Yeast, Eczema, Leaky Gut to Healing the Gut - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-10-2008, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to meet others who are trying to heal their Leaky Gut by controlling the yeast over-growth via diet and life-style choice. My children are on a strict diet because of eczema. I did SCD with no sugar (including honey) for years. We are still on many SCD foods, since we are clear about which foods to avoid. We are still far from controlling the yeast. My intention for the children is to continue our way of eating with digestive enzyme and probiotics. After more research, and by meeting others who have tried some form of detox process, I will probably follow the same path.

Thanks,
greencat
#2 of 13 Old 08-10-2008, 04:26 PM

Hi there.

I'm wondering why you are sure there is still yeast overgrowth if you've been sugar and grain free for years??

Have you used any anti-fungals or digestive enzymes before?

As for detox, there's many good ways to go about this. One thing I did before ttc this time was to use psyllium and bentonite along with anti-fungals. There are other ways too. If you are not nursing you can be a lot more aggressive.
#3 of 13 Old 08-10-2008, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Good to hear from you, Joybird, and a good question. Yeast is very resistant, as of any fungus. Once it is in your system, you can be on anti-yeast diet, etc for years, and your problem may seem to be all gone, but the yeast is really being in just a dormant; just as cancer goes in 'remission.' Yeast is also very adaptable, and become resistant to many approaches that you may have tried to reduce it. It is my belief that most people have chronic problem are due to yeast, and detox is a must in order to re-colonize the damaged colon/GI, and strengthen the immune system.

I don't think we have controlled our yeast overgrowth because we still will experience die off when we try home made cultured foods, like sauerkraut and coconut water kefir

I’m done nursing. My DD is 6 and DS is 4. I’ve tried some detox on myself, but not successfully. I just need to reduce more yeast first, and try it again (with something I don't know yet.) I don’t know what or how I’m going ‘detox’ my kids who are so young.

So, here I am, looking for other MDC moms who may be on the same road of recovery.

Thanks you for your reply,
greencat
#4 of 13 Old 08-10-2008, 08:47 PM

From what I've been told, the diet is great but you need to add in anti-fungals and you need to rotate them every ten days.

What about enzymes? Candidase by Enzymedica between meals along with an anti-fungal would be quite powerful.

I think kids can do colon cleansing. Check out some of the formulations in the HFS or try the psyllium/bentonite cleanse. They might not like the taste/texture but I'm sure you could find a way to get it into them.

You know, you could also go the Nystatin route. It's apparently very safe and does eliminate the candida. My holistic MD suggested it, followed by the rotation 'parade' of natural anti-fungals. I haven't used it but it sounds like it really does work if you are also sticking to the diet.
#5 of 13 Old 08-10-2008, 10:32 PM

Have you heard of Threelac? We used it for yeast overgrowth in the beginning of our gut-healing journey and had a lot of success with it.
#6 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=joybird;11909510]the diet is great but you need to add in anti-fungals and you need to rotate them

I totally agree. I've always wanted to detox, but not while I was BFing. Also, I have no ND or anyone who can walk through the (what ever the form of) detox process with me here; which I'm not comfortable to do on my own especially for children this young.

The combo approach is a must. The closest NAET practitioner is two hrs. away, but may be we can travel better now my kids are a bit older. And we have a wonderful chiro. I need to look into Nyastatin, etc again, to see how I can best use it for our advantage. I wish I lived near your holistic ND.

I'm afraid that the longer you host the yeast, bigger the problem you're gonna have to deal with later. Yet, taking the step into detoxing my kids is a huge step for me.

We have been on digestive enzymes since I was nursing my second born. And, the kids are still on the SCD goat yogurt, religiously, every morning

By the way, I did look at HFS. It is one of the most promising products, I think. Is this something your ND had recommended?

Thanks, ladies!
greencat
#7 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 11:21 AM

A warning about Threelac. One of the ingredients is listed as a health danger in Australia.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#8 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post
A warning about Threelac. One of the ingredients is listed as a health danger in Australia.
That's very interesting! Thanks for posting that.
#9 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
That's very interesting! Thanks for posting that.
Indeed. I am not up to date on use of Nystatin, either. It was scratched off of my list long time ago... May be I'll look into it, again.

Thanks, Ladies,
greencat
#10 of 13 Old 08-12-2008, 12:04 AM

Well count us in, we are still around. DS is still very strict b/c of eczema too. He also has some true IgE allergies. I'm doing well eating most everything, WAPF style.

Why is nystatin not okay? We've never used it but a good friend is right now. She says only 3% is absorbed into bloodstream?
#11 of 13 Old 08-12-2008, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, Jane; I'm glad to have you here.

I’m thinking Nyastatin may work, if you used it in a conjunction with other form of detox, including low sugar, low carb diet, but only once in short burst. Otherwise, I'm afraid yeast will adapt to it, and you will be on the loosing battle; going back to where you'd started. However, with one less weapon to use for the round two (like in video games.) I believe yeast have to be treated in stages, with different ‘weapons.’

I once saw a book (pardon me, I don't remember the title) that spoke of how 'braziers' were responsible for breast cancer. I did not read the book, but the dots are connecting in my head that yeast causes cancer, along with many other disorders, disease and mysterious ‘syndromes.’ If you are wearing a bra all the time, mostly made of synthetic material, like nylon, I bet it will be cozy for the yeast to grow there, like a warm cradle. Once yeast is in your blood stream, it can grow anywhere in your body, just as any fungus will grow when the condition is right.

Both of my children now 6 and 4 had seizures before. My DD's was very mild, but my DS had few in a same day. It was both induced from high temp. I did not realize this till my DS had his, and after I was calm to think about this. They both had high temp: A natural course of body trying to rid of bacteria/virus. They all happened in March: Where we have lots of rain and things starting to grow. And, we were living in our old house at the time, with humidifier in our bed room to keep our room warm and comfortable (co-sleeper.) All the condition that the yeast will prefer.

I feel most people who are fighting to control yeast and yeast related problems by only looking at a part of the picture, but there is no silver bullet to concur the Yeasty Beastie.
#12 of 13 Old 08-13-2008, 10:05 PM

This is what appealed to me about enzymes, yeast cannot adapt to them right?

I was just reading about high temp seizures in Wendy Lydall's book How to Raise a Vaccine Free Child. She quotes research that they are rarely dangerous.
#13 of 13 Old 08-13-2008, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Theoretically, "NO" as I understand it. However, I don't think supplementing digestive enzyme is not enough to control yeast over-growth. It should be a part of your gut-healing program, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page