an uphill battle that isn't my cup of tea. I find it much easier and way healthier to spend some time just throwing myself into what my body really needs and supporting it as it purges.

I recommend it. All those who were doing the nystatin or threelac and whatnot who couldn't sustain the result may find this makes the essential difference. Autoimmunity responds particularly well, such as lupus and MS because they are such systemic fungal issues.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
Old 07-06-2009, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Also, regarding bfing, the milk contains a lot of rubbish generally. All bodily fluids are places the body dumps waste - sweat, menstrual blood, urine, discharges such as mucous etc. Cleansing, in my opinion, is not something that can wait until feeding is finished. The best thing we can do is clean up the milk while feeding - why make clean milk when it is of no use to the child anymore?

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
Old 07-06-2009, 06:59 PM

I agree. However I do think that caution needs to be taken with regards to detoxification.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Yes.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:28 AM

subbing
Old 10-22-2009, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, this thread is so amazing. It could keep a person reading for days!
Old 01-31-2010, 05:15 PM

I'll add my info FWIW, although my real interest is more related to prevention since I know that I'll be having a CS in 6.5 weeks...

Baby #1-drug free water birth. I had major bleeding issues however so I was shot full of all sorts of things and also had multiple blood transfusions (they give abx at the same time as blood as standard practice). DD was breast fed, however they did give her a couple ounces (give or take) of soy formula while I was having surgery under general to address the bleeding (she was 2 days old). Otherwise she was exclusively BF for 7+ mos, and continued to BF until she self-weaned at 2.5 years. She had oral abx once at around 11 mos. for a double ear infection, and also used a topical antibiotic cream on occasion for a blistery diaper rash that she used to get (that I think was related to detergent buildup on her CDs). She struggled with constipation as soon as we started her on solid food at around 7.5 mos. to the point where by age 3 she would go 7-10 days between BMs. This was sorted out through a long journey with probiotics, enzymes, supplements, laxatives, diet, etc. She has been laxative-free for a couple years and maintains regularity with strong probiotics, Calcium/magnesium supplements, and a GF/CF diet. She has shown food sensitivities to gluten, casein, corn, food dyes, and sugars. We've monitored gut health via stool tests for years and she has never had a balanced gut. She has also never had a dry night at almost 7 yrs. old even though she's been day "trained" for almost 4 yrs. We have struggled with her in areas related to behavior-anxiety, coping/soothing skills, emotion regulation, as well as fine/gross motor development, sensory sensitivity, etc but have found a lot of help through supplementation. She was high needs since birth. I would say she's "high maintenance" now, but a pretty great, easy to be with kid on the whole at this point.

Baby #2 Emergency C-S due to transverse breech position. Had IV abx. in hospital. We had nursing difficulties for months (I would have severe pain) but it began immediately after birth and I never saw overt signs of thrush in either her or me. The nursing improved after she had some chiropractic adjustments. She was EBF'd for about a year and I didn't introduce any grains until about 18 mos. I also noticed some constipation when we introduced solids, so I backed off gluten/dairy for her too. She would become rashy, constipated, and have increased sleep disturbances. DD has never been on oral abx, although she too used a topical abx. cream for diaper rash maybe 2 times. I personally have been on approx. 3-5 rounds of oral abx. while nursing her because I kept getting tooth/sinus infections and needing root canals and eventually a tooth extraction/graft/replacement. DD nursed until about 3.5 years when I needed to wean her due to complications with my current pregnancy. I suspect she'll resume nursing once I have this baby. She seems to be intolerant to gluten, casein, and maybe peanuts/nuts and soy. She's slept through the night a handful of times ever. As far as her demeanor, she's a pretty happy, easy kid.

Baby #3-Will be a scheduled C-S next month because I have a classical incision on my uterus from birth #2 and I'm also fairly high risk for placenta abruption and other ugliness due to SCHs with this pregnancy, homozygous MTHFR c677t mutation, and Hx of placenta/bleeding problems with pregnancy. Of course, I'll be having IV abx with the surgery (don't think it's an option to avoid that). I intend to EBF for a good year before introducing solids and being conservative when adding potential allergens. I'm not exactly sure what to do to help my/baby's gut either in anticipation of or following the surgery, but I'd love to set him/her up for a healthier start than my first two seemed to get. I do take Primal Defense Ultra probiotics (in tablet form) twice/day/

Words of wisdom welcome (and appreciated)

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:36 PM

Mamatoto2, I'm sure someone who is in the know will be by soon.

