Possibly allergies... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd has recently had some anger issues and after talking with my chiro we decided that we would decrease her dairy intake, this maybe causing her behavioral issues. I started noticing recently that she is fine when she wakes up in the am, but within an hour of drinking milk or eating cheese she is so irrate. The Dr thinks it could be the milk b/c she craves it so much. He explained that sometimes our bodies crave what we are allergic to. Has anyone else had a child's behavior change do to food allerrgies or any other allergies? If so, what did you do?

Also dd has had UTI's every other month for the last 10 months and has been tested for kidney/bladder problems, all came back with no signs of problems. Ds was diagnosed with kidney reflux at 5 weeks old and b/c of dd symptoms the urologist put her on an antibiotic regimen, that has not worked. Now we are trying a homeopathic treatment called Detoxosode, there are 3 stages; bacteria, virus and clear all, each for 10 days, she will also take acidopoliss (sp) as well. Anyone out there familiar with this regimen?

Yoga loving momma to DD Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08 , DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason .
Namaste
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If dairy is causing the behavior problems, I wouldn't "decrease" it. I would remove it completely. Soy does that to my DS within 20 minutes, and the tantrums and anger lasts for 8 days. He does not get soy unless it's by accident (the last time was in May when he had a hamburger -- silly me, I thought a hamburger was made of BEEF). He also wets the bed whenever he has dairy. So I know that foods can cause bladder problems and behavior problems. You can do an eliminatin diet to determine the food, or use a food journal and write down everything she eats and her behavior and other symptoms. Since you're having reactions with both kids, it might be easier to do an elimination diet at this point, both kids (or whole family) at the same time. I used the one from Doris Rapp's Is This Your Child? (which is mostly about behaviors and food).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 08-03-2008, 11:25 AM

I agree with the pp about eliminating ALL dairy.

As far as your regimen, if you choose to eliminate ALL dairy, I'd watch out for the homeopathic stuff. It almost always has lactose. Probiotics are also grown on dairy unless they specificially say they are not. DS who has anaphylaxis to dairy would react to medical grade lactose in homeopathics.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:10 PM

I agree- cut all dairy completely. And find a good dairy-free probiotic to help build up your LO's immune system from the antibiotics.

Is This Your Child by Doris Rapp talks a lot about how food allergies can cause behavior problems.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Is This Your Child by Doris Rapp talks a lot about how food allergies can cause behavior problems.
I requested this book from the library. Thanks for the help.

Yoga loving momma to DD Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08 , DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason .
Namaste

User Tag List