Ok, I just have to say, some friends and I were talking about why so many kids have allergies these days. And after pondering it, I thought, well maybe it's due to c-sections and overhappy anti-biotics use. I thought I was a whiz or something, and here's this thread! heh. I've only started reading, but what a great resource.

signature currently in transition
Old 02-02-2010, 06:54 PM

Gosh this thread will take me days to get through!
My info FWIW
1st babe c-section due to cord preventing descent and causing distress. Antibiotics immediately following birth. Babe suspected to have inhaled meconium in the NICU. Given formula in the NICU due to low blood sugar before colostrum. Lactose intolerant during pregnancy so I drank soy milk unaware of the dangers. Started on grain cereals first again unaware of dangers. Had a hives reaction to soy in a cereal at 7 mos. Has had consistent reactions throughout life but has never been soy free until about 3 mos ago due to my ignorance on what soy was in and what the *symptoms* of his allergies were. He had an anaphylactic reaction that forced us to really look at his diet. He's soy free but he still has eczema and the allergic shiners present and we are currently dealing with major diarrhea. Self-weaned at 17mos. Had 2 rounds of vaxes at 2 and 4 mos again due to ignorance. This parenting thing forces you to learn vast amounts of information at a rapid rate. He's on a probiotic 2x/day maybe I should up it 3?, 2 tsp safflower oil for omega 6, Vit C powder 1 G/day, epsom salt baths, Vit D 2000 iu/day. He is almost 4. Looking back he had incontinence issues, behavioural and immune issues all along. But the breastfeeding provided him a lot of protection. He never got sick until he was weaned. Probably has more allergies and sensitivities we do not know about.

2nd babe currently 12mo - Also a c-section but not an emergency. Had a cord malformation causing distress shown on a NST at 41wks. No abx in labour, after or during pg. 'colicky', a screamer, intense digestive upset for 3 wks which improved with probiotics. Reacts to wheat and dairy with a major diaper rash, intense emotional upset, constipation, sleeplessness. Seems alright with it through breastmilk but not in solid format. Currently only on VitD. 1000iu/day.
Both kids had cradle cap and scalp issues.
I'm trying to get a handle on this by introducing more nutrient dense foods and lessening the sugar in our diets. I've only just starting to try and heal us but I'm finding the guessing game frustrating. Totally eliminating sugar and yeast is not an option yet. I don't have the willpower yet. I'm going to try the homeopathy route for the allergies first. I did get treated for yeast with my first homeopathically and did fermalac supps with both kids for what I believed was yeast but when swabbed came back negative.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillarilla View Post
This parenting thing forces you to learn vast amounts of information at a rapid rate.
Ain't that the truth!

One thing that just stood out to me in your post- is there a specific reason why you're doing the safflower oil? You really want omega-3's, NOT 6's- most people have way too much omega 6 in their diet (from refined oils, etc) and not enough 3's- and that causes inflammation. I would recommend using cod liver oil or another good source of omega 3's to decrease inflammation and hopefully help with the food allergies. You will get plenty of 6's through diet alone- you definitely do not want to supplement additionally.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:03 PM

I am going to have to read through this thread as this is what happened to us, my DD and I. Failure to advance to emergency c-section. She and I BOTH were given antibiotics after the birth b/c I spiked a fever during labor. It was the first thing she ever ingested. I was so doped up on the 24 hours worth of morphine they gave me to really understand what was going on. I am still angry. Anyway, she has an egg allergy and can't digest milk protiens. I nursed for as long as I could eliminating, everything I possibly could but eventually I just put her on neocate b/c I was working F/T. Oh, and she has eczema. Which her father has and his family links it to his father being in Vietnam and Agent Orange. I now have it after giving birth to my DD, the same thing happened to his mother. I don't know how true that is though.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:39 PM

Hmmmmm I was told the opposite by a naturopath that the omega 6 was needed to help decrease the inflammation and that the flax oil I was using for omega 3 was inflammatory. Actually since starting him on the safflower oil his eczema has died down as well as the strength of his reactions. I'm so confused

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 02-03-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillarilla View Post
Hmmmmm I was told the opposite by a naturopath that the omega 6 was needed to help decrease the inflammation and that the flax oil I was using for omega 3 was inflammatory. Actually since starting him on the safflower oil his eczema has died down as well as the strength of his reactions. I'm so confused
Ack! Seriously?! Here's some info:

Quote:
Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation, and some omega-6 fatty acids tend to promote inflammation. The typical American diet tends to contain 14 - 25 times more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3 fatty acids.
It's possible that your LO is having a reaction to the flax itself, which of course would create inflammation. But as far as the omega 3s/6s, your ND definitely has it backwards!!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, I agree with Jessica, omega 3s are the anti-inflammatory. The optimum diet has 1:1 omega 6 to omega 3. The SAD has 20:1, I believe it is. I was on a lot of fish oil (omega 3s) for decreasing inflammation.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 02-03-2010, 01:23 AM

Yeah I googled it. I guess that's what I get for not doing the research myself . What foods other than fish oils are high in Omega 3's?

Old 12-05-2010, 05:11 PM

bumping.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:58 PM

So. Overwhelmed! I feel like I'm understanding some of what's been said here but I also feel like such a newbie at this!! I have questions-lots. I only got to page 5 before my brain started buzzing but my heart needs more info!!

Here is our info:

Me: Sugar cravings, acne, dairy intolerance, severe mood swings and a yeast infection that I'm battling right now!

DS (21 months old): dairy allergies manifesting as eczema. Possible other allergy presenting as cradle cap, crusties behind his ears and rough leg skin. Very, very frequent yeast type diaper rash that started Immediately after birth, troubles sleeping and I think that's it.

Here I go with questions:

Is a yeast elimination process (nystatin and probiotics) ok during pregnancy? I'm worried about the die off hurting my unborn child. I'm also still nursing my toddler.

Is OoO safe during PG? I recently asked my ND's partner (a brand new ND) this and she said she thought it was too strong. How many drops should I be taking per day?

Is OoO safe for my 21 month old, 26 lb toddler? If so, how many drops a day?

How long should we keep up the OoO regimin?

Oh, I'm so overwhelmed!! Thanks for all the great info, mamas!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 AM

There are as many opinions as people. I would not choose OoO. I wouldn't want to dump toxins into my breastmilk or fetus. I would stop dairy (for both/3 of you), apply coconut oil topically and keep a food journal for the two weeks trying to find a pattern to the eczema. Skin is a detox pathway, so I wouldn't want to ADD die-off toxins into circulation.

Did you have antibiotics during this pregnancy? Do you have/had any mercury fillings in your mouth? Are you consuming any whole food probiotics?

Topically, coconut oil will help cradle cap and yeast. But, you have to identify the underlying cause. In general, yeast is a manifestation of an imbalanced gut.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 AM

There are as many opinions as people. I would not choose OoO. I wouldn't want to dump toxins into my breastmilk or fetus. I would stop dairy (for both/3 of you), apply coconut oil topically and keep a food journal for the two weeks trying to find a pattern to the eczema. Skin is a detox pathway, so I wouldn't want to ADD die-off toxins into circulation.

Did you have antibiotics during this pregnancy? Do you have/had any mercury fillings in your mouth? Are you consuming any whole food probiotics?

Topically, coconut oil will help cradle cap and yeast. But, you have to identify the underlying cause. In general, yeast is a manifestation of an imbalanced gut.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantald View Post

You won't like my answer..

I had two unplanned c/s with my first two. I was on abx twice with pregnancy #1 and during and after delivery. I was on abx once with #2 but not during delivery. Neither of them have any food allergies although they are both lactose intolerant, had gut issues, yeast problems and the first was dairy protein intolerant as an infant until we healed his gut. They have seasonal allergies..

baby #3 was a natural homebirth, I was on abx once during my pregnancy but took probiotics. This is my allergy baby.. He had a hives reaction to green beans. Had terrible reflux. Is very sensitive to potatos, sweet potatos. Soy and Rice seem to give him pudding stools. He cannot tolerate milk, even lactose free items.
While his skin and blood testing came back that he has "no" allergies.. his reactions to when he ate/eats things seems to indicate differently..

Not to side track the thread, but have you considered FPIES?  Negative testing for allergies is common with FPIES.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
Old 02-24-2012, 04:02 PM

bump, the thread that started it all...

I have a blog.

User Tag List